Free Mass Effect 3 DLC with book purchase at Barnes & Noble.com

markarubin

CAG Veteran
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=41929

"From 1/23/12 - 2/20/12, when you pre-order a copy of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive a code to download extra game content for Mass Effect 3. This will include the collector's rifle, among other cool content to beat out your opponents."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?PID=42257

The Art of Mass Effect Universe Preorder Offer Details::

When you pre-order The Art of Mass Effect Universe (ISBN: 1595827684), you will get a unique code to download game extras from Bioware.com to use in the game Mass Effect 3. Offer is valid from January 23, 2012 and ends February 20, 2012 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time, while supplies last.

This offer is only valid on pre-order purchases of the following item:

The Art of Mass Effect Universe (ISBN: 1595827684).

After you have placed your pre-order purchase of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive via email one (1) unique code for use to download extra game content no later than March 8th, 2012. Your code will be emailed to the email address associated with your Barnes & Noble account. Instructions for how to redeem extra game content on Bioware.com will be included in a follow-up email sent no later than March 8th, 2012. Shipping and handling charges may apply to your pre-order purchase of The Art of Mass Effect Universe.

Additional Rules Governing this Offer: This offer is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for pre-order purchases of any other product other than the above The Art of Mass Effect Universe; (iv) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotion or with the Educator program discount ; (v) not valid on applicable sales tax, or shipping or handling expenses, (vi) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.)and (vii) not valid at Barnes & Noble retail bookstores or Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites.

This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. BN.com is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. Void where prohibited by law.

UPDATE: The DLC from this offer is ONLY available on PC and 360, NOT on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't received my code yet either. Ordered on 1/25, without a B&N account.

For those that have received the code, what was your order date, and do you have B&N accounts?

Found my code in the spam folder after a few panicky moments where i thought i might have accidently deleted it.
asfdad
Phew.

[quote name='hazzmos']Haven't received my code yet either. Ordered on 1/25, without a B&N account.

For those that have received the code, what was your order date, and do you have B&N accounts?[/QUOTE]

I did not receive my code yet. (and their customer service seems confused :( )
Order date 2/11
I do have an account.
I did pay by PayPal however. I am wondering if that was the mistake.

[quote name='LaFerro']Found my code in the spam folder after a few panicky moments where i thought i might have accidently deleted it.
asfdad
Phew.[/QUOTE]

So did I... and its a gmail account that's not suppose to look for spam.

Edit: Code Redeemed also.

[quote name='Gainer']I did not receive my code yet. (and their customer service seems confused :( )
Order date 2/11
I do have an account.
I did pay by PayPal however. I am wondering if that was the mistake.[/QUOTE]

I paid via Paypal as well......interesting.

Well I called barnes and noble and after an hour on hold they explained I'd have to contact the publisher. I demanded a refund but apparently without waiting another 30 mins on hold they can't accomplish that either. I tried calling ea and they were receptive (and understood English!) but said there was no way for them to add it. Guess we are sol?

[quote name='hazzmos']Still no code for me, and I've been religiously checking my spam folders.....anyone other updates?[/QUOTE]
Nothing for me. Been keeping an eye on my spam just in case.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nothing for me. Been keeping an eye on my spam just in case.[/QUOTE]

if it wasn't already posted the email subject from BN looked like this for me.

"Thanks for Ordering The Art of The Mass Effect Universe - Exclusive Code Inside‏"

mine was also in spam folder (arrived Mar 2 or 3rd). no idea how that happens when the other emails went to inbox - I used a gmail for this order btw.

Has it been confirmed that this DLC code is Barnes & Nobles exclusive? (in other words, is there any other way to get this DLC from elsewhere?)

I have also not received the code and have been checking spam. I haven't started with B&N customer service yet since today is the deadline for them to deliver it.

This has been very poorly run, they even removed the link on the page so cs reps have no reference for what were talking about. I actually had to make them type the link up to see it. A real pain this turned out to be.

[quote name='Youngnoble']This has been very poorly run, they even removed the link on the page so cs reps have no reference for what were talking about. I actually had to make them type the link up to see it. A real pain this turned out to be.[/QUOTE]

Which link did you have them view? Did you get any sort of satisfactory resolution?

Well, I kinda regret not doing this.

If for any reason someone has an extra code from this.. I'd trade it for a preorder bonus code that I have. Just throwing that out there.

[quote name='gospelman']Well, I kinda regret not doing this.[/QUOTE]
Don't regret it too much, half of us who did do it still don't have our codes. :p

Well, I just called B&N CS and they aren't budging on those codes. I was left with either returning the book, or accepting a $5 refund. I talked the CS supervisor into upping it to a $10.58 refund (not sure where the 58 cents came from). Guess something is better than nothing. Seeing everyone post in here without luck, I felt I was lucky to get the refund really.

[quote name='VOLTAN']Well, I just called B&N CS and they aren't budging on those codes. I was left with either returning the book, or accepting a $5 refund. I talked the CS supervisor into upping it to a $10.58 refund (not sure where the 58 cents came from). Guess something is better than nothing. Seeing everyone post in here without luck, I felt I was lucky to get the refund really.[/QUOTE]

now you can now buy 5 spectre packs or 10 veteran packs and hope you get an unlock that will suit you.

well called barnes and noble and they told me we dont have the access codes you need to contact bioware. so just to test the water called bioware and they said its a barnes and noble only thing and they have no clue what the code is for etc...im prolly going to just say screw this whole thing as its stupid now.

