(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Please don't abuse the ECA codes by doubling them like that, even if you can -- that's the sort of thing that could easily cause Amazon to stop allowing stacking and/or cut off the ECA codes if they notice it happening.[/QUOTE]

Per the ECA forum response a couple posts up, there were a limited number of "reserve" codes provided by Amazon as a stopgap before the next regular allocation of codes becomes available. Apparently this new batch is a bit different than what ECA usually gets and are stackable. Since it's just a comparatively small quantity provided under special circumstances, I don't think it will be much, if any, issue. If anything, next time a reserve batch is needed, Amazon will go with non-stackable ones.

Either way, I hope they find a solution to the unique multi-use codes problem soon as I'm getting weary of all this controversy.

[quote name='rogXue']thanks Tech. Was considering a PSPgo if I could get 10% off. Still a lil too expensive for my blood though.[/QUOTE]

No joke. That thing is almost as much as the PS3. I would pay 149 for it but that's about it.

Finally got Uncharted 2 pre-order in my Gold Box today for $54.14. After ECA it will be $48.72.

Is that a good price, should I bite on that? Or do you think I'll be able to get it cheaper?

Can anyone PM me an Amazon code? I have a (paid) ECA membership but the codes are apparently temporarily down right now, and a game I want showed up in my gold box. :(

[quote name='zohar']Can anyone PM me an Amazon code? I have a (paid) ECA membership but the codes are apparently temporarily down right now, and a game I want showed up in my gold box. :([/QUOTE]

Check your mailbox. :)

This is annoying. I finally get some good games in my Gold Box and sure enough, the 10% off codes are gone. After one fucking day...

[quote name='jacknicklson']I took some extra before they went down if any paid members want some. I think I have three, maybe 2[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer, but maybe this is telling me I shouldn't buy Phantasy Star 0 until Amazon at least puts it at a slight discount (still $34.99 before Gold Box/ECA).

[quote name='jacknicklson']I took some extra before they went down if any paid members want some. I think I have three, maybe 2[/QUOTE]

Same here... I have 3 I can hand out for some CAG's. I'll do it via PM, Don't come begging in here for them.

Do you have any left? I have a game I want showed up in GB as well. On a side note, they really needs to resolve this, as this is happen far too often and the main reason many of us sign up for this is for the 10% codes.

[quote name='Josef']Thanks for the offer, but maybe this is telling me I shouldn't buy Phantasy Star 0 until Amazon at least puts it at a slight discount (still $34.99 before Gold Box/ECA).[/QUOTE]

Might as well get it now so you dont miss a price drop and then just cancel if they don't discount it by release

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Finally got Uncharted 2 pre-order in my Gold Box today for $54.14. After ECA it will be $48.72.

Is that a good price, should I bite on that? Or do you think I'll be able to get it cheaper?[/QUOTE]

i'm in the exact situation, no code. but I have to pay tax, because i'm in NY.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Same here... I have 3 I can hand out for some CAG's. I'll do it via PM, Don't come begging in here for them.[/QUOTE]

All gone. BLNT

Thanks to blk00civicsi, pre-ordered Arc Rise Fantasia for 39.9x. Anyone know if you pre-order now, and later on they have some promotion (giving out artbook or something) will you get it as well or do you have to cancel and re-pre-order again to get in the promotion?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Finally got Uncharted 2 pre-order in my Gold Box today for $54.14. After ECA it will be $48.72.

Is that a good price, should I bite on that? Or do you think I'll be able to get it cheaper?[/QUOTE]

I got the same deal but I have to pay tax cause im in NY

I would say pre-order if you really want the game and want to play it now and if you find a better deal before its release then cancel the amazon order

last guardian showed up in my gold box so i jumped on it with eca and $30 off. now i have uncharted 2 in my gold box, but no eca. not sure if i want it that bad anyway. with demon's souls coming out next month and mw2 the month after. i think ill be good for awhile.

i think i have 2 extra eca codes if anyone wants it. pm me. they were intended for demon's souls and mw2, but i guess it was a one time use this time around.

I ended up getting Uncharted 2 for a bit cheaper actually....$48.44.

