Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully some BBC HD DVD releases will still happen.

edit: I resent the fact I will have to get two BR players to cover the releases I want thanks to the bullshit that is region coding.

[quote name='rsigley']engadget is saying warner might of got money from blu ray association to go exclusive[/quote]
Of course they did. Anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. We KNOW there was a bidding war, and we know that Toshiba/Microsoft/HD DVD PRG/whoever offered at least $250 million. The total package that Sony and the BDA offered (money, incentives, and the prevailing market conditions) was more attractive than the one from the red side. It's as simple as that really.

This war has been dirty pool since the very beginning. Since before the beginning, actually. But you can't condemn Sony/BDA for bringing it to a close via the same methods that both sides have perpetuated every step of the way. Things are the way they are. Both sides were playing to win, and the red side folded when the blu side went all in.

[quote name='geko29']Of course they did. Anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. We KNOW there was a bidding war, and we know that Toshiba/Microsoft/HD DVD PRG/whoever offered at least $250 million. The total package that Sony and the BDA offered was more attractive than the one from the red side.

This war has been dirty pool since the very beginning. Since before the beginning, actually. But you can't condemn Sony/BDA for bringing it to a close via the same methods that both sides have perpetuated every step of the way. Things are the way they are. Both sides were playing to win, and the red side folded when the blu side went all in.[/QUOTE]

I wonder when Sony will realize they can only sell a decent amount of new releases at $20 and less for catalog.

[quote name='Snake2715']You know what Sony is going to get some serious ass PS3 momentum out of this.

Go with at least the 40gb PS3, anything less is a waste cost/value wise.

Speaking of that has anyone got a universal remote to work with the PS3? I would prefer not to buy their PS3 remote, but I may be forced to I dont know... off to do some research.[/QUOTE]
im gonna have to scope out some deals on it.

Weak...that hurts...I'll stay with HD DVD as long as it takes but if it dies, I might have to give up on HDM for a long while and just rent movies from XBOX Live Marketplace.

...Tis a sad day :cry:

[quote name='geko29']Of course they did. Anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. We KNOW there was a bidding war, and we know that Toshiba/Microsoft/HD DVD PRG/whoever offered at least $250 million. The total package that Sony and the BDA offered (money, incentives, and the prevailing market conditions) was more attractive than the one from the red side. It's as simple as that really.

This war has been dirty pool since the very beginning. Since before the beginning, actually. But you can't condemn Sony/BDA for bringing it to a close via the same methods that both sides have perpetuated every step of the way. Things are the way they are. Both sides were playing to win, and the red side folded when the blu side went all in.[/quote] I won't believe it even if it does make sense! ;)

Anyways, I just have to post this:

This was a triumph
I’m making a note here: huge success
It’s hard to overstate my satisfaction
Blu-ray Disc Association
We do what we must because we can
For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead
But there’s no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
And the science gets done and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive
I’m not even angry
I’m being so sincere right now
Even though you broke my heart and killed me
And tore me to pieces
And threw every piece into a fire
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you
Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And we’re out of beta, we’re releasing on time
So I’m glad I got burned, think of all the things we learned
Go ahead and leave me
I think I’d prefer to stay inside
Maybe you’ll find someone else to help you
Maybe Black Mesa
That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance
Anyway this cake is great
It’s so delicious and moist
Look at me still talking when there’s science to do
When I look out there it makes me glad I’m not you
I’ve experiments to run, there is research to be done
On the people who are still alive
And believe me I am still alive
I’m doing science and I’m still alive
I feel fantastic and I’m still alive
And while you’re dying I’ll be still alive
And when you’re dead I will be still alive
Still alive
Still alive

[quote name='Snake2715']You know what Sony is going to get some serious ass PS3 momentum out of this.

Go with at least the 40gb PS3, anything less is a waste cost/value wise.

Speaking of that has anyone got a universal remote to work with the PS3? I would prefer not to buy their PS3 remote, but I may be forced to I dont know... off to do some research.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 doesn't use IR, but Bluetooth, so you'd have to find a remote that uses Bluetooth as its means of communication. Can the PSP work as a BD remote via Remote Play?

WTF warner brothers. I am firmly in the HD DVD camp. BLU RAY can suck my left nut. And my right nut! fuck sony!

[quote name='msuna']WTF warner brothers. I am firmly in the HD DVD camp. BLU RAY can suck my left nut. And my right nut! fuck sony![/quote]You stink.

Now I'm really curious of what to expect for CES...Will HD DVD raise the white flag or do they have something up their sleeve that we don't know about to fight this?

Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros studio on Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp's Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp's rival HD DVD technology.

Warner Bros, Hollywood's biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20 percent of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry.

Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5 percent in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8 percent to $15.7 billion.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

News Corp's 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co, and Lionsgate are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom Inc's Paramount studios and General Electric's NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases. (Reporting by Kenneth Li in New York and Bob Tourtellotte and Peter Henderson in Los Angeles; Editing by Brian Moss)
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN0444635420080104

Well, I'm glad they have finally decided to go stop this neutral crap. I'm also glad they happen to back the format that I have already invested quite a bit of my money in. The announcement came quite a bit sooner than I expected, though.

