(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='no_exit']Agreed.

Other coupons do not have any disclaimer against selling like the ECA codes:
"The resale of ECA member benefits is a breach of the ECA Membership Agreement and will result in the immediate termination of such person's membership without remuneration."[/QUOTE]

reported listing as well...

[quote name='Vortextk']Yup.

To be fair, it would suck to sign up and the next day have literary another 100000 members join for free. I understand that, but it sucks just as much to buy a new computer and 2 weeks later the next video cards are released and yours drops to half price. I wouldn't expect nvidia to reimburse me. (or even worse, go and steal my video card's worth from some guy's wallet that works there)[/QUOTE]
This actually happened to me when the GTX 280 first released. I bought one for $500 since my 8800 GTX had literally just died a few days prior and I love getting top of the line for my favorite hobby. Then ATI started dropping their new cards that were surprisingly equivocal for half the price. Overnight, the 280 tanked in price by $150 and I contacted Newegg for a refund. They gave me shit until I mentioned it was unopened and now on the way for a return.

That whipped them into shape in a hurry and I was given the difference. It actually dropped a few more times afterward and they were able to give me store credit for those. To top it off, since EVGA is godly, they were offering something like $100 back in rebate form due to the massive price drop over the span of a week.

Long story short, paid $500 and ended up getting the card for ~$200.

[quote name='no_exit']Agreed.

Other coupons do not have any disclaimer against selling like the ECA codes:
"The resale of ECA member benefits is a breach of the ECA Membership Agreement and will result in the immediate termination of such person's membership without remuneration."[/QUOTE]

Now that's an empty threat

so i tried to order a game and use a coupon code today. I haven't used any codes in about a week or so. My coupon code didn't work so I tried generating a new. Now I get the message that you are only allowed one coupon per day. What a bunch of crap. So I guess when something good shows up in your goldbox and your code doesn't work you are SOL. Sure you can generate a new one tomorrow but then its too late for your goldbox item.

[quote name='reddjoey']Now that's an empty threat[/QUOTE]
Which makes the inclusion of the free, unchecked membership that much more damaging. A reseller could sit there all day making new free accounts using Paypal one-time use CCs and bogus e-mails. They honestly didn't think the promotion through and I'll not be re-upping next year when they have no sponsors left. Chances are they will still have a free trial on anyways. . .

I used some goldbox manipulation instructions on here and it actually worked! It was pretty time-consuming and maybe not worth the $2 per title you save overall, but both Uncharted 2 and Scribblenauts showed up in my box today. That, with the ECA discount brought them to $48.44 and $18.79! (Scribblenauts was only $18.79 because I got a $5 credit for ordering Uncharted and it showed up in my account immediately, which I thought was strange because it's a pre-order). Also odd was that I got super saver shipping on it even though the total was below $25 (and I did not sign up for the free prime trial). Maybe it's because the original price was higher than $25? I haven't run into this before though. Thanks for the tips, CAGS!

Now I just need to PLAY some of these games...

You "Good Samaritans" reporting the people selling them on ebay aren't really helping things for us. All you are really doing is bringing more attention to the fact that people are abusing the system and making it more likely that they will drop the 10% off promotion in the future. Better to think about what you are really doing before you do it.

[quote name='Purkeynator']You "Good Samaritans" reporting the people selling them on ebay aren't really helping things for us. All you are really doing is bringing more attention to the fact that people are abusing the system and making it more likely that they will drop the 10% off promotion in the future. Better to think about what you are really doing before you do it.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but as soon as you report it another auction will pop up from another seller. This is a fight you guys aren't going to win, unless your goal is to eliminate the coupons entirely.

Yes, it's against the ECA and eBay rules...but it's smarter to just let this one go.

Are you guys serious? It's not like the eca doesn't already know this happens anyway and are trying to find ways to stop it. So when the next topic gets brought up about some kind of CC scam/fraud, it shouldn't be deleted because it'll happen anyway?

Hey, Would someone please explain to me how I become a member of the eca. I signed up weeks ago and have returned to the site many times, but at no point was I required to enter my credit card info. I want to be a paying member for the amazon benefits but I don't know how.

