(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
People are looking for codes because the codes that went up Monday were gone within hours and no new ones have been generated. Also Amazon probably doesn't make much or even anything with the code and goldbox. For the first 5-7 years or so Amazon didn't make money at all and was just trying to grow their business and get their name out there.

[quote name='Stele']What corner of your ass did you pull 25 to 30% videogame gross margin from? Retailers use sales as loss leaders to push standard priced products. I'm pretty sure most people here are just after the sales. There will always be people like you trying to justify retailers are making money off heavily discounted items when the math doesn't come close to making sense. Remember the WBShop "sale" a few weeks back when people were raping WBShop for like $5 per blu-ray with free shipping. Some people actually thought WBShop could make a profit from revenue levels like that.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I work for a large television and film studio that has a very active video game studio and I am very familiar with what our consumer product margins are to distributors and to retail. Contrary to your erroneous opinion, every retailer sale is not a loss leader. Certainly, Black Friday sales tend to be that way, but Amazon giving people 10% off a game is not a loss leader. Gross margin on games for Amazon and every other big retail chain is a minimum of 25% and usually closer to 30%. On music games with instruments, it's as large as 40%. Obviously, once you factor in overhead, staff, warehousing, discounts, damage allowances, free shipping, etc.., that margin goes down to a 5% or less net, but it's still not a loss as you are claiming.

The WB Shop sale clearly didn't make them any money if they really were selling Blu Rays for $5 with free shipping. We can't even get bulk replication and packaging of Blu Rays for less than a few bucks each and all of our stuff is ordered in the tens of thousands of units. Also, we have residual responsibilities and other licensing and authoring costs that push the actual cost per unit much higher than $5 each. Clearly, that sale was a huge loss leader or maybe just a loss.

[quote name='Muthafodder']For people wanting codes...they are available on ECA...JOIN[/QUOTE]

*The ECA is currently working with Amazon on getting the codes back online. Please hang in there and our apologies for the delay*

No they aren't available....

LAML-5KQMLJ-LF5Y4V

Code from the previous batch. Had one left and didn't even know. I already ordered all my pre-orders so enjoy to whoever gets it.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, I work for a large television and film studio that has a very active video game studio and I am very familiar with what our consumer product margins are to distributors and to retail. Contrary to your erroneous opinion, every retailer sale is not a loss leader. Certainly, Black Friday sales tend to be that way, but Amazon giving people 10% off a game is not a loss leader. Gross margin on games for Amazon and every other big retail chain is a minimum of 25% and usually closer to 30%. On music games with instruments, it's as large as 40%. Obviously, once you factor in overhead, staff, warehousing, discounts, damage allowances, free shipping, etc.., that margin goes down to a 5% or less net, but it's still not a loss as you are claiming.

The WB Shop sale clearly didn't make them any money if they really were selling Blu Rays for $5 with free shipping. We can't even get bulk replication and packaging of Blu Rays for less than a few bucks each and all of our stuff is ordered in the tens of thousands of units. Also, we have residual responsibilities and other licensing and authoring costs that push the actual cost per unit much higher than $5 each. Clearly, that sale was a huge loss leader or maybe just a loss.[/QUOTE]

i disagree, think about lionhead games and plenty of other private owned video game stores that have been on this board that have either closed up shop.

[quote name='Stele']Wow...so what you're saying is Amazon has a time machine where if they executed a promotion that didn't make money...they'll go back in time and just never have done it? Do you realize how idiotic you sound? With your logic, no big business would ever fail.[/QUOTE]

No, fuckhead, I'm saying that Amazon has a number of executives and accountants who are being paid a lot of money to analyze what the company can do to bring in more profit and increase revenue, and that I'm pretty sure that those people would have put a whole hell of a lot of time and effort into analyzing the relative gains and losses of a deal like this before they would have even offered it. People who, unlike you, have been to business school.

