(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']I didn't say Hoarding... I said stacking. Does the ECA website say 20% off games or 10%? Does it say use multiple codes per game? No, it says:

Or maybe it says to cancel your old orders, find a loophole, and reuse your codes along with new codes... of course that is what they wanted.[/QUOTE]

Whoops! Sorry for misreading that. Yeah, that is a similar level of misbehavior then.

[quote name='J7.']I didn't say Hoarding... I said stacking. Does the ECA website say 20% off games or 10%? Does it say use multiple codes per game? No, it says:

"get 10% off your games purchases at Amazon.com." "The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart."

Or maybe it says to cancel your old orders, find a loophole, and reuse your codes along with new codes... of course that is what they wanted.[/QUOTE]
And for those that are stuck with stacking codes applied and can't remove it?

Point is, Amazon allowed the problem by generating codes that stack. The fact that they've taken no action tells me that it's not a violation of any rules. There's plenty of options the ECA or Amazon could have executed by now, especially since people have reported it, yet they've done nothing. Until they publicly address the issue, I don't see a problem.

since this thread is talking about coupons i thought i ask here. I had a 50% off coupon from the trade ins this summer and preordered tekken with fighting stick for ps3. But now i decided i want to try the new tony hawk game for cheap.If i cancel my order will i still have the coupon and my credit?

[quote name='Jodou']There's plenty of options the ECA or Amazon could have executed by now, especially since people have reported it, yet they've done nothing. Until they publicly address the issue, I don't see a problem.[/QUOTE]
Amazon, at the lower operational levels (which this all falls under), are manned by warm bodies just like you and me. More likely than not, this hasn't filtered through their bureaucracy yet since code stacking is a recent phenomenon. There is no omnipresent big brother that keeps an eye on everything at the company. It will probably take an end-of-month fluctuation analysis performed by some random financial analysis department on segment profitability before some higher up director level figure gets a wind of it and finally does something. Your rationale is therefore quite asinine.

Truly Jodou is asinine, but it seems better to insult him when he's begging for attention rather than when he acts more like a decent human being, even if his statement may have been wrong.

(Hee hee, I got to insult him anyway.)

[quote name='Jodou']And for those that are stuck with stacking codes applied and can't remove it?

Point is, Amazon allowed the problem by generating codes that stack. The fact that they've taken no action tells me that it's not a violation of any rules. There's plenty of options the ECA or Amazon could have executed by now, especially since people have reported it, yet they've done nothing. Until they publicly address the issue, I don't see a problem.[/QUOTE]

You know, a lot of those rationales work for selling codes, too. eBay allows you to sell codes, despite the fact that it's a violation of their rules. Amazon allows you to stack codes, despite the fact that ECA asked you not to.

Either way, the ECA rules for the coupon do explicitly state that you shouldn't be stacking.

And no, I don't think anybody's reported that the coupon codes stack to Amazon or ECA. I doubt the "good Samaritan" acts extend that far.

[quote name='Stele']Amazon, at the lower operational levels (which this all falls under), are manned by warm bodies just like you and me. More likely than not, this hasn't filtered through their bureaucracy yet since code stacking is a recent phenomenon. There is no omnipresent big brother that keeps an eye on everything at the company. It will probably take an end-of-month fluctuation analysis performed by some random financial analysis department on segment profitability before some higher up director level figure gets a wind of it and finally does something. Your rationale is therefore quite asinine.[/QUOTE]

Or, they don't know yet.

Anyone with an ECA membership want to report this one? We've got other posters saying they got thank yous for reporting eBay auctions, and this seems like just as much of an abuse to me.

You know, a lot of those rationales work for selling codes, too. eBay allows you to sell codes, despite the fact that it's a violation of their rules. Amazon allows you to stack codes, despite the fact that ECA asked you not to.

Either way, the ECA rules for the coupon do explicitly state that you shouldn't be stacking.

And no, I don't think anybody's reported that the coupon codes stack to Amazon or ECA. I doubt the "good Samaritan" acts extend that far.

Not saying right or wrong either way, but I don't think you exactly understand what you're talking about. ECA says nothing about stacking, because for all the coupons thus far until JUST the past week, they never have. The 1 code per cart per game thing has nothing to do with stacking, it's how they used to work, until they started working for multiple items. You couldn't just put any 2 codes into the cart and have them stack, ever, until now, and that's only if you have an older code and generate a new one to go with it. I can imagine the reactions of people on both sides when they realize this, but it has never been addressed before by the ECA and none of the wording you've pulled up has anything to do with the subject.

That's pretty much exactly what I said. And to the post right above mine, I don't think you have to be a nuclear physicist to understand neither ECA/Amazon wanted stacking to happen.