[quote name='bdrsvt']Hey, Would someone please explain to me how I become a member of the eca. I signed up weeks ago and have returned to the site many times, but at no point was I required to enter my credit card info. I want to be a paying member for the amazon benefits but I don't know how.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the confirmation/verification e-mail after signing up for the site? You won't get any prompts to become a member on the site until you've verified.

A few of us on CAG have been specifically contacted and THANKED by the ECA for reporting codes being sold. They DO appreciate it -- a LOT. They're aware of the abuse and working with Amazon and Ebay to try to get rid of it.

[quote name='Purkeynator']You "Good Samaritans" reporting the people selling them on ebay aren't really helping things for us. All you are really doing is bringing more attention to the fact that people are abusing the system and making it more likely that they will drop the 10% off promotion in the future. Better to think about what you are really doing before you do it.[/QUOTE]

It's helping ECA, which gladly sent me goodies for doing it. They appriceiate the help we're providing.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Not only that, but as soon as you report it another auction will pop up from another seller. This is a fight you guys aren't going to win, unless your goal is to eliminate the coupons entirely.

Yes, it's against the ECA and eBay rules...but it's smarter to just let this one go.[/QUOTE]

How the fuck are the coupons going away? It's different now that anyone could join "free" but vs paying, if one person sold 1000s of codes online, wouldn't that be lost revenue to a non-profit ECA??? Wouldn't that be loss "advertisement" to ECA for Amazon to give this promotion to us?

How is it "smart"? Unless you're the dbag selling the codes?

[quote name='no_exit']Thanks - reported.

And to the "Good Samaritan" bashers: What do you care if we spend 10 seconds of our lives and report these scumbags?

Does it effect you negatively in any way? I guess if you were the bastards trying to sell these codes, then it would have a negative impact on you.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vortextk']Are you guys serious? It's not like the eca doesn't already know this happens anyway and are trying to find ways to stop it. So when the next topic gets brought up about some kind of CC scam/fraud, it shouldn't be deleted because it'll happen anyway?[/QUOTE]

And like the above two posts.... the ones complaining about us doing good, go fuck yourself.

I enjoy this ECA promotion, I paid for mine, I gave my extra free year up for a contest here on CAG.

Anything I can do, which is 10 seconds, to save it, is something anyone should do. Not ignore it.

Wait...so I'm selling coupon codes now? Right now, I don't even have an ECA membership because of the credit card requirement. :roll:

And to the "Good Samaritan" bashers: What do you care if we spend 10 seconds of our lives and report these scumbags?

Does it effect you negatively in any way? I guess if you were the bastards trying to sell these codes, then it would have a negative impact on you.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't affect me negatively, but it would if the codes vanished.

Do the codes on eBay affect you negatively? We're talking about a ten percent coupon; does it really matter to you if a few of the thousands that ECA generates are bought and sold by idiots on eBay?

It's just like we said in our posts: if you report it, there's a risk that ECA's method of dealing with it might be to stop offering the codes entirely. Regardless of why you may have signed up, offering 10% Amazon discounts isn't their primary reason for existing. If the codes cause more trouble than they're worth, why bother keeping them around?

Best case scenario for you: you report the auction, the item gets pulled...and more codes pop up in other auctions by other sellers. Worst case: ECA pulls the codes entirely. Maybe I'm looking at this cynically, but I'm not seeing where you guys win by reporting the auctions.

[quote name='Vortextk']Are you guys serious? It's not like the eca doesn't already know this happens anyway and are trying to find ways to stop it. So when the next topic gets brought up about some kind of CC scam/fraud, it shouldn't be deleted because it'll happen anyway?[/QUOTE]

There's no guarantee that ECA does know about this. That said, if you're so sure they do know, why bother reporting it at all?

