Finders Records: Amazing 39.99 dollar pre-orders!

Pinnacle

CAGiversary!
I just pre-ordered Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol for 39.99 each. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is for 45 bucks.

Just type the name of the game you want to search for in the search box called "title".

This little music site is apparently getting into videogames. I found them during a google search for the best price on Dragon age.

[quote name='snives']I'm not seeing why this is such an amazing deal myself... Amazon - ECA - GB = ~$50 pre-orders while this after shipping comes to ~44, assuming no tax. I would personally much rather pay $6 and have a faster delivery and a reputable seller. I guess I'm just not as much of a hardcore CAG as some of you :p[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying. But for those who want to preorder more than one game (the op) it adds up...about $20 saved on three games compared to amazon.

This seems "too good to be true". Everything seems legitimate though. I think I'll play it safe like everyone else and see what happens to the people who ordered. Hopefully we have confirmation on this site. Alpha Protocol for 39.99$, color me intrigued.

Oh, also I have a question. Anyone know the difference in the shipping methods? I looked and saw USPS for 3.49$, and XPO World Mail for 7.09$. I'm assuming that USPS is going to take 5-7 days or something similar, but what about XPO? Is that faster shipping? I'm assuming it would be because of the price, but anyone know for sure?

[quote name='TJH518']This seems "too good to be true". Everything seems legitimate though. I think I'll play it safe like everyone else and see what happens to the people who ordered. Hopefully we have confirmation on this site. Alpha Protocol for 39.99$, color me intrigued.

Oh, also I have a question. Anyone know the difference in the shipping methods? I looked and saw USPS for 3.49$, and XPO World Mail for 7.09$. I'm assuming that USPS is going to take 5-7 days or something similar, but what about XPO? Is that faster shipping? I'm assuming it would be because of the price, but anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]

All domestic orders are shipped USPS. XPO is for international shipping.

[quote name='steveinneed']All domestic orders are shipped USPS. XPO is for international shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification.

Could be hot. Waiting until someone here actually gets a transaction completed before I jump on board.

[quote name='ckranger11']All these young CAGs assuming that "there's no way this is real" need a history lesson, stat.

This has happened before where a legitimate brick & mortar entity tries to drum up some interest for their new online gaming business by offering cheap pre-order offers. Look up LionGames.com and their initial set of deals. $42 Mass Effect, BioShock, and GTA4, anyone?

Now hopefully this ends better than LionGames.com.[/QUOTE]
god i miss liongames

i've had huge flashbacks of them thanks to this thread but being strapped for cash i'd rather sit back and see what happens than be an early adopter of this site

not saying this is a scam, because i dont think it is, but it does seem odd they don't have any actual section for video games. if they were trying to penetrate the video game market you'd think they'd make it more accessible to browse their offerings.

[quote name='hpv']Anyone get their order yet? That Dragon Age CE for $60 looks mighty tasty.[/QUOTE]

I think it will probably be about a week before anyone gets their order. Preorders, obviously longer.

[quote name='affa']Everyone here probably does NOT know that, because it's not true. The MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) is just that - the price the manufacturer/publisher suggests they price a game at.

Once a store has the product, in only very rare cases can the manufacturer control the price (usually high end boutique items where they have the pull to enforce it). Any retailer can sell any game for any price they want. They don't have to get a sale 'authorized' by every publisher - that's just absurd.

Simple proof of this is the current Best Buy deal. If i buy one game, i get a second at half price. Since that second game can be any game it means I can get any game I want for $30, and no publisher has a say about it. Which is as it is, and as it should be, since it's up to the retailer to set retail price, not the publisher.

Also, I seriously doubt they are bootlegs. In fact, I'm sure they aren't based on the history of the store. As previously mentioned, I preordered 3 games. I saw the DVD-a line and immediately thought the same thing someone else here has already stated - they didn't have a option (or clue) as to what to call PS3 games in their system yet. Not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Rant often?