You clearly do not understand how loss leaders work. This was never a loss leader, because issuing an offer that is both indefinite in length and repeatable over multiple purchases wouldn't make sense as a loss leader. Furthermore, loss leaders only work if they bring in people who are going to buy other products, and there's no guarantee (or even likelihood, given the way the site's laid out) that people who buy games from Amazon are even ever going to look at anything other than games on the site. Trust me, they're well aware of all of that.

If you want an example of an Amazon loss leader -- the trade-in offers were (probably) a loss leader. They were limited to one per household, they were offered for a limited (and pre-defined) period of time, and, if you've noticed, they scaled them back and then stopped offering them once they felt their trade-in business had become a bit more established. None of those criteria match the ECA offer.

I'm not saying that no business has ever made a mistake, or even that Amazon hasn't made mistakes. But I'm pretty sure they went into this offer well aware of exactly what they were doing, and they're seeing exactly the results they were hoping for. If they've made any mistake in this, it is, as I said before, allowing stacking, but that's relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

Then again, I'm pretty sure you're just trolling at this point. You can't be this dense.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']i disagree, think about lionhead games and plenty of other private owned video game stores that have been on this board that have either closed up shop.[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy, though. First of all, those stores were not buying in nearly the volume that Amazon buys in, and more volume nearly always means lower prices. Secondly, they were likely not buying them nearly as directly as Amazon does. Small retailers have to go through a supply chain, generally involving one (or more) distributors, all of whom are taking a cut and adding to the cost the store pays. Again, because of volume, Amazon is able to get much of what it sells direct from the suppliers and cut out all of those middlemen. Finally, those smaller stores have all of the costs of operating storefronts, which Amazon bypasses by selling entirely online. All of this means that Amazon is able to sell at lower prices than these smaller stores without losing the profit margin. So no, it's not really comparable at all.

Double confirmation you are one hell of a knucklehead. I am a professional accountant and I work for one of the four largest auditing firms in the world and I can tell you not a single soul in Amazon expected their one-time use codes which they probably allocated for an entire quarter to be used up in a matter of days. Also, you don't learn jack in business school, jackass. The ones that make it to the M7 schools do it for the connections and the rest are simply wasting their time.
This was never a loss leader, because issuing an offer that is both indefinite in length and repeatable over multiple purchases wouldn't make sense as a loss leader.
It's not indefinite, is it? It ran out and it's not being automatically replenished. Guess those amazing businessmen and accountants that you hold on a pedestal (which is hilarious beyond description btw) are re-evaluating their infallible and amazingly profitable promotion, no?
---
Obviously, once you factor in overhead, staff, warehousing, discounts, damage allowances, free shipping, etc.., that margin goes down to a 5% or less net, but it's still not a loss as you are claiming.
People who have ECA accounts have been using these codes on "every" single Amazon videogame order. So, in actuality, Amazon is taking a 10% haircut on their selling price on "every single videogame" for this class of customers. So unless you are arguing that Amazon can sustain their margins by selling all of their games at a 10% discount to their normal price "all the time," this is very much a losing proposition in the long run. Which is why I see Amazon discontinuing these codes.

The WB Shop sale clearly didn't make them any money if they really were selling Blu Rays for $5 with free shipping. We can't even get bulk replication and packaging of Blu Rays for less than a few bucks each and all of our stuff is ordered in the tens of thousands of units. Also, we have residual responsibilities and other licensing and authoring costs that push the actual cost per unit much higher than $5 each. Clearly, that sale was a huge loss leader or maybe just a loss.
WBShop (and many people here are familiar with that "sale") wasn't trying to sell blu-rays for $5/piece (some of which were TV or multiple movie sets). They had a glitchy website that allowed an insane amount of coupon stacking. Yet, many people tried to rationalize after the fact that WBShop would be profitable by simply driving heavy sales volume (as if sales was some disembodied entity that had nothing to do with "cost of sales") and therefore can't possibly not be profitable.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Yeah, but it just makes NO fuckING SENSE. You're not doing anyone a service. You're taking more codes than you need, you're only allowed one per batch...so you end up giving the ones you hoarded to random people. How is that any different than just taking 1 and letting some random person legitimately gain a code on their own from ECA?[/QUOTE]

How come this post wasnt censored? And no, Im not the first to quote it.