For everyone who seems to think that the ECA operates in a vacuum and knows nothing-- I know, for a fact, that reps from the ECA and Amazon are watching this thread. Now believe me or don't, and they may not see every single post, but they are reading. They do know about the code stacking, I don't know what the resolution may or may not be, although I doubt it's as huge of a problem as everyone seems to think because there was only a fairly small window you could get the stackable codes, and you could only use them once anyway. Probably 99% of people who had access to stackable codes used them up before the new codes went live (or don't even realise stacking works)

I love all the back seat accountants who seem to think that they know everything, and the people who actually are involved know nothing.

Well, in that case, maybe you can suggest to Amazon to can the people on their payroll whose jobs are to read internet messageboards and just invest more in internal controls and nip the problem in the butt before it even happens.

And I'm done following this thread. The banter has gotten ridiculous. I'll check back on 10/1 to hear the people complaining about the codes expiring.

The best way to knock these people out is to BUY the coupon and report NEGATIVE that it was never received. Because you're not gonna get it anyway.

Policy violations are nothing to ebay sellers but negative will ruin their sales.

Notice this jackass has changed his listing to SCIV. For $55! and used!

Damn, a lot of arguing for a 10% code. Imagine if they bumped it up to 20%, all hell would break loose. BTW, does anyone have a code they want to sell? Name your price or I could give you one of the 50 copies of Dead Space I picked up at Target for $7.50 each.
I'm going to eat some soup. You don't really eat it though, do you? I'm going to drink some soup.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']You know, a lot of those rationales work for selling codes, too. eBay allows you to sell codes, despite the fact that it's a violation of their rules. Amazon allows you to stack codes, despite the fact that ECA asked you not to.

Or, they don't know yet.

Anyone with an ECA membership want to report this one? We've got other posters saying they got thank yous for reporting eBay auctions, and this seems like just as much of an abuse to me.[/QUOTE]

Well said. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to those who invoke their "morals" only when convenient... It's all about the righteous posse taking down code selling on ebay, but when it comes to the stacking glitch, the same do-gooders shrug their shoulders and and say "well, it works, so it must be OK."

I use one code per game. Now the problem is that until that preorder ships the code you used to order it seems to stay on the account. I don't use that, and I add another code because I'm afraid that once the preorder I used the last code on ships then the code will no longer be good. So to be safe I use a new code per order.

I don't want the 20 percent, nor do i care if I get it. I just want to ensure that I get the 10 percent for when the game ships. They can fix this tomorrow and I wouldn't care, in fact I would be glad. I don't want them to stack, i don't feel right getting 20 percent when you aren't supposed to.

I would be ecstatic if they would add an option to remove a promo code. I would like to do this to remove the old code sitting there and add a new code so each game definitely has a unique code on it. That would be awesome

[quote name='eastx']Truly Jodou is asinine, but it seems better to insult him when he's begging for attention rather than when he acts more like a decent human being, even if his statement may have been wrong.

(Hee hee, I got to insult him anyway.)[/QUOTE]
Pfft, don't insult me like that. I've got a reputation to keep and I'm no decent human being!

[quote name='dboy81']Well said. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to those who invoke their "morals" only when convenient... It's all about the righteous posse taking down code selling on ebay, but when it comes to the stacking glitch, the same do-gooders shrug their shoulders and and say "well, it works, so it must be OK."[/QUOTE]

how about the fact Amazon right now isn't giving me a choice? I had placed an order using an older code and decided I didn't want the game and canceled it but that was after I also canceled a newer order (figured why the heck would I have a 360 game preordered this year when I don't have a 360 currently and the other game was Sakura Wars since Rosenqueen will get a LE)

now when I go to check a game out Amazon is automatically applying both coupons to my order whether I like it or not

If you are going to stack, just don't mention it. It's a fact that you can do it (even if you don't want to), however those old codes will run out and expire so it's a nonissue.

FWIW:
- I signed up under the free promo.
- If I need an ECA 10% off code, I'll go generate one at time of purchase.
- If ECA codes aren't available at that time, then, hey, no problem.

Getting tired of being included in the free-ECA-member = newbie = ruining-the-deal-for-all-others blanket statement that some are making.

People crying about the double stacking of codes and pointing fingers most likely don't understand how the glitch happens and must not look at the deals at CAG very often. Some of the most popular threads on this board are about exploiting glitches, like the WB gazillion stack codes or the recent one on Gamestop where you could get a system for free for buying a game instead of just a game. Glitch discussion is part of this website and is not viewed in the same light as return fraud(which mods delete). Also, I think people are failing to understand that for alot of people with the glitch it didnt even happen intentionally and cannot be avoided. For example, I had an old preorder I canceled a while back and recently canceled Halo to pick it up at Toys R Us instead for a better deal. Now if I want to order a game I have no choice but to use the double stacked coupon, it auto applies...should I never buy another game at Amazon again because of this, I think not. Also, do the people screaming morality never jump on a deal that looks to good to be true just in case its a glitch...should we never jump on awsome deals because we might be immoral if its a mistake.

