First "real" job interview, advice wanted

ChibiJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just finished my masters degree in May, and I've been searching for a job since. I've probably applied to a couple hundred jobs, and have had maybe 10 phone interviews. Today, I got the first call asking to speak with me again. So, I'm flying up to CT next week.

This job seems perfect and since I heard about it a couple weeks ago, it's been the one that I've really wanted. It has many similarities with the research I conducted for my thesis. So, I'm pretty nervous about it.

Since this is my first real, face-to-face, on-site interview, I was wondering if anyone had some advice. This is also the first time I'll be on a plane in about 4 years, and the first time I've flown alone.

One of the things that worries me most is that I have a medical condition that gets aggravated by me being worried and stressed (and worrying about said condition makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy or something).

Thanks.

relax.
be yourself
tell them what they want to hear
confidence is everything, you are the shit lol
and if you dont get it, fuck it keep looking :)

good luck

Go through the obvious questions that you don't want asked and have solid answers for them (tell me about a time you screwed something up at work, etc.). Have someone mock interview you. Seriously, it works. Do research on the company. If they're public, pull their financials. Where do they make their money and how can you contribute to that? Who are their competitors? What gives this company an edge?

You may not use any of that info at all, but just knowing it will give you insight into the company and I find it calming to know as much about the company as the person interviewing in case it comes up. Course, I'm a business major.

Be ready to ask good questions. They will often ask you at the end of the interview if you have any questions. Good ones will ice the cake for you and end the interview well.

[quote name='speedracer']
Be ready to ask good questions. They will often ask you at the end of the interview if you have any questions. Good ones will ice the cake for you and end the interview well.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. Always at the end of phone interviews, they ask if I have any questions, and I always feel like the biggest cock because I don't know what sort of things I'm supposed to ask. What are some good examples of things to ask?

Usually to avoid just saying "no", I ask something like "When can I expect to hear something?"

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This is a good point. Always at the end of phone interviews, they ask if I have any questions, and I always feel like the biggest cock because I don't know what sort of things I'm supposed to ask. What are some good examples of things to ask?

Usually to avoid just saying "no", I ask something like "When can I expect to hear something?"[/QUOTE]
Haha...that IS a good question!

I'd ask questions regarding the office culture. With loans, you might not be to picky, but you don't want to be grinding away in an oppressive environment with no room to grow.

brah, relax.....

find out about the company(their history, what they do) and start from there.

Let's say you're applying to a company that makes donut boxes...

you can be all like "ayo mr president, so what would you say has made this company more successful than other donut box makers?"

or

"do you guys plan on expanding to other markets, you know, worldwide man?"

these type of questions are always good because there are always answers for them. so when they answer it's easy to follow up with more questions.

1- Dont slouch and give firm handshakes.

2- Dont over explain things. If they ask you a direct question give them a direct answer. If they want extra information beyond the question they will ask.

3- Keep eye contact when they are speaking to you.

4- Say yes, not yeah or uh huh. Say no and not nope, nah.

5- Be honest. Especially about anything they already know from your application. When they ask you something just be honest, straight forward and to the point. Dont dance around issues.

6- Under no circumstances bad mouth or speak negatively about a previous job or experince with school or another person or whatnot. You want to be positive.

7- When you feel the interview is over ask them "Is there any reason why you wouldnt hire me?" It shows your serious and it gets their attention and shows your not just another applicant and if they do give you a reason then you know what not to do next time.

8- Dress nice and pay paticullar attention to your hands, shoes and hair in making sure they are suitable.

9- If you feel the interview goes well send that person a thank you card telling them you appreciate the time and consideration.

10- Be confident but not cocky, be approachable but not overly friendly, act like you want the job but dont be desperate.

11- Be humble. When you walk in dont just sit down, wait till they offer you chance to sit down. A interviewer is a person with power and they like knowing they have power, even in very subtle ways. You let them guide the conversations and questions also.

12- Do NOT ask about how much youll make, salaries or anything during an interview unless they offer that information to you first. That part comes later when they offer you the job officially.

13- When or if they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years dont say on a beach in mexico. They want to know where you see yourself in their company in 5 years. This is a bullshitter question because you want to seem ambitious but not unrealistic either. This question is to be answered showing them you plan to work hard for them and stay with them for 5 years.

