Free 1-month of Xbox Live Gold. It works for some existing Gold members as well.

This explains why I was offered 30 days when I setup my XBox one on Saturday.

Just know you can't buy the 360 GWG without a credit card on file. Nor can you redeem any prepaid cards you might have if you remove your credit card.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq
I know what it says there, but I've only ever had a PayPal account on file and even that was fairly recent. I've been a Gold member almost 12 years using prepaid cards and have always been able to download every GWG.

I know what it says there, but I've only ever had a PayPal account on file and even that was fairly recent. I've been a Gold member almost 12 years using prepaid cards and have always been able to download every GWG.
I guess PayPal is like a credit card for their rules.

I had to add my credit card back today to download Borderlands. But was able to download the GWG XBox One game without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't work for me.  Was hoping for a free month after they took 3 gamertags away from me in the span of a week and cost me $30.  fuck you, MS and Xbox Enforcement.  You're not my real father.

Thanks anyway, OP. 

Didn't work for me. Was hoping for a free month after they took 3 gamertags away from me in the span of a week and cost me $30. fuck you, MS and Xbox Enforcement. You're not my real father.

Thanks anyway, OP.
Lol... please share what you gamertags were

Lol... please share what you gamertags were
I was "Glory Hole Taco". I'm a parent and I suck at games, so when I helped a team lose in Garden Warfare 2 and some schumck started telling me "I fuckED YOU GOOD, GLORY HOLE TACO," ​I replied, "You fuck grown men who just want to give you a taco through a strange hole?" He erupted with a string of barely audible obscenities because he was yelling into the mic so loudly. He organized his friends to all report my name, then he sent me a message saying, "See.... I really did fuck you."

I gave all that information to Xbox Enforcement when I pled my case, but I also paid to change my name to "HOT Carl Sagan" during the appeal process. They sent me a message saying both names would be denied and I should stop blatantly violating their policies. So I spent some more money and changed my name to "WetButSecs". That lasted overnight before they revoked it and sent another message saying one more violation could result in a ban. I gave up and spent another $10 to change it to "A Filthy Idiom" because that's who I am and that's what I care about.

Thanks for letting me be me, Xbox Enforcement.

I was "Glory Hole Taco". I'm a parent and I suck at games, so when I helped a team lose in Garden Warfare 2 and some schumck started telling me "I fuckED YOU GOOD, GLORY HOLE TACO," ​I replied, "You fuck grown men who just want to give you a taco through a strange hole?" He erupted with a string of barely audible obscenities because he was yelling into the mic so loudly. He organized his friends to all report my name, then he sent me a message saying, "See.... I really did fuck you."

I gave all that information to Xbox Enforcement when I pled my case, but I also paid to change my name to "HOT Carl Sagan" during the appeal process. They sent me a message saying both names would be denied and I should stop blatantly violating their policies. So I spent some more money and changed my name to "WetButSecs". That lasted overnight before they revoked it and sent another message saying one more violation could result in a ban. I gave up and spent another $10 to change it to "A Filthy Idiom" because that's who I am and that's what I care about.

I don't really care what you gamertags are, but you seem to be complaining that you wasted money on name changes you knew were going to get you in trouble. I can't find any sympathy there, because that's self-inflicted damage.

That said, I find it odd that they take away a GT because they find it offensive, then tell you to pay to change it.

I don't really care what you gamertags are, but you seem to be complaining that you wasted money on name changes you knew were going to get you in trouble. I can't find any sympathy there, because that's self-inflicted damage.

That said, I find it odd that they take away a GT because they find it offensive, then tell you to pay to change it.
I'm complaining for fun, because it allows me to tell a story, and because I don't agree with the piece of the system that you identified and find odd in your last statement.

It's a poor community driven censorship system that allows an "offended" user to force a name change. MS will tell you that they changed your name "for free" when enough users complained and the system assigns a randomly generated mess like SpurlyJake3455. If you don't like that free name change, you can elect to pay $10 and generate your own.... within the limits of their vaguely defined policies of course.

That's the problem with drawing lines. They get blurry. I've run into LIVE users named "JewInTheOven", "HomoSecs", etc etc etc. As long as no one reports you and you don't raise your profile, they won't play wack-a-mole with your gamertag.

Lmfao!!!

That sucks, back in the day it was free. When they would force you to change it, they would let you change it to whatever you want instead of giving you a random generated one. Back in like 2008/2009/2010?, I can't remember lol, I had a gamertag called CRuSTYFiNGaBuTT. They made me change it before I could sign in and it was free.

Also like if you didn't want to pay 800 points to change your GT, all you had to do was get a friend to report your GT like 50 times and in a couple days they would make you change it, so free GT change. Me and my bud did it once or twice to change our GT for free.

