Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360!

At Paco, this is why it's a deathblow. The FF series has been a gateway for both the PS1 and PS2. Now that ball is in the 360's court.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Square-Enix would have been stupid not to release FF13 on 360 at this point. As stunned as I was that an FF game will be going multi-platform at launch, it makes perfect sense. A big part of the reason Sony dominated in the PS1/2 era was having the cream of the crop RPG's or getting them first. I think Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue were the only great RPGs that didn't find their way onto PS2, imho iirc. Now, the 360 is home to all the great RPGs atm. Sony just took too long to get their act together and as a result, lost the monopolistic stranglehold it had on the RPG market.

The 360 got the ball rolling with getting exclusivity from Mistwalker and has only garnered momentum since. While the PS3 has some potentially good exclusive RPG's in the pipeline in Valkyria Chronicles (34/40 Famitsu), Disgaea 3 (you either love it or hate it), and White Knight Story, it seems that any and all shots Sony had at establishing dominant market share in the RPG department have just dissipated with the slate of recent Squenix announcements (SO4 and last remnant being exclusive, multi-platform FF13).

A big part of the reason I bought my PS3 over the 360 was that I was assuming that FF13 was going to be an exclusive title, coupled with the ridiculous failure rate on the 360. I still don't really have any regrets as I've enjoyed my PS3 (Uncharted and MGS4 are great exclusives) and I still do plan on eventually getting a 360 and or its successor at some point. However, I have a feeling that any major rpg lovers who had not yet adopted a console up to this point holding out on a sony revival have to see the light of day. It is now the 360's time to shine. From here on in, it seems that RPGs will go the way of most other genres and multi-platform will be the name of the game.[/quote]

[quote name='dallow']Deathblow?[/quote]
Seriously. Its one game. If one game cant save a system, it cant sink it either.

It wasnt a gateway either, Square-Enix was just wise enough to have picked the winning platform for every one of the previous games. FF13 will be the first game to not be exclusively on the platform with leading marketshare (NES-SNES-PS1-PS2). They didnt make those platforms, not by a longshot.

In the end, it's just:

Little good for 360.
Little bad for PS3.
REALLY GOOD for Square-Enix.

They'll probably make some of their investment back now. Good on them.

I guess I can also add:

Very good for 360 only owners.
Unchanged for PS3 only owners.
Confusing for PS360 owners.

[quote name='KillJoi99']This is example 'A' on FF XIII moving systems to 360. Anyone who says different is just fooling themselves. It will be exactly like GTA IV where it sells more than double on the XBOX than on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Wordwide PS3 version will sell more, hell, being exclusive in Japan is the key for this game. NA you'll still do well, but MS in NA, and Europe isn't going to outsell PS3, in Japan, NA, and Europe...

This announcment definitely shows that Sony is making the right decision by focusing on their 1st party software, because honeslty, you can't rely on 3rd parties to be loyal to your console. That money you save from helping 3rd parties develop, you can use to make your own games; games that'll belong to your own brand. So if losing FFXIII gives PS3 money to develop Socom, then hell I'll take that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='outphase']MGS1 was 1.4 GB, MGS2 was 3GB, MGS2:S was 6GB, MGS3 was 3.5GB, MGS3:S was 5.75GB... MGS4 was a dual layered BluRay disc. What trend?:roll:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='SynGamer']You fail and logic and math :D. FFXII was on the PS2, low res. textures (or close). FFXIII will be on the PS3, with high res. textures, 400+ system memory being used compared to 64 MB that the PS2 had? Yeah, i'm expecting the HD cutscenes + game to = 20+ GB, or about 4 DVDs, perhaps 5.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy XIII is not MGS4! Square has been focusing on game over movie for the end of last gen and in this gen. FF12 showed that SE is doing less FMV cut scenes and going with real time cut scenes. FF13 will only have a few FMV and more real time cut scenes. MGS4 on the other hand is all FMV and the way they repeat data on BluRay vs. on DVD9 FF13. will be on no more than 3 DVD9 but I'm banking on 1 or 2 DVD9. My logic isn't failed for not including MGS4 in my equation. FF13 will be on a single layer BluRay and on less than 3 DVD9. I have been following Final Fantasy and Square religiously for the last 17 years, I'm not just pulling info out of my ass but using my judgment from past and current Square trends.

