Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Halo05']Seriously, something that let me pick between FF 1-~6 in every different incarnation would be so epic and impossible. Just think FF3 in either...

a. Original, japanese famicom mode.
b. Pseudo-original english translated NES mode.
c. DS FF3 mode

You get the idea, shit would be awesome for a million reasons and I wouldn't need another RPG until after the world ends in 2012.

EDIT - Xbox gave me a chocobo! 360 version am confimred :whee: (probably not barring a clearance).[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 1 isn't really worth playing unless your on a nostalgia trip really.

I would love for a remake and re balance of 5. That game was fun, but the challenge was wonky since the enemies had to be hard, but if you broke your characters with the job system, they were easy.

FFIX & X are actually my favs. In part because they were the first ones I ever played to completion. I was never big into RPGs even though I had been gaming since the NES days. I didn't start playing RPG's until PS2 launch, mainly because there were no games for it(all I had was Madden). Then Metal Gear Solid came along and changed the way I looked at games forever.

After finishing MGS, I wanted more games with stories in them. So I read good things about FFIX(which was the newest one out at the time) picked it up and never looked back...

[quote name='Jodou']Best way I can describe it is if Pixar made a FF game, IX would be it.[/QUOTE]
No, Pixar could do much better than that turd.

I thought IX was the best of all, with IV being a runner up. It had addictive mini games (chocobo hot and cold was my favorite), an interesting group of characters and an interesting world to explore. For me it was the perfect Final Fantasy. The battles were quick and fun (if you upped the timer speed in the configuration menu) and the soundtrack was above average.

I think X is good and XII is boring, I was hoping for something at least more similar to X with XIII. From what I have read so far I'm worried, but we'll find out soon.

Did you IX haters start playing Final Fantasy in 1997?

The only thing decent about 9 was it's gameplay. The story was forgettable(I actually forgot what it was halfway through the game) and the characters designs were horrible(I do have a soft spot Beatrix.).

I think the style in 3d is a matter of taste, if you check out the artwork though it's awesome. The story is fun and basically just serves the game, but it's not like DQ or FF games are Shakespeare.

I started Final Fantasy in 1990 with the release of the first game on the NES and I still hate IX. In my case, it's the characters. They ranged from entirely forgettable to utter disdain. I ended up playing through to the finish, but I couldn't tell you a bit about the actual story.

Anyone know if they plan on doing an ultimate edition with the two ps3 games and the psp game? would be kinda cool to get it all at once.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Please don't name a party member "Dagger" ever again please :'([/QUOTE]

While it's a stupid name, Lightning and Snow are not much better.

[quote name='willardhaven']While it's a stupid name, Lightning and Snow are not much better.[/QUOTE]
Their choice in names are usually brain scratchers :p

[quote name='LordKefka06']They look up at the sky to figure out names: lightning, snow, cloud... Etc...[/QUOTE]

FFXV: Our Hero, Jetstream, and his band of renegades must save the world from an ominous threat.

Lightning and Snow I'm guessing are their aliases (anyone know their real names?). I was just upset at Dagger being the default name when she was clearly Garnet... /sigh

Maybe I need to give IX another chance when it comes out on PSN. I hated VIII when it first came out, thought the story was insufferable and the junction system was broken beyond hope. Now I'm playing through it again on the PSP, about 15 hours in and I'm having a blast with it. Don't know what's changed in the past decade, maybe I'm just not taking it as seriously this time, or maybe all the mediocre FF ripoffs I've played since then just highlight how polished and slick the real deal is. Anyway I'll have to see if time and distance will soften my hard feelings toward IX too.

[quote name='LordKefka06']They look up at the sky to figure out names: lightning, snow, cloud... Etc...[/QUOTE]

I think the other reason they use unusual names is for dramatic effect. If you name someone susan or bob, what happens? They become forgettable. If you name someone Snow or Lightning, remembering them is easy.

Say we were talking about RPGs on the PC and I ask if you liked Ashley (I think was her name)? You would probably think of another Ashley till you got to the Mass Effect character, assuming you ever did. If I bring up Yuna, Tidus, Wakka, Lulu, all silly names but you know who they are without being game specific.

[quote name='Hiei69']Final Fantasy XII is still my favorite (even though the story was forgettable). I was so glad to see the series take such a great departure from the world of cliche anime bullshit and turned-based garbage. Didn't the person who worked on XII's story leave half-way through or am I imagining things? It looked like the game was going to have a good serious story, but then Penelo and Vaan (worst characters) were just thrown in there. Whatever, I'll just remember the game as actually being challenging and forcing me to think in battle such as using buffing spells.

On the topic of XIII, I'm going to have to wait for more English reviews before buying this. I was going to get this the week it came out, but it doesn't look like that's happening anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Yasumi Matsuno had to stop working on FF XII because of his health. It looked like XII was going to be along the lines of Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, but we can only wonder what could have been had he stayed there. Matsuno recently helped on Madworld's story and he is supposedly working with Hitoshi Sakimoto on a Wii game. Anyone know what Madworld's story was like?

[quote name='Jodou']Wait, so we're not getting this version in the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTCo9VcewB0

FML. . .[/QUOTE]

Not that I've ever really cared for any vocal-based song (or any song with vocals) that has ever been in a Final Fantasy game (or any Square game, really), but I'd rather have that song than the popcrap that we're getting here in the states:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsqH41GJFM

But what do I know. I've thought for ages that video games should put some Behemoth-esque stuff in spurts.

Well I completed FFXIII somtime last week and I really liked this entry! One my favorites for sure!
Battle system is really good, as well!
Still playing the game, whenever I have the time ¬__¬ college started back up. So time is very limited... The missions are quite fun as well, I found.