Also, I fall into the category that does not believe that Amazon could be making much (if any) money from this promotion.

The tension is killing me. I want to order Red Faction sometime around yesterday! Just tell me when! Or if! Or how! I come back after a few weeks and this freebie madness goes on? What's the deal, world?

According to some posts on the GAF, the Amazon issue will be resolved in 1-2 weeks. In addition, ECA will be assigning multi-use coupon codes. :applause:

No more sweating!

edit: However.... Anyone that horded codes (if that was possible), hook me up. I need Beatles Rock Band.

Last post on this, then I'm done. You can wander off to the corner and talk to yourself if you must.

[quote name='Stele']I am a professional accountant[/QUOTE]

Funny, I think I said that they had accountants working for them. Maybe you are an accountant (I won't assume one way or the other, though your apparent lack of understanding of net margin vs. gross margin makes me question it), but even so, what makes you assume that you're more qualified to analyze Amazon's business than Amazon's accountants are?

[quote name='Stele']I can tell you not a single soul in Amazon expected their one-time use codes which they probably allocated for an entire quarter to be used up in a matter of days.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you are failing in the reading comprehension department, because it has been said multiple times that this set of codes was given to the ECA as a quick back-up batch to fill the gap. It was never intended to be the allocation for the entire next quarter. In fact, we don't actually know how many they were given. But they likely didn't expect them to last past the end of this current quarter regardless.

[quote name='Stele']It's not indefinite, is it? It ran out and it's not being automatically replenished.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is indefinite, because the offer has been running for a good period of time, they've never set an end date, and they have replenished the codes multiple times now (even when they've run out early before). Even if the offer were to be suddenly cut off tomorrow, it would still have been indefinite for the period of time in which it ran. Loss leaders are run as "offer good until," not as "until further notice."

Maybe you're new enough to this that you haven't picked up on it yet, but there have been delays (and people crying that the sky was falling) every time the codes have run out; replenishment hasn't just happened instantly and automatically. And then, in about a week or so, they've replenished them. It was actually pretty surprising that they replenished them as quickly as they did this time around. It wouldn't surprise me if, between the problems with the codes this time and how quickly they ran out, it takes them a bit longer to replenish them again, but I've been given no reason (other than your paranoia -- sorry, not buying into it) to believe that they won't.

[quote name='Stele']People who have ECA accounts have been using these codes on "every" single Amazon videogame order.[/QUOTE]

Right, because Amazon knowingly and intentionally allowed it. Your point?

[quote name='Stele']So unless you are arguing that Amazon can sustain their margins by selling all of their games at a 10% discount to their normal price "all the time," this is very much a losing proposition in the long run.[/QUOTE]

And why not? One of the popular analogies for the ECA has been AAA. Hotels have been offering 10% (or more) discounts to AAA members for years, despite the fact that AAA has a huge membership and all of those people use their discounts all of the time. For that matter, retailers like Barnes and Noble, GameStop, FYE, etc. all have membership programs in which they offer similar discounts -- you guessed it, all of the time. It's not an unprecedented model. Or do you think they're all taking continual losses too?

If anything, profitability in this model depends upon increased sales. If (for example) your gross margin is 20%, and you offer a 10% discount (i.e. take a 50% hit on your gross margin), you're counting on the fact that your sales will more than double due to the offer to make up the difference and come out ahead -- i.e. that you'll more than make up for lower profits on individual items with an increase in volume. By all estimation, if that's what they're doing, the fact that they keep running out of codes likely means that it's been an overwhelming success (unless, of course, the majority of those sales would have been to Amazon anyway, but that's doubtful). I know that, in the fairly short time that I've been a member, I've bought four games from them that I probably would have bought somewhere else otherwise (and will continue to do so for as long as the discount is offered to me), and we've had similar testimony here from other people. Assuming that they're not taking a loss on every sale, that's all profit that they would not have made without the discount.