14- Learn about the company before your interview. Read their website, look them up on google or whatever. Being prepared about the company shows your have moxy and when they ask you things related to the company you can seem more confident and know how to phrase your responses according to them. You dont have to know every last detail or anything but a good general idea of what they do is important.

Interviewing is essentially a skill you have to learn and practice at. The more you interview the better you will be at it. Some people are naturally good at it but for most they have to practice it.

I dont have much flying help to give you though because I love to fly. Even when I got to fly in a ww2 bomber I was allover the plane from the tail to the nose gunners seat the whole flight and have jumped out of planes in the army. Maybe take a portable with you if you have one to play games to take your mind off flying, if you like to drink maybe have a couple beers before the flight not so your drunk but just a little relaxed. Just remember how many thousands of flights we have in this country every and look at the incredibly small amounts of problems we hear about, flying is perfectly safe. Its just like being a kid and being afraid of something but when its over you realize its not anywhere near as bad as your mind made it out to be.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This is a good point. Always at the end of phone interviews, they ask if I have any questions, and I always feel like the biggest cock because I don't know what sort of things I'm supposed to ask. What are some good examples of things to ask?

Usually to avoid just saying "no", I ask something like "When can I expect to hear something?"[/QUOTE]

I think is very overrated. I been on interview panels before, and most of the time we already know if we are going to hire someone before we even ask that.

This is the point where you ask for the job, but only if you truly want it after the interview. Interviews go both ways and if you challenge them to answer questions, it's easier to figure out if it's right for you. Realistically, you'll be nervous so it's hard to do this, but if you know your shit and you find answering the questions easy then you're golden.

Hell, if you want to act like a pro and drive the interview yourself just ask the simple question at the start of "What challenges are you facing and how can the right person help you?" You might find the interviewer just opens up to you right off the bat. From there you can relate your work to their needs and suddenly you're THE candidate they need. I've had interviews where we skipped all the tough questions entirely because the direction of the interview was so genial.

These are very aggressive interview strategies, so if that's too much pressure for you just stick to the program. The biggest mistake you can make is not asking for the job, though. There's plenty of tips out there so just search and make yourself savvy. You'll do fine.
[quote name='gargus']11- Be humble. When you walk in dont just sit down, wait till they offer you chance to sit down. A interviewer is a person with power and they like knowing they have power, even in very subtle ways. You let them guide the conversations and questions also.[/QUOTE]No way. Unless they're a professional interviewer, chances are they're as skilled as a parent questioning who ate the last cookie (I exaggerate but you get the picture). If you pick up early that they're just following the rhetoric then you can help steer the conversation as well. This can even make them feel more comfortable around you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask for the job in a phone interview? You know it's common place for companies to interview someone multiple times, and at least once in person for sure. They aren't going to make a decision right then and there after a short phone interview.

[quote name='Clak']Ask for the job in a phone interview? You know it's common place for companies to interview someone multiple times, and at least once in person for sure. They aren't going to make a decision right then and there after a short phone interview.[/QUOTE]
He's flying out for a 1:1 in CT or did you miss that part?

[quote name='Jodou']He's flying out for a 1:1 in CT or did you miss that part?[/QUOTE]
He's referring to 62t's post about already knowing if they're going to hire someone by that point in the interview. I guess you missed that part.:lol:

[quote name='gargus']
I dont have much flying help to give you though because I love to fly. Even when I got to fly in a ww2 bomber I was allover the plane from the tail to the nose gunners seat the whole flight and have jumped out of planes in the army. Maybe take a portable with you if you have one to play games to take your mind off flying, if you like to drink maybe have a couple beers before the flight not so your drunk but just a little relaxed. Just remember how many thousands of flights we have in this country every and look at the incredibly small amounts of problems we hear about, flying is perfectly safe. Its just like being a kid and being afraid of something but when its over you realize its not anywhere near as bad as your mind made it out to be.[/QUOTE]
It's not the actual flying that I'm worried about, it's the bit before getting on the plane. Getting to the airport, getting through security, finding the right gate.

[quote name='Jodou']
No way. Unless they're a professional interviewer, chances are they're as skilled as a parent questioning who ate the last cookie (I exaggerate but you get the picture). If you pick up early that they're just following the rhetoric then you can help steer the conversation as well. This can even make them feel more comfortable around you![/QUOTE]
Well, if it's the same person I had the phone interview with, he's certainly not a professional interviewer. He was a Chinese man who had a doctorate (I'm not sure what in but either chemistry or chemical engineering most likely).
At the end of the 50 minute long phone interview, I said something like "Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me, and I really hope to hear from you again" to which he replied "We'll see". That is probably the worst reply you can get. It was a little disheartening.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's not the actual flying that I'm worried about, it's the bit before getting on the plane. Getting to the airport, getting through security, finding the right gate. [/QUOTE]

Ah ok. I misunderstood what you were saying.

