(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I have an 'L' code sitting on my account and it still applies to a game when I put it in my cart (that I applied yesterday) - so the discount definitely didn't expire after the 30th of Sept. I'm not sure how it works if you are applying a "new" old code though - maybe it won't apply, though I'm guessing it will and the expiration date was just there for appearance sake ;).

Yep I have an L and a J code stacked sitting in my account waiting to be used as well, tried it with a game today and it definitely worked....

[quote name='sabanoo']Double stack + $5 promo code. The order is split into two smaller orders because one likely has faster shipping than the other. It takes the 10% off each smaller order and splits the $5 promo code by percentage of the total order. Amazon is pretty crazy sometimes.[/QUOTE]

how long does it take for that to happen? Mine didn't break-up that way, it's all just sitting out there together (I selected "as fast as possible" on the # of shipments, and I know at least half of the stuff has RDD).

i had a code sitting in my account and slammed a new one in, but I cant get it to 30%.

Lemme guess you need the codes from along time ago, and the older codes, and these new codes correct?

"Unable to get offer code. Please wait one day to get a new offer code."

Huh. Do we have to wait 24 hours or something? The last code I generated was yesterday. Nowhere close to midnight.

EDIT: It says per "24 hour period" so it may seem obvious, but it doesn't distinguish a period being defined through their own resetting clock or through the moment of coupon use.

[quote name='lee7sauce']You need to stack codes from months ago (which you don't have and can't get anymore).[/QUOTE]

oh so I needed to have saved codes.. well damn guess I'll just keep saving codes from now on. and I just used a "J" code the other day not knowing lol dammit. Someone wanna hook it up w/ a couple codes so I can stack my new code on top for Borderlands? =P thanks haha

[quote name='GuardianE']"Unable to get offer code. Please wait one day to get a new offer code."

Huh. Do we have to wait 24 hours or something? The last code I generated was yesterday. Nowhere close to midnight.

EDIT: It says per "24 hour period" so it may seem obvious, but it doesn't distinguish a period being defined through their own resetting clock or through the moment of coupon use.[/QUOTE]

delete your cookies and try again

For those who fear canceled orders (even bans)... if Amazon is so concerned about this, why was yet another batch of codes issued that stack? Of course they may simply not know but then the question is why not? I believe earlier in the thread someone said that it is very difficult on their end for them to notice that a particular order has multiple promotions of the SAME type applied rather than multiple, different stacked promotions (although you would think the fact that there are 3 of the exact same value would be easy to detect). It is also a fairly limited number of people who can triple stack (although now more can double stack), so this may not even be enough occurrences to draw a red flag.

Anyway, I decided to pre-order nearly every game I'll be interested in released over the next year in at 30% off. About 20 titles. The 6-7 that includes this year will come out to around $30-35 a game since so many of them have $10 GC. It is almost B1G1 Free so I won't be purchasing from anywhere else for a long time.

[quote name='Moravagine']For those who fear canceled orders (even bans)... if Amazon is so concerned about this, why was yet another batch of codes issued that stack? Of course they may simply not know but then the question is why not? I believe earlier in the thread someone said that it is very difficult on their end for them to notice that a particular order has multiple promotions of the SAME type applied rather than multiple, different stacked promotions (although you would think the fact that there are 3 of the exact same value would be easy to detect). It is also a fairly limited number of people who can triple stack (although now more can double stack), so this may not even be enough occurrences to draw a red flag.

Anyway, I decided to pre-order nearly every game I'll be interested in the next year in at 30% off. About 15-20 titles. The 6-7 that includes this year will come out to around $30-35 a game since so many of them have $10 GC. It is almost B1G1 Free so I won't be purchasing from anywhere else for a long time.[/QUOTE]

good stuff. so to get 30%, you have to have a "J" code, plus an "L" code, then the new #'s one? - oh and are you putting this all in one single order I assume? To have the discount apply to all?

Not all J codes will work for the 30% stack, right? Just the ones from before the outage in the middle of last month. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong-- I could only get stacked up to 20%.

[quote name='aznguyen316']good stuff. so to get 30%, you have to have a "J" code, plus an "L" code, then the new #'s one? - oh and are you putting this all in one single order I assume? To have the discount apply to all?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, "L" "J" and the new ones that start with a number.

I had more than one "L" code by canceling old pre-orders so I wasn't forced to put them all into a single order. Otherwise that is of course the route to go.

[quote name='darknight88']well all this will end with a single use code per account that dont expire. I thought that was the plan so enjoy your staking for now.[/QUOTE]

saved almost 250 dollars on preorders.

Will do.

The codes beginning with J's and L's should have stopped working. A lot of times it seems what Amazon means to convey when they say that a code expires by X date is that it must be redeemed by then. I seem to recall people saying they still had their '50% off a game' code working weeks after the coupon technically expired.

this may be a dumb question...but, say I order a bunch of games, actually, for this question lets just use two games to make it simpler.

Say I buy Brutal Legend (with 20% off) and Ratchet and Clank Future on the same order. Will the 10$ free game credit be applied to Ratchet, since it ships later, or will it not apply since Ratchet was on the same order? Thanks guys

[quote name='Nirron'] I seem to recall people saying they still had their '50% off a game' code working weeks after the coupon technically expired.[/QUOTE]

What was this coupon from? Did you have to do trade ins or was it something different?

are you sure? Because when I go to finalize the order all I see is the 20 percent split up, not the game store credits you get for buying these games.

