Fireball 5 billion times the size of our solar system spotted.

Hey guys, let me know when it's about a day out from plowing through earth so I can work up a vicious drunk on my stash of single malt.

Its almost as big as the XBOX?

But anyway...kinda scary to think that another one of those could be heading for us and we could be gone in an instant and wouldnt even know it.

[quote name='Koggit']I don't really understand why that's still a pertinent question, what in our universe is infinite? We don't know of anything that's infinite, it's an abstact concept necessary only to avoid error by precision. Pi is infinite, but it's still just half a circle... a third is an infinite decimal, but it's still just a third.

The physical world and everything about it is finite, the concept of infinite only exists in our explanation of it. I'm majoring in Physics, and although I've yet to take much Astronomy I don't know of anything in our universe that is truly infinite. All of the immesurable aspects - the edges of space, particles/antiparticles we don't fully understand, black holes' force, it's all finite we just don't know enough about it to explain. Not beyond measure, just beyond comprehension.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you know quite a bit. Too bad you didn't take any courses on keeping a woman happy or knowing when you're being used.

[quote name='evanft']Wait a minute, since it's so far away, aren't we really seeing what was happening millions of years ago?[/quote]that's some crazy shit

Think about this for a second.

If you had a big enough telescope and light to look millions and millions of miles into space and positioned it on a never-seen-before planet, the lense would be completely black until the light traveled to the planet and back again and the planet would all of a sudden pop into view.

You know... God did promise to never destroy the world with water again...

Just remember to love, people. Love. It's the 5th Element yo.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Think about this for a second.

If you had a big enough telescope and light to look millions and millions of miles into space and positioned it on a never-seen-before planet, the lense would be completely black until the light traveled to the planet and back again and the planet would all of a sudden pop into view.[/QUOTE]

I don't quite understand what you're saying

He's saying that we're seeing what happened in the Universe millions, if not billions, of years in the past. So nothing that we are seeing probably even exists anymore, and if it does, it's not in the same place.

Supposedly, the Universe consists of 99.9% Dark Matter, which may or may not just be places we can't see yet. They say it's some viscous fluid that the Universe was made up of already before the entire thing condensed and imploded. Yeah, all speculation.

Infinity would probably be a perfect sphere, wouldn't it? Since every part of a sphere is the same, there would be an infinite amount of points. There'd also be an infinite amount of horizontal/vertical movement because it never ends. The Universe being spherical and infinite sort of makes sense.

The one that gets me is if the whole Universe is just an electron in the cell of some other being.

Infinite is infinite. Spherical and ever expanding isn't the same as infinite. Infinite means its already everywhere and you couldn't hit an end. Theoretically, you can hit the edge of the universe if you could catch up to it. The biggest brain fuck is whats on the other side of the edge of the universe? :hot::bomb:

[quote name='Blade']He's saying that we're seeing what happened in the Universe millions, if not billions, of years in the past. So nothing that we are seeing probably even exists anymore, and if it does, it's not in the same place.

Supposedly, the Universe consists of 99.9% Dark Matter, which may or may not just be places we can't see yet. They say it's some viscous fluid that the Universe was made up of already before the entire thing condensed and imploded. Yeah, all speculation.

Infinity would probably be a perfect sphere, wouldn't it? Since every part of a sphere is the same, there would be an infinite amount of points. There'd also be an infinite amount of horizontal/vertical movement because it never ends. The Universe being spherical and infinite sort of makes sense.

The one that gets me is if the whole Universe is just an electron in the cell of some other being.[/quote]

[quote name='LiquidNight']that's some crazy shit[/quote]

Yeah, it's kind of like the fact that the light from the sun takes something like 5 minutes to hit earth, so what you're actually seeing is the sun about 5 minutes ago. Kind of crazy, it's like lag.

[quote name='Blade']He's saying that we're seeing what happened in the Universe millions, if not billions, of years in the past. So nothing that we are seeing probably even exists anymore, and if it does, it's not in the same place.

The one that gets me is if the whole Universe is just an electron in the cell of some other being.[/QUOTE]

The whole time thing is answered by relativity. It's all relative to the observer. If somebody were to travel at the speed of light from this fire ball to us - billions of light years - at pecisely the speed of light, the traveler would not age. It would be, relative to the traveler, instantaneous. If there were an atomic clock aboard the spaceship, the clock would also indicate that the travel was instantaneous. When he got here - remember, instantly - he would tell us what happened right before he left. However, if we looked in a telescope, we could see that it just happened - except, knowing light's speed we'd know we're observing billions of years in the past, relative to earth. In truth, both are right, it happened just seconds earlier relative to the traveler and billions of years earlier relative to Earth.

