GameStop:
PS3
PC
PC Collector's Edition

(Source: www.ffxivcore.com)

Windows:
Final Fantasy XIV Collectors’ Edition
Release Date: September 22nd, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Onion Helm (Quickens recovery following KO.)
This special edition also includes:
-EARLY ACCESS - Play eight days prior to the release of the Standard Edition
-BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD - Get an insider look at the making of FINAL FANTASY XIV.
-SECURITY TOKEN - A FINAL FANTASY XIV branded Security Token used with your regular password.
-TRAVEl JOURNAL - Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal with never-before-seen concept art.
-RIGHT OF PASSAGE - Redeem a voucher to receive your fully personalized right of passage certificate.
-BUDDY PASS - Invite a friend to play free for a limited time.

Final Fantasy XIV (regular edition)
Release Date: September 30th, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Garlond Goggles (Increases the speed of skill progression.)

Monthly Fee: $12.99 / 30 days
(first character free for 30 days upon activation)

FFXIII Secret Code Item (the promo code from FF13)
Asura Armguards: Increased Weapon and Tool affinity.

*PS3 version is scheduled for release sometime during the beginning of March, 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
the SECURITY TOKEN is worth 10 bucks....and I'd think you'd want one

FFXI gave you a ton of extra inventory slots if you had one

Man...I want to try it, but at the sametime XI explained to me never seemed fun and I've always played smaller MMO's with less time sucks than something like this. I'm sure my pc could play it, but not to what I'd like meaning an upgrade + the game + monthly. Maybe trying the ps3 version down the road and letting that sway me would be a better idea.

[quote name='Izod517']CoP was such a pain in the ass, but pretty rewarding and solid. I was one of the few people who did it before they nerfed half of it - and it was rewarding, but not fun. The people I played with made the game fun, the game itself wasn't that enjoyable save for a few experiences like my first time in Sea, completing CoP, leading the first group of NAs into Icelands Dynamis, etc.[/QUOTE]

I started FFXI in 2007 so CoP was easier and cheap to do, so it was really fun for me. I actually did the Promyvions right when I got to lv30 only like 1-2 weeks after I started playing and that was what hooked me on the game. I recently quit FFXI because I didn't approve of SE raising the level cap amongst other reasons and what makes me sad is that I won't get to finish Wings of the Goddess which was my favorite storyline, and I beat all the others, including the Apocalypse Nigh quest that ties Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia together. Can't wait for FFXIV.

Wah, just preordered. I won't be able to participate in the beta next month, if I get an invite/it's open beta, since I'm interning in NYC with only a Dell 10v mini hackintosh. :/ Are there any internet cafes in NYC that may have FFXIV installed? Like, did anyone play FFXI at one during the beta? The ones I found on Yelp are all closed...

Information is surprisingly scant, but Square really kept a tight lid on the alpha players. That said, there is no exp loss from dying, however you are in a weakened phase, like in XI, for five minutes. The Helm will presumably lower that time frame.

XI was not a game for everyone, but for those that it was for, it was an amazing experience. While I quit after 4 years for certain reasons, I look back extremely fondly on my time in Vana'Diel. I've played WoW since, and while it too is an amazingly fun game, it has never even remotely come close to.. being as emotionally attaching as XI and it's community is.

For those that disliked a lot about XI, well, I can't blame you. But over the past three to four years, Square really, really did a lot to make the game better. End game is ridiculously different from just the kings camping and sky farming that the endgame shells did. They added so much more content, many of which are available to even casual endgame shells, and don't involve camping at all. If you're really interested, PM and I'll tell you more, but it's a lot to list here. Again, they really added so much, that there was more to do than there was time, but in a good way. Lots of non-grind options.

And as said above, no matter how careful you are, the security token is an awesome addition. I would pay $15 alone for that, so $25 for everything is a great value.

Man, don't know if I should get on this train or not. Been getting back into MMORPGs (have tried AION, Champions, WAR, and LotRO [still playing/paying for this one]) after quitting WoW in 2007. I haven't fully made a decision to start with everyone else in FFXIV, or to go back to WoW with Cataclysm yet.

Hopefully the XIV beta will start soon so more information comes out about the game.

I will wait for the PS3 launch in March while continuing to play WoW. That will give me plenty of time to see how the PC folk like the game and make a decision 5 months later :whistle2:\... Hopefully I won't break down. I had wanted to purchase this for the PC but then that would not allow me to play on the PS3 without a client disc.. way easier to obtain a PC client then a physical disc to pop in the PS3.