People have been gaming eBay since it began. As long as you word the auction so you're selling your time or effort, or providing that Super Bowl ticket as a free gift with a $5,000 pencil, you can weasel your way in to selling most things on the site, regardless of eBay's rules. This won't be any different, and the only way ECA is going to be able to do anything about it is if they devote manpower to it, and have an employee spend time contacting eBay to remove the auctions and dealing with any complications that arise in the process, like sellers who decide to file complaints. Something tells me that it's not worth their time to do anything about it.

It's smarter to pick your battles. While there's no guarantee ECA will pull the coupons, it's hard to argue that it isn't a viable possibility. The benefit here in reporting the codes pale in comparison to the potential drawback.

Commercial break over. Back to football. :)

[quote name='Gothic Walrus'] No, it doesn't affect me negatively, but it would if the codes vanished.[/QUOTE]
EXACTLY!! That is why I, along with a group of other CAGs, will keep reporting these listings. You and I just have a different stance on the best way to approach the issue.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus'] Do the codes on eBay affect you negatively? We're talking about a ten percent coupon; does it really matter to you if a few of the thousands that ECA generates are bought and sold by idiots on eBay?[/QUOTE]
At this point, no they do not. But I do not want them to be the cause of the ECA and Amazon stopping the promotion.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus'] It's just like we said in our posts: if you report it, there's a risk that ECA's method of dealing with it might be to stop offering the codes entirely. Regardless of why you may have signed up, offering 10% Amazon discounts isn't their primary reason for existing. If the codes cause more trouble than they're worth, why bother keeping them around?

Best case scenario for you: you report the auction, the item gets pulled...and more codes pop up in other auctions by other sellers. Worst case: ECA pulls the codes entirely. Maybe I'm looking at this cynically, but I'm not seeing where you guys win by reporting the auctions.

There's no guarantee that ECA does know about this. That said, if you're so sure they do know, why bother reporting it at all?
[/QUOTE]
Too late, the ECA is well aware of the abuse on eBay and they do appreciate our efforts to try and stop the abusers. See the following quotes:

[quote name='Justin42']A few of us on CAG have been specifically contacted and THANKED by the ECA for reporting codes being sold. They DO appreciate it -- a LOT. They're aware of the abuse and working with Amazon and Ebay to try to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xycury']It's helping ECA, which gladly sent me goodies for doing it. They appriceiate the help we're providing.[/QUOTE]

I have also received a thank you package from the ECA for keeping the auctions off eBay.

[quote name='xycury']And like the above two posts.... the ones complaining about us doing good, go fuck yourself.[/QUOTE]
Huh? My post was not bashing the do-gooders, it was in favor of them - notice that my comments were directed at the "Good Samaritan" bashers.

[quote name='no_exit']EXACTLY!! That is why I, along with a group of other CAGs, will keep reporting these listings. You and I just have a different stance on the best way to approach the issue.

At this point, no they do not. But I do not want them to be the cause of the ECA and Amazon stopping the promotion.

Too late, the ECA is well aware of the abuse on eBay and they do appreciate our efforts to try and stop the abusers. See the following quotes:

I have also received a thank you package from the ECA for keeping the auctions off eBay.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, maybe I'm just cynical. If ECA really does care, then that's not the reaction I'm used to seeing from the companies or organizations that provide discounts like this. I've been on CAG long enough to see plenty of good things get ruined, so my usual reaction is to try and stay as hands-off as possible - things like the eBay auctions always slip through the cracks, and I don't want to do anything that could potentially hasten the demise of the coupon. And sometimes, despite your intent, being a "good Samaritan" can do that just as quickly or even faster than abuse of the offer.

I see reporting incidents like this as the same thing as calling employees before you go to a store: a really bad idea. You don't ever call attention to anything that could jeopardize the deal. There are always going to be people who hoard (or scalp, in this case); you just learn to live with that.

I still think they're fighting a losing battle, but I'll drop it for now.

:roll:

People crying over 10% coupons..... Lol, that's funny. Those people selling the coupons on Ebay are doing what they need to do for money. Would you rather they be selling drugs, robbing people, etc.