Anyway, even though the price is technically "suggested" it is pretty much an unspoken law that what the publisher "suggests" to be the price will be the price. The publisher has power over many who buy their games and then, in turn, sell them.

Also, if I remember right the publishers get paid after the games sell, and the publisher just takes a chunk of the profit. Games are rather low-revenue as it is.

[quote name='steveinneed']I think it will probably be about a week before anyone gets their order. Preorders, obviously longer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, lol. I didn't even look at the time stamps and must have assumed the OP was older than two days.

It's kind of funny how smooth their search front end is while the back end is kind of wonky. They have 1 or 2 duplicate entries for a lot of these games.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Rant often?

Anyway, even though the price is technically "suggested" it is pretty much an unspoken law that what the publisher "suggests" to be the price will be the price. The publisher has power over many who buy their games and then, in turn, sell them.

Also, if I remember right the publishers get paid after the games sell, and the publisher just takes a chunk of the profit. Games are rather low-revenue as it is.[/QUOTE]
You would think they get paid after the games sell but I don't think that's how it is exactly. 402 from Infinity Ward was explaining how they had to extensively market it to the sellers like Gamecrazy and EBGames because they were the ones buying.

FYI - I was having trouble with with check-out, it was saying my address was wrong but still went through to 'Pending' on my CC Company, Called to speak to someone, After speaking to Manager he asked what my order gave the number and said "ummm I'm sorry to say but there was a big technical issue with our database upload, and we DO NOT SELL games. We at one time did but only IN-Store and no longer sell them" he said somehow a error in the upload data ativated (said most of those prices are 'costs' to him that are showing, he apologized for the error and they're working on it but due to the holiday and small staff .. sorry for the bad news..

[quote name='Romis']FYI - I was having trouble with with check-out, it was saying my address was wrong but still went through to 'Pending' on my CC Company, Called to speak to someone, After speaking to Manager he asked what my order gave the number and said "ummm I'm sorry to say but there was a big technical issue with our database upload, and we DO NOT SELL games. We at one time did but only IN-Store and no longer sell them" he said somehow a error in the upload data ativated (said most of those prices are 'costs' to him that are showing, he apologized for the error and they're working on it but due to the holiday and small staff .. sorry for the bad news..[/QUOTE]

Finders Records said this? I wonder what it is that they sent me then...

[quote name='RoodyPooUS']Just ordered the following:

GT5, White Knight Chronicles, FF13, Demon's Souls Collectors for ~195.[/QUOTE]

Dude, it was a database error. Good luck getting your money back...

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Dude, it was a database error. Good luck getting your money back...[/QUOTE]
yeah because it was all a ploy to steal money from gamers./sarcasm

[quote name='steveinneed']Hmm, probably should have called their B&M store first.[/QUOTE]

How is it that none of us thought to try this two days ago?

[quote name='Romis'] most of those prices are 'costs' to him that are showing...[/QUOTE]

Interesting little tidbit there if true, there's always a lot of speculation as to how much retailers pay for games on these boards, people usually speculate 45-48, but if this small joint is getting most for 40 I'd imagine the big boys are getting them for less.

[quote name='goMaki']Finders Records said this? I wonder what it is that they sent me then...[/QUOTE]

probably exactly what you ordered

the guy I spoke to said he was the manager, that the prices showing seemed like 25% off prices elsewhere , he commented no wnder so many orders came into there system,
He also commented that prices like that would be close to 'cost' of stores to purchase
their website is set up where they download orders periodically and they had approx 500 orders that were all going to be errors, may take some time to follow up but since they do all credit card orders via hand, no credit cards wii be charged, (not sure exactly how google checkout works) since My main concern was my credit card geting charged for each time my charge card got a "address error"
he clearly stated though they don't have any games to sell at this time but should they ever decide to do it they'll announce it (and add it to the search able media's hence why no GAME listing) he did seem very dumbfounded at how this happened and on the level at saying it's a big nightmare for them to have to deal with.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Rant often?

