Free OnLive system for PAX Prime attendees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap! I went last year, and all I got was a lousy t-shirt! ;)

Nice giveaway OnLive. I wish I was going this year.

I think it's a smart move on their part. If half of the people actually use the service, thats a whole lot more users playing the thing.

holy cow. If I was going I'd certainly pick one up.
Their game prices tend to be more than Steam though. I wish they'd merge with steam to offer streamed games at Steam prices.

[quote name='aardarf']holy cow. If I was going I'd certainly pick one up.
Their game prices tend to be more than Steam though. I wish they'd merge with steam to offer streamed games at Steam prices.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Onlive has so many ridiculous sales that they have pretty much matched Steam on every sale possible so far. Heck, they have easily beat Steam on a few sales already, like $12.50 for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood months ago. To top things off, people who subscribe to the $9.99 monthly play pack also get 30% off all purchased games (even those games on sale). That makes Onlive pretty darn hard to beat.

Yea, they are doing the same thing at EuroGamer. The consoles obviously do not cost much to make, but the service is really cool. If you buy during sales with the PlayPack Discount you can get some great games for low prices. The $5 Friday deals are usually good games as well. With the PlayPack it makes them $3.50.

...Im sorry but I cant like them. They irritate me. I jsut dislike how you have to pay to use the system and then pay for the game and then you get to play. I mean wtfh? I kinda wish they'd just die. I know some will hate me for it but I want them to just leave the gaming worth alone. DD is king right now.

[quote name='Reaperain']...Im sorry but I cant like them. They irritate me. I jsut dislike how you have to pay to use the system and then pay for the game and then you get to play. I mean wtfh? I kinda wish they'd just die. I know some will hate me for it but I want them to just leave the gaming worth alone. DD is king right now.[/QUOTE]

How dare companies make you pay for the console AND make you pay for games. OnLive is giving these consoles away through these gaming conventions and with pre-orders of many games. Then you have two options: buy playpasses for 3 days, 5 days or lifetime or you can buy a PlayPack pass for $9.99 which includes unlimited access to the library(currently 84 games) for the duration of the 30 days.

[quote name='jaydepps']How dare companies make you pay for the console AND make you pay for games. OnLive is giving these consoles away through these gaming conventions and with pre-orders of many games. Then you have two options: buy playpasses for 3 days, 5 days or lifetime or you can buy a PlayPack pass for $9.99 which includes unlimited access to the library(currently 84 games) for the duration of the 30 days.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, he's probably referring to the original version of the service, which had a monthly fee on top of per game fees. As the system now allows you to play purchased games without paying the $9.99/month, the complaint is no longer valid.

Anyway, I'm at PAX... But I'm not sure if I have enough room in my luggage to get this thing back home. And even if I do, I know I'm out of HDMI ports on my TV, have a PS3, and XBox, and a PC that seems to be able to handle everything I've cared to throw at it thus far, so it's not something I really need right now.

if anyone is going to pax but does not want a onlive system, i would love to have it and i do think it is great that they are doing this, onlive is a great service

Hate to be that guy, but would anyone going possibly be able to pick one up for me? I mean, if you're there, it wouldn't be too much trouble, right? PM me if you can help.

EDIT: Phew, not THAT guy! I'm the second, lol!

[quote name='WhytePanther']To be fair, he's probably referring to the original version of the service, which had a monthly fee on top of per game fees. As the system now allows you to play purchased games without paying the $9.99/month, the complaint is no longer valid.

Anyway, I'm at PAX... But I'm not sure if I have enough room in my luggage to get this thing back home. And even if I do, I know I'm out of HDMI ports on my TV, have a PS3, and XBox, and a PC that seems to be able to handle everything I've cared to throw at it thus far, so it's not something I really need right now.[/QUOTE]

Well if that is the case then I rescind my comment.

Here it is:

3a6939.png

I had someone actually nab one of these for me, and frankly, I'm shocked at how much better it looks on a TV then on my monitor. Of course, I'm sure that my monitor being 1080p and my tv being 720p had a lot to do with it, but from what I can see, it's not much different then it would look on a ps3 or 360.

I got a chance to play with it over the weekend. Pretty nice, but only two of my games are controller friendly. I like where this service is going but I'm unsure if I'd use it much over my PS3 or Steam.

I only waited 15 mins on Saturday for my console. Tried out a few games I had from the Indie Humble Bundles and wasn't all that impressed. I don't see why I would need a streaming service for what are essentially PC games when I already have a good gaming PC already.

Don't see myself buying anything in the future from the onlive store, but maybe the service will pick up later on I guess.