I mean are you worried about missing the flight due to all that stuff or the actual hassle of having to do it all? Or is it like a psychological thing of actually just dealing with those things, as in your worried you might get stressed over just stepping onto the plane?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's not the actual flying that I'm worried about, it's the bit before getting on the plane. Getting to the airport, getting through security, finding the right gate.[/QUOTE]
Just show up 2 hours early and you should have no problem whatsoever. Just make sure you have your gear(keys, wallet, phone, travel bag) organized and your laptop in a separate bag for the xray scanner. If they stop you for a "random" check, you can go through the xray or get frisked. I also strongly recommend not having any pocket change and to travel as light as possible. There are no outside drinks allowed past the security desk. If you need a snack or a drink, there are shops by the gates.

Shoes, bags, and laptops have to go into their own bins for the xray conveyor machine.

Well, if it's the same person I had the phone interview with, he's certainly not a professional interviewer. He was a Chinese man who had a doctorate (I'm not sure what in but either chemistry or chemical engineering most likely).
At the end of the 50 minute long phone interview, I said something like "Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me, and I really hope to hear from you again" to which he replied "We'll see". That is probably the worst reply you can get. It was a little disheartening.
HAHAHAHA

[quote name='gargus']Ah ok. I misunderstood what you were saying.

I mean are you worried about missing the flight due to all that stuff or the actual hassle of having to do it all? Or is it like a psychological thing of actually just dealing with those things, as in your worried you might get stressed over just stepping onto the plane?[/QUOTE]
Well, I've only flown twice and both those times were with a large group of friends, so I sort of let them worry about where we were going and such. I know airport a kinda confusing, so I'm a little worried about getting lost trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go.

Now, my worry about security is a bit more of a psychological thing. Whenever I'm in a situation like this where I haven't really done it much and I know there's a certain procedure you're supposed to follow, I feel much more comfortable to have a friend do it first, and then I can just mimic what they do.

Last time I flew, I remember having to grab a bin and put my bags in the bin with everything in my pockets and also my shoes. Then I had to slide the bin forward and walk through the x-ray. But, like I said, that was about 4 years ago, it could be completely different.

I guess the best way to put it is that I (like most people, I'm sure) like to appear that I know what I'm doing. And if I get confused over the procedure for going through security that illusion will be broke.

[quote name='dohdough'] I also strongly recommend not having any pocket change and to travel as light as possible. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I pretty much plan on just taking a backpack and my suit. I'm not even sure if I'll take my laptop.

Speaking of suits though, I have a suit and everything, but I don't have anything to put it in for traveling. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, I've only flown twice and both those times were with a large group of friends, so I sort of let them worry about where we were going and such. I know airport a kinda confusing, so I'm a little worried about getting lost trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go.

Now, my worry about security is a bit more of a psychological thing. Whenever I'm in a situation like this where I haven't really done it much and I know there's a certain procedure you're supposed to follow, I feel much more comfortable to have a friend do it first, and then I can just mimic what they do.

Last time I flew, I remember having to grab a bin and put my bags in the bin with everything in my pockets and also my shoes. Then I had to slide the bin forward and walk through the x-ray. But, like I said, that was about 4 years ago, it could be completely different.

I guess the best way to put it is that I (like most people, I'm sure) like to appear that I know what I'm doing. And if I get confused over the procedure for going through security that illusion will be broke.[/QUOTE]

This might sound silly but try going to the airport. Watch the security gates and watch people going through, go out to the right terminal and watch the planes and how they board them and such one day for a little bit.

Might feel like a jackass but go when the airport is slower, walk up to the security personal and tell them you dont have a flight but you want to go through the checkout procedure because you have a psychological fear of it or something. I highly they would tell you no since its no skin off their teeth.

Go find out what terminal your leaving from, drive up there, walk through security, walk out to the terminal and do like a dry run where your not on a schedule, there is no pressure or anything. When the real deal comes up then youll have a feel for it because you already did it once.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Yeah, I pretty much plan on just taking a backpack and my suit. I'm not even sure if I'll take my laptop.

