(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flameofdoom666']How do you enter a ECA code on Amazon for a future purchase?[/QUOTE]

You do a pre-order and then cancel it. Edit: Or maybe what jacknicklson says works too -- haven't tried that.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Also, how do you cancel a preorder?[/QUOTE]

You go to your order history, select "View or Change Order" on the order that you want to cancel, and then on the order info screen select "Need to cancel an item?". It will then give you a screen where you can select the item(s) you want to cancel. You don't have to fill out the box that asks for a reason.

I wonder if the new batch will wipe out current promotional codes. I have a 2-stack currently.

EDIT: And my amazon section is currently gone from theeca.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps NOW they're finally taking down that batch of codes. I wondered why they seemed similar and were only down for like two minutes.

[quote name='Justin42']Just got word from the ECA that Amazon has asked them to remove the current batch of codes due to the stacking. People still seeing the link are probably getting it from cache(?).

This should answer the question about if stacking is OK or not.[/QUOTE]

Bummer, but I can't say I'm surprised. Did ECA advise if they were going to bring back any kind of discount via Amazon, or is Amazon going to now provide non-stacking codes?

Are they still trying to get multi-use code/tied-to-account discounts at least?

According to the ECA Forums this is of course as of 9/30/09

Yeah, the downtime window has been shrinking as the two IT teams(ECA/Amazon) are guesstimating growth rates more accurately and managing the process better each time.

But if you didn't see any wording about codes being exhausted it's because it was overnight and staff were sleeping, which as a gamer I use to think was highly overrated, but as a working student realize it's totally necessary for functioning.

Anyway, they usually put wording up on the site as soon as they find out.
http://forums.theeca.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Hm, so they just ran out of codes then? I'm confused. But hopeful.

But mostly confused.

Edit: I'm inclined to believe Justin42's post that ECA has unofficially taken the codes down per Amazon's request. Bummer, although I can't say I'm surprised. Anyone know if they are working on a multi-use solution, or if the codes will come back as non-stacking ones?

[quote name='Galego23']According to the ECA Forums this is of course as of 9/30/09

http://forums.theeca.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but during the downtimes before, the Amazon section wasn't just disappearing entirely, it was simply not providing new codes. So this is different. I, too, am inclined to believe Justin42.

Whatever it is, hopefully they get new codes (in whatever form they take) up soon.

[quote name='gunm']Hm, so they just ran out of codes then? I'm confused. But hopeful.

But mostly confused.

Edit: I'm inclined to believe Justin42's post that ECA has unofficially taken the codes down per Amazon's request. Bummer, although I can't say I'm surprised. Anyone know if they are working on a multi-use solution, or if the codes will come back as non-stacking ones?[/QUOTE]

From the way Justin posted, it seemed like they asked the ECA to take down this batch so that nobody could get any more of the stacking codes, and that they're working to get some non-stacking ones up. Of course the non-stacking codes part is part of my inference. I'm assuming at this point that they quickly took it down so people couldn't get codes rather than just make no new codes generate.

If I have an order with 3 games and each game comes in at different times, doesnt the ECA discount come off when each game bills or all at the end when the last game comes in?

[quote name='stonciddta']If I have an order with 3 games and each game comes in at different times, doesnt the ECA discount come off when each game bills or all at the end when the last game comes in?[/QUOTE]

Separately on each game once shipped.

[quote name='nightmare452']Separately on each game once shipped.[/QUOTE]

Since Amazon no longer supports ECA is it safe to say all future preorders are considered cancelled?

i think assuming that ECA has stopped the Amazon discount completely is jumping the gun. i think it's more likely Amazon or ECA found out about the stacking problem and have taken the batch down until they can find a way to prevent it (maybe finally have one code for every account?)

so people need to calm down until we have some official information.

[quote name='bobright']Since Amazon no longer supports ECA is it safe to say all future preorders are considered cancelled?[/QUOTE]

Where did you get that information?

[quote name='bobright']Since Amazon no longer supports ECA is it safe to say all future preorders are considered cancelled?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Even if, that would be thousands of cancellations.
Wait and see, don't create far fetched conclusion like this without no evidence. Patience until more info gets revealed.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Some idiot created a topic saying that Amazon dropped ECA support[/QUOTE]

That thread seems to have been deleted already. Keep future discussions here.

Edit: use Shrike's link below to discuss the Amazon / ECA issue.

Unless accompanied with an official announcement, the only person I'd trust on CAG to give you non-publicized facts would be this guy. Chicken Little does - wait for it - little.

And I saw that thread got moved and got a nice addition in parentheses. Glad to see both, especially the latter, as it just screamed sensationalist. Anyone looking to the horse's mouth for answers, I suggest monitoring this thread.

Here's the email at which you can contact membership services:

[email protected]

I don't know about you guys, but they should have notified us, especially those who paid earlier, of this change to membership benefits...hell, even insurance companies do this...assuming this in fact is the case.

