(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Abandon the GB 5% if you can get 30% by canceling your old order. I would not email CS about this under any circumstances.

[quote name='Killrig']Abandon the GB 5% if you can get 30% by canceling your old order. I would not email CS about this under any circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose you're right about the 30%. I may actually be able to do that...
I do believe changing the name of this site to "Paranoid Ass Gamer" would be appropriate at this point.

[quote name='Killrig']Abandon the GB 5% if you can get 30% by canceling your old order. I would not email CS about this under any circumstances.[/QUOTE]

This. Do not call. Do not email. The ECA promo is special arrangement between Amazon and ECA outside of the usual Amazon promos, and since the Outsourced CSRs follow a script, if you make them deviate from the script (contact supervisors, make them apply "workarounds" etc), you're going to open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

It's not paranoia, it's common sense.

[quote name='Oceaniax']In the past i've called a CS rep over the phone to attempt to get them to apply a single ECA coupon to a goldbox preorder (When I had first joined the ECA months ago). They denied my request, telling me that once an order was shipped the CS reps were unable to apply codes to an order. Ultimately after a little complaining instead of applying the code he did a workaround where he just lowered the price of the product by the same amount I would have been saving and we called it even.

I don't know if he was telling the truth, but for what's it worth, there you go.[/QUOTE]

Well it makes sense. Why should they change your order price if the thing was shipped? At that point, its up to you to return and re-order if you don't like the price you locked in before shipping.

The codes are good for one use per member per code per 24 hour period
Does this mean after you generate a code it expires in 24 hours, or can you hold on to the code and use it later?

[quote name='kodave']Well it makes sense. Why should they change your order price if the thing was shipped? At that point, its up to you to return and re-order if you don't like the price you locked in before shipping.[/QUOTE]

Ack, sorry, wrong wording. Didn't mean shipped, meant "placed". The order I was talking about was a preorder that hadn't been shipped yet.

[quote name='gunm']This. Do not call. Do not email. The ECA promo is special arrangement between Amazon and ECA outside of the usual Amazon promos, and since the Outsourced CSRs follow a script, if you make them deviate from the script (contact supervisors, make them apply "workarounds" etc), you're going to open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

It's not paranoia, it's common sense.[/QUOTE]

Actually you are incorrect. Unless you have some sort of evidence other than CSRs randomly just not allowing people to apply promos everything I have seen says you are just wrong. It IS paranoia. Common sense really does not mean, "assume things about a situation to be true with no real reason to do so."

I'd rather not get into an argument about CSR stuff with ECA but it seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry has an opinion whether it's helpful or (in most cases) not.

I think less than half of the people who replied to my original question actually tried to give an answer and the rest simply made posts that were unfounded and not in the spirit of helping other CAGs.

Ugh...seriously. You don't talk about this kind of stuff with them if it isn't intentional. How can ANYONE not just now that instinctively?

I emailed CS about getting the new # code to my Borderlands pre-order. They didn't reply for over 24 hours, so I sent another.

This morning, I woke up to two emails. One CS rep took $10 off Borderlands price, making to $43.99 (from $53.99) and the other just applied the code making it a total of 30% off.

So I got Borderlands for $43.99 - 30% off = $30.793 = $30.79~

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ugh...seriously. You don't talk about this kind of stuff with them if it isn't intentional. How can ANYONE not just know that instinctively?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

It's especially unnecessary considering as long as none of the items have shipped, you can re-do the order yourself.

Regarding this "Contacting CS" stuff. I really want RDD- but i'm going to leave it alone, since I can afford to wait a week with this type of discount.

Let it go...

[quote name='RedGamer']I emailed CS about getting the new # code to my Borderlands pre-order. They didn't reply for over 24 hours, so I sent another.

This morning, I woke up to two emails. One CS rep took $10 off Borderlands price, making to $43.99 (from $53.99) and the other just applied the code making it a total of 30% off.

So I got Borderlands for $43.99 - 30% off = $30.793 = $30.79~[/QUOTE]

By emailing them you have opened a can of worms that you don't...oh wait...nevermind it worked just fine...

[quote name='sabanoo']By emailing them you have opened a can of worms that you don't...oh wait...nevermind it worked just fine...[/QUOTE]

Both you and Redgamer missed the point. There's no need to contact CS when you can re-do the order yourself, without putting a red flag on the order.

[quote name='gunm']Both you and Redgamer missed the point. There's no need to contact CS when you can re-do the order yourself, without putting a red flag on the order.[/QUOTE]

This, no one denied that they wouldn't do it. You obviously don't give a crap about potentially alerting them of this so send your e-mail and enjoy your additional $3 you saved by not reordering.

[quote name='gunm']Both you and Redgamer missed the point. There's no need to contact CS when you can re-do the order yourself, without putting a red flag on the order.[/QUOTE]

There's really no point in arguing as it doesn't get anyone anywhere so...OK, you win. Can we move on?

For anyone still wondering about the 30% ECA I've already had an order ship today with the discount so they don't seem to be doing anything about it at the moment...I would think this would push the ECA/Amazon to get codes tied to accounts so this won't happen again but I'll certainly take the discount while it's there.

