(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't work with my school address, so I emailed them and the lady said to check my spam folders. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but she CC"d the email to another theeca.com and a yahoo address, why would she have done that? I don't really want her sending my email to unknown folks :/

Guys, I have a question...

I was looking for the thread where you preorder madden and get a $10 gift card. Well how do you recieve the $10 gift card? Is a code emailed or is it credited to your account or what?
Thanks.

[quote name='Estebon']Ok, I have now gotten two email and still no way to sign up for this thing. Can someone post a direct link or something?[/QUOTE]

There is no link we can give you. Email them.

[quote name='Estebon']Ok, I have now gotten two email and still no way to sign up for this thing. Can someone post a direct link or something?[/QUOTE]

Make a yahoo email account and then change your eca membership email to that and resend validation. Only thing is if you were going for student discount you wont get it this way, but it will send the payment thing to yahoo address I was having the same problem with it not resending to my regular email addy and fixed it by doing this.

Alright, so I signed up for ECA and had to pay $20 since my .edu wasn't getting the email.

How on Earth do I get the promo code? The page says click the link below, yet there is no link. -_-

Tried signing up about 10 days ago... E-mail never came through to my school e-mail... Sent an e-mail to them and got an out of office response from a person in the department that gave e-mail contacts for two other individuals in the department. I sent out copies of the e-mails to those two contacts... Still haven't heard from anyone... Bleh

[quote name='kyo27']anyone not able to regenerate the amazon code?[/QUOTE]

YES! I can't either. fuck. And I have NSMB Wii in my Gold Box quick picks which I've been waiting for for weeks! The code it shows me will not work and it will not regenerate. They better get this fixed quick!

[quote name='kyo27']anyone not able to regenerate the amazon code?[/QUOTE]
Great, mine appears to be stuck as well and I'm waiting on trade-ins to finalize purchases. Best be resolved by the time I actually need them. . .

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']They're probably fixing it from being 1 time codes...[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean there - if it doesn't work that's no good...

I reported it too - to both the web staff and membership (non-dues) address.

Whew - just generated a new one. Do it quick while it works!

Subtotal of Items: $46.99
Shipping & Handling: $4.49
Gold Box Discount: -$2.35
Super Saver Discount: -$4.49
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$4.70

I got the same response - I'm very impressed he not only fixed it ASAP but notified the people who wrote in about it. Nice!

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']Can someone please tell me how to sign up for an ECA membership???[/QUOTE]

What's the problem? Is it not providing the link for checkout like it has occasionally in the past? I had that problem when I signed up a few weeks ago. I had to wait 2 or 3 days before they fixed it. If that is the problem then try emailing them. If you aren't even that far along yet, then, well, I refer you to the OP ;).

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']I just don't understand how it's asking for my site name and everything, I don't have a damn site or business.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Are you trying to like, sign up with the eca as a business?

http://www.theeca.com/user/register

Username
Password
Email

Home Address

optional survey questions

You're done.

so maybe this isn't the best place for this.... but since goldbox and eca go so well together... I'm wondering if anyone has seen any of the following in their goldbox.

Left 4 Dead 2
Tekken 6 bundle or standalone
Guitar Hero 5
Modern Warfare 2

Been trying to get these in there for a few weeks... just wondering if maybe they're flagged to not appear.

oh something else on a side note since I know a lot of people in this thread preordered Wii Sports Resort. I received this in an email from amazon this morning

During a recent review of your order, we noticed that we now offer a
lower price on "Wii Sports Resort" than at the time you
placed your order.

We value your business and have requested a refund of $2.50 to your
credit card. This amount reflects the difference between the price
you were charged and the current, lower price.

Now I never asked for a refund, knowing their policy I'd never even thought about it. Just thought some people might find that interesting

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']I didn't recieve an email...maybe thats the problem.[/QUOTE]
You can try creating a yahoo email account change that to your email address under your member info then click resend validation, only thing is if your a student (5 off) your not going to get the discount. Some email services must auto delete the eca message thinking its spam, but yahoo will allow it through thats what I had to do to pay and then change it back to my normal email addy.

My college, a community college, doesn't even give e-mail addresses anymore and I don't know what mine was if I ever had one. So $20 for 10% off??? YEA RIGHT!!! I wouldn't do that in a million years. You'd have to buy 4 full price games to break even or take off a dollar or 2 from your purchases. That to me isn't worth it considering how many other stores have better deals at times. If it worked on video game purchases that were used from other people, that'd be different.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']My college, a community college, doesn't even give e-mail addresses anymore and I don't know what mine was if I ever had one. So $20 for 10% off??? YEA RIGHT!!! I wouldn't do that in a million years. You'd have to buy 4 full price games to break even or take off a dollar or 2 from your purchases. That to me isn't worth it considering how many other stores have better deals at times. If it worked on video game purchases that were used from other people, that'd be different.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... There's no way I can possibly make this work out for me. It's not like I buy games as gifts, or buy more than eight half price games a year or...

WAIT! I DO!

Yeah, I've like paid for mine twice over already and I just signed up about 2 weeks ago. But then again I ordered some big stuff using the trade-in promos too. If I wasn't doing those it probably wouldn't have been worth it. But I have to ask, JohnDoeHoe, why all the fuss about how to sign up if you didn't think it was worth it? The cost and benefit are clearly spelled out in the OP.

[quote name='Afflicted']so maybe this isn't the best place for this.... but since goldbox and eca go so well together... I'm wondering if anyone has seen any of the following in their goldbox.

