(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xaikou']Anyone have any 'C' or 'L' codes they want to trade for 'J' or '6' code. PM me.[/QUOTE]

You know you can get banned for this right?

That was not smart of you. As a warning from a fellow user, you will be banned for asking for codes from other users. The first post now reads "No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot."

After originally signing up using the GameInformer code and ordering a couple of games, I stopped being able to access the Benefits section of the website last week even though I was logged in. I contacted them and I had to reapply and pay in full to get access again. Maybe they're trying to week out all of the GI members? I gladly payed, but I'm sure many people would bail if they had to fork over the $20.

That's my theory anyways. Hope the codes come back soon.... I need to get my MW2 order in! :D

Existing unused codes should still work, but I wouldn't bother trying to save them at this point as it sounds like they aren't going to bring back any new codes until the stacking issues are recitified. I'd just start applying any unused codes to pre-orders already.

And the reason for the codes being down today was already explained on the previous page.

[quote name='TheSecretBaldwin']After originally signing up using the GameInformer code and ordering a couple of games, I stopped being able to access the Benefits section of the website last week even though I was logged in. I contacted them and I had to reapply and pay in full to get access again. Maybe they're trying to week out all of the GI members? I gladly payed, but I'm sure many people would bail if they had to fork over the $20.

That's my theory anyways. Hope the codes come back soon.... I need to get my MW2 order in! :D[/QUOTE]

Not a bad theory, but I doubt it. It seems that no one has access, even those that paid for the service months ago, such as myself.

Hmm. It seems I can view the page now, but no code is showing up on it.

Can anyone else confirm the same on their end?

Wow I had no idea codes were down. I always get caught at the worst moments. I was just about to pre-order Demon Souls. Now that I can't use a code I'm stuck. This fucking sucks.

It was already explained that ECA removed the codes per Amazon's request due to the code stacking and the code generation exploits.

The promo is currently under review and it's unknown when or in what form the promo with Amazon will be re-instated. A lot of us suspect they will not bring back codes unless they remove the stacking or finally implement the single multi-use code solution.

[quote name='Killrig']Hmm. It seems I can view the page now, but no code is showing up on it.

Can anyone else confirm the same on their end?[/QUOTE]

Yep when I checked about 20 minutes ago it was up but no link to get a code.

[quote name='Killrig']Hmm. It seems I can view the page now, but no code is showing up on it.

Can anyone else confirm the same on their end?[/QUOTE]

Same here

Not surprised the codes are down, especially with all the exploiting users have been doing with the double stack, triple stack.. and the quadruple stack(?).

[quote name='gunm']It was already explained that ECA removed the codes per Amazon's request due to the code stacking and the code generation exploits.

The promo is currently under review and it's unknown when or in what form the promo with Amazon will be re-instated. A lot of us suspect they will not bring back codes unless they remove the stacking or finally implement the single multi-use code solution.[/QUOTE]

NO. This has NOT been explained. People are only guessing.

1. People bitching about the exploiters should shut up. I guarantee most of you would have done the same thing. I thought about making a post saying those assholes ruined it for us all and then realized I might have done the same.

2. It is stupid their taking it down because of exploiters, instead amazon should just cancel all orders that use more then 1 code.

[quote name='WilliamG']NO. This has NOT been explained. People are only guessing.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it HAS been explained, http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672&page=3&highlight=Amazon

And for those of you too lazy to click on the link,

"Hey everyone, just an update on the current issues:

Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit. They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps and we'll update the benefit section and here on the forums." Coming from one of the ECA managers.

Edit: Guess I posted right after you :p oh well lol

[quote name='SimaYi']Nice, triple-stack fucktards and other exploiters have ruined it for the rest of us once again.[/QUOTE]
Intentionally or unintentionally, there was no way to take off the discounts once you applied them. So if you applied another--unknowingly that you already had one (or two, or three...) applied--there was no way to exercise your good-Samaritan-self by removing them in the fairness of love and peace and a greener happier world.