I believe that is incorrect because they are talking about getting the discount applied to pre-ordered quick picks items. If they redo it, they will lose that particular 5% (although gaining a new 10% off).

You missed the point, at least for my order, GunM.

Borderlands was $53.99 when I ordered it. It is now $59.99.

I don't plan on losing out on that $6. It totally nulls the point of stacking a third ECA code.

[quote name='nbballard']Amazon has probably already gotten a dozen calls from SD users today... It's just a matter of principle.[/QUOTE]

Lol...I actually laughed at that one. You're probably 100% correct there. I say we, as CAGs, band together and just blame SD users instead if something goes wrong. Then everybody is happy....sort of.

[quote name='ipsum']Which got me wondering... since it's possible to cancel a preorder and have those codes return to the cart, would one be able to purchase a game and preorder another in one purchase, then cancel the preorder and have the codes stay in the cart?[/QUOTE]
No, as I stated once an order ships the code will have been exhausted.

[quote name='sabanoo']There's really no point in arguing as it doesn't get anyone anywhere so...OK, you win. Can we move on?

For anyone still wondering about the 30% ECA I've already had an order ship today with the discount so they don't seem to be doing anything about it at the moment...I would think this would push the ECA/Amazon to get codes tied to accounts so this won't happen again but I'll certainly take the discount while it's there.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that brother! ;)

[quote name='RedGamer']You missed the point, at least for my order, GunM.

Borderlands was $53.99 when I ordered it. It is now $59.99.

I don't plan on losing out on that $6. It totally nulls the point of stacking a third ECA code.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I've currently got it at $43.19 with 2XECA but would love to get another 10% off.

However, even though it worked for you, I'm also of the opinion that isn't worth the risk of somehow alerting a CSR to the stacked codes. I'd guess that risk is very, very small but it is at least a possibility.

Hopefully they will just drop it back down to $53.99 prior to release so I won't be tempted to email about it.

I don't think Amazon actually cancels open orders except in the case of an actual pricing error in their catalog. Even in that case, they may not care if it's small enough-- I preordered Ar tonelico II for PS2 when Amazon thought the MSRP was $29.99, and the nothing happened to the order after Amazon corrected it to $39.99. So I would be very surprised if any of these 20-30% stacked orders don't go through. What I will not be surprised to see is Amazon fixing these codes so they don't stack together, and actually expire when they're supposed to. But we may as well get in on the extra savings while we can.

[quote name='Moravagine'] Hopefully they will just drop it back down to $53.99 prior to release so I won't be tempted to email about it.[/QUOTE]

Sure hope so! I can't really complain considering my copy is coming in at 59$ minus 30%, but it'd be that much more awesome.

I'm pretty sure Amazon is already aware of stacked codes.

Guys, it's been over a week of codes being stackable (whether double or thrice)

There have been likely -hundreds- of emails from CAG's/Slickdealers/Others contacting a CSR to stack another code to a pre-order or order.

Amazon is likely aware and if the ECA -isn't- aware, I'd say they weren't even trying.

I'm certain the ECA is aware, and I'm pretty certain Amazon is too.

Moravagine, I'd suggest just doing it. Savings are savings. And this is not return fraud, it's just working the system. -Perfectly- legal and within the boundaries.

Ok I got a noob Q and its probably been answered. If you get ticked about it, just ignore my post.

If I put 2+ games on cart and check out, I cant get release date shipping correct on any of them? Only if I were to make separate orders of one game each? I read something about it but didnt pay attention since I never make mutiple orders but Im thinking of ordering F3:GOTY and Demon's Souls together but I'd like for each game to be sent out day of release. Ideas?

ECA has been aware of the issue for quite a while and they're trying to figure out the magnitude of the problem. I haven't heard anything about any sort of official comment as to the situation, though.

wow. just ordered MUA2 along with pre-orders for AC2, GOW 3, and Alan Wake. stacked an L code, a J code, and a new numbered code somehow. had some gift certificates sitting around, so my total came to $127.80 (in real money) shipped for all 4. hoping the prices come down a bit on those pre-orders to make it even better

[quote name='darknight88']Ok I got a noob Q and its probably been answered. If you get ticked about it, just ignore my post.

If I put 2+ games on cart and check out, I cant get release date shipping correct on any of them? Only if I were to make separate orders of one game each? I read something about it but didnt pay attention since I never make mutiple orders but Im thinking of ordering F3:GOTY and Demon's Souls together but I'd like for each game to be sent out day of release. Ideas?[/QUOTE]
This has been a problem with Demon's Souls off and on it seems. When I tried combining release date games with it, there was a bug where it nullifies release date and forces 2-day shipping only. Then someone claimed it was fixed and for that day I was able to get release date shipping on the same order without issue. Now, it seems the bug is back for whatever reason. Pretty awful since there's no known workaround.

[quote name='RedGamer']Moravagine, I'd suggest just doing it. Savings are savings. And this is not return fraud, it's just working the system. -Perfectly- legal and within the boundaries.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I'm just weighing the relative risk/reward. I've got a ton of pre-orders placed so even the slightest chance of drawing any red flags worries me.