Also, if I remember right the publishers get paid after the games sell, and the publisher just takes a chunk of the profit. Games are rather low-revenue as it is.[/QUOTE]

wasn't ranting, was explaining. the person i was replying to stated we 'all knew' something, but what he stated is false.

just like what you're saying is false. publishers do not get paid after the game sells.

Yeah, thats the first time I've heard of "publishers get paid after the game sells" It makes no friggin' sense from a business standpoint. Publishers produce the material, sell them to distributors and distributors turn around and sell it to retailers, who then sell it to customers.

it's the friggin markups that each level tacks on that is making stuff cost so much. It's like Monster Cable making a cable that cost a dollar or two to make it, then sell it to distributor and then to a retailer like Best Buy who does ridiculous markups on it.

Hmmm, database error, that's an interesting development. Still I think the guy who ordered Mini Ninjas said his was shipped with a tracking number. What gives? I ordered that and Punch-out.

[quote name='dakrzone']Hmmm, database error, that's an interesting development. Still I think the guy who ordered Mini Ninjas said his was shipped with a tracking number. What gives? I ordered that and Punch-out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm wondering too since I ordered R&C:CiT. I guess we just have to see if those other guys receive their game, and see what happens in the future.

Yeah, well maybe they'll be encouraged to get back into selling games at a lower profit margin. Doesn't have to be $20 bucks off retail, but I'd say we've shown them the market is out there. :)

[quote name='dakrzone']Yeah, well maybe they'll be encouraged to get back into selling games at a lower profit margin. Doesn't have to be $20 bucks off retail, but I'd say we've shown them the market is out there. :)[/QUOTE]

True, and if they don't want people to keep ordering they need to fix the database error since all the games are still showing up if you search ps3.

I would encourage all cags to take 5 minutes and read through this entire thread and note the rising hysteria, speculation (it's a scam! I'll sue! They have to be bootlegs! They're going to steal your money! Bait and switch! etc.) and threats, all of it based on precisely zero information, and try to pick out the few posts that actually contain useful information about the potential deal. Those cag'ers who actually had personal information about Finders and had actually been in the store were largely ignored. This trend is prevalent in many threads on the board and is not helpful.

I would suggest that this herd mentality should be curbed - avoid the urge to panic. In this case, it was a simple database / pricing error. I was a latecomer to the thread (it started all of three days ago) or I simply would've walked into Finders Records yesterday and chatted with an actual person about it. Problem solved. Or, as the case was, a simple google search (first hit) revealed their phone number and the fact that they've been in business since 1971. (As a side note - think about it for a moment - a record store still in business - that alone should tell you something.) All of these facts should have helped prevent cag'ers from embarrassing themselves like teenage girls locked out of a Jonas Bros concert.

Of course, proper skepticism of any deal that looks too good to be true is warranted. Baseless (and factless) hysteria is not.

Here's more food for thought. One of the posters above said that he called and talked to a manager who told him that it is a huge error in their system. That was at least 12 hrs ago. why the hell would this comapny still have their website up if this is the case? I have been running an online retail business for a little over a year and I cant imagine an error that makes my wholesale prices available for public view for products that I dont even sell.

I was one of the first that said I thought it was a pricing error. That being said, the games are still coming up at that price. Not only that, it clearly states on their website that products availiable online may not be in stores. Finders stores don't sell games but the website does. It's run as 2 different things. The fact that a manager at a store has no idea about the games doesn't suprise me. Also, I have no reason to believe the CAGs that said they ARE RECEIVING games are lying. But like everything else, no one will believe it until they see a pic with a receipt. And even then we'll all be sceptical...hahaha.