Speaking of suits though, I have a suit and everything, but I don't have anything to put it in for traveling. Anyone have any suggestions for that?[/QUOTE]
Go to a store that has those special bags for suits or try a dry-cleaner for those long plastic bags, although, they should have special bags for suits too. The thing is to not fold it and then throw it in a bag so it'll wrinkle up. If you put it in one of those special bags and then fold it in half without compressing it too much, you'll be fine.

And for the love of jeebus, don't follow gargus' advice. Shit like that would paint a huge bullseye on your back for security.

[quote name='dohdough']
And for the love of jeebus, don't follow gargus' advice. Shit like that would paint a huge bullseye on your back for security.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm smart enough to know that'd be suspicious behavior. Plus the airport is an hour and a half away which would be too much effort.

I'm now thinking it'd be a good idea to take my laptop. I'll probably want to jerk off the night before to relieve some stress.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
chibi you cant't be nervous about going through airport security if you're looking to nail a job interview.[/QUOTE]
Those are 2 completely different things. A job interview is likely conducted in a room with a couple other people at most. Airport security is out in the open with millions of things happening all around you and hundreds of people waiting in line behind you.

[quote name='dohdough']
And for the love of jeebus, don't follow gargus' advice. Shit like that would paint a huge bullseye on your back for security.[/QUOTE]

No it wouldnt. If he explains his reasoning like I said and then goes through security what will they find? Nothing. When he goes through it again for his trip what will they find? Nothing again.

Your a fucking idiot if you think they will like call the fbi and start tracking him or something stupid like that. Security/police would rather someone be upfront and just say "I have a problem with doing something new like this so Im just checking out what all I have to do so when I have my flight Ill know where to go and what to do so Im not late because I never fly alone and Im just nervous about doing it alone and nervous about a job interview". I mean exactly what is it you think they would do? What does it matter if he goes through security without getting on a plane and when he does later to get on a plane. All they can do either way is run him through it, if he is clean then guess what? Nothing happens and he goes on. You dont have to worry about shit unless your actually doing something bad.

Bullseye on your back? Jesus h christ, people really do watch the news too much and have this irrational and conspiriacy fears that the government is out to get you or something. Everyone running around scared and afraid either terrorists will get them or police, its a god damn joke.

You people are just a bunch of piss scared cowards is all. Hell I did it 2 months ago when I picked up the older couple that live down the street from me from their trip to california. I was going to wait outside in the cell phone lot till they showed up and drive to get them at baggage claim. But I hadnt been in the airport since I was a kid and curious to see what had changed, so I went there early and went in. I was curious about security so I was looking, guard asked me what I was doing and I told him. I asked if I could do the body scanner just to see what they were like and all 3 of them there were friendly and indulged me and I left. No one followed me, I wasnt handcuffed and drug in to be beat for a interrogation or any of that nonsense. Lets pretend they have me on a video camera and kept me on file for being suspicious.......so what? Im not going to do anything bad there so I have nothing to worry about.

[quote name='panzerfaust']yeah except in one case no one gives a shit -- and in the other, all eyes on you.

im probably not helping[/QUOTE]
I'm not particularly worried about the interview because the events up until now seem to suggest they're very interested in me, and as long as I don't do anything to horrible screw this up I have a very good chance at being hired.

I originally sent my resume in on the 28th last month, and 10-15 minutes after I e-mailed my resume I got a reply saying basically "call me". So I called and had a short 15 minute chat about things. Then last Tuesday, I got a call about scheduling a phone interview which was then scheduled for the following day. The phone interview lasted about 50 minutes which seems long to me. Most of the other phone interviews I've had have lasted around 15 minutes. The guy who interviewed me told me he'd be on vacation this week so not to expect to hear anything until next week. I think the fact that I heard something today is a very good sign.

Make sure by the end of the interview that you've expressed clearly your interested in working for the company, not just for the money or the location or as a platform for a better job but the company itself. It's very easy when acting professional to not properly express this and a lack of enthusiasm and interest is a major turnoff for many businesses.

Study up the company you're applying and be prepared to sell yourself as to how you would be a great fit with their organization. The more specific you can be, the better.

Also if you really have anxiety issues, ask your doctor for some propranolol (as long as you don't have a history of asthma). Very handy to settle the nerves without anything sedating. I took some for a major oral exam and it worked great.

[quote name='dohdough']

+1. Do not follow Gargus' awful advice unless you want a cavity search. And we're not talking teeth.