You can always apply credit to things not shipped out or shipping soon. You go to the order page and the button is on the bottom of the page next to the promo box(where you can put gift card codes, but not actual more promo codes, I believe)

Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to blame anyone at this point. I'm sure it could be argued that people were calling or emailing CS for workarounds on the deal too, but regardless of any of that it was something that wasn't intended and was destined for a fix. Some of us are just lucky it happened later rather than sooner. :p

[quote name='PDJ']Intentionally or unintentionally, there was no way to take off the discounts once you applied them. So if you applied another--unknowingly that you already had one (or two, or three...) applied--there was no way to exercise your good-Samaritan-self by removing them in the fairness of love and peace and a greener happier world.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I stumbled into the double stack by accident when trying to adjust one of my orders (cancelled 2 older orders), then just to test out the system I stacked a 3rd code.

There was no way to undo it after that, so I placed my order. Sure- i threw some extra stuff in there, but I didn't go crazy with it.

[quote name='gunm']No, this has been explained. Posted by GypsyFly PMS herself on the ECA forums:

http://forums.theeca.com/showpost.php?p=109766&postcount=22

This was even mentioned two pages ago in this very thread. :/

Edit: no problem PDJ, thanks for backing that up.[/QUOTE]

No, you're still wrong. You're completely guessing. Who knows what this abuse is? For example, there were ways to generate more than 1 code a day if you wanted. Maybe they were fixing that? Until they come out with specifics, I think you can all guess away all you want. To assume is to .....

[quote name='Vortextk']You can always apply credit to things not shipped out or shipping soon. You go to the order page and the button is on the bottom of the page next to the promo box(where you can put gift card codes, but not actual more promo codes, I believe)[/QUOTE]

From the Amazon site on an existing pre-order i have with them:

Want to use a gift card?
Enter code here, then click "Apply":
Note: Promotional certificates and gift cards may be redeemed only when the order is originally placed. Also, you can apply gift card balances only to items listed as "not yet shipped."

This doesn't make sense to me as I'm looking at an order that I had pre-oredered. I mean it is allowing to me to apply a gift card than says you can only do it when the order is originally placed and then says you can apply gift cards to items not yet shipped. So what is it can you or can you not apply gift cards to existing orders that haven't been shipped?

Very confusing.

Now that the Amazon promotional box is still there but has neither code nor code generation, I'm starting to think I may make a correct inference to ECA/Amazon's plans via Justin42's comment.

I do wonder if Amazon is just going to wait a bit for the three sets of stacking codes to fade away, and then post a new batch, or just post a new batch that won't stack with the previous codes (the ones beginning with a 6).

[quote name='MSI Magus']1. People bitching about the exploiters should shut up. I guarantee most of you would have done the same thing. I thought about making a post saying those assholes ruined it for us all and then realized I might have done the same.[/QUOTE]
THAT, is what makes your post fuck, because im not in that category. I myself could have cancelled the half-a-dozen preorders I had before this pile of fuck even started and exploited double/triple-stacks, but chose not to along with many others.

No point in people trying to cover their ass over this, it was bound to happen.

kind of frustrating as I signed up for a ECA membership a while back and by the time I finally had something I wanted to order (demons soul) the codes no longer existed ...

[quote name='Killrig']This post calls out "stacking" specifically: http://forums.theeca.com/showpost.php?p=109772&postcount=25

I'm still not excited about the "one code a day" method, unless I can apply that single code to multiple items. Amazon would be MUCH better off giving everyone a full time solution by associating the ECA discount with Amazon user accounts so they don't have to deal with codes any more.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It seems like tying the two accounts together somehow would make things easier for everyone in the long run. The only problem I see is that some people have more than one Amazon.com account for different quick picks, prime, whatever.

[quote name='Killrig']This post calls out "stacking" specifically: http://forums.theeca.com/showpost.php?p=109772&postcount=25

I'm still not excited about the "one code a day" method, unless I can apply that single code to multiple items. Amazon would be MUCH better off giving everyone a full time solution by associating the ECA discount with Amazon user accounts so they don't have to deal with codes any more.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and do it exactly like they did during the Blu-ray HD-DVD promo price deduction was where for a year you were able to get 10% off hi-def purchases....no code needed.

I'm wondering though...those that triple stacked.....what happens to they're existing orders? I'm wondering if anyone's gonna shed light on that?