A sphere being infinite... I'd have a disagree with again. Measurements and numbers are infinite, but nothing physical is infinite. I mean, sure, there are an infinite number of points on the sphere, but ONLY because our measuring systems get infinitely precise. Decimals being infinite. By the same grounds you could say an 8.5"x11" sheet of notebook paper has an infinite amount of points. Technically, it does, because our measurements of its points become infinitely small. But it's clearly a finite space. I don't really agree with the infinitely spherical movement either, but I think that just lies in the semantics of the terms.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']You know... God did promise to never destroy the world with water again...

Just remember to love, people. Love. It's the 5th Element yo.[/quote] he'll destroy us with a big shittin fireball about the size of my cock. now thats a hell of a way to go out.

[quote name='Koggit']The whole time thing is answered by relativity. It's all relative to the observer. If somebody were to travel at the speed of light from this fire ball to us - billions of light years - at pecisely the speed of light, the traveler would not age. It would be, relative to the traveler, instantaneous. If there were an atomic clock aboard the spaceship, the clock would also indicate that the travel was instantaneous. When he got here - remember, instantly - he would tell us what happened right before he left. However, if we looked in a telescope, we could see that it just happened - except, knowing light's speed we'd know we're observing billions of years in the past, relative to earth. In truth, both are right, it happened just seconds earlier relative to the traveler and billions of years earlier relative to Earth.

A sphere being infinite... I'd have a disagree with again. Measurements and numbers are infinite, but nothing physical is infinite. I mean, sure, there are an infinite number of points on the sphere, but ONLY because our measuring systems get infinitely precise. Decimals being infinite. By the same grounds you could say an 8.5"x11" sheet of notebook paper has an infinite amount of points. Technically, it does, because our measurements of its points become infinitely small. But it's clearly a finite space. I don't really agree with the infinitely spherical movement either, but I think that just lies in the semantics of the terms.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, you try too hard.

[quote name='Koggit']The whole time thing is answered by relativity. It's all relative to the observer. If somebody were to travel at the speed of light from this fire ball to us - billions of light years - at pecisely the speed of light, the traveler would not age. It would be, relative to the traveler, instantaneous. If there were an atomic clock aboard the spaceship, the clock would also indicate that the travel was instantaneous. When he got here - remember, instantly - he would tell us what happened right before he left. However, if we looked in a telescope, we could see that it just happened - except, knowing light's speed we'd know we're observing billions of years in the past, relative to earth. In truth, both are right, it happened just seconds earlier relative to the traveler and billions of years earlier relative to Earth.

A sphere being infinite... I'd have a disagree with again. Measurements and numbers are infinite, but nothing physical is infinite. I mean, sure, there are an infinite number of points on the sphere, but ONLY because our measuring systems get infinitely precise. Decimals being infinite. By the same grounds you could say an 8.5"x11" sheet of notebook paper has an infinite amount of points. Technically, it does, because our measurements of its points become infinitely small. But it's clearly a finite space. I don't really agree with the infinitely spherical movement either, but I think that just lies in the semantics of the terms.[/quote]

Which is what we said lol, but thanks for clearing it up.

Like someone said before, infinity is based on perspective and knowledge. Anything physical could be relatively infinite.

[quote name='Blade']Which is what we said lol, but thanks for clearing it up.

Like someone said before, infinity is based on perspective and knowledge. Anything physical could be relatively infinite.[/quote]

:roll:

He was saying you were wrong.

He's saying that I was wrong when we both said that we're seeing things that happened millions of years ago?

[quote name='Blade']He's saying that I was wrong when we both said that we're seeing things that happened millions of years ago?[/quote]

No, about a finite object being infinite. You can have an infinite points of measure on a quarter, but that doesn't mean a quarter is infinitely big.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Outside of the boundaries of space, the boundaries of nothingness, you have whats called "Space FOR REALZ".[/QUOTE]

lawl!

[quote name='bil4ltool']Yeah, it's kind of like the fact that the light from the sun takes something like 5 minutes to hit earth, so what you're actually seeing is the sun about 5 minutes ago. Kind of crazy, it's like lag.[/quote]

:lol::applause:

somewhere, Einstein turns in his grave and the guys at ID are goin "booyah!"

[quote name='Kayden']No, about a finite object being infinite. You can have an infinite points of measure on a quarter, but that doesn't mean a quarter is infinitely big.[/quote]

Yeah, I got that. It doesn't matter though since I was bullshitting from the get-go. ;)

"this just in, it turns out the scientists were looking through their scope backwards and actually were seeing something really close that merely appeared 5 billion light years away. you have 4 hours to live, enjoy your stay!"

bread's done
Back