Firefox 3 Out Today! Yes! No More Ram Munching!

i just installed it, looks great.
Only one complaint and that is NO PAYPAL PLUGIN!

Great now how am i going to spam my VCCs

Come on Firefox make it compatible NOW!

[quote name='Rig']Well, IE 7 at least worked in its beta phase. Shit is so broken now; I can't even check Hotmail.

And I only keep IE around for Microsoft Updates.

(Though, if you are talking about ripping off tabs...Mozilla wasn't first with those either.)[/QUOTE]

I only keep my explorer around for some pages like Netflix nowadays...

heck, I don't even use explorer for that now since you can get an extension that allows explorer to run in firefox.

I think it's a piece of shit. It seems to use MORE RAM than before, for me. Seriously, this thread is the only page I have open, and it's using 100 megs.

The problem with it seems to be that it never releases RAM. If I have 20 tabs open and it's using 200 megs, yeah, that doesn't surprise me, but if I then close all those tabs except for one, it still ends up using 190, for instance.

And what they've done to the address bar is driving me abso-fucking-lutely insane. I'm hoping that it's possible to completely revert it's behavior to FF2-style.

My only comfort with this damn thing so far is that I've at least found a theme to make it look exactly like FF2, because I utterly hated the FF3 theme.

I'm not too thrilled with this release. Not the frontend, anyways.

I just got around to downloading it and so far I'm very impressed. It does seem a good bit faster than 2.0.

I've been using Firefox since it's first beta and it's amazing how far the browser has come. Long live the king.

this thing screams and doesnt lock up like my old version of firefox.. love the new website entry format where you just type in partial stuff and it finds it from your history... really helps speed things up with tracking packages.

just had my first crash... vista said it was due to a newer version of flash (even though i updated it like saturday)... so i'd say go download that as well to avoid this issue.

[quote name='supraazn']
Only one complaint and that is NO PAYPAL PLUGIN!
[/QUOTE]

Ditto, seems good so far except most of my plugins are not compatible.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Anyone know how to turn off the awesome bar? Can't believe there isn't an option to disable it.[/QUOTE]

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227

That will make it look like it used to, but the damned autocomplete algorithm is still the same as awesomebar.

fuck Awesomebar in the ass, soooo hard. I am seriously fucking stunned that they didn't have the foresight to make it optional. I'm typing "a" and expecting aintitcool.com to be the first thing on the autocomplete, but instead, it makes it some page on gametrailers. God, what has become of this fucking browser.

I've begin using this instead of Opera, this actually loads my pages correctly (and I can actually search Gamestop.com). Seems a lot faster too.

The only things I miss from Opera are the downloads screen (it took up a tab instead of making an obnoxious little window, with the option of making an obnoxious little window available), and the ability to right click > Paste & Go as opposed to just right-click> Paste. The Paste & Go thing is killing me right now, after using that it's so inconvenient in Firefox to paste, then have to move my mouse 6 inches over to the right. I can't believe I just said that.

[quote name='TimPV3']I've begin using this instead of Opera, this actually loads my pages correctly (and I can actually search Gamestop.com). Seems a lot faster too.

The only things I miss from Opera are the downloads screen (it took up a tab instead of making an obnoxious little window, with the option of making an obnoxious little window available), and the ability to right click > Paste & Go as opposed to just right-click> Paste. The Paste & Go thing is killing me right now, after using that it's so inconvenient in Firefox to paste, then have to move my mouse 6 inches over to the right. I can't believe I just said that.[/QUOTE]

One of the best add-ons is the download status bar. Adds a statusbar at the bottom of the window instead of having it open a window for downloads.

I'm still using FF 1.5.0.12. After hearing bad news about FF2, how is 3 behaving?

And where is the close tab button? On the far left, or on each individual tab like IE?

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm still using FF 1.5.0.12. After hearing bad news about FF2, how is 3 behaving?

And where is the close tab button? On the far left, or on each individual tab like IE?[/quote]You still with FF 1.5? Wow, that's pretty hardcore. As for the close tab button, it's all the way on the right for me. I know there is a way to switch between having it on each individual tab and one all the way at the right. Just don't remember how.

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm still using FF 1.5.0.12. After hearing bad news about FF2, how is 3 behaving?

And where is the close tab button? On the far left, or on each individual tab like IE?[/QUOTE]

FF3 has been performing fine for me on my home computer. since I installed it last night. The browser does feel a bit snappier, and I haven't had any major slowdowns or crashes yet. It even appears to handle flash content better than FF2 did. Either way, I'd highly recommend you upgrade if you use Firefox with any sort of regularity.