[quote name='nightmare452']Same as any order. On the last page of the checkout process, there is a box were you can place codes like gift cards or promotions. Place the ECA code there. If your order already shipped or is placed, its too late to place the ECA code (you might email CS but that's extremely YMMV).[/QUOTE]

thank you for your help but i'm actually referring to the game credit amazon gives you for purchasing certain games (ie. uncharted 2 $5, nba 2k10 $10, MW2 $10)

[quote name='dusbbal2008']thank you for your help but i'm actually referring to the game credit amazon gives you for purchasing certain games (ie. uncharted 2 $5, nba 2k10 $10, MW2 $10)[/QUOTE]

The game credit will be in your account, so whatever next game you order, the $ discount from X game will be applied on the next order. Hope that helps. Example: buy NBA 2k10, get $10 credit, now order new game, and get the automatic $10 off that game. No coupon or code required.

[quote name='Nirron']From the way Justin posted, it seemed like they asked the ECA to take down this batch so that nobody could get any more of the stacking codes, and that they're working to get some non-stacking ones up. Of course the non-stacking codes part is part of my inference. I'm assuming at this point that they quickly took it down so people couldn't get codes rather than just make no new codes generate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I suspect this is what's happening now, although there hasn't been an official word from ECA on this just yet.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I don't know about you guys, but they should have notified us, especially those who paid earlier, of this change to membership benefits...hell, even insurance companies do this...assuming this in fact is the case.[/QUOTE]
They have never contacted us about changing promotions because they're subject to change on a whim. Just chill for a bit and wait for ECA to comment on the subject.

[quote name='nightmare452']The game credit will be in your account, so whatever next game you order, the $ discount from X game will be applied on the next order. Hope that helps. Example: buy NBA 2k10, get $10 credit, now order new game, and get the automatic $10 off that game. No coupon or code required.[/QUOTE]

ok thank you for explaining that

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I don't know about you guys, but they should have notified us, especially those who paid earlier, of this change to membership benefits...hell, even insurance companies do this...assuming this in fact is the case.[/QUOTE]

The fact that nothing was sent out or changed on their website is good evidence supporting that it's a temporary issue that'll be resolved in time.

[quote name='Skoad']Remember last time everyone was freaking out over them not having Amazon codes?[/QUOTE]

Correct, this is not the first time something like this happened. Patience while the ECA and Amazon work this out.

Hey everyone, just an update on the current issues:

Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit. They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps and we'll update the benefit section and here on the forums.

Interesting, the word 'reevaluate' is gonna cause a bit of a stir. Utter worse case would be elimination of the codes entirely, but I think real worst case we'll probably see them take down the codes until they have the one-time multi-use codes ready.

Edit: And you know, just for fun, I'd love to see what volume of video game related purchases Amazon was seeing from say, a year ago, compared to the period from when the ECA codes started just up to the point where stacking began. Basically I'd like to see how much (if any) their volume of orders increased due to the standard ECA codes.

[quote name='blissskr']Hey everyone, just an update on the current issues:

Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit. They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps and we'll update the benefit section and here on the forums.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is related/due to all the people who have been stacking codes from different batches?

I find it funny, because the ECA and Amazon only have themselves to blame for A) Implementing such a poor code system in light of B) Hundreds of thousands of new free members, on top of the paid members, hording and abusing the codes.

If Amazon or ECA posted this on FML, I'd click "You deserve it" for sure.

[quote name='guyver2077']so if you still have preorders in and cancel. are the codes still stacking on your account now?[/QUOTE]

Yep but you might want to place some orders to make sure they stick.

As long as they don't cancel current pre-orders I'm fine with whatever they do. I was able to get amazing savings on the 3 games I plan on buying for the rest of the year.

Wow, people sure are freaking out prematurely. This is like the fourth or fifth time they've had downtime and technical issues with the codes. No reason to just assume that this time, it's all over.

That said, I really hope that if they are making changes to the way the codes work in light of the stacking issue, Amazon doesn't try to monkey around with any existing orders.

Man just be patient guys. They'll come back. What ECA should do is make the Gameinformer code invalid already.

Also are 360 XBL 1 year membership covered under the ECA codes? 10% or so is great since I hate paying 50 for online.

[quote name='darknight88']Man just be patient guys. They'll come back. What ECA should do is make the Gameinformer code invalid already.

Also are 360 XBL 1 year membership covered under the ECA codes? 10% or so is great since I hate paying 50 for online.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they aren't covered. I actually need one myself. Amazon has them for $39.99 right now, which looks to be the best deal right now.

Guys, this is a good thing. If they come back, it might be a different "batch" of codes that returns.

You know what that means? Quadruple stacking.

[quote name='xaikou']Anyone have any 'C' or 'L' codes they want to trade for 'J' or '6' code. PM me.[/QUOTE]

Does this count as code-begging???

[quote name='RedGamer']Guys, this is a good thing. If they come back, it might be a different "batch" of codes that returns.

You know what that means? Quadruple stacking.[/QUOTE]
Your the reason these codes aren't here.

[quote name='RedGamer']Guys, this is a good thing. If they come back, it might be a different "batch" of codes that returns.

You know what that means? Quadruple stacking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would be hilarious but no way Amazon and ECA will allow that to happen after taking them down for that reason. Probably going to see one code linked to account as others have mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back