Your argument only works if they're actually taking losses on the deal, and you have not provided any real evidence (only your own guesswork) to back up your claim that they are. So I'm sticking to my opinion that they know what they're doing and you don't have a clue.

[quote name='Stele']

People who have ECA accounts have been using these codes on "every" single Amazon videogame order. [/QUOTE]

Actually, I've bought 2 games already this year without the discount. Both occasions were because they ran out of codes and the games were gifts for people. So I couldn't wait for the codes to replenish.

[quote name='Stele']Double confirmation you are one hell of a knucklehead. I am a professional accountant and I work for one of the four largest auditing firms in the world and I can tell you not a single soul in Amazon expected their one-time use codes which they probably allocated for an entire quarter to be used up in a matter of days. Also, you don't learn jack in business school, jackass. The ones that make it to the M7 schools do it for the connections and the rest are simply wasting their time.

It's not indefinite, is it? It ran out and it's not being automatically replenished. Guess those amazing businessmen and accountants that you hold on a pedestal (which is hilarious beyond description btw) are re-evaluating their infallible and amazingly profitable promotion, no?
---

People who have ECA accounts have been using these codes on "every" single Amazon videogame order. So, in actuality, Amazon is taking a 10% haircut on their selling price on "every single videogame" for this class of customers. So unless you are arguing that Amazon can sustain their margins by selling all of their games at a 10% discount to their normal price "all the time," this is very much a losing proposition in the long run. Which is why I see Amazon discontinuing these codes.

WBShop (and many people here are familiar with that "sale") wasn't trying to sell blu-rays for $5/piece (some of which were TV or multiple movie sets). They had a glitchy website that allowed an insane amount of coupon stacking. Yet, many people tried to rationalize after the fact that WBShop would be profitable by simply driving heavy sales volume (as if sales was some disembodied entity that had nothing to do with "cost of sales") and therefore can't possibly not be profitable.[/QUOTE]

You are mixing two completely different models. WB Shop was selling stuff at a clear loss and it was a mistake. Amazon is not selling anything at a loss with the ECA discount. They are simply cutting their gross margin from 30% down to 20%. It's not like this just started happening this week. They have been doing it for months now and Amazon being one of the smartest and most adaptable companies in the world could have stopped the promotion instantly if they were loosing money.

I am in fact arguing that selling to a group of customers who would not ordinarily buy the item from Amazon but for the 10% discount is in fact a sustainable and profitable business model. These are entirely new customers buying additional product. Heck, in my own case, I have literally doubled my Amazon spending in the last six months and all I really got was an average of $5-$6 off most full price games.

So, just to be clear, when the Amazon codes come back, you will admit that you were completely wrong and leave the board for good?

This has probably been answered already, but I can't wade through the "OH NOEZ - Amazon is loosing monies!!!" debate any more to find it.

The ECA codes are good for all "games-related purchases" - does this include consoles themselves? Thanks much!

[quote name='lolmark']According to some posts on the GAF, the Amazon issue will be resolved in 1-2 weeks. In addition, ECA will be assigning multi-use coupon codes. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Some posts where? :whistle2:k