I have a good question, why does everyone one says these codes are for video games only and not accessories? I know they don't work with console's, but they do work with accessories. The promotion applies to games, Microsoft Points, controllers, hard drives, and other stuff for me. So for anyone who doesn't know, they'll work with accessories as well.

For instance, the 120GB Xbox Hard Drive is $134.99 without the code, and $121.49 with the code, so if anyone needs a new HDD that's a pretty good deal. And then of course, if you want to get MS Points at $2 off just throw them on your order. And from what I've tried, everything works with the codes except the console.

I'm not sure if everyone already knows this, but I just see a lot of people saying video games only, no accessories/consoles, and the reason I commented about it was because that last eBay auction said "It does not work with accessories or consoles only video games."

Oh, and FWIW, (thanks eugaet) I reported that eBay listing. I wouldn't go to the extreme of purchasing and giving negative feedback because it'd be a waste of money since they'll just make a new account or a new person would come up. I mean, it might work, who knows. I guess I might try it seeing as The ECA has saved me like $30 I guess I owe it to them to try.

[quote name='eugaet']FWIW:
- I signed up under the free promo.
- If I need an ECA 10% off code, I'll go generate one at time of purchase.
- If ECA codes aren't available at that time, then, hey, no problem.

Getting tired of being included in the free-ECA-member = newbie = ruining-the-deal-for-all-others blanket statement that some are making.[/QUOTE]

You are right that we are blaming the new members for ECA not being ready for the backlash of giving away free membership. Maybe they thought the universal code would be up before then.

Like I stated before, I'm sure people have hoarded a few. Hell, I advise you to save up a few just in case. Many CAGs will gladly give you a code if they go down if you ask nicely enough. That's the point of a community.

[quote name='ferrari91169']I have a good question, why does everyone one says these codes are for video games only and not accessories? I know they don't work with console's, but they do work with accessories. The promotion applies to games, Microsoft Points, controllers, hard drives, and other stuff for me. So for anyone who doesn't know, they'll work with accessories as well.[/QUOTE]

It's the wording on the eca website. It says only software, they actually took the word accessories off the page. They might actually change the codes(the text has been changed for awhile now) to not work on accessories or they just took the comment off the page so if it doesn't work for a specific accessory you can't complain.

[quote name='dboy81']Well said. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to those who invoke their "morals" only when convenient... It's all about the righteous posse taking down code selling on ebay, but when it comes to the stacking glitch, the same do-gooders shrug their shoulders and and say "well, it works, so it must be OK."[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='caltab']People crying about the double stacking of codes and pointing fingers most likely don't understand how the glitch happens and must not look at the deals at CAG very often. Some of the most popular threads on this board are about exploiting glitches, like the WB gazillion stack codes or the recent one on Gamestop where you could get a system for free for buying a game instead of just a game. Glitch discussion is part of this website and is not viewed in the same light as return fraud(which mods delete). Also, I think people are failing to understand that for alot of people with the glitch it didnt even happen intentionally and cannot be avoided. For example, I had an old preorder I canceled a while back and recently canceled Halo to pick it up at Toys R Us instead for a better deal. Now if I want to order a game I have no choice but to use the double stacked coupon, it auto applies...should I never buy another game at Amazon again because of this, I think not. Also, do the people screaming morality never jump on a deal that looks to good to be true just in case its a glitch...should we never jump on awsome deals because we might be immoral if its a mistake.[/QUOTE]
My point was that people who take advantage of glitches intentionally should not whine about people who sell the codes & report them.

Those who did not do it intentionally always do have the option of notifying Amazon if they were truly righteous and had been reporting Ebayers. Doubt anyone would do that, but putting that out out of principle.

[quote name='J7.']My point was that people who take advantage of glitches intentionally should not whine about people who sell the codes & report them.

Those who did not do it intentionally always do have the option of notifying Amazon if they were truly righteous and had been reporting Ebayers. Doubt anyone would do that, but putting that out out of principle.[/QUOTE]
You make it seem like everybody who is reporting the eBay listings is also taking advantage of a glitch. That is simply not the case.

You obviously think you know of specific users that are doing this. Do you care to call any of them out?

[quote name='no_exit']You make it seem like everybody who is reporting the eBay listings is also taking advantage of a glitch. That is simply not the case.