Odd thing is, I noticed Infamous was also in my GB after I had placed my order for U2.

I had a spare code and decided to order Infamous as well for that GB price....but when I put in the ECA code I received this message:

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."

Is there a limit of one code per day per person use?

[quote name='butaneko']Man this shit is lame! Apparently they started giving out free memberships which resulted in all their codes running out? Great way to reward the paying members.
I have no interest in the work the ECA does and I'm sure 99% of their other members feel the same way. Give me the codes you promised me.[/QUOTE]

Blame all the people that took extra codes when they didn't need them right away. Of course this just means as soon as the codes are back up even more people will be hoarding.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Blame all the people that took extra codes when they didn't need them right away. Of course this just means as soon as the codes are back up even more people will be hoarding.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed a couple extra because of hoarders sure...but I only grab 2 extra in case something showed up in my GB unexpectedly and in case someone here needed an extra code who is a member but couldn't get one.

And true to my word...I ended up helping a fellow CAG member who was an ECA member that couldn't get a code. I also ended up getting Uncharted 2 because it showed up in my GB today. I have one code left...and I noticed Infamous also in my GB....but for some reason I can't use the code. It says:

I wonder if that generator randomly generates codes and this code I have was already used.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Blame all the people that took extra codes when they didn't need them right away. Of course this just means as soon as the codes are back up even more people will be hoarding.[/QUOTE]
The real blame lies with ECA, as they have not been able to produce multi-use codes yet. Amazon may be holding up the process, but that's really not our problem. Ultimately it comes down to how well a system works and the one they're providing is flawed.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I grabbed a couple extra because of hoarders sure...but I only grab 2 extra in case something showed up in my GB unexpectedly and in case someone here needed an extra code who is a member but couldn't get one.

And true to my word...I ended up helping a fellow CAG member who was an ECA member that couldn't get a code. I also ended up getting Uncharted 2 because it showed up in my GB today. I have one code left...and I noticed Infamous also in my GB....but for some reason I can't use the code. It says:

I wonder if that generator randomly generates codes and this code I have was already used.[/QUOTE]

You need to create a new Amazon account. It seems that the only one code works once per Amazon account. You can't use another code on the same account. I created a new amazon account and it worked on it. The code can be used for a multiple game order. Does anyone know if I used Amazon Prime Free trial on one account if I can use it on another one? Do they track it by credit card or address at all? If not I will definitely sign up for a new amazon prime trial so I can get the games in two days instead of a week after release. Sucks that the Gold Box trick doesn't work for me anymore. Well 10% is better than 5%. Ofcourse 15% is better than 10%. LOL.

GAH. Codes are out? I have a paid membership and didn't freak out when they ran out a few days ago... but this is a bit disquieting.

[quote name='Jodou']The real blame lies with ECA, as they have not been able to produce multi-use codes yet. Amazon may be holding up the process, but that's really not our problem. Ultimately it comes down to how well a system works and the one they're providing is flawed.[/QUOTE]
Replace ECA with Amazon and I'm behind you 100%.

Someone else said it somewhere, but we're about to enter a civil war until they give Amazon-account-linked-codes.

From now on paid members are going to try to hoard more than the free members so they can be sure they get what they paid for. When Amazon codes run out, the paid members will ally as we have already seen. They'll require proof of purchase from each other, but once shown, they're free to enter the speak-easy of hoarded codes to have their fill of them.

In response the free members will try to hoard codes for themselves - but first they have to figure out how to navigate the ECA website. After all, the free members are just mad they wasted $15-20 on something that was given out to free to over 3.5 million people in a shameless ploy to inflate the number of ECA members.

This will begin a circle of hoarding, and eventually violence. Civil unrest will reach its breaking point and the line in the sand will be drawn. CAGers will be forced to picked a side - free or paid? And they will wear their badges with pride.

The forums will become segregated on the basis of free or paid while CAGers everywhere wait for the One Who Will Unite Us and put an end to this strife by assigning individual unique codes for Amazon accounts and by giving paid members 1 year of free membership.