[quote name='MrEKO73']I was one of the first that said I thought it was a pricing error. That being said, the games are still coming up at that price. Not only that, it clearly states on their website that products availiable online may not be in stores. Finders stores don't sell games but the website does. It's run as 2 different things. The fact that a manager at a store has no idea about the games doesn't suprise me. Also, I have no reason to believe the CAGs that said they ARE RECEIVING games are lying. But like everything else, no one will believe it until they see a pic with a receipt. And even then we'll all be sceptical...hahaha.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. But if they do happen to sell current release games, then do they also sell preorders?

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Here's more food for thought. One of the posters above said that he called and talked to a manager who told him that it is a huge error in their system. That was at least 12 hrs ago. why the hell would this comapny still have their website up if this is the case? I have been running an online retail business for a little over a year and I cant imagine an error that makes my wholesale prices available for public view for products that I dont even sell.[/QUOTE]

Well, from the description posted earlier, it sounds like an automated import problem. If I had to guess, they get a list of new items from their distributors and import it on a regular basis. The games were in the latest list, and got imported by accident (either they normally aren't in the list at all, or they were mislisted somehow). I've seen far worse automated mistakes.

So, that's how they (may have) got in there. Now, not every company has a team of programmers on hand to fix problems like this. We just had a holiday weekend, so really, it's quite possible they only found out about this problem yesterday. So, trying to get a hold of their site coder and then having him fix the problem could easily take a day or two. 12 hours is not a long time to have a mistake online if you can't fix it yourself.

All in all, I expect all orders to be canceled this week... though the fact that some people have reported their order shipped throws a huge wrench in the works, since it lends credence to the fact they may carry games now?

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Here's more food for thought. One of the posters above said that he called and talked to a manager who told him that it is a huge error in their system. That was at least 12 hrs ago. why the hell would this comapny still have their website up if this is the case? I have been running an online retail business for a little over a year and I cant imagine an error that makes my wholesale prices available for public view for products that I dont even sell.[/QUOTE]
AOL's search information snafu comes to mind...

Well, if this is all a system error why is the site still up (as the other posted said) and why are the prices the same? You would think that if this was something that wasn't suppose to happen Finders Records would do something about it. More I look at this, the more I think this is just a steal for us...system error or not.

Tracking Number finally updated today. Media Mail from there says it will take another 5 days to get to me, but maybe it'll get here sooner. I'll keep you guys updated.

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item arrived at a shipping partner facility at 10:06 PM on September 7, 2009 in CARSON, CA 90746. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

goMaki, I wouldn't be surprised if your order comes through ok. I can see the order system being tied to their distributor who actually carries more merchandise than Finders may carry in their stores. The order came through, was paid for and it was essentially drop shipped to you. Someone may have even approved it and not caught it until the floodgates opened, which may have killed it for the rest of us.

Good luck man! I hope it works out for you. I might be stopping over to play some Mini Ninjas!

[quote name='goMaki']Tracking Number finally updated today. Media Mail from there says it will take another 5 days to get to me, but maybe it'll get here sooner. I'll keep you guys updated.[/QUOTE]
if its comming from cali, then it is for sure a drop ship.

Well i just ordered 5 preorders at the 39.99 price point. worse case senario, its a mistake and i'll get my money back (Used my paypal debit card)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Hopefully this goes through so when I get some cash I can cash on this deal :lol:[/QUOTE]

Its crazy how many come up at 39.99. "Brutal Legend, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield BC 2, The Saboture"-the list goes on. I'll know its all good if "Need for Speed: Shift" Ships out on the 15th. (fingers crossed) Obviously, I don't expect to get any of these games at these prices but its more likely than winning the Lotto.

Strangely, some titles like Wii titles and DS titles are only about 5 bucks under MSRP. So those seem right. But, come on, DJ HERO RENEGADE Edition for 40+dollars under MSRP- I'll believe it when its on my door step.

True MrEKO. Some of the prices seem to be in line with what they are suppose to be at, but some of them, like the majority of the pre orders, are at weird prices that wouldn't even seem realistic a month after release. Let alone months before the game even releases.

bread's done
Back