First time flying...advice/tips?

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
^^. First time flyer here. Going to Europe for 11 days, which means a 14 hour flight (just to get there). Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.

1. Stay up all night. Sleep on the plane.

2. Be metal. Make sure you stuff a foil-wrapped cucumber down your pants before you go through security.

Bring something that will entertain you. Either a good book, a portable gaming device, a laptop, or something. Either have something to do or you'll be bored to tears.

The list so far...
  • Batman: Knightfall Part 1
  • Batman: Knightfall Part 2
  • Netbook
  • MP3 player
  • DS Lite (if I can pick up Okamiden on the 15th)
  • 2 books

Still just try to sleep. If you don't sleep on an international flight you are going to have to watch reurns of the Jay Leno Tonight Show along with The Last Mimzy.

[quote name='Habbler']Still just try to sleep. If you don't sleep on an international flight you are going to have to watch reurns of the Jay Leno Tonight Show along with The Last Mimzy.[/QUOTE]

I bought a travel pillow that wraps around the neck, and I may bring sleeping pills just to help out.

Take some chewing gum or something to help your ears pop when descending. And once you get there remember, fists with your toes...fists with your toes...

Its a international flight so they will have a entertainment system on it. You don't really need to bring anything with you to entertain yourself on the flight. The entertainment system will probably have some crappy games and tons of movies and TV shows on it. You should really sleep as much as possible on the flight so you can get adjusted to the time difference asap.

[quote name='SynGamer']3 nights in Dublin, 3 nights in London, and 3 nights in Venice.[/QUOTE]
Curious, I seem to be missing my invitation.

I like to mess with other passengers by refusing to take off my parachute and football helmet.

Other than that, the conventional advice of sleeping and taking along a DS or PSP and books is pretty much what you're looking for. It's dull. You're sitting (generally in an uncomfortable and small chair) for hoooouuuurrrsss surrounded by strangers. You want something to occupy your mind so you're not sitting there thinking about being in an uncomfortable and small chair for hours surrounded by strangers.

Sleeping pills.

People are boring.

The Movies suck.

Some people smell.

Pop a nice sleeping pill, have one drink, wake up in Dublin. Try not to piss yourself en route.

Man thats a long flight, when I went to Europe I brought a GBA (hey it was 2005!) a book and cash to buy alcohol. I'm a terrible flyer, so it was a LONG flight. Just hope that your plane has VOD so you can pick a movie instead of getting stuck with something. It's a long flight so you might end up watching a movie you never thought you would, like Hitch, not that I've seen it......

Walk around every few hours. Isn't it a concern on long trips to not let your blood clot? (Not done an international flight, just waht I understand)

I usually just take my Kindle and my iPod. That will keep me occupied.

I've never been able to sleep on flights, or anywhere else sitting up, so I just read and listen to music the whole flight most of the time. Also watch in flight movies sometimes if there's something I haven't seen that I'm interested in.

watch movies on the plane, bring some music, maybe a pillow if you want. but make sure you sleep when it is night time there, you don't want to screw up your circadian rhythm, even if it means staying up 24+hours.. jet lag suckz

Bring something comfortable to wear. I generally change into sweatpants or windbreakers with a hoodie when I am on the plane.

You can always look up what movies or shows a flight is showing on their website.

Be sure to bring some gum with you, for takeoff and arrival, some people are really sensitive to the pressure change and will have their ears "popping". And if you've got extra gum while your ascending/descending, share with your seat buddies, so long as they aren't douches.

These flights usually come with entertainment screens in the back of the seat in front of you, but there generally boring/stupid especially when you've had uncomfortable headphones on your ears for three hours for the first movie. You seem prepared, just remember the gum.

Take as little as possible...both carry on and in general. 1st because it sucks to drag heavy luggage around and 2nd because you'll probably come back with more than you took. Also, assuming it's the same now as it was when I went, while leaving from the US you are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal bag, coming back from Europe you may only be allowed 1 bag. Period.

As everyone else has mentioned...use the plane's in flight entertainment. Sleep. If you are a reader, take a book or (if you have one) an ebook reader. Done.