EDIT: Too bad the trophy cards, do not show JP trophy games...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LordKefka06']@shadow - How's the story progresion & side-quests?

Hopefully it's similar to FFX.[/QUOTE]

It does actually. Like FFX how the story is told. Also the side quests, you have Chocobo digging but its not that important apart from a trophy and You got missions and they can get quite hard!

I typed up a review it ain't professional or anything. It has no spoilers in terms of story.
Check that out.

@ Shadow - Thanks for the reply. That's what I wanted to hear. Was there any hints at the "Ultimate" weapons, like in X?

Also, ummm.... Did you even link your review? I'm on my iPhone, in the sun, so it's really hard to see the linked word.

Another thing, was there anything similar to the airship in X. Like where you could go to secret locations: Omega Ruins... Etc....

@ Shadow - Thanks for the reply. That's what I wanted to hear. Was there any hints at the "Ultimate" weapons, like in X?

Also, ummm.... Did you even link your review? I'm on my iPhone, in the sun, so it's really hard to see the linked word.

Another thing, was there anything similar to the airship in X. Like where you could go to secret locations: Omega Ruins... Etc....

This is probably the first FF I'll probly be 100%, so I'm mainly wondering what all the side-quests are. Thanks again.

EDIT: Really sorry about that guys. Totally forgot about spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LordKefka06']

This is probably the first FF I'll probly be 100%, so I'm mainly wondering what all the side-quests are. Thanks again.

EDIT: Really sorry about that guys. Totally forgot about spoilers.[/QUOTE]

@Lord
Ahh :/ there is no airships sadly! I was really looking forward to seeing it! But there was none! Also there is no Ultimate Weapons to fight!

And there is no real secret location, that I have noticed so far. If there was... wow I did not notice then.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=12152

There is the link to my review

Honestly, the more I read about FFXIII, the more I don't care. So long as it's fun to play and good to look at, does it matter?

Well, if you live near San Fran or the Bay, then you may get a chance to play the game.

Saw this today. The highlight:

a bus tour offering fans the first chance to get their hands on the North American version of FINAL FANTASY® XIII will be kicking off on January 13, 2010....The bus is scheduled to make numerous stops in the San Francisco and Bay areas through January 16, loaded with a never-before-seen demo area of the North American version of FINAL FANTASY XIII.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Interesting review from RPGFan:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_Fantasy_XIII/index.html

Basically raves about every aspect of the game except for the lack of exploration and non-story content, but ultimately is disappointed.
[/QUOTE]

Damn, that review basically has confirmed what I feared. I was still hoping all the other reviews were wrong in some respects but I guess not. Oh well, this is definitely a pass for me now. Feb/March/April is a already a crowded period with so many other games coming out.

Most games are linear i would say... As long as the direction is clear and story is intriguing, i don't have problems with such games. No back tracking can be a problem for some, the over achievers, who like to get everything in the game. Well, i'll be pissed too if i miss a trophy here and there because i can't back track.

Most JRPGs are linear as far as advancing the story, but you're usually free to return to previous dungeons to explore them further, roam around optional areas of the world, and just generally ignore the main story progression and kill time doing what you want. I can't think of another JRPG that doesn't allow you to do anything except move forward through the current dungeon. That's the structure of an action game or an FPS.

I'm not saying it's good or bad until I've played it, but I feel like it'd be tough to argue that it's not a huge change from established JRPG conventions.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Most JRPGs are linear as far as advancing the story, but you're usually free to return to previous dungeons to explore them further, roam around optional areas of the world, and just generally ignore the main story progression and kill time doing what you want. I can't think of another JRPG that doesn't allow you to do anything except move forward through the current dungeon. That's the structure of an action game or an FPS.

I'm not saying it's good or bad until I've played it, but I feel like it'd be tough to argue that it's not a huge change from established JRPG conventions.[/QUOTE]

Without change, we'd still be playing on the original Atari ;)

[quote name='Thongsy']Damn, that review basically has confirmed what I feared. I was still hoping all the other reviews were wrong in some respects but I guess not. Oh well, this is definitely a pass for me now. Feb/March/April is a already a crowded period with so many other games coming out.[/QUOTE]

I am taking what he says with a grain of salt. He praises Infinite Space which I thought was atrocious. Also I have a sneaking suspicion there will be DLC for it I only says this because of Last Remenant.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Most JRPGs are linear as far as advancing the story, but you're usually free to return to previous dungeons to explore them further, roam around optional areas of the world, and just generally ignore the main story progression and kill time doing what you want. I can't think of another JRPG that doesn't allow you to do anything except move forward through the current dungeon. That's the structure of an action game or an FPS.

I'm not saying it's good or bad until I've played it, but I feel like it'd be tough to argue that it's not a huge change from established JRPG conventions.[/QUOTE]

It is sort of annoying, not being to return to earlier areas especially if you're anal about 100%ing everything. I really wish they'd make another game like VI though, that just flips the world on you. That... was amazing.

Hated the trailer. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too emo and none of the voices really fit the characters save for the brit chick. I don't know why, but whenever I look at the main character all I can think of is the voice actor for Major Kusanagi. She would have been perfect IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong, but all signs are pointing to epic fail for this game.

The no minigames/sidequests thing is scaring me off from XIII. Battling can get really boring if done for too long and it's nice to have distractions. Right now I think this went from "buy when it comes out" to "buy when it's cheap"... good thing about that is I'll have more money to spend on other games I guess.

bread's done
Back