Left 4 Dead 2
Guitar Hero 5
Modern Warfare 2

Been trying to get these in there for a few weeks... just wondering if maybe they're flagged to not appear.
[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same about Guitar Hero 5. Since it comes out pretty soon I guess I'll give it another few days and then just go ahead and do it anyway. To increase the odds, I just went through my recommendations and rated all the other GH stuff highly. I noticed that while GH Metallica and Smash Hits and even the AC/DC Track pack showed up in the recommendations, GH5 was nohwere to be seen. So maybe it is flagged not to appear - though you'd still think it would show up as a recommendation even if it wasn't allowed to be a Gold Box quick pick. They do want preorders for it, after all ;).

might wanna check and make sure that you don't have GH5 on a wishlist or something. I've had in the top 5 of my recommendations for several weeks.... just hasn't shown up in goldbox.

I was going to sign up, but only for $14.99 since I'm a student. Since I have to pay $20, no way! If being an ECA member had any other benefits on amazon, other than 10% off, that'd be different.

[quote name='Afflicted']might wanna check and make sure that you don't have GH5 on a wishlist or something. I've had in the top 5 of my recommendations for several weeks.... just hasn't shown up in goldbox.[/QUOTE]

No, but I was wondering about that - if they are on your wish list, are they guaranteed not to show up in your quick picks? I have the Metroid Prime Trilogy on there as a test. I really want Other M to show up, though, so I was hoping the connection there would make that more likely.

So today I had some decent stuff. There was NSMB Wii which I preordered as soon as I saw it and and the ECA codes were working again. But I may use another of my $30 off codes on one of the following: Star Ocean 360 ($44.64 after gold box discount) and an upcoming release I hadn't heard of before today, Nostalgia for the DS ($33.24 after gold box discount). I may just bite on Nostalgia. There is very little press about it but it looks like an interesting though rather typical JRPG.

I also have Devil Survivor in there but I had just purchased it (and got it in the mail today in fact) using my wife's gold box quick picks last week. The odd thing there is that it is now more expensive (I got it for $24.22 after gold box + ECA whereas now, via my gold box pick, it would be $25.92). That seems kind of odd - I'm definitely glad I snagged it when I did.

I signed up thru the link in the thread ok, but nowhere can I find where to pay. Am I missing something? I filled out my info and took there survey.

[quote name='Afflicted']Left 4 Dead 2
Guitar Hero 5
Modern Warfare 2[/QUOTE]

MW2 has been in my recommendations for at least a month but hasn't shown up in my gold box. Hopefully, it will show up before the $10 gc promo ends.

[quote name='dmes65']I signed up thru the link in the thread ok, but nowhere can I find where to pay. Am I missing something? I filled out my info and took there survey.[/QUOTE]

E-mail is sent to you to verify/pay. If you didn't get it, try having it resent, check your junk/spam folders or maybe shoot them an e-mail that you didn't get it.

For those having problems finding the checkout. After you verify the email just come back a couple days later. I couldn't figure it out either but their must be some sort of approval period. For some reason they don't have you purchase the membership while you are on the site verifing the email.

On an Amazon note:

Does anyone know if a game appears in your Goldbox and you pass on it, will it ever show up in your Goldbox again?

[quote name='Caddywompus21']
Does anyone know if a game appears in your Goldbox and you pass on it, will it ever show up in your Goldbox again?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I have had Singularity show up at least once a week for about a month or so. It's all very random though. Rock Band: Beatles has been in my recommendations for months now, yet never shows up, but certain things, like Singularity show up ALL the time. Also things I don't have in the recommendations.

[quote name='dvdactor']Yes. I have had Singularity show up at least once a week for about a month or so. It's all very random though. Rock Band: Beatles has been in my recommendations for months now, yet never shows up, but certain things, like Singularity show up ALL the time. Also things I don't have in the recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didn't have my ECA when Wii Sports Resort was in my Gold Box and now I have a $10 off coupon so I was hoping it wasn't a one time deal. And I thought I had the Gold Box figured out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Afflicted']
oh something else on a side note since I know a lot of people in this thread preordered Wii Sports Resort. I received this in an email from amazon this morning

During a recent review of your order, we noticed that we now offer a
lower price on "Wii Sports Resort" than at the time you
placed your order.

We value your business and have requested a refund of $2.50 to your
credit card. This amount reflects the difference between the price
you were charged and the current, lower price.

Now I never asked for a refund, knowing their policy I'd never even thought about it. Just thought some people might find that interesting[/QUOTE]
I got that as well, I couldn't work out where the $2.50 came from, I ordered at $47 and with goldbox and ECA it came out to slightly under $40 total. Not that I'm complaining, a refund is a refund.

Metal Gear Solid Rising is in my Gold Box today. Should I bite on the pre-order price or hope that in a year Amazon will have it for even lower (I doubt it because Metal Gear is such a high profile series)?

[quote name='FurryCurry']Metal Gear Solid Rising is in my Gold Box today. Should I bite on the pre-order price or hope that in a year Amazon will have it for even lower (I doubt it because Metal Gear is such a high profile series)?[/QUOTE]

They have pre-order guarantee so if the price drops, so will the price on your order. Might as well lock in the gold box discount

Just signed up, had a little trouble getting the validation e-mail though with Windows Mail, so I just switched it to my Gmail to active the account. Use it for Halo Wars LE to get it for $30, and plan on using it for Turtle Beach X4s and Modern Warfare 2 soon :)

Sorry if I missed this, but does the 10% come off the original price before any other discounts or credits are used, or does it come off your final cost?

Thanks for your help.

I noticed the original post states that the coupon codes will expire on 9/30? Will they be adding new codes at that time or is the promotion over? I don't want to jump in for a month and then lose out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back