As for you doing being "greedy" and emailing Amazon, I applaud you for getting an even better deal and don't think there is anything wrong with it. Tons of deals here have involved stacking codes so I'm sure why this one is drawing so much misplaced morality. No one seemed to think it was wrong when people were ordering free refurbished PS3's from Gamestop because of a poorly coded buy one used game get one free promotion (although those ended up being canceled).

Will this ruin it for others? I doubt it but, even if it does, how is that different from ANY deal? When a bunch of people flip a game, it invariably drastically lowers the value of the game thereby "depriving" others of the ability to trade it in for that price. Are flippers ruining it for other non-flipping traders?

After following this thread for a few months now, I'd just like to point out how the flow of discussion went from 'stupid hoarders' to 'boy do I feel stupid for not hoarding'.

All is fair in love and war. ;)

I am in need of some games and willing to buy some codes begin with either "J" or "L" at one dollar and fifty cents each or you name the price. Will pay you by non-cc paypal. PM please, Thanks!

I have some J codes laying around. If you have a L code laying around, I'd love one.

Here's a few:
Post if you got them, please.

JTU7-FD8J5N-ADEFWM
JT63-B59ZRH-WQEHAE
JTL9-76R3N6-849XC5

Remember to post if you got it. (and if you have an L code, I wouldn't mind getting one pm'd to me.)

I'm not trading, NBBallard. I was giving them away.

I'm not purchasing nor selling nor giving them for anything else. If I put them in the trading forum, the cut-throats will get them instead of the people that have been wanting them for awhile in this thread.

[quote name='nbballard']The above posts are likely to be deleted. They really need to go in the trading forum (Per the MOD last night).[/QUOTE]
The whole thread is likely to get locked and just start over since the last 10-15 pages pretty much violate this with every post. Too many people just keep posting about it, so I'd hate to be a mod right now.

thanks man, but looks like all been used. Damn, your guys are quick!!

[quote name='RedGamer']I have some J codes laying around. If you have a L code laying around, I'd love one.

Here's a few:
Post if you got them, please.

JTU7-FD8J5N-ADEFWM
JT63-B59ZRH-WQEHAE
JTL9-76R3N6-849XC5

Remember to post if you got it. (and if you have an L code, I wouldn't mind getting one pm'd to me.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nirron']The codes beginning with J's and L's should have stopped working. A lot of times it seems what Amazon means to convey when they say that a code expires by X date is that it must be redeemed by then. I seem to recall people saying they still had their '50% off a game' code working weeks after the coupon technically expired.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jodou']To clarify, any codes redeemed prior to expiration yesterday will remain in your account for use. I can confirm that this morning all my redeemed discounts were still ready and available for use from some canceled orders. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that once a code has been redeemed, the discount is good for life until used in an order that ships.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure. In another thread a CAG says he lost his 50% coupon after cancelling a preorder today. It won't reapply to new orders - ouch! What's different from yesterday when that apparently did work? Well, it's October 1st. Those codes were supposed to expire after Aug 31st. So it could be that Amazon pads the expiration by a month as a courtesy (and maybe to avoid CS issues).

So, if the old codes still come back with cancellations now (and has anyone confirmed this for today?) that may only happen through October - though these codes could be completely different. Just a head's up though. It coudld also be a glitch with that other CAG's order or maybe he isn't applying it to something that qualifies.

[quote name='io']So, if the old codes still come back with cancellations now (and has anyone confirmed this for today?) [/QUOTE]

Since I canceled and made another order no less than an hour ago I can definitely confirm that

A) the "J" codes still return and are valid
B) the "#" codes still return and are valid (duh)
C) The "L" codes are still valid (I didn't have an L code attached to the order I cancelled, but I was able to activate an L code and use it)

[quote name='io']I wouldn't be so sure. In another thread a CAG says he lost his 50% coupon after cancelling a preorder today. It won't reapply to new orders - ouch! What's different from yesterday when that apparently did work? Well, it's October 1st. Those codes were supposed to expire after Aug 31st. So it could be that Amazon pads the expiration by a month as a courtesy (and maybe to avoid CS issues).

So, if the old codes still come back with cancellations now (and has anyone confirmed this for today?) that may only happen through October - though these codes could be completely different. Just a head's up though. It coudld also be a glitch with that other CAG's order or maybe he isn't applying it to something that qualifies.[/QUOTE]
Anything is possible, but I can confirm codes from the first wave (J or L, whatever) are still being applied. Hell, there may even be codes in there that pre-date the whole stacking fiasco since I've done lots of canceling to consolidate orders.

No more begging/offering of codes. We're done with that. Cheapy closed the thread that sprouted from the begging this morning, so I'd take that as a sign we're done with it.

As stated above, no more begging/offering of codes.

If I preorder a couple of games in one order, will I be able to change their shipping from two-day to release day when they become available? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Hostile']If I preorder a couple of games in one order, will I be able to change their shipping from two-day to release day when they become available? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has some weird hang-ups when you order everything in one go. Honestly the chances are very slim. I have one big order going, with several games on it currently eligible for release day shipping, however I'm not given the option to choose (1 day, 2 day, or ground are available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back