Only then will peace be restored upon CheapAssGamer.

so my spare codes aint working. Finally got GOW collection in goldbox but cant use any of them. I get

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

Codes are dead again?

there is no blame in amazon, they don't even have to support this thing but they are, sure it might get them more business but they have no obligation at all. The real problem lies with them giving this thing out for free when i paid my 15$ to join, currently gotten 8 off so this isn't good for me yet.

[quote name='darknight88']so my spare codes aint working. Finally got GOW collection in goldbox but cant use any of them. I get

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

Codes are dead again?[/QUOTE]

wait what really? fuck :bomb: and I'm hoping to have Demon's Soul appear in my gold box soon

anybody try to call them? hopefully they fix this real soon cause im going to have 45 in credits for my next video game purchase after odst comes out, thats pretty much any game for free with the eca discount.

edit-i mean call amazon and try using the code.

I don't see why amazon doesn't jump on this sooner, before the eca discounts I rarely bought my games from amazon but now I get almost all my games from them. I'm sure amazon game purchases have risen quite a bit since eca.

I've noticed that some of you mention that you were able to hoard codes. Was it possible to generate a code and use it later? I tried doing that awhile ago and always got a message that the code was already used. So I thought you had to use the code as soon as it was generated.

[quote name='buckythekat']wait what really? fuck :bomb: and I'm hoping to have Demon's Soul appear in my gold box soon[/QUOTE]

yes and the codes are unused so I dont know why they wont work. 2 days ago they were working fine.

[quote name='darknight88']yes and the codes are unused so I dont know why they wont work. 2 days ago they were working fine.[/QUOTE]

imo, the codes got all used up so they distributed any of the unused codes even if they were given to someone already.

so i horded 2 codes when they came back up...

1 for MHF:U for my psp (which i ordered ASAP)

and another for HALO:ODST which i didnt place an order for until just now. i cannot use my second code. this really sucks. yes, i am one of the many who got this membership free but i would gladly pay to keep it going. infact, i plan on renewing my subscription as long as they keep this amazon thing going. i believe having it linked to your AMZ acount would be a god send. even if we are only subject to one code per day. i really hope something like this happens.

man, I'm pissed . . . I just PAID FULL PRICE for a membership to ECA just for the 10% amazon codes, and now I find out that a bunch of a-holes got free memberships and used all of the codes? WTF?????

It sounded great to me- a very reasonable setup. Annual membership to a community that advocates for gamers like myself and some nice perks to boot. Now it turns out that the only perk I'm going to use is either never coming back or is going to be severely crippled. $20 completely wasted.

Gah. My Gold Box is suddenly full of video game titles after being mostly random crap for weeks -- Uncharted 2, R&C: A Crack In Time, God of War III, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Heavy Rain, Last Guardian -- and the codes still aren't working! Dammit! :bomb:

On that note, I had saved two extra codes from when they were back up again for just such an occasion (sorry if you think that two extra codes is "hoarding"), but since they won't work for me anyway due to the "one code per account" issue on this current set . . . If any paid ECA members didn't get a code from this last round and want one, PM me -- first two people get them. Remember, if you've already used one from this recent batch, they won't work for you!

Edit: That was quick -- codes are gone, sorry!

[quote name='moonphrogg'] It sounded great to me- a very reasonable setup. Annual membership to a community that advocates for gamers like myself and some nice perks to boot. Now it turns out that the only perk I'm going to use is either never coming back or is going to be severely crippled. $20 completely wasted.[/QUOTE]

Other than the codes getting used fast, it doesn't seem like eca will be losing the amazon discount, so it shouldn't change. And once we get a unique code per account, things will only get better...

In lighter news, if you ever go to the theatre, check out their fandango deal and see if you have a visa that is a "signature" card. My amazon one is so apparently it's not as rare(or hard to come by) as I thought it would be, and that's buy 1 get 1 on movie tickets.

[quote name='moonphrogg']man, I'm pissed . . . I just PAID FULL PRICE for a membership to ECA just for the 10% amazon codes, and now I find out that a bunch of a-holes got free memberships and used all of the codes? WTF?????

