Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Even though this might end the war, its also kills Blu-ray from needing to make the best deals. There is no more competition so they will take there time with cheaper players and movie deals. They don't have to worry about anyone else so they can take there time. Competition on makes companies strive to be the best and the consumer wins, no competition and the company wins.[/quote]

They do have competition, it's called DVD.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Even though this might end the war, its also kills Blu-ray from needing to make the best deals.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. We can say "war's over" all we want, but the fact is Universal is still quite betrothed to HD DVD. Blu-Ray still has a lot to prove to be the one hidef format, and once HD DVD is done for, they have to convince people to move beyond DVD.

[quote name='mykevermin']Not necessarily. We can say "war's over" all we want, but the fact is Universal is still quite betrothed to HD DVD. Blu-Ray still has a lot to prove to be the one hidef format, and once HD DVD is done for, they have to convince people to move beyond DVD.[/QUOTE]

Myke actually making sense?!? Jesus, I think I crossed over into the Twilight Zone or drunk too much Nyquil last night.

[quote name='Sporadic']Myke actually making sense?!? Jesus, I think I crossed over into the Twilight Zone or drunk too much Nyquil last night.[/QUOTE]

Calm down, sweetie. War ain't over, but it's late in the 4th Quarter b/w the Patriots and the Dolphins. ;)

HD-DVD Forum Calls a Time-out.
http://wesleytech.com/
Notice of CES Press Conference Cancellation by North American HD DVD Promotion Group
“Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference scheduled for Sunday, January 6th at 8:30 p.m. in the Wynn Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD’s commitment to quality and affordability – a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format.

We’ll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DVD.”

[quote name='mykevermin']Calm down, sweetie. War ain't over, but it's late in the 4th Quarter b/w the Patriots and the Dolphins. ;)[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy. The Dolphins beat the Patriots late in the season 2 out of the last three years, and it really should have been 3 out of 3.

Personally I think this was inevitable. I can't believe people are in such an uproar over something that was bound to happen. Anyone who thought that Sony wasn't going to make sure their format succeeded needs their head examined. They cut the price and bundled the drive to ensure success and their home catalog and partners set them up to win right out of the gate. HD DVD is nice, but Blu Ray completely outclasses it (I really hate the load times and all that extra garbage on HD DVD's that makes them take 5 minutes to load initally). I already leaned blu so nothing changes for me, though I think some are going to have to look at their buying habits and switch things up.

Also Linkin just get a PS3. Are you really that scared that you will end up liking it?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']HD-DVD Forum Calls a Time-out.
http://wesleytech.com/[/quote]

Ouch...that's not a good sign. My guess is that they had an open deal with Warner to go HD DVD exclusive, WB said that they would take it, Toshiba was waiting for signed paperwork from WB, then Sony slipped in a better offer and Warner dissed HD DVD without even giving them a warning.

[quote name='mykevermin']Calm down, sweetie. War ain't over, but it's late in the 4th Quarter b/w the Patriots and the Dolphins. ;)[/quote]

hey! no dolphin jokes please

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Also Linkin just get a PS3. Are you really that scared that you will end up liking it?[/quote]
Eventually I will might, waiting for more solid titles and cheaper system price. I'm holding out for a $200 PS3 but that's if they end up with more titles that I want to play...currently all that interest me is Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Time Crisis (which I own) and looking forward to Infamous and the new God Of War...that's about it, so I can't justify spending $400-500 for a PS3 right now.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Bad analogy. The Dolphins beat the Patriots late in the season 2 out of the last three years, and it really should have been 3 out of 3.[/QUOTE]

Oh, christ. *THIS* year's Patriots and *THIS* year's Dolphins. Better? ;)

EDIT: What's the "HD DVD Forum," and what's the significance of canceling a pre-CES keynote? Is this the same 2-hour presentation that WB was scheduled to be a part of?