As for the job interview, here's the best advice I can give you: take 2 caffeine tabs. You'll think you're manic but you'll come off appearing energetic and eager. Works every single time. Nobody wants a slouch and a boring person. (I used to drink coffee or red bull but then you'll have to pee.)

Obviously if you're allergic to caffeine or some weird shit like that, do not take caffeine.

Just be relaxed and confident as possible. It will go a long way. If you truly believe you can do the job well they will believe it too!

[quote name='gargus']
13- When or if they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years [/QUOTE]

The only acceptable answer is "doing your wife"

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just finished my masters degree in May, and I've been searching for a job since. I've probably applied to a couple hundred jobs, and have had maybe 10 phone interviews. Today, I got the first call asking to speak with me again. So, I'm flying up to CT next week.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, your coming from West Virginia up to CT of all places to get a job? You also had over 200+ applications? Wow, this country is going to hell. Especially if you have to come to CT, this is probably one of the worst states to live in (High state Tax across the board, and now the second highest in gas prices).

With that said I wish you luck. My advice is to be yourself, and of course get a place to rent rather then own until you get enough cash on hand to buy a house outright.

Hey ChibiJosh,

I would recommend getting your hands on this book (or even some of the older ones) from the library or even buy it, if need be. I had a business/accounting professor recommend the series to me back in college. The authors do a really good job at covering tough interview questions like, "What is your worst character quality?" or "What would you do if you didn't like this job?" Questions that may throw you off in the moment. Here is the Amazon link to the book. Their website seems to be currently down. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ead+interview&sprefix=knock+em+dead+interview

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dinovelvet']The only acceptable answer is "doing your wife"[/QUOTE] These people are probably fairly old, so I'll probably switch it up to "Doing your daughter" [quote name='Monsta Mack']Wait, your coming from West Virginia up to CT of all places to get a job? You also had over 200+ applications? Wow, this country is going to hell. Especially if you have to come to CT, this is probably one of the worst states to live in (High state Tax across the board, and now the second highest in gas prices). [/QUOTE] Really? One of the worst states to live in because things cost a little more? I don't really hear a bunch of stories of people being murdered and such in CT. The reason I had to put in so many applications is because I don't have any actual industrial experience. Even jobs that are marked "entry-level" ask for 1-3 years most of the time.

[quote name='chimpian']relax.
be yourself
tell them what they want to hear
confidence is everything, you are the shit lol
and if you dont get it, fuck it keep looking :)

good luck[/QUOTE]

don't forget to offer blowjobs.

Just be yourself. If you have gotten this far, they know you have the technical knowledge needed for the job. They mostly just care about soft skills now and if you will fit within the company.

[quote name='gargus']This might sound silly but try going to the airport. Watch the security gates and watch people going through, go out to the right terminal and watch the planes and how they board them and such one day for a little bit.

Might feel like a jackass but go when the airport is slower, walk up to the security personal and tell them you dont have a flight but you want to go through the checkout procedure because you have a psychological fear of it or something. I highly they would tell you no since its no skin off their teeth.

Go find out what terminal your leaving from, drive up there, walk through security, walk out to the terminal and do like a dry run where your not on a schedule, there is no pressure or anything. When the real deal comes up then youll have a feel for it because you already did it once.[/QUOTE]

You're a retard.

[quote name='gargus']This might sound silly but try going to the airport. Watch the security gates and watch people going through, go out to the right terminal and watch the planes and how they board them and such one day for a little bit.

Go find out what terminal your leaving from, drive up there, walk through security, walk out to the terminal and do like a dry run where your not on a schedule, there is no pressure or anything. When the real deal comes up then youll have a feel for it because you already did it once.[/QUOTE]

It also helps if you grow a long beard and wear a turban. Being brown will get you bonus points, too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh'] Really? One of the worst states to live in because things cost a little more? I don't really hear a bunch of stories of people being murdered and such in CT. The reason I had to put in so many applications is because I don't have any actual industrial experience. Even jobs that are marked "entry-level" ask for 1-3 years most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Unemployment is also pretty high in the state at with a 9.3% But yeah CT has one of the highest income taxes in the US, the second worst gas prices (only behind Hawaii now), hell I even heard we had the worst food pricing in the US but I am not 100% sure on that.