We all need to make a living, who cares if someone is selling a measly 10% coupon, most of the people reporting them are either kids and people who live with their parents and never breathed a breath of " Real Life "

Stop being internet police & let people live, nothing worst than a snitch rat........ We are in a recession, never stop anyone from making money ........ One day in your life you might be down & out & you might have to sell coupons or anything just to put food on the table........

peace

Your an idiot.

You exactly the type of person who shouldn't be on CAG. (I swear, CAG should require a test to judge intelligence before a person is able to sign up.)

It's an indirect form of stealing. By selling coupons, they gain money. The consumers could've signed up for the ECA using the "GIMAG" coupon code on theeca.com for free. (as of this current time.)

Instead, someone profits off of them. The ECA gets nothing. (Not even a future chance at a subscription from said consumers.)

If they need money, they can do many things that are not stealing, just working the system.

Examples being flipping credit between GS/BBV/HWV and then cashing out by flipping games to FYE for cash. -Easy- money if your willing to put the time commitment in and it's perfectly legal to work the system this way.

Bringing drugs or physical theft into this is -stupid-. If they weren't selling coupons, they would be getting a job. A -legit- job that pays -money-.

On top of that, does a person who is willing to go to the lengths of scamming people on EBay for their money, and screwing over an association like the ECA probably need the money? No.

In general, most of these people are in their late teens, early twenties and are doing this for money so they can buy either video games or the "drugs" that you seem to imply that they would be selling. They wouldn't be selling them. They'd probably be the prime buyers, since they now have a -free-, -illegal- cash flow that allows them to spend all that extra cash on bullshit.

[quote name='tears2040']:roll:

People crying over 10% coupons..... Lol, that's funny. Those people selling the coupons on Ebay are doing what they need to do for money. Would you rather they be selling drugs, robbing people, etc.

We all need to make a living, who cares if someone is selling a measly 10% coupon, most of the people reporting them are either kids and people who live with their parents and never breathed a breath of " Real Life "

Stop being internet police & let people live, nothing worst than a snitch rat........ We are in a recession, never stop anyone from making money ........ One day in your life you might be down & out & you might have to sell coupons or anything just to put food on the table........

peace[/QUOTE]

Tears you have a good point, but no context. The CAGs who are upset are paying members. I paid a few days before the free membership opened up. I'm not upset that I spent money (I'll recoup my money in 2-3 purchases), but that the codes where unavailable when I needed them. Why? because of hoarders, free member overload, and then people selling them.

I don't think anyone here wants to police eBay, I'm sure the ECA has a team for that, but I'm sure that want to send the message that the rules will be enforced. If they report enough people, eBay and the ECA will work out a filter.

As to being in the position to need to sell, I'm currently between jobs and selling codes would be an easy way for me to fund my living and gaming habit, but I don't do it because I have some morals.

Let's get this topic back on the subject of deals.

[quote name='tears2040']Stop being internet police & let people live, nothing worst than a snitch rat........ We are in a recession, never stop anyone from making money ........ One day in your life you might be down & out & you might have to sell coupons or anything just to put food on the table........[/QUOTE]

While I haven't been reporting anyone, I feel inclined to start. The problem with pulling potential hypotheses out of thin air is that it doesn't really help an argument. There exists the likelihood that people are just selling the codes for their own benefit. In all honesty, years ago I probably would have done the same. But that is the problem with hypotheticals, really. You can use anything that may be plausible to bolster an argument, whether or not it is grounded in reality.

But as it stands I've already been in the down & out position. There are many ways to pull through without gaming this, that, and everything else. It's not ~easy~, but it's doable.

[quote name='reddjoey']Tears you have a good point, but no context. The CAGs who are upset are paying members. I paid a few days before the free membership opened up. I'm not upset that I spent money (I'll recoup my money in 2-3 purchases), but that the codes where unavailable when I needed them. Why? because of hoarders, free member overload, and then people selling them.

I don't think anyone here wants to police eBay, I'm sure the ECA has a team for that, but I'm sure that want to send the message that the rules will be enforced. If they report enough people, eBay and the ECA will work out a filter.

As to being in the position to need to sell, I'm currently between jobs and selling codes would be an easy way for me to fund my living and gaming habit, but I don't do it because I have some morals.