Arcane, I’m a busy person and responding to an internet warm body should be pretty low on my priority list in the middle of the day, but here’s what I’m going to leave you with. You have no idea what Amazon’s gross margin is on videogames except for a whimsical figure you have adopted to anchor your BS. Your assumptions of volume driven profitability are also laughable at best because you are literally making crap up – assuming a 20% gross margin across the board (which is fantasy since a lot of the games purchased here are already heavily discounted), a 10% discount would require twice the sales. Then there’s people playing with quick picks, gold box and the ECA taking the discount off the original price as opposed to the discount price and we’re looking at 3 times greater than normal volume for any individual title in order to reach the same profitability. You don’t grasp that an online discount retailer’s cost model is not even remotely comparable to the examples you listed, but it’s going to take too long to explain why so I won’t bother. Now as for big companies knowing what they’re doing, you clearly have never worked for one or examined their books. Big companies are dysfunctional unless proven otherwise is my experience. The left hand doesn’t have a clue what the right hand is doing until the crap hits the fan.
Heck, in my own case, I have literally doubled my Amazon spending in the last six months and all I really got was an average of $5-$6 off most full price games.

So, just to be clear, when the Amazon codes come back, you will admit that you were completely wrong and leave the board for good?

Using your own fantastical margin estimates, if you have doubled your spending and Amazon has a gross margin of 20% on all videogames titles (not going to happen here since a lot of games are already discounted to begin with), then they are exactly back to where they were. Maybe you should quadruple your spending, then maybe you can prove your point. Not that it really matters, I probably have about 30 posts or so since I registered in 2007. I’m guessing you have hundreds of times more. If it came to a day when I cared if I would have to “leave” here or not then I would need to undergo some serious self-reflection on how I’m spending my time.

[quote name='Stele']Arcane, I’m a busy person and responding to an internet warm body should be pretty low on my priority list in the middle of the day, but here’s what I’m going to leave you with. You have no idea what Amazon’s gross margin is on videogames except for a whimsical figure you have adopted to anchor your BS. Your assumptions of volume driven profitability are also laughable at best because you are literally making crap up – assuming a 20% gross margin across the board (which is fantasy since a lot of the games purchased here are already heavily discounted), a 10% discount would require twice the sales. Then there’s people playing with quick picks, gold box and the ECA taking the discount off the original price as opposed to the discount price and we’re looking at 3 times greater than normal volume for any individual title in order to reach the same profitability. You don’t grasp that an online discount retailer’s cost model is not even remotely comparable to the examples you listed, but it’s going to take too long to explain why so I won’t bother. Now as for big companies knowing what they’re doing, you clearly have never worked for one or examined their books. Big companies are dysfunctional unless proven otherwise is my experience. The left hand doesn’t have a clue what the right hand is doing until the crap hits the fan.

Using your own fantastical margin estimates, if you have doubled your spending and Amazon has a gross margin of 20% on all videogames titles (not going to happen here since a lot of games are already discounted to begin with), then they are exactly back to where they were. Maybe you should quadruple your spending, then maybe you can prove your point. Not that it really matters, I probably have about 30 posts or so since I registered in 2007. I’m guessing you have hundreds of times more. If it came to a day when I cared if I would have to “leave” here or not then I would need to undergo some serious self-reflection on how I’m spending my time.[/QUOTE]

Did you do that on purpose? Way to be an ass. Here you go Arcane... Just so you don't have to waste any more effort on this guy.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Did you do that on purpose? Way to be an ass. Here you go Arcane... Just so you don't have to waste any more effort on this guy.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I already said that I'm not responding to him any further, and I'm sticking to that. If they let him into accounting school without having taken ECON 101 first, I'm not going to be the one to help him get caught up. :lol:

[quote name='Stele']Arcane, I’m a busy person and responding to an internet warm body should be pretty low on my priority list in the middle of the day, but here’s what I’m going to l... blah blah blah .....y time.[/QUOTE]

TL;DR

Contribution to thread = 0

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.

[quote name='arcane93']Haha, I already said that I'm not responding to him any further, and I'm sticking to that. If they let him into accounting school without having taken ECON 101 first, I'm not going to be the one to help him get caught up. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Some people will never admit they're wrong. No point in wasting time on a dead argument. :whee:

Since the codes are still down can anyone PM me one? I have FFXIII Versus in my quick picks and I really want to preorder it. Amazon finally puts stuff I want in quick picks when the codes are gone =x

Edit - Got a code, thanks Lucian!