[quote name='texasnightowl'] Also, assuming it's the same now as it was when I went, while leaving from the US you are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal bag, coming back from Europe you may only be allowed 1 bag. Period.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't run into that traveling to Stockholm this past summer. I had my carry on rolling suitcase and my briefcase/laptop bag both ways with no problem.

Also, I think it was free to check one bag if needed for international flights.

I've only traveled to Asia so maybe it depends on the airline but I basically watch their movies. They generally have a bunch to choose from. I might get like an hour or two of sleep but it's just not comfortable, just sleep early on your first night of arrival.

For some reason I've always hated playing video games on flights. I can't get into them and they're a constant reminder that I'm stuck in a chair.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I didn't run into that traveling to Stockholm this past summer. I had my carry on rolling suitcase and my briefcase/laptop bag both ways with no problem.

Also, I think it was free to check one bag if needed for international flights.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they may have lightened up on the personal + carry-on. Still, I'm in favor of the "take as little with you as possible" method. Less for security to scan and/or dig through. Less to have to mess with/keep your eye on, etc.

And yes, I think all airlines give you one free checked bag for international flights.

Oh I always pack light. I just generally have my carry-on suitcase and my briefcase/laptop bag as most of my travel is for work (and I usually have to take some work on vacations as well).

But that's pretty easy as I have a nice briefcase that slides over the handle on my carry-on.

Can't believe no one mentioned this.

Drink before your flight. Whiskey does wonders. Fun times, usually makes the ride smooth and mellow. You sound prepared, just kick back, relax and enjoy your trip :)

[quote name='Chuplayer']1. Stay up all night. Sleep on the plane.[/QUOTE]
This almost NEVER works for me. Every time I see these road warriors/shamans sleeping deeply on any manner of transport, I fight the urge to fall at their feet and beg for enlightenment. TEACH ME HOW.

[quote name='j-cart']Can't believe no one mentioned this.

Drink before your flight. Whiskey does wonders. Fun times, usually makes the ride smooth and mellow. You sound prepared, just kick back, relax and enjoy your trip :)[/QUOTE]
It's possible no one mentioned it because it's a lousy idea for anyone who isn't an alcoholic. Not only will you be lagged, you'll have a nasty hangover at some point. You'd have to take a ton of water on the plane to keep you hydrated, but even then, you're bound to feel terrible once you come to.

i'd take an immodium AD or something... something that will help you not take a shit on the flight. the worst thing to do on a plane besides say BOMB, is have to take a duece.

I'm going to India for 3 weeks in the summer. Not looking forward to that flight, calculator says it's close to a 16 hour flight. I've only flown once before, it was a domestic flight and only lasted around 1.5 hours.

I'm going to feel like shit when we get there probably.

[quote name='Clak']I'm going to India for 3 weeks in the summer. Not looking forward to that flight, calculator says it's close to a 16 hour flight. I've only flown once before, it was a domestic flight and only lasted around 1.5 hours.

I'm going to feel like shit when we get there probably.[/QUOTE]

What part of India are you going to? I will be going to India in April.

I stay away from alcohol when flying as I don't like to have to get up and pee anymore than I have to, and I have a high metabolism so liquor goes straight through me. It sucks if you have to pee bad and get a bumpy flight where the seatbelt light is on most of the time.

I also don't get nervous at all about flying. Never really did to begin with, and don't at all after flying at least 5-10 times a year the past decade or so.

No matter how long I'm gone I only take 2 bags with me. Carry on and personal bag. I never check bags. The airport lackeys always lose peoples bags. Even if that means getting creative with your liquids or just not bringing them. I've flown to Nevada to see my dad for a week+ with a backpack and a duffel bag. I managed to fit my X360, Baseball glove, clothes and and tennis shoes in those two bags. I hate people with those damn roller bags. Takes them an hour to put their stuff away and they take up to much damn room.

As for advice. If you can choose your seat do so wisely. Pick an aisle if you are not going to sleep. It may be annoying to get up for people but that also means you don't have to get them up to get out. If you are going to sleep get a window. One less person to bother you. Choosing your seat mate is hit or miss. I've sat next to some really cool people, and I've sat next to some really annoying, smelly, fat etc...people. If someone dies on the flight, don't sweat it. I've had it happen on one of my flights before (true story).