I just emailed Dark Horse, for the heck of it. I think this is ridiculous. This DLC has a street value of >$50! Meaning, if we want to go get it it will now cost us upwards of that amount and that's just stupid. I'm calling B&N customer service later today, too.

Guess I should be happy that it showed up after all. :whistle2:s

I can't believe BN is playing "go talk with Bioware" and Bioware is playing "go talk with BN" to deal with this issue.

Completely ridiculous.

[quote name='gauu']well called barnes and noble and they told me we dont have the access codes you need to contact bioware. so just to test the water called bioware and they said its a barnes and noble only thing and they have no clue what the code is for etc...im prolly going to just say screw this whole thing as its stupid now.[/QUOTE]
so shitty

I emailed B&N the other day and got a non response. So I replied back. Today I got an email from their CS with an apology and the code. So don't buy that BS if they tell you they can't provide the code.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I emailed B&N the other day and got a non response. So I replied back. Today I got an email from their CS with an apology and the code. So don't buy that BS if they tell you they can't provide the code.[/QUOTE]
That's awesome news. I'll keep hammering on them until I get a response. :)

An extremely kind fellow CAGer provided me with one, but I will also keep hammering away at BN to see if I can get one to return it to him, or maybe share it with somebody else who got screwed.

I got this response from emailing B&N customer service earlier today:

Please be informed that after you have placed your purchase of The Art
of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive via email one (1) unique code
for use to download extra game content no later than March 8th, 2012.
Your code will be emailed to the email address associated with your
Barnes & Noble account. Download codes are only valid for PC and Xbox
360 platforms. Since you have not received your unique code, we have
submitted a request to the appropriate people in our department in order
for them to send your unique code. We will send you an email with the
unique code within 24-48 hours.

I'll update if a code actually shows up.

Got this automated message yesterday.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding order #XXXXXXXXX.

Please be informed that the access code will be received in next 24

hours.

Thank you for understanding.

I'll send them another email tomorrow, but I'll keep folks posted here if I do get my code.

Oh jeez, I didn't realize this was such an issue! I got mine right away as I am pretty sure I posted a while back.

I am sorry to hear that the issue seems to be being dealt with so poorly and wish you all luck!

After an ignored email and little bit of back and forth, I received this from B&N yesterday:

We apologize you have not received the promotional code for preordering
"Art of the Mass Effect Universe". We will be sending you the new
promotional code via a separate email. You will be receiving this with
in the next 24-72 hours.
If this is true, I should the code by Wednesday. I'll let you all know what happens.

Finally got something, I blanked out all the special stuff.

Dear Thomas Truong,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding order #______________.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. The code for The Art
of the Mass Effect Universe is "________________".

We hope this information is helpful to you. If any further assistance is
needed please contact us. We will make sure that we assist you.

Have a great day!
We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,
______

I'll test it out tonight, but it looks like two concerned emails is the magic number.

I got this finally, sounds pretty funny:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Free Code to download games.

As a loyal BN customer we are offering you the chance to download
exclusive content.

Please use this code "XXXXX" to download extra content
here: http://social.bioware.com/redeem

This limited time link, so get in the game now!

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We look forward to your next visit.

Edit: Had a similar problem as below. Sorted

My code did something funky. I gave it a friend and he says that it only unlocked some "in game artwork" and no rifle or MP bonuses. Anyone else experience this?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']My code did something funky. I gave it a friend and he says that it only unlocked some "in game artwork" and no rifle or MP bonuses. Anyone else experience this?[/QUOTE]

When I first registered (before the game came out) it was listed as "The Art of Mass Effect" in the registered content. After I played MP for the first time I had to go to the store and "redeem" the Collector's Rifle pack waiting for me. There is no other verification that the code worked, i.e., on the social site.

[quote name='mrfossey']When I first registered (before the game came out) it was listed as "The Art of Mass Effect" in the registered content. After I played MP for the first time I had to go to the store and "redeem" the Collector's Rifle pack waiting for me. There is no other verification that the code worked, i.e., on the social site.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed to know.

I finally received my code today. I waited until the promised 24-72 hour window had expired, and then sent another email to customer care. I received the html-formatted promo email a few hours later with the code and was able to redeem it successfully on bioware.com.

My takeaways from this are:

1. if you are missing the code, keep emailing and you will receive it eventually
2. think twice before doing more business with B&N

Good luck everyone.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So has it been absolutely confirmed that the Collector AR isn't unlockable in multiplayer without one of these codes?[/QUOTE]

i hope for what some of went through and basically paying a premium for an AR that could possibly be un-upgradable...that it is exclusive to art book orders.

glad ppl are finally getting their codes.

it's a rather hvy AR, it seems to weigh as much as the heaviest of them all...outside of the cool factor of having your GT, enemy killed followed by collector rifle, it's slowly starting to lose ground in it's effectiveness as the other rarer AR's start to level up. So far, i found the best use for it w/the turian soldier.

bread's done
Back