[quote name='spoo']Final Fantasy XIII is not MGS4! Square has been focusing on game over movie for the end of last gen and in this gen. FF12 showed that SE is doing less FMV cut scenes and going with real time cut scenes. FF13 will only have a few FMV and more real time cut scenes. MGS4 on the other hand is all FMV and the way they repeat data on BluRay vs. on DVD9 FF13. will be on no more than 3 DVD9 but I'm banking on 1 or 2 DVD9. My logic isn't failed for not including MGS4 in my equation. FF13 will be on a single layer BluRay and on less than 3 DVD9. I have been following Final Fantasy and Square religiously for the last 17 years, I'm not just pulling info out of my ass but using my judgment from past and current Square trends.[/quote]
:rofl:

Oh, and MGS4 only has less then 10 minutes of FMV, if that.
Everything else is in game.

[quote name='outphase']This is great for the 360, but now my PS3 isn't special anymore :([/QUOTE]

You will get the ONLY version of Final Fantasy XIII will Lossless audio if you buy it on the PS3. That's good enough enough for me. Who wants to hear the subpar audio that won't do FFXIII on the 360 justice due to the lack of HDMI passing through PCM and without enough space on a DVD as well.
I also think the lack of achievements will be a bonus too. Frankly I'm bummed PS3 owners are getting screwed out of getting the PS3 version anytime soon because of this.
edit: I mean the English version of course.

[quote name='mykevermin']We've gone from fanboys calling others fanboys to just a clusterfuck of dumbassery.[/quote]
I rarely venture out like this myke.
I didn't know we had these kinds of posters on this site.

[quote name='dallow']:rofl:

Oh, and MGS4 only has less then 10 minutes of FMV, if that.
Everything else is in game.[/QUOTE]

OK I just looked that up you are right, but I'm still right about FF13 not being on more than 3 disks. The same fanboy rants where all over the internets that FF10 and FF12 would be on multidisks. Hell they weren't even on a DVD9.

I'll admit that I don't know shit about MGS4 (I'm waiting for a price drop for a PS3) but that doesn't mean that FF13 will be on 4 dual layer BluRay disks.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho.

You're just a smart-person fanboy, then.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy. I have been since I first played FF1 17 years ago.

[quote name='spoo']Yes I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy. I have been since I first played FF1 17 years ago.[/QUOTE]

My post was in response to dallow.

I'm a huge FF fanboy, admittedly.

That's why it breaks my heart that it's coming out on the 360.

[quote name='willardhaven']FF XI was on 360.

No complaints there?[/QUOTE]

'Cuz it's an MMORPG. And thus no one cares.

[quote name='dallow']I read this post in the voice of that Dreamcast in that old IGN DC vs PS2 fight video back when PS2 launched when it was spouting off games.

Sonic Adventure 2?![/QUOTE]

You don't think his comment was ignorant?

Why does it matter what size the game is? Is it really that hard to change discs? Or has everyone just run out of shit to bitch about these days?

From my understanding it seems as if this will remain a PS3 exclusive in Japan, while it has only been announced for the 360 in North America. Regional exclusivity?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']From my understanding it seems as if this will remain a PS3 exclusive in Japan, while it has only been announced for the 360 in North America. Regional exclusivity?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Makes fiscal sense, I suppose.

SE shouldn't even bother releasing FF on the 360 in Japan. It might only sell in double digits. Not even enough to cover the press release.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']From my understanding it seems as if this will remain a PS3 exclusive in Japan, while it has only been announced for the 360 in North America. Regional exclusivity?[/QUOTE]

NA and Europe for the 360 and PS3, Japan is PS3 only. With that said I wouldn't be suprised if SE brings Final Fantasy XIII International version for both the 360 and PS3 in Japan. SE hasn't started on the 360 version yet and they said they will start it when they start the localization (well they had to do at least some though to see if it will run on the 360 though.)

He's a fake. He's done this before. It's pretty clear he's reading from some sort of cue cards or 'teleprompter'. If I recall correctly, however, he's reading and dramatizing actual forum/blog posts verbatim.

So, yeah, he's that good.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Kinda like 'Dubya' and Republicans.[/quote]

He's not Dubya. He's the principal from Problem child. He lacks a shit eating grin to be Dubya.

[quote name='mykevermin']My post was in response to dallow.