As far as murder? New Haven, CT Meriden, CT are one of the worst in the US, though there are much worst. Just stay out of those two cities (Though I've lived in Meriden all my life and haven't heard it was that bad, I think its mainly New Haven). Also stay out of Hartford and Bridgeport if possible.

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/crime3.aspx

Weather wise you will be ok in CT if you were use to Tornados, Hurricanes and other non-winter releated weather. However, be warned the winter can vary here. Some years we get nothing, but the last two Januarys have been brutal to the point I had to call out of work 3 times because the roads were too treacherous (and now that I own a house It's going to be fun cleaning up all the snow!). We actually set a record in snowfall last year for January. Feb was friggin' cold but it was in the 50's often so we had little bad weather to deal with.

Lastly, CT has had a pretty stagnant growth over the years and most of the folks born here move out. At one point prior to 2000 we were one of the few states in the U.S. that actually had a decrease in population year after year, but we've made strides and actually have had over 100k+ increase in population since 2000. Age wise a majority of the population is pretty old, so I think that population increase will be dropping significantly over the next ten years.

It's just a crappy state overall. My friends who live in other states would only come here for one reason, the same reason your coming here - a job.

I'd say the only biggest plus of this state is the weather as long as you can deal with snow. Never seen a hurricane, tornado or even flooding in this state before.

Edit: Forgot one of the most important things! PROPERTY TAXES! They are pretty big in CT. For example I pay about $3k+ for 1,200 square feet. My friends outside of CT spend about half that in property taxes.
Rent was $625 with Heat and Water for 1 bedroom in New Britain. I think It's gone up a bit since then though.

Thanks for all that. I've never seen a hurricane or tornado either. It'll be nice to continue not to see them. 2 years ago, in Morgantown, we had such bad snow that the university cancelled a few days. The city that the job is in is Danbury, by the way.

I just got my itinerary for the day. I have to meet with like 9 different people over the course of the day.

Given that I am a freelancer I go on about 20 or so "interviews" a month with new clients and such.

My advice is simply, dont "interview," come in like you already have the job. Dont use words like you or I, talk like you have already been there. We, us, together. This allows people to picture you already working for them.

Also, come in with some type of solution to a problem that they have. This may seem hard but people will appreciate the attempt no one wants to hire someone who has no ideas.

The other thing, and I learned this from a CNN reporter I was shooting for, dont just sit there and be talked at. You will be amazed at how many people dont actually engage in a conversation. Lean in and truly listen and respond to what they are saying. Leaning in shows that you are relaxed and actually listening...sitting straight up and nodding your head like most people do gives the impression you are a student and inferior to the people talking to you.

If all else fails do a dance on their table...I suggest the Jerk.

Make sure you know your own resume. And other than that, be honest (show positive attitude always). I put down an internship I hated in my resume, but when asked, I admit I didn't like it, but I learned something new about myself etc.

That's all there is to it I guess. Knowing what you wrote in your resume and being honest. But I'm still in college, so I'm only accustomed to internship interviews.

[quote name='shieryda']The only thing that you should NOT do for an interview is bring your step-brother along:[/QUOTE]

Win.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Thanks for all that. I've never seen a hurricane or tornado either. It'll be nice to continue not to see them. 2 years ago, in Morgantown, we had such bad snow that the university cancelled a few days. The city that the job is in is Danbury, by the way.

I just got my itinerary for the day. I have to meet with like 9 different people over the course of the day.[/QUOTE]

Well good luck.

The day is quickly approaching. I got a small notepad to keep in my suit pocket. In it I wrote the names of everyone who will be interviewing me, their titles plus tidbits from the research I've done about the company and research I did about the product they manufacture. I think I'm pretty ready.

Gargus has a lot of good tips. I'd like to add one more.

If the company asks about your weaknesses, don't try to turn it into a positive and give a bullshit answer like "Sometimes I work to hard." or "Sometimes I get too focused on work". No one believes that and your interviewer has heard them all before.

Many times that question is used as a personality screener just to find out what type of person you are. So be honest. Tell them what you are weak on, and then go one further and give specific examples on what you have done to improve upon your weakness.

Keep it short, obviously you don't want to spend too much time talking about what you are bad at, but give them the impression you know your abilities and you are motivated to improve yourself.

Having just interviewed someone here today, I can tell you flat out. If you don't know the answer to something, do not bullshit your way through it. I do know the answer to the question I'm asking you and you'll get much more respect from me with an "I'm not sure about that one" than making up something.

bread's done
Back