PPS: I am also disappointed no CE for PS3 :whistle2:(.

[quote name='Jodou']So, is this going to be just another asian grind game or what? Any idea what the PvP will be like?[/QUOTE]
I really really hate that term. The Japanese aren't the ones who do the grindfests, those are made by Korea. Like FF11, PvP is not a focus. There will be PvP but FF14 will remain PvE based unlike WoW which catered to the horrible PvP crowd.

Yeah, you're thinking of Aion, Lineage, Maplestory, etc, which are all korean based. I for one dislike pvp in general and love a gorgeous pve experience. Hopefully FFXIV will meet that! :O

[quote name='Unaki']I really really hate that term. The Japanese aren't the ones who do the grindfests, those are made by Korea. Like FF11, PvP is not a focus. There will be PvP but FF14 will remain PvE based unlike WoW which catered to the horrible PvP crowd.[/QUOTE]
Lol, k. What little I did play of FFXI was not fun and all grind, so I think it qualified. Pity they're still ignoring the PvP crowd; oh well, the wait for SWTOR continues. . .

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, k. What little I did play of FFXI was not fun and all grind, so I think it qualified. Pity they're still ignoring the PvP crowd; oh well, the wait for SWTOR continues. . .[/QUOTE]
I never understood what the big deal about PvP in an MMO is. They are all the same. Run up, spam your skills, hope you can heal quick, repeat.

Up until level 30, there wasn't much more you could do other than get to level 30 and then you started CoP. I hope Valkurm Dunes or Kazham don't make a triumphant return. Im so tired of them after taking all 16 jobs through :

[quote name='Unaki']I never understood what the big deal about PvE in an MMO is. They are all the same. Run up, spam your skills, hope you can heal quick, repeat.[/QUOTE]
FixT.

If I wanted pure PvE, I'd play a SP game. PvP is the only thing I care about at endgame.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, k. What little I did play of FFXI was not fun and all grind, so I think it qualified. Pity they're still ignoring the PvP crowd; oh well, the wait for SWTOR continues. . .[/QUOTE]

FFXI is from a pre-WoW era. Most mmos (the few that existed) were in this format if I am correct.

I've waited sooooo long for this game, definately a day one purchase. The Collector's Edition is pretty disappointing for $25 though, aside from the security token and early access. :S

i used to play before wow launched and i think i will be starting up FF again on release. i haven't played wow in a few months now was waiting for cataclysm.

[quote name='Unaki']I never understood what the big deal about PvP in an MMO is. They are all the same. Run up, spam your skills, hope you can heal quick, repeat.

Up until level 30, there wasn't much more you could do other than get to level 30 and then you started CoP. I hope Valkurm Dunes or Kazham don't make a triumphant return. Im so tired of them after taking all 16 jobs through :

[quote name='Jodou']FixT.

If I wanted pure PvE, I'd play a SP game. PvP is the only thing I care about at endgame.[/QUOTE]
That was rather rude. MMOs that were around before WoW was even a thought barely had any PvP aspects and did amazingly well. The only reason PvP in warcraft is so popular is because they were able to bring in the young "Halo crowd" that grew up on killing each other for fun. PvE in an MMO is about being able to experience a game with deep stories, a rich and beautiful world and interesting creatures with other people. Name one game that gives you a deep story, a humongous world to explore and the ability to take down creatures twenty times your size with a group whose AI isn't going to get you killed.

I'm going to preorder mine from gamestop so I can pick it up locally. In new mmo's, every second counts for getting the name you want! ;)

[quote name='Unaki']That was rather rude. MMOs that were around before WoW was even a thought barely had any PvP aspects and did amazingly well. The only reason PvP in warcraft is so popular is because they were able to bring in the young "Halo crowd" that grew up on killing each other for fun. PvE in an MMO is about being able to experience a game with deep stories, a rich and beautiful world and interesting creatures with other people. Name one game that gives you a deep story, a humongous world to explore and the ability to take down creatures twenty times your size with a group whose AI isn't going to get you killed.[/QUOTE]

Guild Wars.

But yeah, ignoring its shallow story, WoW can be classified under your guidelines. While I do believe WoW's lore is good, it used to be much more intricate.

Also, PvP isn't about spamming skills, it's about using the correct skills at the most opportunistic times, not within the first 5 seconds of the fight. If you'd ever played any heated PvP fights, you'd realize that the enjoyable ones last a couple minutes. (sounds something like what a sex therapist would say)

I am also a bit worry about the payment method for ffxiv. In ffxi, they start requiring 3d secure for master card and my debit card doesn't have that. It also look like ffxiv won't be getting prepaid card either, so I hope they better offer alternative payment method like paypal. Btw, I was from Gilgamesh and my char was Flamealchemist. Come on, even Aion offer more payment option.