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: What's the "HD DVD Forum," and what's the significance of canceling a pre-CES keynote? Is this the same 2-hour presentation that WB was scheduled to be a part of?[/quote]

It's actually the HD DVD Promotions Group, which is a subsection of the DVD Forum. I don't know if WB was going to be a part of it, or if they were just in the HD DVD PRG's booth, but this is the press conference where the PRG would have laid out all their big announcements, etc etc. Cancelling it is a VERY bad sign. It means they were completely blindsided by WB's announcement and have no fucking idea what to do about it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, christ. *THIS* year's Patriots and *THIS* year's Dolphins. Better? ;)

EDIT: What's the "HD DVD Forum," and what's the significance of canceling a pre-CES keynote? Is this the same 2-hour presentation that WB was scheduled to be a part of?[/QUOTE]
It's the same presentation, and HD DVD froum = Toshiba, etc.......

I'm loling at the HDD forums. HD DVD fanboys are wanting the HD DVD forum to sue Warner for "breach of contract". I'm sure Warner didn't break any contracts

[quote name='geko29']It's actually the HD DVD Promotions Group, which is a subsection of the DVD Forum. I don't know if WB was going to be a part of it, or if they were just in the HD DVD PRG's booth, but this is the press conference where the PRG would have laid out all their big announcements, etc etc. Cancelling it is a VERY bad sign. It means they were completely blindsided by WB's announcement and have no fucking idea what to do about it.[/quote]

Well it's not canceled, just postponed, but yeah this is not good for them, makes it seem like they don't have a plan in place or know what to do. And I can't imagine that HD-DVD had some deal with Warner and they would back out on it. I just think they expected them to stay neutral like everyone else. And HD-DVD Forum = anyone associated with HD-DVD.

[quote name='anomynous']I'm loling at the HDD forums. HD DVD fanboys are wanting the HD DVD forum to sue Warner for "breach of contract". I'm sure Warner didn't break any contracts[/quote]
Just as bad at AVS. Lots of people saying how they're going back to SD DVD, waiting for downloads, will never invest in HDM again, this is the death of HiDef etc. etc.

It's a shiny disc with moving pictures on it. Get over yourselves.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']HD-DVD Forum Calls a Time-out.
http://wesleytech.com/[/QUOTE]

Smart move.

If this was truly the surprise they are making this out to be, I bet a portion of their conference was about Warner. Plus it would have been an even bigger disaster to go up on stage with 0 answers/spin for Warner's decision.

They better get their shit together though in the next two weeks.

Best plan of action I can think of is to either get Paramount to release a full list of what they are working on, have Universal break out the big gun (Back To The Future, Steven Speilberg's movies regardless whether he approves or not) or try to get Weinstein back into the game.

[quote name='geko29']Just as bad at AVS. Lots of people saying how they're going back to SD DVD, waiting for downloads, will never invest in HDM again, this is the death of HiDef etc. etc.

It's a shiny disc with moving pictures on it. Get over yourselves.[/quote]
Yeah, I laugh at those people.......

And Blu-ray's are shinier! ;)

And Quite frankly, I could never go back to SD-DVD. It's horrible!

[quote name='geko29']It's actually the HD DVD Promotions Group, which is a subsection of the DVD Forum. I don't know if WB was going to be a part of it, or if they were just in the HD DVD PRG's booth, but this is the press conference where the PRG would have laid out all their big announcements, etc etc. Cancelling it is a VERY bad sign. It means they were completely blindsided by WB's announcement and have no fucking idea what to do about it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Thought it seems, as others pointed out, "postponed" rather than "canceled." There's no doubt it caught them off-guard (and while that seems like karma for the Paramount deal, I can't imagine WB doing this with any animosity towards either group, really). But unless WB was the be-all end-all of the announcement, then we'll still get something from them.

I only hope that the majority of what they plan on discussing doesn't involve a new line of players, like the oft-rumored Xbox 360 with internal HD DVD drive. OW! :lol:

[quote name='geko29']It's a shiny disc with moving pictures on it. Get over yourselves.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. I did a touch of gloating, but time to move on.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/63608

And interesting interview with a WB exec who explains the move. In part, he blames the decline of DVD sales on consumer confusion to a degree. I can't help but think that he has proper logic, but you can't neglect the fact that the economy has been pretty fucked this year, which may account for a larger part of the decline in DVD sales.