Looks like we won't see the true effects until the end of May though, as they will continue to release HD-DVDs (alhtough it sounds like they may come out later than their BD/DVD counterparts).

[quote name='msuna']WTF warner brothers. I am firmly in the HD DVD camp. BLU RAY can suck my left nut. And my right nut! fuck sony![/quote]

amen...

wherez gizmo... we need some encouraging words...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Now I'm really curious of what to expect for CES...Will HD DVD raise the white flag or do they have something up their sleeve that we don't know about to fight this?[/QUOTE]
obviously its gonna be weinstein reaffirming their HD DVD exclusitivity

toshiba, universal, and paramount will all come out and rip off their hd dvd shirts to reveal blu ray shirts and say it was a set up all along to ruin microsoft

nWo theme music will play and the crowd will be left speechless because it makes no sense

just like what happened once a month on nitro

[quote name='anomynous']obviously its gonna be weinstein reaffirming their HD DVD exclusitivity[/QUOTE]

I know you might be joking but if we get the entire Dragon Dynasty with Lossless sound and quality video I WILL buy them.

I'm pretty sure we all saw this coming. Too many manufactures support Blu-ray for HD DVD to prevail.

Very good news. fuck MS for trying to ruin physical media formats.

[quote name='rsigley']toshiba, universal, and paramount will all come out and rip off their hd dvd shirts to reveal blu ray shirts and say it was a set up all along to ruin microsoft

nWo theme music will play and the crowd will be left speechless because it makes no sense

just like what happened once a month on nitro[/quote]

lmao

I support both, but it's interesting to note, out of my 19 HD-DVDs I currently own, 15 are from WB's... that's pretty staggering now that they have bowed out.

[quote name='rsigley']toshiba, universal, and paramount will all come out and rip off their hd dvd shirts to reveal blu ray shirts and say it was a set up all along to ruin microsoft

just like what happened once a month on nitro[/QUOTE]

:lol:

As long as David Arquette doesn't get involved.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I won't believe it even if it does make sense! ;)

Anyways, I just have to post this:

This was a triumph
I’m making a note here: huge success
It’s hard to overstate my satisfaction
Blu-ray Disc Association
We do what we must because we can
For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead
But there’s no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying till you run out of investors
And the science gets done and you make a neat format
I’m not even angry
I’m being so sincere right now
Even though you broke my heart and killed me
And tore me to pieces
And threw every piece into a fire
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you
Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And we’re out of profile 1.0, we’re releasing on time
So I’m glad I got burned, think of all the things we learned
Go ahead and leave me
I think I’d prefer to stay inside
Maybe you’ll find someone else to help you
Maybe HD-DVD Association
That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance
Anyway this studio support is great
It’s so delicious and moist
Look at me still talking when there’s science to do
When I look out there it makes me glad I’m not you
I’ve experiments to run, there is research to be done
On the people who are still alive
And believe me I am still alive
I’m doing science and I’m still alive
I feel fantastic and I’m still alive
Until 2160p, I'll be still alive
Still alive
Still alive[/quote]
MAJOR EDIT!

I can't wait for CES next week. This war has once again hit a new high. I agree with every one that this war sucks, we need just one format. However, I love the plot twists and turn arounds. It truly is like pro wrestling. HA HA.

lol this chicken little stuff is funny

I still stand completely firm about what I said a few months ago.

You can't discount them but out of all the companies releasing HDM Warner and Universal are the top two companies in terms of quantity of releases, and if either format lost Warner, it would be a massive (not death) blow.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3560628&highlight=warner#post3560628

-------------------

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Now I'm really curious of what to expect for CES...Will HD DVD raise the white flag or do they have something up their sleeve that we don't know about to fight this?[/QUOTE]

Until Universal bows out, there will be no white flag or anything. I think people forget just how many movies/blockbusters Paramount/Dreamworks has and they are locked in for at least 18 months.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']BTW, Anyone have any inkling how this effects New Line? Warners Bros is New Line "sister" company

And what CAN HD-DVD do?[/QUOTE]
it won't because they might as well have been Blu only.

Oh, wow. That was faster than I expected. HD-DVD really has no chance now does it?

The future is indeed Blu. :lol:

Well I'm glad a side sooner, rather than later. With combo players possibly coming around the corner, I was afraid the war would've never ended. Should be interesting to see what HD-DVD does at CES, though. Hopefully not a whole lot, because, I am glad that the war may finally be coming to an end.

I don't care that much since I am deeply supporting both and will continue to do so. I do think that HD-DVD has a better product and I do have a few more HD-DVDs compared to my Blu-Rays. What Universal has done with U-Control is pretty sweet. Smokin Aces, Bourne Ultimatum and The Kingdom have U-Control "stuff" that far exceeds anything on Blu-Ray.

Ahh well, looks like I will be grabbing The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray.

Fortunately I picked up a cheap PS3 and became format neutral. It's kind of odd though how Warner tended to favor HD with some timed exclusives (Batman, Matrix), plus screwing up many different BD titles recently. I have to wonder just how much of a role the Blu-favoring sister company New Line had to do with this. Of course, people can point to the disc sales numbers, and I guess that does mean something.