If you check your bags, don't be a dick with what you pack. When I got back from a con in CA, my bag and nearly everything in it was *soaked* in hot sauce from some douchebags that shoved a bunch of bottles in their luggage.

Take a face mask to cover your eyes while you try to sleep, and also some kind of headphones/earplugs, or other noise cancelling devices so you can ignore other loud passengers being asshats, and block out the sounds of screaming, crying children.

If you end up sitting next to a fine looking lady (or man if that's your deal) you are required by law to try and talk them into having sex with you in the toilets, THIS IS MANDATORY, repeat MANDATORY !!!

There is no greater accomplishment than joining the mile high club.

[quote name='benjamouth']If you end up sitting next to a fine looking lady (or man if that's your deal) you are required by law to try and talk them into having sex with you in the toilets, THIS IS MANDATORY, repeat MANDATORY !!!

There is no greater accomplishment than joining the mile high club.[/QUOTE]

having sex in Denver?

This is another rule of airplane travel. If you see a hot chick (or man if that's your deal) walking down the aisle towards you, there's absolutely no chance she'll be sitting next to you. Instead, you will be stuck next to fat sweaty guy.

[quote name='confoosious']
This is another rule of airplane travel. If you see a hot chick (or man if that's your deal) walking down the aisle towards you, there's absolutely no chance she'll be sitting next to you. Instead, you will be stuck next to fat sweaty guy.[/QUOTE]

This is a sad truth.

Last time I flew back from the UK I was sitting next to this old woman, she farted about half way through the flight and it smelled like something had crawled inside her and died.

That is air travel.

make sure you get your hands on some benzo of some variety (vallium/xanax) as a 14 hour flight will fuck with you. Also, any sleep you get from the drugs won't interfere with your biorhythms as badly as staying awake the whole time.

[quote name='benjamouth']If you end up sitting next to a fine looking lady (or man if that's your deal) you are required by law to try and talk them into having sex with you in the toilets, THIS IS MANDATORY, repeat MANDATORY !!!

There is no greater accomplishment than joining the mile high club.[/QUOTE]

I'm traveling with my fiancé. I have already tried to talked her into this and she stands by her "NO". :(

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm traveling with my fiancé. I have already tried to talked her into this and she stands by her "NO". :([/QUOTE]

That's where the alcohol before/during the flight comes into play.

[quote name='slickkill77'] Takes them an hour to put their stuff away and they take up to much damn room.
[/QUOTE]

I don't get how it takes some people so long. I use roller bags and I get to my seat, through the briefcase on the seat, stuff my roller bag up top and sit down.

I'd never travel without the roller bag, too hard to lug other luggage around (and I usually take the subway to the airport which makes it worse) and I want something sturdy to keep my clothes from getting too wrinkled so I can usually get by without ironing.

[quote name='captainfrizo']That's where the alcohol before/during the flight comes into play.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, when she's good and toasted you rape the shit out of her in the lavatory. Then when the wedding bells go off and you're now pronounced man and wife, you can turn to those in attendance and shout "I MILE HIGH CLUBBED THIS FILTHY WHORE! WOOHOO!" Somebody better be ready for high fives!

I'd gladly trade groping and hurried doggystyle at high altitudes for the ability to sleep from takeoff to landing. Jesus, it must be a charmed life, to sleep contentedly in transit. I try to maintain productivity and work on the plane, but it never takes, there's always some asshole in front of me leaning the seat back and giving me half a lap for my laptop. It'd be so nice to chalk travel time up as sleep, nature's sweet restorer.

I said it. When it comes to travel, sleep >> sex.

[quote name='j-cart']Can't believe no one mentioned this.

Drink before your flight. Whiskey does wonders. Fun times, usually makes the ride smooth and mellow. You sound prepared, just kick back, relax and enjoy your trip :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Vodka for me though.

Also pack as little shit as possible and tell your girl the same. You can always buy stuff while you're there. No need to carry crap you might not use. Like I tell my girlfriend...If we end up somewhere there aren't any stores around that means the plane crashed.

It's been over 7 years since I've flown in a plane, but do they all have wifi now?

And are they big douches about when you can have portable devices turned on?

That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard. How does a turned on PSP or DS affect the plane's navigational systems?

bread's done
Back