Hey maybe now Warner will be able to release titles with no problems :)

but knowing them they'd still find a way to fuck it up lol

I own both a HD player (the add on) and a blu ray in PS3, so I could care less really. I'll just watch the ones I have in HD, if it goes down

I'm probably not up to date with the discussion of this thread, but let me chime in.

- You all knew the Blu-Ray had beaten HD-DVD in sales every week last year, sometimes even crushing them.

- Even with Paramount's backing of HD-DVD, they still didn't beat Blu-Ray.

- Blu-Ray has been more prominently featured in stores, Blockbuster went exclusive and Target exclusively sold their players this holiday season.

- Disney, Sony, and Fox were all Blu-ray exclusive.

And much more. Seriously, HOW THE fuck IS THIS A SURPRISE?

Man, that bites. I just got an HD-DVD player last week, for Christmas. I haven't even had a chance to buy any HD-DVDs yet; I have only the ones that came with the player.

I could have gotten a Blu-Ray player instead, but I was thinking that the lower prices and stronger sales of HD-DVD players (especially with the Wal-mart crowd) during the holiday season would push HD-DVD ahead. I guess I'll have to hold off on buying high def movies (read:Blu-Ray discs) until I pick up a PS3 later (probably next year), unless there are some good HD-DVD releases in the future.

the tears of hd-dvd tastes like Jagermeister.

i'm glad things are about to end with this damned format war.. and glad that i went blu-ray from the get go.

[quote name='TimPV3']HOW THE fuck IS THIS A SURPRISE?[/QUOTE]

Some people thought consumers would weather two movies formats, the same way we do with video games. I was not one of those people, but it wasn't an unreasonable guess.

[quote name='vera']the tears of hd-dvd tastes like Jagermeister.[/QUOTE]

Yech. If it's goin' down like that, I'd much prefer a Sambuca and water.

just out of my own curiousty, is there any chance for one of the blu ray supporters to go neutral? like Fox, Disney etc or are they under exclusivity contracts?

Just curious

I guess we have about as much choice as Violet .

violet_beauregarde.gif

Kill the wabbit indeed .

killthewabbit.jpg

[quote name='MrDubbs']just out of my own curiousty, is there any chance for one of the blu ray supporters to go neutral? like Fox, Disney etc or are they under exclusivity contracts?

Just curious[/quote]

Doubt it. Fox would hate their security and Disney has way too much invested in Blu-ray.

[quote name='MrDubbs']just out of my own curiousty, is there any chance for one of the blu ray supporters to go neutral? like Fox, Disney etc or are they under exclusivity contracts?

Just curious[/QUOTE]

Possible, but very bloody unlikely. I don't think any studios are under contract the way Paramount/Dreamworks are.

oh well, I'm glad I went neutral

I have about 32 HD's and 40 Blu-Ray's give or take a few on both.

Doesn't really bother me though if one offically wins, or one dies since it's not like they'll quit working. I also don't want to spend the time to sell all the HD stuff, for most likely a loss just to go to Blu Ray on the discs..

I guess the question I have is what happens to the web enabled features of movies from Warner, I believe like Harry Potter? do they just stop working? that's what will make me mad

The format war is not over just because Warner is going to the blu-ray side. There are plenty of independant movie studios that are supporting the HD-DVD format. Examples of this is amazon.com with their indie deal to make exclusive HD-DVD movies --> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287677,00.html

Also Wal-mart seems to support (to some extent) the HD-DVD format compared to the Blu-Ray format. If Wal-mart decides to sell more $99 HD-DVD players people will line up like bees to honey.

Calm down blu-ray fanboys, Warner does not rule the movie world.

If Universal drops HD-DVD and goes to Blu-ray then this thing will be over.

[quote name='oasisboy']

[/QUOTE]

they only control a huge part of the mainstream part of it

they are currently the biggest movie studio

universal has great catalog titles, but catalogs don't sell on HD, been shown over and over

[quote name='oasisboy']The format war is not over just because Warner is going to the blu-ray side. There are plenty of independant movie studios that are supporting the HD-DVD format. Examples of this is amazon.com with their indie deal to make exclusive HD-DVD movies --> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287677,00.html

Also Wal-mart seems to support (to some extent) the HD-DVD format compared to the Blu-Ray format. If Wal-mart decides to sell more $99 HD-DVD players people will line up like bees to honey.