I use OnLive for a few reasons. There sales are almost unbeatable when they have them, my PC is garbage so I can use OnLive to play Deus Ex and such, and they will be getting console releases in the future that are unattainable via PC like Inversion.

This is the deals section, the free stuff goes in the free section. Atleast thats what logic would dictate.

I managed to get my free system. Anyone know if theres a way to use the controller on a PC as just a normal controller? Technically this thing is only free after you buy a ticket to the convention, so it really isn't "free". Anyhow, PAX has come and gone, so no need to bump this up anymore. If a mod wants to move it to the graveyard, be my guest.

OnLive SUCKS... I tried to play Deus Ex on the thing at PAX, it was pixelated, laggy mess, and their game selection is terrible. Did I mention you had to wait HOURS in line for this freebie? So not worth it!

Now, getting a FREE copy of Borderlands 2 for the platform of your choice at the Gearbox panel, AND free pizza, now THAT was worth it!

I'm not a PC gamer but this system might be to my liking. At my new house I, basically have a T1 line so lag shouldn't be an issue. Would gladdly take this off anyones hands who doesn't like it.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']OnLive SUCKS... I tried to play Deus Ex on the thing at PAX, it was pixelated, laggy mess, and their game selection is terrible. Did I mention you had to wait HOURS in line for this freebie? So not worth it!

Now, getting a FREE copy of Borderlands 2 for the platform of your choice at the Gearbox panel, AND free pizza, now THAT was worth it![/QUOTE]

Must be a bad connection at the convention center then. The whole free thing just didn't break out on CAG. Many people saw it on various sites like Kotaku, Slickdeals, IGN, etc. so yeah, everyone wants something for free. I wanted to demo out Diablo III last year @ Blizzcon but saw that line. Yeah, wasn't worth it for 15 minutes plus it's not I get a free voucher for a closed beta anyway.

And congrats with getting Borderlands 2 for free. There is a difference between waiting in line and sitting throughout the whole panel til that whole Oprah moment happened.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']OnLive SUCKS... I tried to play Deus Ex on the thing at PAX, it was pixelated, laggy mess, and their game selection is terrible. Did I mention you had to wait HOURS in line for this freebie? So not worth it!

Now, getting a FREE copy of Borderlands 2 for the platform of your choice at the Gearbox panel, AND free pizza, now THAT was worth it![/QUOTE]

Convention centers are notorious for horrible connections. I played it at a friends' house that has a high end cable connection (Charter) and I couldn't tell any difference between the OnLive streaming and local play.

They are just getting up on their feet and they're about the only place you can rent games from now (Gamefly's selection is a joke) for a lot of people now as Blockbusters are closing up everywhere and local rental places are a thing of the past outside of smaller chains like Family Video (and you have to put a $20 deposit down to rent ANY new game outside of the rental fee until you spend over $150 at that location, not just with the company.)

[quote name='vlv723']But seriously, why all the hate? I have OnLive and have no problems with it.[/QUOTE]
I'm indifferent. I just don't see it as commercially viable yet.

I love Onlive. The fact that I can play some of my favorite games on any computer (with a decent connection), and soon on smart phones is really impressive. The graphics through the microconsole seems to be a bit higher resolution than for the computer. I hope this company survives and thrive because I like their technology. But a good/fast connection is imperative to get a good experience. If you are streaming other things or have DSL, I don't think it will work too well. I have cable and sometimes it is butter smooth, other times, rather choppy (there you go for Time Warner).

Onlive doesn't make sense now if you already have a high end PC or HD console, but it becomes significantly more appealing when you take the console/pc purchase into account.

I just did the preorder a game get a free microconsole and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The microconsole is well made and you definitely see the $100 of value in it between the console, controller and cables. I knew going in that the selection wasn't great, but I'm expecting it to grow and may do the playpass at some point. I played quite a bit of Borderlands and it definitely looked noticeably better than the Xbox 360 version on my 1080p TV.

I'm indifferent. I just don't see it as commercially viable yet.
That sounds alot more restrained than your original quote:
Lol, just how I imagined this service would end up: being given away.
I don't think the service itself is being given away, you still have to pay for the games, it's just the system, also I don't think a giveaway at a convention really says much as far as sales go, didn't someone above just say that Gearbox was giving away free copies of Borderlands 2? That said, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they gave away the player for free at some future point in time... I don't think the player itself is really their money-maker so much as the service itself.

I think the idea behind Onlive is really cool, and there's been more than a few deals that have made it worthwhile IMO. That said I still have my dislikes about the system: I'd still rather play games that don't require a constant healthy internet connection, I'm still concerned about how much bandwidth it uses, and I'm still dissapointed they haven't used it as a means for those of us without high-end PCs to play some of these great non-console games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back