That sucks, back in the day it was free. When they would force you to change it, they would let you change it to whatever you want instead of giving you a random generated one. Back in like 2008/2009/2010?, I can't remember lol, I had a gamertag called CRuSTYFiNGaBuTT. They made me change it before I could sign in and it was free.

Also like if you didn't want to pay 800 points to change your GT, all you had to do was get a friend to report your GT like 50 times and in a couple days they would make you change it, so free GT change. Me and my bud did it once or twice to change our GT for free.
That would be the reason why it's not free anymore.

I remember changing a letter casing in your gamertag could get you unbanned from whatever thing you were banned from. Say I was hyperg, just changed it to Hyperg.

Deal might be dead, but more people need to read this story. I debated some Celebrity Jeopardy-worthy names myself but I definitely don't have the conviction you do. Hats off, my good man.

Showed up for me last night but I didn't complete the steps. Still showed up for me now. Thanks OP!

Be forewarned: If you use a free trial such as from this link, microsoft WILL permaban your XBL account. My account was banned until 2099 after having it for ten years for exactly this reason.

You sure there was nothing else to that?
100%. This was during the whole region/country change free game scandal. I wasn't involved in any of it. The absolute only thing I did was use the 30 day free trial just like the link in this thread. The old free trial allowed you 30 days free only if you were XBL silver. My case was actually escalated to the office of the CEO and I worked with MS directly on it.

100%. This was during the whole region/country change free game scandal. I wasn't involved in any of it. The absolute only thing I did was use the 30 day free trial just like the link in this thread. The old free trial allowed you 30 days free only if you were XBL silver. My case was actually escalated to the office of the CEO and I worked with MS directly on it.
Shit man you've got me paranoid now. I think I'm gonna cancel my subscription right now and just use up my 12 month card to not risk it.

That's nuts. They never gave the account back to you? Now I wish I would've never done this lol.

I wouldn't worry too much guys,

From what I remember, you were the only person to report being banned for this a couple years ago, and a ton of people used the link. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Not to mention I stumbled on this page http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/trial-gold-membership

Which outlines the free 1 month gold trial guidelines.

Of particular note are these instructions.

To see if you are eligible for a one-month free trial:

1. Sign in to the Subscriptions page.
  2. If you’re eligible for a free trial, you’ll see Gold – 1 Month FREE Trial as a subscription offering. SelectGold – 1 Month FREE Trial, and then click Next.
  3. If prompted, add a payment option to your account. If you already have a payment option on file, you can use that.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete the signup process.
So we should not be at fault for this as it's outlined on xbox.com that you should click the same link to check if you are eligible.

Shit man you've got me paranoid now. I think I'm gonna cancel my subscription right now and just use up my 12 month card to not risk it.
I wouldn't risk it.

That's nuts. They never gave the account back to you? Now I wish I would've never done this lol.
I fought for weeks, spoke with multiple people over that time. In the end they refused to budge. 10 years from original Xbox to the 360, countless digital downloads and a high gamerscore, plus around $20 in XBL money sitting in my account. Gone.

I wouldn't worry too much guys,

From what I remember, you were the only person to report being banned for this a couple years ago, and a ton of people used the link. So I wouldn't worry too much.
By all means, I'm just telling my story of what happened to me. I know without a shadow of a doubt I did nothing improper with my XBL account. The absolute only thing I ever did was use the link for the 30 day trial instead of redeeming my XBL cards. Hell I still have two 3 month and 1 one year card sitting in a drawer unused. I went back and forth with them regarding this and even stated if they had a problem with me getting XBL free using a link right on microsoft.com then take it out of my XBL money or let me just redeem a card and take the time away from it. They claimed what I did was a 'markletplace violation' and would not budge. And after all of that, they had the audacity to tell me that I'm not console banned, just my XBL name, so I could, and I quote "just create a new xbox live account as we welcome you as a customer". Yet refused to transfer my purchases, money, nor gamerscore. I haven't purchased a single microsoft product since.

Guess I missed out, or am not eligible. Anyone selling or have other deals where I can get it cheap? Just upgraded to Xbox One and it's time to get back in to video gaming.

I wouldn't worry about a ban. If you go on your Xbox console and try to subscribe to Live from there, the month for $0 is clearly there, so unless they're going to start banning people who legitimately tried to subscribe to XBL, it shouldn't be an issue. If you're really paranoid, just do it from your Xbox and not the website link.

xbox is running a $1 for your 1st month promo, which then activates a monthly renewal subscription at $9.99...which you can cancel.

so I just bought the $1, aka cashed in on the promo. If you try to buy it again, it says the code has been used.

$1 for 1 month? Yessir...thank you OP.

bread's done
Back