Ideally, I favor red because they had their technology package together since day one. Both of them are upgradable, though, so now blue is catching up, plus they have capacity on their side. Of course Blu's non-finalized specs sure screwed early adopters, just like how HD early adopters may get screwed with potentially upcoming higher capacity discs.

[quote name='dpatel']Well I'm glad a side sooner, rather than later. With combo players possibly coming around the corner, I was afraid the war would've never ended. Should be interesting to see what HD-DVD does at CES, though. Hopefully not a whole lot, because, I am glad that the war may finally be coming to an end.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think it would be funny if Blu got all the world but China. I mean getting that market alone would cause it stay around regardless. Maybe they wouldn't still release here but it wouldn't die by any means.
D are you EVER going to get a 360?! I need more people on my friends list who like JAPANESE developed games and don't obssessively drool over FPS's, especially Halo. I mean I'm excited about "Culdcept Saga" coming because then I can put some more Japanese on my friends lists who are more likely to like the games I do.

[quote name='Sarang01']Personally I think it would be funny if Blu got all the world but China. I mean getting that market alone would cause it stay around regardless. Maybe they wouldn't still release here but it wouldn't die by any means.
D are you EVER going to get a 360?! I need more people on my friends list who like JAPANESE developed games and don't obssessively drool over FPS's, especially Halo. I mean I'm excited about "Culdcept Saga" coming because then I can put some more Japanese on my friends lists who are more likely to like the games I do.[/QUOTE]

Eh, probably not anytime soon. Wish I had the time and money to invest in more than one console. Really bummed about missing out on Culdcept Saga though. Are they ever gonna release that in the US? I know it's been out in Japan for months now.

This is the end of HD DVD.

The main reason HD DVD was in competition is because of Warner.

I supported HD DVD until now. I guess I'll follow Warner to BLUE RAY.

It has to end I'm tired of the format war.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Weak...that hurts...I'll stay with HD DVD as long as it takes but if it dies, I might have to give up on HDM for a long while and just rent movies from XBOX Live Marketplace.

...Tis a sad day :cry:[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck... I really can't believe this. If only Microsoft got off their lazy asses and just put an HD-DVD drive into the 360, it would have helped us out a lot. Now that Warner has taken the Blue ray side, that only leaves a hand full of studios holding out...but it doesn't matter anymore. :( I was so looking forward to Star Trek on HD-DVD format, but I am pretty sure that Paramount is going over to Blue Ray so they don't look left out. This also means I will probably be buying a PS3 this year just for a decent blue ray player. And I just bought the add on drive for the 360 nearly 3 months ago (and within a month I will have 5 more HD-DVD's from that offer :( ) bah.

just like what happened once a month on nitro[/quote]
:rofl:

BWo_in_ECW.jpg

[quote name='ITDEFX']Holy fuck... I really can't believe this. If only Microsoft got off their lazy asses and just put an HD-DVD drive into the 360, it would have helped us out a lot. Now that Warner has taken the Blue ray side, that only leaves a hand full of studios holding out...but it doesn't matter anymore. :( I was so looking forward to Star Trek on HD-DVD format, but I am pretty sure that Paramount is going over to Blue Ray so they don't look left out. This also means I will probably be buying a PS3 this year just for a decent blue ray player. And I just bought the add on drive for the 360 nearly 3 months ago (and within a month I will have 5 more HD-DVD's from that offer :( ) bah.[/QUOTE]

They have a contract and can't leave until it's up (which is some time in 12 months)

Whew....glad this war is coming to an end.....

Now we can finally see WB utilize the potential of the Blu-ray discs

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Maybe this means we will finally get Star Wars on Blu-ray. :drool:[/QUOTE]

20th century fox has distribution rights but needs the ok from Lucasfilm/Lucas and if I remember correctly they wanted to make sure that blue ray had the proper encryption/protection before they released it in that medium. Bullshit I say.

I am very surprised they did give it to us last year for the 30th anniversary. That would have tipped this war into blue rays favor so big that they would have won by a land slide.

[quote name='ITDEFX']20th century fox has distribution rights but needs the ok from Lucasfilm/Lucas and if I remember correctly they wanted to make sure that blue ray had the proper encryption/protection before they released it in that medium. Bullshit I say.

I am very surprised they did give it to us last year for the 30th anniversary. That would have tipped this war into blue rays favor so big that they would have won by a land slide.[/quote]

IIRC I thought it was because Lucas said he didn't want it out until the war was decided?

I still love my HD player and will get new movies through May (and possibly some really good "close out" deals as the format dies.

Besides that, it has worked as an amazing upconverter. I don't think I'm going to swap to Blu though. I think I'm going to look into this new Netflix direct to TV thing and start renting my movies more than buying them. Regular DVD is going to be around for quite a while I think!

I think I am going to hit up the BB deal before they sell out of the good HD's. I still really want HP 3 & 4 and the Matrix Trilogy!

I am sad that both formats will no longer be competing though (and therefore BOGO will be scarce).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back