Let's get this topic back on the subject of deals.[/QUOTE]

Great points, kudos to you. I would add that I think it's not just paying members but also free members who only use what they need (i.e., don't hoard) that share the same frustration.

Unfortunately, there are lots of people, on this site and in general, that don't have similar morals or only abide by them when it's convenient. It would be great if in addition to being a CAG, some of these people could have little bit of grace and decorum as well.

Happy gaming.

My final post on this.

People will always sell coupons, live your life. The Internet police you people seem to think you are means nothing. Think of all of the ways us as CAGers flip deals so we can benefit. You can't call one thing a crime & then do it yourself.

No one has to buy a coupon, if I go to ebay and purchase one then that is my decision. Stop knocking the next persons hustle. You think these companies that import from China where kids are slaving for pennies give a flying fuck......

Get with the times people, if I can find the best deal and make a buck while I'm at it I will. No one is going to help you when your down & out so you need to provide for yourself. Also these coupons IMO really mean nothing.

On a $60 dollar purchase I would save about $6.00, I hardly call that a deal when MANY websites sell games for 51.99-53.99 brand new. Heck I just seen Halo ODST on Ebay for $49.99 with free shipping, so that to me is better than any deal out.

You kids remind me of the nerds & dorks in school

I'm done here

[quote name='tears2040']My final post on this.

People will always sell coupons, live your life. The Internet police you people seem to think you are means nothing. Think of all of the ways us as CAGers flip deals so we can benefit. You can't call one thing a crime & then do it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Flipping isn't a crime, it's buying at one store and selling at another. Do you understand this? Selling the codes may not be "criminal", but is something quite different than a regular game flip.

[quote name='tears2040']
No one has to buy a coupon, if I go to ebay and purchase one then that is my decision. Stop knocking the next persons hustle. You think these companies that import from China where kids are slaving for pennies give a flying fuck......[/QUOTE]

Lol what?

[quote name='tears2040']
You kids remind me of the nerds & dorks in school[/QUOTE]

You're on a website primarily aimed at finding deals and saving money on video games. I think we're past the "you're a dork but I'm not" argument.
[quote name='tears2040']
I'm done here[/QUOTE]

Good?

My 2 cents is we should continue to report ebay sellers. It won't stop the problem in and of itself, but it's better than letting them run rampant and giving people the idea that they can hoard w/o consequence. Eventually the promo will either be rescinded or will change to the long proposed multi-use single code that's attached to individual accounts, but until then, a little community policing doesn't hurt.

I found another one just now that I reported. Sad because the guy has 100% fb at the moment.

[quote name='tears2040']My final post on this.

I'm done here[/QUOTE]

Fixed for you.

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

Why don't you ask to have your account deleted like JohnDoe so you and him can go have a tea party.

Has anyone else had credit card troubles besides io? After reading that post, I'm really reluctant to sign up. :shock:

[quote name='dboy81']Unfortunately, there are lots of people, on this site and in general, that don't have similar morals or only abide by them when it's convenient. It would be great if in addition to being a CAG, some of these people could have little bit of grace and decorum as well.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, hoarding (scalping may be more appropriate here) has always been and will always be part of the CAG experience. While we can try to discourage it, that's about all we can do.

Some people are douchewads, and there's not much we can do about it.

[quote name='Vortextk']Flipping isn't a crime, it's buying at one store and selling at another. Do you understand this? Selling the codes may not be "criminal", but is something quite different than a regular game flip.[/QUOTE]

Is it?

In one case, you're screwing somebody else out of a deal for personal gain. In the other, you're screwing somebody else out of a deal for personal gain.

The biggest differences are that there's no physical constraint on number of coupons, that (if they choose to) ECA can actually do something about selling coupons, and that ECA's internal rules prohibit this kind of behavior (so there's a repercussion here, in the form of losing your membership). Flipping doesn't come with those constraints. Beyond that, I don't see much of a difference between taking more than your share of the copies of that $20 Rock Band bundle at Sears and taking more than your share of the coupons from ECA.