[quote name='flatliner718']Exactly, and do it exactly like they did during the Blu-ray HD-DVD promo price deduction was where for a year you were able to get 10% off hi-def purchases....no code needed.

I'm wondering though...those that triple stacked.....what happens to they're existing orders? I'm wondering if anyone's gonna shed light on that?[/QUOTE]

I doubt Amazon will touch them.

Sounds to me like nothing about how the codes were generated changed, but instead it was just a software glitch that allowed them to stack. This probably means that once the new code goes up, any stacking codes left in the account will no longer stack. That's my theory anyways.

[quote name='slickkill77']I doubt Amazon will touch them.[/QUOTE]

thats what i figure....i mean its either that or cancelling them outright...but......that would be if the volume was INSANE. I doubt it reached those levels of stacking

There's now a notice in the Member Benefits Section:

• The resale of ECA member benefits is a breach of the ECA Membership Agreement and will result in the immediate termination of such person's membership without remuneration.
  • The partners below provide the respective discounts, special offers and incentives to ECA members in the way of their choosing and on their own terms. Offers may change without notice and are subject to the sponsor’s discretion. If codes run out, they will be replenished as quickly as possible. We thank you in advance for your patience. For more information, please visit our Forums.
  • We encourage members who enjoy using these benefits to write our partners, thank them for supporting the association and supporting gamers and gaming, and share your experiences with them. Like any other service business, they don’t often hear from customers when things are going well and that feedback can only be good for fostering these and additional partnerships.

I say we write a gigantic CAG love letter to Amazon. Who's in?

[quote name='flatliner718']Exactly, and do it exactly like they did during the Blu-ray HD-DVD promo price deduction was where for a year you were able to get 10% off hi-def purchases....no code needed.

I'm wondering though...those that triple stacked.....what happens to they're existing orders? I'm wondering if anyone's gonna shed light on that?[/QUOTE]
That sounds easy in theory, but altering your system to integrate a third party into the mix isn't always as simple as it sounds :) I would love to see that though

[quote name='ProggleRock']There's now a notice in the Member Benefits Section:

• We encourage members who enjoy using these benefits to write our partners, thank them for supporting the association and supporting gamers and gaming, and share your experiences with them. Like any other service business, they don’t often hear from customers when things are going well and that feedback can only be good for fostering these and additional partnerships.

I say we write a gigantic CAG love letter to Amazon. Who's in?[/QUOTE]

I saw that as well and was actually thinking of sending them an e-mail in light of the stacking situation. I decided I will send them a letter of thanks mainly highlighting that I'm glad they're offering a service like this on top of their already awesome prices and service...and maybe I'll throw in a subtle pleading word or two to put up Metal Gear Solid Rising and Castlevania for the PS3/PC and PS3 respectively.

Is something not working with the ECAs website today ?

Trying to get my code under the amazon section and nothings showing up

lol, I accidently stacked 3 codes because I had 3 orders separate, I decided to cancel one game I no longer wanted (Super Mario Bros Wii, got it cheaper somewhere else) and combine GoW collection and DS...I went to checkout and was like, "WTH? 29 dollars off?"

I thought it was cool, but I knew it would get caught sooner or later by Amazon. I still was just going to get a code everytime I wanted to order something and it just happened I did it on different batches. I'm too lazy to have it happen on purpose.

On a side note though, I'm not sending a thank you message to Amazon because they have currently screwed up one of my orders and my Gift Card amount.

I was supposed to have 148 in GC, and they decided to charge an entire order to my GC and then still charge my debit at the same time. I got them to take off the GC charge, but they still havent refunded my 61 dollars. Let's hope it is resolved this week.

[quote name='dcm1602']Is something not working with the ECAs website today ?

Trying to get my code under the amazon section and nothings showing up[/QUOTE]

You should try reading the last 5 pages.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Emailing Amazon to stack was a pretty boneheaded move for anyone who did so...

Basket_case.gif
[/QUOTE]

wow wtf is that? LOL thanx for the laugh bro.

Amazon's VG sales are surely down quite a bit today ... hope they can get this resolved. Stacking isn't a new phenomenon, what made it become a pandemic was GIMAG/SD/FW effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back