If Universal drops HD-DVD and goes to Blu-ray then this thing will be over.[/quote]

Yeah, because you know, Warner only controls 20% of the movie market, and Blu-ray only has 70% of the market share. No reason to get excited.....

So I guess we will see less production of Hybrid HD/BR Players in the future huh? :( Seriously 2008 needs to be the year in which HDTV's need to be a hell of a lot cheaper. All this stuff is still too expensive to enjoy.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So I guess we will see less production of Hybrid HD/BR Players in the future huh? :( Seriously 2008 needs to be the year in which HDTV's need to be a hell of a lot cheaper. All this stuff is still too expensive to enjoy.[/quote]

Olevia sells a 42 inch HDTV for under a 1000 and they have a 37 inch for about 700 as well as Vizio. That's pretty cheap, and while it's hard for me to recommend them though, if you want a cheap option into HDTV they are there.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

Variety says New Line has confirmed BD exclusive support. Not groundbreaking in light of today's new, but confirmation is nice.[/quote]

Like it would have made a difference...they haven't released any titles on HD DVD since they went HighDef.

On another note, I guess I can go get "Shoot'em Up" on dvd since I wont be seeing it on HD DVD

So all this talk that had the blu boys confused a few weeks back about "closer to a stalemate" etc from Sony was just put out there to say "hello WB your losing sales by promoting both" it had not a damn thing to do with Sony getting worried.

The one thing that has me curious is why the 5 more months on a dead format what a waste. I would think that would do nothing but piss the uninformed off, and waste money. Plus what retailer is going to carry HD now.

I would like to think the story is not yet complete, but I think its just shock.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Like it would have made a difference...they haven't released any titles on HD DVD since they went HighDef.

On another note, I guess I can go get "Shoot'em Up" on dvd since I wont be seeing it on HD DVD[/QUOTE]

Save your money for your inevitable Blu-Ray player.

Even though I've been more heavily supporting my blu side since I got my PS3 I have to laugh at everyone who's reveling in this news like a pig in shit. Is Warner Brothers supporting the same format you do really going to make your life more complete? Is it gonna make you happier tomorrow morning when you wake up? I sure hope not.

[quote name='Snake2715']The one thing that has me curious is why the 5 more months on a dead format what a waste. I would think that would do nothing but piss the uninformed off, and waste money. Plus what retailer is going to carry HD now.[/quote]

My guess is that WB has a contract with HD DVD and they're waiting for it to expire.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Even though I've been more heavily supporting my blu side since I got my PS3 I have to laugh at everyone who's reveling in this news like a pig in shit. Is Warner Brothers supporting the same format you do really going to make your life more complete? Is it gonna make you happier tomorrow morning when you wake up? I sure hope not.[/quote]
If it makes the format I chose the format of choice for Hi-Def, then I'll be a happier person knowing I put money towards something that has a future.
I believe everyone hates wasting money.

I know what your saying though ;D

[quote name='Inf^Shini']If it makes the format I chose the format of choice for Hi-Def, then I'll be a happier person knowing I put money towards something that has a future.
I believe everyone hates wasting money.

I know what your saying though ;D[/QUOTE]

If you buy video games, movies, or basically any technology/electronics products you've already wasted your money. Plain and simple. Electronics are just one of those things that you have to go into knowing that you're gonna lose money. All they ever do is depreciate in value, there's very, very few examples of electronics related items that actually increase in value.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Olevia sells a 42 inch HDTV for under a 1000 and they have a 37 inch for about 700 as well as Vizio. That's pretty cheap, and while it's hard for me to recommend them though, if you want a cheap option into HDTV they are there.[/QUOTE]

Still too much for me. When it gets closer to it's CRT counter part price range then it will be good to buy.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Still too much for me. When it gets closer to it's CRT counter part price range then it will be good to buy.[/QUOTE]

40" CRT's were very expensive. You would be hard pressed to find one for $700-$1000 when they were still in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back