As for the arguments about paid members - I understand how you feel, but ECA decided to open the floodgates to have a larger membership base. Unless I've missed something, the fact that you paid doesn't make your membership any different at all from the free members. If that means that a bunch of assholes on FatWallet take all of the freebies...well, it sucks for you, but it's a direct consequence of ECA choosing to publish a free offer in a nationally circulated magazine.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
In one case, you're screwing somebody else out of a deal for personal gain. In the other, you're screwing somebody else out of a deal for personal gain.

The biggest differences are that there's no physical constraint on number of coupons, that (if they choose to) ECA can actually do something about selling coupons, and that ECA's internal rules prohibit this kind of behavior (so there's a repercussion here, in the form of losing your membership). Flipping doesn't come with those constraints. Beyond that, I don't see much of a difference between taking more than your share of the copies of that $20 Rock Band bundle at Sears and taking more than your share of the well, it scoupons from ECA.
[/QUOTE]

Not talking about people, talking about companies. Bestbuy lets me buy games, regardless if they're severely underpriced or not, and gamestop lets me sell games to them, regardless if they're giving me way too much. In the end, the business has control over the system and by crossing paths of a few of them, you can make profit. Don't use the hoarder argument on me if I wasn't talking about hoarding, just a couple of regular flips. Or do you really think I'm depriving people of copies of iron man when I bought from bbv and traded to GS?

And "more than your share" is ambiguous. Sears WANTS the game to sell, ECA does NOT want you to sell the coupon, that is the difference. And since the eca was kind enough to give me a 10% amazon video game coupon, for 20$, 15$ or FREE, I don't mind respecting their wishes of what to do with it(especially since it's been given a decently official thumbs up to give a few to family or friends if you want).

[quote name='Vortextk']Not talking about people, talking about companies. Bestbuy lets me buy games, regardless if they're severely underpriced or not, and gamestop lets me sell games to them, regardless if they're giving me way too much. In the end, the business has control over the system and by crossing paths of a few of them, you can make profit. Don't use the hoarder argument on me if I wasn't talking about hoarding, just a couple of regular flips. Or do you really think I'm depriving people of copies of iron man when I bought from bbv and traded to GS?[/QUOTE]

Oh, how easily the moral codes slide. ;)

Flipping and hoarding are the exact same thing on a slightly different scale. If you bought two copies or twenty of that hypothetical Rock Band bundle, I wouldn't give a rat's ass - I'd be just as disappointed to see the empty shelf.

Why is it okay if you're doing "just a couple of regular flips" instead of doing it on a larger scale? How is that any different?

And no, you may not have cared about Iron Man, but there's probably a ten year old out there who would've loved to get the game for cheap. Hell, we've got people who think Rock Revolution is a good game - that's proof enough to me that people can care about any game.

[quote name='Vortextk']And "more than your share" is ambiguous. Sears WANTS the game to sell, ECA does NOT want you to sell the coupon, that is the difference. And since the eca was kind enough to give me a 10% amazon video game coupon, for 20$, 15$ or FREE, I don't mind respecting their wishes of what to do with it(especially since it's been given a decently official thumbs up to give a few to family or friends if you want).[/QUOTE]

The "few to family or friends" phrase draws the same kind of fuzzy parallel that you did with your distinction between flipping and hoarding: where is the line? How many is too many?

Aside from that, point taken. You know as well as I do, though, that the people selling the coupons don't give a rat's ass what ECA's intent behind them is - only that they can make a profit on it in the process.

It's capitalism.

Nobody wants to "knock his hustle", but there are several problems here mainly The ECA prohibits selling of codes.

I see it like this. If you had a preorder bonus from Gamestop for preordering Super Sonic Sisters 7, like say a "code" for an unlockable Character. You go to pickup your order and you don't get a code. GS tells you can get your code in 2-3 days just come back. On the way to leave you check next door and some guy is selling a stack of the codes from GS. You'd be pissed.

Not a great example, but close

Ebay is completely seperate from ECA and Amazon.

I don't see the connection in finding these bad auctions, flag them because they are even illegal by ebay's rules, and force these dbags to shut down.