You obviously think you know of specific users that are doing this. Do you care to call any of them out?[/QUOTE]

:wave:

[quote name='saiyajinsc']hmm didn't get any quick picks today, is that normal?[/QUOTE]

it happens from time to time

though there was a period where quick picks did go down for everyone for about a week

which caused a very bitter and long thread on the gold box forum

[quote name='no_exit']:wall: Not quite

Here is another one of Vortexk's eBay listings that need to be reported[/QUOTE]

I reported this guy yesterday and it's still not down? They're usually pretty quick about this.

[quote name='no_exit']:wall: Not quite

Here is another one of Vortexk's eBay listings that need to be reported[/QUOTE]

What the hell does that mean? I have a stacked code order, not selling them on ebay.

[quote name='no_exit']You make it seem like everybody who is reporting the eBay listings is also taking advantage of a glitch. That is simply not the case.

You obviously think you know of specific users that are doing this. Do you care to call any of them out?[/QUOTE]
Sorry if I may have implied some users taking advantage of the glitch if they may have not. I was just trying to say in general that it's wrong to act like others are so wrong and they are doing a good thing by stopping them if they are doing wrong to the two companies themselves as well. I based that off of seeing tons of people taking advantage of the glitch and tons talking shit about ebayers. I don't care to call anyone out specifically though.

[quote name='matthewrex']Is it in poor form to request one of these codes from an ECA member? Just curious, I could use one but don't want to piss anyone off.[/QUOTE]
I'd say so, especially if you consider that a one-year membership is currently free.

[quote name='Vortextk']What the hell does that mean? I have a stacked code order, not selling them on ebay.[/QUOTE]
Oops, I apologize for the misunderstanding Vortextk.

[quote name='J7.']This.

My point was that people who take advantage of glitches intentionally should not whine about people who sell the codes & report them.

Those who did not do it intentionally always do have the option of notifying Amazon if they were truly righteous and had been reporting Ebayers. Doubt anyone would do that, but putting that out out of principle.[/QUOTE]

I've never double stacked any codes, don't want to either. I never sold nor gave any codes to anyone else. I did create a contest for CAG for a free membership that ECA did give me because I was reporting Ebay listings. I have been reporting listings when I've found them. ECA wants us to because they can't police it yet. Hopefully Amazon can figure out a way for ECA.

I agree with your theory, but blanketing everyone and assuming as such is not correct.

[quote name='xycury']I've never double stacked any codes, don't want to either. I never sold nor gave any codes to anyone else. I did create a contest for CAG for a free membership that ECA did give me because I was reporting Ebay listings. I have been reporting listings when I've found them. ECA wants us to because they can't police it yet. Hopefully Amazon can figure out a way for ECA.

I agree with your theory, but blanketing everyone and assuming as such is not correct.[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6312600&postcount=2359

It feels like it's been weeks since I've gotten anything game-related in my quick picks, much less anything I want. It's getting really frustrating

I wish they'd cut a 10% off deal with Steam. That'd make it a lot more attractive to me anyhow. Still, I like what they're doing and may just join anyway, regardless of whether or not I take advantage of the discounts they offer. Thanks OP

[quote name='Spoit']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235975[/QUOTE]

Hah, yeah . . . I did all of those steps, and my recommended items are now mostly games, but my quick picks have gotten considerably worse. I was at least getting CDs of interest before, even if there weren't a lot of the games that I was looking for showing up. Now, after following those steps, I'm getting (today, for example) dog food for a dog that I can't have (allergies), coffee filters for coffee I don't drink, and biodegradable vacuum cleaner bags for a model of vacuum cleaner that I don't own. Completely useless.

The one day that I've gotten any really good games in my quick picks (there were six, all at once) was the day that the codes first went down last week. It's almost like Amazon was taunting me. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
im sorry if im being blind right now but i cant seem to find the thread on how to get membership to this for free.

or did i completely miss the boat on that one?

thanks,

I followed all the steps from the Gold Box FAQ, and I was getting all video games tailored to the systems I owned. They weren't all games I wanted, but it was a successful manipulation of the personal Gold Box.

Now its all random shit I've never looked at on Amazon - Frying pans, pipe thread tape, outdoor stuff. Really bizarre. All this happened after I used my Gold Box to buy Scribblenauts.

[quote name='kodave']Now its all random shit I've never looked at on Amazon - Frying pans, pipe thread tape, outdoor stuff. Really bizarre. All this happened after I used my Gold Box to buy Scribblenauts.[/QUOTE]

Strange, something similar happened to me too. I wasn't really trying to influence my Gold Box Quick Picks, but I almost always only use Amazon for video games so it's usually video games showing up in my choices. However, after using my Amazon Quick Pick to buy PSP Persona on pre-order last week, weird stuff have started appearing in my Gold Box picks since (water filter devices, some household stuff I can't remember, jewelery, and a Hanna Montanna book or something...)

I'm not getting many video games appear anymore. What's going on?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back