Free FFXI Beta for 360 owners

Eh?
The registration codes that will be issued are for the European (North American) beta test only. They cannot be used for North American (European) service.

Looks like you'll have to ask the clerk to get you this issue from behind the counter.
Q: How many copies of the FINAL FANTASY XI for Xbox 360 beta version are going to be released?
A: The official number will not be released, but enough copies have been prepared so that all people who purchase the XXX issue of the Official Xbox Magazine will be able to obtain one.

Installation was a bitch! It took 2 hours when it was all said and done. One hour to install the game, 20 mins put in personal info and codes, and 45 mins to download updates. To kill time I took a shower and watched "The Man" DVD and it still wasn't done. You guys are in for a treat.

[quote name='deadite76']I read somewhere it hits newstands on the 17th.[/QUOTE]
i also saw this somewhere

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Not exactly free, you still need to buy an $8 issue of OXM, if you're not a subscriber.[/QUOTE]
How long will we be able to play it?

Oh, and if I start an OXM subscription today, will I get it intime?

[quote name='lanleague']How long will we be able to play it?

Oh, and if I start an OXM subscription today, will I get it intime?[/QUOTE]

read the faq, they said no set time yet

This should be hitting the mailboxes of subscribers any day now. I'm looking forward to this since I never played the PS2 or PC versions.

"The registration codes that will be issued are for the European (North American) beta test only. They cannot be used for North American (European) service"

WTF is that about!?:lol:

Edit: never mind, I assume they are saying this code unlocks the demo only and will be shut down once the full game comes out. The wording is a bit odd.....

So this game will be on totally different servers from the PS2 and computer games? Once the real game starts up, will it still be separate?

[quote name='fujishig']So this game will be on totally different servers from the PS2 and computer games? Once the real game starts up, will it still be separate?[/QUOTE]

I read the beta 'world' will be Xbox 360 players only (American, Japanese, and European). Once the full game is released you will be able to join any of the current 'worlds' with PC, and PS2 players.

[quote name='$hady']WTF is that about!?:lol:[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing it's copied and pasted from the European beta site, whose codes were no good for the NA version, they just forgot to switch the words.

Some people are receiving this in their mailboxes today, I however was not one of them.

FFXI is said to be 5 gigs when installed....

I havent had a chance to play it because the registration took a half hour, then its one hour to download the game, then its 30 more minutes to register names and whatnot for the game then you go to play it to find out its another 45 minutes to download more stuff for the game!!! You guys better have a usb kb because you have to type, a lot...

Also you need to find some info on the website for playonline which is a userid, ffx id #and a playonline id#. The game didnt say anything about that so make sure you read the magazine first. Maybe I'll get to play some time...sheesh!

I know its good to have Square on Xbox finally but bringing this PS2 online trash to Live is really crappy so far. Live is all about streamline and this is horrid. The downloading is understandable but the constant registering is ridiculous.

I'll try to get more impression to everyone in the afternoon. Its late and I give up.
:lol: LOL @ gamefaqs

[quote name='Zoglog']hmm, think it's on newsstands yet?[/QUOTE]
Suppose to be out the 17th, which is about right since subscribers get their issues about a week earlier.

orly? well I got my usb keyboard all ready to waste time, but at least I can do it for free now. Oh man it's gonna so be a pain in the ass to start back from scratch esp since I invested 119 playdays in my previous game lol. so 119x24 = omgwtfbbq =/ I hate mmorpgs, I vow never to pay for one again.

But yeah that was in college, I highly doubt I can clock that kind of hours anymore

[quote name='Zoglog']orly? well I got my usb keyboard all ready to waste time, but at least I can do it for free now. Oh man it's gonna so be a pain in the ass to start back from scratch esp since I invested 119 playdays in my previous game lol. so 119x24 = omgwtfbbq =/ I hate mmorpgs, I vow never to pay for one again.

But yeah that was in college, I highly doubt I can clock that kind of hours anymore[/QUOTE]
The demo has been confirmed to support voice chat. The retail might not, since it will be in the same world as the PS2 and PC versions.

[quote name='zewone']The demo has been confirmed to support voice chat. The retail might not, since it will be in the same world as the PS2 and PC versions.[/QUOTE]

They should've kept it Xbox exclusive so you don't have a ton of new people running in with people who have played for a year. The demo will be much better this way and it's free.

I received my OXM today with the FFXI demo disc. It is actually a completely separate disc, so you get two demo discs this month. I'll have to wait a couple hours to try it out though.