ECA cares because it's their codes, but that's it, once we flag an ebay auction, ECA won't know that.

I don't see anything wrong with flagging these auctions. Since ECA is trying to get codes to be one person, eventually it'll be better.

The same people stacking ECA codes are trying to help the ECA by reporting code sellers :lol:. Both are equally wrong.

[quote name='J7.']The same people stacking ECA codes are trying to help the ECA by reporting code sellers :lol:. Both are equally wrong.[/QUOTE]

i am not code stacking ?

[quote name='reddjoey']ITT:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I, uh...hope they didn't drag any cord away from that like they did with the....you know what, nevermind.

But yeah, I second this.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
No, it doesn't affect me negatively, but it would if the codes vanished.
[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that this will happen. I could see them limiting the codes instead, which would be a great idea. One code per member, per week, or something similar. This would help them keep members that joined their site only for the 10% off codes, and it will also keep douchebag's from selling them on eBay. Or at least selling them in mass amounts.

Does it really not bother you that this guy on eBay probably clicked the "get new code" button 200 times just so he could sell them for $3 each? If that doesn't bother you, I don't know what kind of morals you have.

But like I said, limiting codes is a much better idea. Unless you're buying over one game per week you could easily start saving up codes (four a month) and pre-order some stuff.

Or maybe they could find a way to link the code you generated to the name you have registered with The ECA. For example, if your registered as John Smith, then if you redeem it with an Amazon account also registered as John Smith, then you can receive a second code, and so fourth as long as you keep redeeming them on your same name Amazon account.

I think that'd be a little harder to set up then just limiting the codes, but it could be a great idea. I think The ECA knows a majority of their members are there for the 10% off codes, and I'm sure they'll think of another strategy before removing the codes completely, so I'll still be reporting these fucktards that have to sell them.

[quote name='J7.']The same people stacking ECA codes are trying to help the ECA by reporting code sellers :lol:. Both are equally wrong.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='judgedee']i am not code stacking ?[/QUOTE]

I'm not code stacking either. I have two codes right now on my PC, and I only have two because I'm already planning on using one once I get an item in my GB/QP, and I just have one other one for a backup because the codes are down all the time, but like I've said before, if the codes are down and anyone needs a code I'll give them my backup code...I have no problem with that.

First of all, thanks to the OP. This is a great thing for the CAG community.

I used my first two codes yest. One on a gold box (Ghostbusters for 360) and Flashpoint 2 for 360. One question. My goldbox deal took the discount off the original price and the regular pre-order was off the Amazon "discounted" price resulting in less of a discount. Is this different on pre-orders vs. current games or just gold box purchases? Thanks for anyone with ECA experience.

[quote name='Spinshag']First of all, thanks to the OP. This is a great thing for the CAG community.

I used my first two codes yest. One on a gold box (Ghostbusters for 360) and Flashpoint 2 for 360. One question. My goldbox deal took the discount off the original price and the regular pre-order was off the Amazon "discounted" price resulting in less of a discount. Is this different on pre-orders vs. current games or just gold box purchases? Thanks for anyone with ECA experience.[/QUOTE]

The gold box deals do take the discount off of the original price, whereas everything else is off the price in your cart. So it makes gold box deals extra tempting. ;)

[quote name='jodou']this thread needs more rage quits![/quote]

fine, whatever. I'm quitting lacrosse. Giving it up cold turkey. You guys can revoke my membership to the country club. I'm done.

No, both are not equally wrong. Does the ECA website say not to keep extra codes for yourself? Nope. But it does say not to sell them. Thus, don't sell them.

[quote name='eastx']No, both are not equally wrong. Does the ECA website say not to keep extra codes for yourself? Nope. But it does say not to sell them. Thus, don't sell them.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say Hoarding... I said stacking. Does the ECA website say 20% off games or 10%? Does it say use multiple codes per game? No, it says:

"get 10% off your games purchases at Amazon.com." "The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart."

Or maybe it says to cancel your old orders, find a loophole, and reuse your codes along with new codes... of course that is what they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back