I'm a huge FF fanboy, admittedly.

That's why it breaks my heart that it's coming out on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Myke if the PS3 version keeps the Lossless audio that, de facto, makes the PS3 version superior.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's just not the same if it comes out on the 360, though.

I won't buy it at all.[/QUOTE]

I expected better from you.

[quote name='spoo']NA and Europe for the 360 and PS3, Japan is PS3 only. With that said I wouldn't be suprised if SE brings Final Fantasy XIII International version for both the 360 and PS3 in Japan. SE hasn't started on the 360 version yet and they said they will start it when they start the localization (well they had to do at least some though to see if it will run on the 360 though.)[/quote]

maybe I am wrong, but I thought I had heard/read square enix say that it will come out in japan. They said that all teams are working on the ps3 version now. When that is done they will have some team localize it, as well as port it to the xbox 360. They have some engine/tool that is suppposed to help in the porting of games across all platforms. They also said that the ps3 japanese version will launch, and that the 360 version would come when it is done in Japan. The only place where it is same time release schedule is NA/EU

[quote name='zewone']You don't think his comment was ignorant?[/quote]It was, but I was just saying that it made me think of that video from 8 years ago.
Made me laugh.

You always jump all over me.
:(

[quote name='Sarang01']I expected better from you.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? I demand that Square remain faithful to Sony. It's not like this is going to help them in the end; it's just going to put shame on the faces of the SE execs, and then they'll have to commit seppuku in the streets like the dogs they are.

The game's gonna be like 45 discs anyway. I can't believe it.

Man, the video posted on the last page was hilarious. Love the fact that he took out some milk and swirled it a bit before taking a sip from the wine glass.

I've seen that guy with a video on the Brawl delay. I thought it was funny because it was taken from a series of blog comments and forum posts. Anywho, I'm glad the 360 owners get some FF love, but I feel that us PS3-only users are getting the shaft on exclusives. No bitching here, though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why is that? I demand that Square remain faithful to Sony. It's not like this is going to help them in the end; it's just going to put shame on the faces of the SE execs, and then they'll have to commit seppuku in the streets like the dogs they are.

The game's gonna be like 45 discs anyway. I can't believe it.[/quote]

Are you echoing the sentiment of that Youtube video or has this thread actually lobotomized you?

*sigh*

You people just don't get what the significance of this move is for S-E. It's much more than just money. Well, knowing that, I just won't contribute to them anymore.

It's ok, myke. I already arranged effigies of...um...squares and set them all on fire.

Right now in Japan, there's an oily rag in a waste basket, but they won't discover it until it's too late.

[quote name='roymustang']wow nintendo and sony have nothing to match the scope of this announcement, their conferences were pretty boring by comparison.[/QUOTE]

The Nintendo one was boring outside of the Animal Crossing and GTA news. 80 gig replacing the 40 gig was so-so news for the PS3 but I could care less about console space, and I don't care about Socom. So yeah, this. Now if only Bungie would do their part.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why is that? I demand that Square remain faithful to Sony. It's not like this is going to help them in the end

The game's gonna be like 45 discs anyway. I can't believe it.[/quote]

You do realize that this isn't the first Square game on the 360 right? It isn't even the first Final Fantasy on the 360.

The Final Fantasy series has been on Super Famicon, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, PSP, PC, and even mobile cell phone games in Japan. FFXIII will however, be the first Final Fantasy game on the PS3.

Going multiplatform will help them a great deal. More potential customers will have hardware that can play the game. It hurts Sony because some people were going to buy the PS3 when FFXIII came out, but now can go with the cheaper option.

Who cares how many discs the game is going to be? My favorite Final Fantasy game was on multiple discs. It didn't hurt my gameplaying experience one bit.

It is ridiculous to whine about a system getting a great game because it isn't right to play the game on that system. I'd rather have more people buy the game, so that Square can keep their profits up and produce more quality games.

[quote name='crazytalkx']So apart from MGS4, it's pretty damn pointless to buy a PS3.[/quote]

lol... that makes it easy for me too. Now since Final Fantasy comes out on the xbox360 i look forward to see more rpg's on that system.
Still feels like weird in my stomache, since FF always (at least from FFVII) were Sony titles.. but for my wallet its an easy decession.
But not to forget about Resident Evil 5 oh well, thats also on Xbox360 i think.

bread's done
Back