[quote name='$hady']They should've kept it Xbox exclusive so you don't have a ton of new people running in with people who have played for a year. The demo will be much better this way and it's free.[/QUOTE]

If they did that you wouldn't have enough people playing to enjoy the game. After lvl 10, this game requires you to group in order to level up.

Okay, I'm about 15 minutes into setting this thing up. Just printed out my registration codes and plugged in my usb keyboard.

[quote name='shipwreck']I received my OXM today with the FFXI demo disc. It is actually a completely separate disc, so you get two demo discs this month. I'll have to wait a couple hours to try it out though.[/QUOTE]

What's on the non-FFXI demo?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's on the non-FFXI demo?[/QUOTE]

As far as playable 360 demos: Call Of Duty 2.

Holy crap FFXI takes a long time to install and register. I highly suggest plugging in a USB keyboard when registering too, because there are quite a few forms to fill out. If you actually read all the agreements that they spit out at you, those could probably take close to an hour alone. I just clicked on "Install FFXI to Harddrive" and it gave me an estimate of 57 minutes!

Update: Well those times from that GameFaqs quote are correct. I just finished setting up my profile and right when I thought I was actually going to get to play, nope, time for more updates. No chance of me actually playing this tonight.

Lame right Shipwreck? I cant believe that they are not trying to improve this overall start time both for the install and for the time needed to get into game each time.

The lay out has not changed from 3 years ago when I last played.

[quote name='BREVITY']Lame right Shipwreck? I cant believe that they are not trying to improve this overall start time both for the install and for the time needed to get into game each time.

The lay out has not changed from 3 years ago when I last played.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it took well over 2 hours to set up and I haven't even gotten a chance to pick my character or start the game yet. I plan on playing it quite a bit on Friday though.

[quote name='edison']I read the beta 'world' will be Xbox 360 players only (American, Japanese, and European). Once the full game is released you will be able to join any of the current 'worlds' with PC, and PS2 players.[/QUOTE]
So how will the keyboard chat/voice chat be reconciled, since PS2/PC players won't have it?

I've never run out on "launch day" to buy a magazine, but methinks I will for the beta disc. Hell, I still don't have my 360 (fucking freepay).

I only quickly glanced at the FFXI article in OXM, but I think the way voice chat works is that you would actually just do a private voice chat session while you were in the game. A keyboard would still be required for communicating with players not in your chat session. At least, I think that's how it works. Like I said, I've only installed it and haven't actually played it yet. I feel like I should get an achievement for just getting this far though.

I will be starting in the city of Windurst. Each city has certain groups that its best for though so think about that before just joining one. I have spent years in this game and got many jobs to lvl 65+ so if people need some help I know I will be in Windurst.

Also we should make a CAG Linkshell. Or any named Linkshell but one we all join.

Windhurst, Linkshell?

I've never played this game in my life. If people want to start up a CAG "Linkshell" I'd join for the Beta though. (I'm assuming a Linkshell is a clan of some sort).

Right it can be said a Linkshell is a clan. In truth its a way to contact each other in like a large group chat that can be used no matter where you are in the world. You have to give a pearl to members and they equip them and then yoru all set.
The game has three main cities and Windurst is one of them. Each city gives perks to certain races for starting there if that city is best for that race.

I know Windurst's missions/quests/secrets/ect... inside and out so I just wanted to say if someone were to start there and needed help with something I could help them.

[quote name='BREVITY']I know Windurst's missions/quests/secrets/ect... inside and out so I just wanted to say if someone were to start there and needed help with something I could help them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions! Haven't recieved my issue yet, but I'd also be interested in a "Linkshell" too.

[quote name='rodeojones903']If they did that you wouldn't have enough people playing to enjoy the game. After lvl 10, this game requires you to group in order to level up.[/QUOTE]

I always level a job to 12 or 13 before I join parties in Valkurn Dunes (aka Hell). I've even managed to solo my thief to level 20. At level 10 level off of worms in the Highlands near the Gusgen Mines entrance or by the lake in La Thaine Platuea. If you wish to party throw your seek up and fight worms while seeking for a party instead of complaining about not getting one later on. This strategy works best for damage dealing classes. If your a mage you'll get an invite very quickly.

I just got my magazine yesterday and Plan on doing the install this weekend on Saturday. I have never played a MMORPG so this will be my first go at it.

bread's done
Back