Like:

NSMB - $10
Brutal Legend - $10
Uncharted 2 - $5

the coupon for 50% was when the TIV program started. You had to trade in 50 bucks worth of stuff to get the 50% coupon. One of hte best deals of the century if you ask me

guess I just have bad luck...the 10 and 5 dollar came credits are not splitting up...but it makes sense, cuz it says on the next order.

really wanted to jump on this, but since I only stacked 20% I am better off going to TRU for their usual B2G1.

[quote name='au7oma7ic']are you sure? Because when I go to finalize the order all I see is the 20 percent split up, not the game store credits you get for buying these games.

Like:

NSMB - $10
Brutal Legend - $10
Uncharted 2 - $5[/QUOTE]

The game credits will be listed when checking out as $0.00 promotions:

Promotion Applied: -$0.00

They will also be on the email confirmation you receive in the same format. For whatever reason, they won't be listed when you check your order status via Amazon.com after placing it.

I know once one of the game ships and you actually get the credit, it won't automatically be applied to an already existing order (it will just be on the next order you place)... however, I think you can email Amazon to have them apply it manually. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

It will split the credit when it ships, not when you place the order. You will just see the credit taken off of the total order but it will split as they ship out

[quote name='io']FWIW, I have an 'L' code sitting on my account and it still applies to a game when I put it in my cart (that I applied yesterday) - so the discount definitely didn't expire after the 30th of Sept. I'm not sure how it works if you are applying a "new" old code though - maybe it won't apply, though I'm guessing it will and the expiration date was just there for appearance sake ;).[/QUOTE]
To clarify, any codes redeemed prior to expiration yesterday will remain in your account for use. I can confirm that this morning all my redeemed discounts were still ready and available for use from some canceled orders. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that once a code has been redeemed, the discount is good for life until used in an order that ships.

I ended up cancelling all my preorders and reordering them with the new codes to stack against my old codes. I got 30% off on about 15 games. ECA is even more valuable than we initially thought.

[quote name='Jodou']To clarify, any codes redeemed prior to expiration yesterday will remain in your account for use. I can confirm that this morning all my redeemed discounts were still ready and available for use from some canceled orders. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that once a code has been redeemed, the discount is good for life until used in an order that ships.[/QUOTE]

Which got me wondering... since it's possible to cancel a preorder and have those codes return to the cart, would one be able to purchase a game and preorder another in one purchase, then cancel the preorder and have the codes stay in the cart?

I would think doing things like this will certainly result in Amazon cancelling orders and/or a reevaluation of how ECA codes are being used.

MW2 Hardened
Demon's Soul Deluxe
Uncharted 2
GoW Collection
Heavy Rain

$150 after 3xECA and two other promos.

Feels good man.

i havent been checking this topic lately and just found out about the whole 30% off thing.

i wonder if should keep re-do my original pre-order and to save 15 bucks more or pay 10 bucks more to add the god of war collection....

[quote name='CKaz']I would think doing things like this will certainly result in Amazon cancelling orders and/or a reevaluation of how ECA codes are being used.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I was only able to snag up 20% and I feel guilty about the whole thing. Then again this has made me buy more games than ever before, purchase a prime membership, and even buy a few things completely unrelated to gaming through amazon by all my exposure to the site.

In the end it may not be such a bad deal for amazon if you look at the bigger picture.

It's been posted by a mod to stop asking for codes here.

Has anyone had any luck getting a CS rep to apply the new # codes to an old order? I have a goldbox pre-order that I had them apply it to and it didn't stack with an older code. Just curious if anyone else has tried and it if it has/hasn't worked so I know if I should stop trying and just cancel the goldbox order and stick it in with the rest.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']So if I cancel my order to add a few things I missed my coupons should still be there correct?[/QUOTE]

correct

[quote name='jacknicklson']Do not email them asking to stack a code(even if you choose different wording) that is just stupid. No need to be greedy[/QUOTE]

No need to be greedy? Isn't this whole thread about stacking them to get 30% off about being greedy??? The CS reps via e-mail are almost all outsourced and really don't care nor do they have a clue about what is going on. If someone has a more informative/helpful answer that'd be great.

[quote name='Vortextk']You're going to just have to re-order whatever you're after if they already tried. What else could be done?[/QUOTE]

After seeing some other people have a few random problems with the new # codes sometimes not stacking I figured it was worth a shot. I'll probably just consolidate it into another order.

[quote name='sabanoo']No need to be greedy? Isn't this whole thread about stacking them to get 30% off about being greedy??? The CS reps via e-mail are almost all outsourced and really don't care nor do they have a clue about what is going on. If someone has a more informative/helpful answer that'd be great.[/QUOTE]

In the past i've called a CS rep over the phone to attempt to get them to apply a single ECA coupon to a goldbox preorder (When I had first joined the ECA months ago). They denied my request, telling me that once an order was placed the CS reps were unable to apply codes to an order. Ultimately after a little complaining instead of applying the code he did a workaround where he just lowered the price of the product by the same amount I would have been saving and we called it even.

I don't know if he was telling the truth, but for what's it worth, there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back