I've tried like 10 different times to DL it and it seems like the servers are getting hammered because I always time out.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']As for the close tab button, it's all the way on the right for me. I know there is a way to switch between having it on each individual tab and one all the way at the right. Just don't remember how.[/quote]Ah, I didn't know that. I remember hearing somthing about the close tab button being moved from the far right to each tab, and I prefer it on the far right.

[quote name='Drizzt']Either way, I'd highly recommend you upgrade if you use Firefox with any sort of regularity.[/quote]
Nice. I'm going to give it a month and see how things look. It has been eating my resources and I'd like to try the newer version soon.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']You still with FF 1.5? Wow, that's pretty hardcore. As for the close tab button, it's all the way on the right for me. I know there is a way to switch between having it on each individual tab and one all the way at the right. Just don't remember how.[/QUOTE]

Put "about:config" in the url bar, find "browser.tabs.closeButtons," and change it's value to 0, 1, or 2.

Does CSLite work with 3?

I have it working on my work comp.

But when I installed 3 on my home comp, it said CSLite wasn't compatible

I like it, for the most part. But I really hate the ctrl + mousewheel zooming the page instead of just resizing the text.

Almost 7 millions downloads right now... at least I think (the last time I posted a high number the counter dropped it to half of it a few minutes later).

North Korea has zero downloads... no shit?

[quote name='mogamer']Will this work with Win 98SE like FF2? If not, I'll leave those two machines alone.[/QUOTE]

no, windows 2000 and earlier are not supported

Laced with poison I bet.

imag0073iu8.jpg

[quote name='n25philly']no, windows 2000 and earlier are not supported[/quote]

From the Mozilla website:

Operating Systems

• Windows 2000
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows Vista
It probably will work fine on Windows 98 or ME, but Mozilla just won't "support" it.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Awesome! Anybody know if all OS formats are supported so far? I was thinking of going over to Ubuntu...[/quote]

Yeah, I use Arch Linux and firefox is updated for linux as well. :) When installing Ubuntu you will need to update as it will install firefox 2. Very simple to update once installed. Good luck!

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That doesn't really "disable" it. It still behaves the same; it just looks like old-style URL bar.[/QUOTE]

Well you can take it or leave it. I personally am not that bothered by the Awesome Bar right now, but figured I'd try to help out a little bit...sorry you didn't find that helpful...

For some reason Firefox 3 made my mouse scroll (rolling the middle wheel) VERY slow. I went into Vista's Control Panel and upped the scroll speed which helped a little, but even maxed out, it's still very slow. It literally takes about 30 degrees of a rotation to move up the tiniest bit possible. It would take forever to scroll a page this size (10 posts at 1680x1050).

I might revert just because of that... I've told Windows to make it as fast as I can and it's still too slow.

[quote name='mrelusive']I just had to (this is hanging at my desk now):

motivator9115818gk1.jpg
[/quote]

I had to explain this to all the engineers at work, and then they just sort of shrugged. Nobody appreciates CSS humor. :

Could someone please tell me where I can get firefox 2.5? Pretty please? I've tried all of the "older version" sites, but all they had was 2.0.0.14. Thanks for any help. Being relegated to using IE for now...

Good news and bad news...

Good news, pages load a heck lot faster...

Bad news, firefox.exe seems to take forever to close and remove the process. I did a clean install and cleaned out the registry and deleted all the settings and add-on folders prior to 3's installation. Hopefully this willl sort it self out.

I might revert back to 2 and give 3 another try later if this problem persist.

For all you people saying that it's slower than 2, you have to use it for a few weeks. It 'learns' what pages you go to most often, and after a while, gets used to your computer. Mine is running extremely fast with only 1GB of RAM.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Haven't tried Firefox 3 beta, want to save all the surprises for when it comes out. I just hope my Mario 3 skin works for it.[/quote]

Mario 3 skin? I've never looked into using skins.. you have a screen cap of how that looks at all?

[quote name='javeryh']Crap - I just updated and Tab Mix Plus is incompatible with v3.0. I need the "new tab" icon!!! :cry:[/quote]

I KNEW! that was an option I had before and I couldn't figure out if it was an add-on or something I edited in the about:config

I use the hell out of it but no way I was digging through the config messing around with stuff for an hour again. I'll look forward to the update for this as well :D

bread's done
Back