It sounded great to me- a very reasonable setup. Annual membership to a community that advocates for gamers like myself and some nice perks to boot. Now it turns out that the only perk I'm going to use is either never coming back or is going to be severely crippled. $20 completely wasted.[/QUOTE]

How is your money wasted? You're still going to get the discount. You're still going to save more than the amount you spent to get the membership. Calm down, the month is not over. At some point I'm sure the ECA will revamp the redemption process. There's no point in bitching because all the codes hoarded this time around were one-time use per account. Nobody knew this until they started redeeming them. So you should be thanking the jackasses who dried up the well of shit codes. Leaving the area clear for you to grab the "fixed" ones when they're active again.

To All upset paying members:

If you have a problem with the "Free" memberships take it to the ECA forums and act like the baby there. We don't need the crybaby attitude here.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']How is your money wasted? You're still going to get the discount. You're still going to save more than the amount you spent to get the membership. Calm down, the month is not over. At some point I'm sure the ECA will revamp the redemption process. There's no point in bitching because all the codes hoarded this time around were one-time use per account. Nobody knew this until they started redeeming them. So you should be thanking the jackasses who dried up the well of shit codes. Leaving the area clear for you to grab the "fixed" ones when they're active again.

If you have a problem with the "Free" memberships take it to the ECA forums and act like the baby there. We don't need the crybaby attitude here.[/QUOTE]

Funny. . .the ECA forums told us to come bitch over here. I consider my money wasted until I get the discount codes I signed up for. I'm sorry- that's the cut and dry version for me. I have no precedent to go on, so I have no idea whether these codes are gone for good or not, or in what form they may return.

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who's been a member a little longer and can reassure someone who's been a member for half an hour that his money is indeed not wasted.

I came to CAG because this forum is more active.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']How is your money wasted? You're still going to get the discount. You're still going to save more than the amount you spent to get the membership. Calm down, the month is not over. At some point I'm sure the ECA will revamp the redemption process. There's no point in bitching because all the codes hoarded this time around were one-time use per account. Nobody knew this until they started redeeming them. So you should be thanking the jackasses who dried up the well of shit codes. Leaving the area clear for you to grab the "fixed" ones when they're active again.

If you have a problem with the "Free" memberships take it to the ECA forums and act like the baby there. We don't need the crybaby attitude here.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the issue is with free membership itself - rather the issue is with the mass quantity of free memberships given out - potentially to the 3.5 million readers of Game Informer, which then was leaked to millions more on the internet because it was a non-unique generic code.

I'm not saying 5 million people registered, but clearly hundreds if not thousands of non-Game Informer subscribers/purchasers have signed up - not to mention 1 year free is a HUGE benefit. I doubt as many people would be complaining if it was a $5 or $10 off coupon, or a free month trial or something for Game Informer subscribers.

[quote name='moonphrogg']man, I'm pissed . . . I just PAID FULL PRICE for a membership to ECA just for the 10% amazon codes, and now I find out that a bunch of a-holes got free memberships and used all of the codes? WTF?????

It sounded great to me- a very reasonable setup. Annual membership to a community that advocates for gamers like myself and some nice perks to boot. Now it turns out that the only perk I'm going to use is either never coming back or is going to be severely crippled. $20 completely wasted.[/QUOTE]

There are very few services that don't offer free trials.. deal with it..

[quote name='kodave']I don't think the issue is with free membership itself - rather the issue is with the mass quantity of free memberships given out - potentially to the 3.5 million readers of Game Informer, which then was leaked to millions more on the internet because it was a non-unique generic code.

I'm not saying 5 million people registered, but clearly hundreds if not thousands of non-Game Informer subscribers/purchasers have signed up - not to mention 1 year free is a HUGE benefit. I doubt as many people would be complaining if it was a $5 or $10 off coupon, or a free month trial or something for Game Informer subscribers.[/QUOTE]

A free year is probably a good idea. If it was 2 weeks or a month, a lot of people would look at the current situation and say, "forget it". Ultimately, this will be good for the ECA. It exposes a problem very publicly that they can now fix to improve their services. It also brings in new members who might renew in a year, assuming they do improve their service..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back