[quote name='SativaSam']Well, good news is, is now the release dates are the same for PS3 and PC.[/QUOTE]

Trying and can't find any official word on Amazon's change to December 31st release for both platforms... possibly amazon error?

I just ran the benchmark and my score was 2571. I bought a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 a few months ago for 200 something bucks and it kills me inside to see that my score is "standard performance"

Here I was thinking this card was pretty high-end, only to be outdated in a week. I'll definitely stick with console gaming, thanks.

[quote name='SativaSam']I just ran the benchmark and my score was 2571. I bought a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 a few months ago for 200 something bucks and it kills me inside to see that my score is "standard performance"

Here I was thinking this card was pretty high-end, only to be outdated in a week. I'll definitely stick with console gaming, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of odd, I'm running at 9800GT and I get stand performance as well at 2800. Depending on what resolution you're playing at, I'd take the benchmark with a grain of salt. My laptop that I normally game on because of my low PC specs doesn't even make it on the chart. :/

Really excited, but PS3 is starting to sound like the better option if neither of my PC's can handle it very well.

[quote name='helmet']Thats kind of odd, I'm running at 9800GT and I get stand performance as well at 2800. Depending on what resolution you're playing at, I'd take the benchmark with a grain of salt. My laptop that I normally game on because of my low PC specs doesn't even make it on the chart. :/

Really excited, but PS3 is starting to sound like the better option if neither of my PC's can handle it very well.[/QUOTE]
I used the lower resolution just because 1920x1080 takes up so much of my screen. I have a 1440x900 monitor so yeah.

I don't see why you got a bigger score though? Only thing I was running in the background was Raptr.

[quote name='SativaSam']I used the lower resolution just because 1920x1080 takes up so much of my screen. I have a 1440x900 monitor so yeah.

I don't see why you got a bigger score though? Only thing I was running in the background was Raptr.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand either. Running the benchmark at low resolution, with Windows 7 64-bit, a 9800GT, 3.0GHz dual core, and I think only 2GB of ram. My girlfriend, who just made an awesome quad core pc, only gets around 3500 on the benchmark. Either it doesn't know how to manage resources, or its way more intense than anyone of us can begin to understand. :p

[quote name='helmet']I don't understand either. Running the benchmark at low resolution, with a 9800GT, 3.1 dual core, and I think only 2GB of ram. My girlfriend, who just made an awesome quad core pc, only gets around 3500 on the benchmark. Either it doesn't know how to manage resources, or its way more intense than anyone of us can begin to understand. :p[/QUOTE]
Yeah my friend says that since it's in windowed mode, the GFX card can't run at full power, and they turned Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering alllllll the way up. But still, I know games look better on PC and all, and are arguably more control-friendly but I just don't like upgrading all the time. You spend tons more on the hardware than you do the software.

I must be the only one excited about the PC finally getting some exclusive CE love. I'll definitely get this! I think it's kind of interesting how this is PS3/PC exclusive, we really don't see this too often.

[quote name='thehoweller']Guild Wars.
[/QUOTE]
The henchie AI used to blow so hard in GW. Even the initial hero AI was lacking...

[quote name='rpatrick']ePeen gained through pwning at something that typically requires little actual skill or thought.[/QUOTE]You sound like someone I've killed before.
[quote name='Unaki']That was rather rude. MMOs that were around before WoW was even a thought barely had any PvP aspects and did amazingly well. The only reason PvP in warcraft is so popular is because they were able to bring in the young "Halo crowd" that grew up on killing each other for fun. PvE in an MMO is about being able to experience a game with deep stories, a rich and beautiful world and interesting creatures with other people. Name one game that gives you a deep story, a humongous world to explore and the ability to take down creatures twenty times your size with a group whose AI isn't going to get you killed.[/QUOTE]PvE is about learning strats and repetition. The AI has no chance to outsmart you, which is why I have zero interest. The only stories I care about are the ones involving killing you.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']I must be the only one excited about the PC finally getting some exclusive CE love. I'll definitely get this! I think it's kind of interesting how this is PS3/PC exclusive, we really don't see this too often.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be very hard to get an mmo out with microsoft. Most likely they are charging a ridiculous license fee that no one wants to pay.