Man, I just signed up for this not knowing the Amazon codes were unavailable right now. If anyone has a code they could spare, I would really appreciate it.

This is the most ridiculous argument. Amazon chooses to give out these codes and has done so for a long time. Amazon knows their own profit margin's and I'm sure they have considered them when providing codes to ECA. As we now have seen, Amazon has the ability to limit them to one per account or not and in the past they have chosen not to do so. There is no mistake taking place on Amazon's part and I'm sure they are enjoying the added business or they would stop the promo. I'm glad we are all being advised on Amazon's behalf by a CAG accountant, but I fail to see the point.

[quote name='jack612']Nah, I used the Game Informer code[/QUOTE]
The correct response was, "Yes. Why, is there some promotion on?"

[quote name='Green Card200']Damn the GI code =([/QUOTE]

Seriously...

I guess the freeloaders found the place to beg for codes. :lol: I bet nobody's handing them out over at the "Free ECA" thread. Snap & Stele should head over there to continue to talk nonsense to each other.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Seriously...

I guess the freeloaders found the place to beg for codes. :lol: I bet nobody's handing them out over at the "Free ECA" thread. Snap & Stele should head over there to continue to talk nonsense to each other.[/QUOTE]
I wonder how many of the "freeloaders" sold codes on eBay; helping lead to our current lack of codes.
It'd be a nice gesture if the ECA extended paid memberships a year. I doubt it'll happen but it'd be nice.:roll:

[quote name='Vader582']It'd be a nice gesture if the ECA extended paid memberships a year. I doubt it'll happen but it'd be nice.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought, if even for a few months. It'd be better than nothing.

[quote name='jacks81x']Actually, I've bought 2 games already this year without the discount. Both occasions were because they ran out of codes and the games were gifts for people. So I couldn't wait for the codes to replenish.[/QUOTE]
Enough said.

I still am wondering what the hell they were thinking about when they decided to advertise a completely free year of Amazon 10% off games ECA with a unlimited code and didn't expect this to happen.

I signed up just a few days before the free membership promotion, which didn't bother me that much at the time, because I actually don't mind giving the ECA a little money.

Of course, now that I'm getting boned out of my codes, I'm very upset about the free membership promotion and I don't think it's very fair. Oh well, that's life I guess.

Any codes you saved from the last batch are now working, even if you already used one. No new codes available yet, but seems like they're working on it at least.

Damnit, I finally get my Amazon gift card in and now the damn codes are down. Anyone want to spare one to a paying member?

Thanks SmileyMcSmiles

[quote name='reddjoey']Damnit, I finally get my Amazon gift card in and now the damn codes are down. Anyone want to spare one to a paying member?[/QUOTE]

I do. I'll flow one to you by taking your word as a paying member by the honor system. :)

Check your PM in a sec...

I would trade one(maybe 2) if someone here preorders Ratchet and Clank on Gamecrazy and gives me the preorder bonus which is an Avatar for Home.

Anyhow since my codes werent working, I sent an email to CS and they added the code to my order of GOW collection.

[quote name='darknight88']I would trade one(maybe 2) if someone here preorders Ratchet and Clank on Gamecrazy and gives me the preorder bonus which is an Avatar for Home.

Anyhow since my codes werent working, I sent an email to CS and they added the code to my order of GOW collection.[/QUOTE]

Come on man...if you have extras, help fellow CAGers out who are in need. Not cool to use extra codes as bargaining chips.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I do. I'll flow one to you by taking your word as a paying member by the honor system. :)

Check your PM in a sec...[/QUOTE]

Big thanks to SmileyMcSmiles.

I paid right before the free people overran it. I'd happily pay again, but we all know why the Amazon codes are broken. That and the ridiculousness after frustrated me.

Will pay it forward

The ECA and Amazon just need to apply discounts on a per account basis and get rid of the codes entirely. This system is incredibly flawed. Codes on eBay = not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back