[quote name='Jodou']You sound like someone I've killed before.
PvE is about learning strats and repetition. The AI has no chance to outsmart you, which is why I have zero interest. The only stories I care about are the ones involving killing you.[/QUOTE]
Why do you insist on paying just to beat up people in a game when there are other games you can play that give the exact same result that don't require a monthly fee? Seems like you have not even heard of endgame in FF11. Go ahead and learn Absolute Virtue's patterns and while you are at it, figure out how to beat Pandemonium Warden. Oh, go ahead and figure out where the armies go in Besieged. Why are you even in this thread?

[quote name='Commy']And for anyone unsure about their PC/laptop, you can download the official benchmark application here:

http://dl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/media/FFXIVBenchmark.zip

Further information and what your score means can be found here:

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/index.html[/QUOTE]

If the benchmark screen stays black the entire time until the end, is that really bad? I got a 617 with a 6400 core2 duo, 2gigs of ram and a 7900gs. I expected atleast something playable.

[quote name='Vortextk']If the benchmark screen stays black the entire time until the end, is that really bad? I got a 617 with a 6400 core2 duo, 2gigs of ram and a 7900gs. I expected atleast something playable.[/QUOTE]

yea buddy if the bench mark doesn't load at all that cannot be a good thing. 7900gs is pretty dated considering that when it was released it was considered a mid range card at the time. I have not downloaded the benchmark test so do not know how it operates but it seems people with beefier systems are complaining about the outcome. Test might be projecting higher necessary specs then required.

[quote name='Unaki']Why do you insist on paying just to beat up people in a game when there are other games you can play that give the exact same result that don't require a monthly fee?[/QUOTE]
I pay to play in those games because of the epic drama we and other guilds cause. You don't get that from F2P games because they will just run away or leave the server.

[quote name='Seventh']yea buddy if the bench mark doesn't load at all that cannot be a good thing. 7900gs is pretty dated considering that when it was released it was considered a mid range card at the time. I have not downloaded the benchmark test so do not know how it operates but it seems people with beefier systems are complaining about the outcome. Test might be projecting higher necessary specs then required.[/QUOTE]

I was planning at the very least to upgrade my card, the 9800 on sale posted here seemed like a possible good deal but shit...a 617?! It just seems like an error, crazy it wouldn't even load, but I guess I'm screwed with my computer as is. I guess 720p even is a really high res when I play most older games at something lower anyway.

[quote name='Vortextk']I was planning at the very least to upgrade my card, the 9800 on sale posted here seemed like a possible good deal but shit...a 617?! It just seems like an error, crazy it wouldn't even load, but I guess I'm screwed with my computer as is. I guess 720p even is a really high res when I play most older games at something lower anyway.[/QUOTE]

That would definitely take a toll on your system. How large is the monitor you are using? The larger it is the better of a card you will need to run current gen games efficiently.

[quote name='Vortextk']I was planning at the very least to upgrade my card, the 9800 on sale posted here seemed like a possible good deal but shit...a 617?! It just seems like an error, crazy it wouldn't even load, but I guess I'm screwed with my computer as is. I guess 720p even is a really high res when I play most older games at something lower anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats a little low, it could very well be an error.. My laptop graphics card didn't even make the list, and its pretty recent. But my 9800gt did just fine, well if you consider default settings fine. Might be worth the upgrade, might be worth getting the PS3 version.

It would be nice if you could get the PS3 version, register the account, and play freely on the PC version. I can't remember if FFXI had cd keys, but that would be a nice option.

[quote name='Seventh']That would definitely take a toll on your system. How large is the monitor you are using? The larger it is the better of a card you will need to run current gen games efficiently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know how resolutions work, I'm on my tv currently, 1080p. The test will only run at 1080 or 720 though, those are the only options, and I barely run older games at a resolution that large so that's not helping. I would want to run this game decently though so playing at freaking 800x600 or something isn't really an option anyway.

Oh and I was interested in the ps3 version, because I knew it would run crappy(but not SO crappy!) on my comp however march of next year? I guess one good thing is I could get this game used from gamestop or something(right? not a unique key?) and try it out/return, rather than having to buy it for pc and then the fee and be out both rather than just a month's fee for the console version.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Denzalo']If the control scheme for PC is still anything like FFXI, I'll pass.

Worst.
Controls.
Ever.[/QUOTE]
Gamepad or bust with FF MMOs on the PC for me.

Just ran the benchmark. Leviathan is pretty. Glad it is actually a large size instead of a gimped version like in 11.

Did at High settings

ff14benchmark.png

bread's done
Back