Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sbains']I went into Best Buy off Almaden Expwy in San Jose and picked up Ratchet & Clank - a Crack in Time and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Rang up $10 and $0 after Best Buy rewards card (not Silver) --- perfect considering you get a cardboard box too![/QUOTE]

No point in using your rewards card, unless you actually plan on completing the purchase. Deal works quite fine without it.

[quote name='subzerorn']I thought that if it is points from purchasing a game it equals to $10 all the time.Weird.Can any1 confirm this?[/QUOTE]

BB Reward Points and GAMER ZONE points are different. You accumulate them the same way, but GZ points are $150 spent on games (or 150 points) = $10 coupon. You actually get both points at the same time, although the 150 bonus points in question don't go to BB Reward Points, only GZ points. So yes, it's $10, because they're GZ points.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Ok, I don't know whats wrong here but mine was not free. I tried this last night and I got charged.[/QUOTE]

Your cashier might not have done the promotion for whatever reason. A box should come up on their screen asking if they want to apply the Uncharted 2 promotion (not sure of exact wording), with the option to click Yes or No. If they click No, then yeah, it's not going to work.

I just went to my best buy in hamburg ny. Everything was working fine picked UC2 and Tekken 6 cashier rang it up came to 0.00 said hey this cant be right did it again same thing called manager but and he said ring them up separately. i paid for it but cancelling them tommarow

At my BB my dad asked "What was that screen that popped up?" just to see what she would say. She said "It asked me to hit yes to approve a bundle discount. I don't know why I wouldn't...". This is the kind of checker I like: approves promotions and doesn't ask why! :D

Picked up UC2 and R&C at BestBuy in Mountain View for $0 today. Guy said my total was $10.87 and looked at me for payment and I referred him to his screen where he saw the discount pop up, he hits enter, receipt prints. Nice deal.

I'm sort of new at the whole preordering thing, so I have to ask...this 5 dollars, is it like a deposit? Will it deducted from the price of the game when I pay for it? So let's say Uncharted 2 will be 60 bucks. I pay 5 bucks for a pre-order, get my nifty gun skins (which I am so glad doesn't actually affect the game, unlike some other DLC that I feel breeds a sort of "might makes right" attitude) and then when the game actually comes out, I pay the 55 bucks I still owe?

why would you want to pay 55$ at best buy when amazon has it for 57 sans tax and shipping and you get 5$ off future purchase?

[quote name='cooljammer00']I'm sort of new at the whole preordering thing, so I have to ask...this 5 dollars, is it like a deposit? Will it deducted from the price of the game when I pay for it? So let's say Uncharted 2 will be 60 bucks. I pay 5 bucks for a pre-order, get my nifty gun skins (which I am so glad doesn't actually affect the game, unlike some other DLC that I feel breeds a sort of "might makes right" attitude) and then when the game actually comes out, I pay the 55 bucks I still owe?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's how it works. But, if you follow the thread, you can get the skins and another game's preorder goods for free (unless you *want* to buy the game from BB).

[quote name='cooljammer00']So then the preorder isn't really free, because I'll owe them the money eventually anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm not following you. I'll break it down:

You go in and put $5 down on Uncharted 2. The game is $60 MSRP. When you go to pick up the game, you pay $55, since your $5 was to "reserve" it. That wouldn't be "free" anything.

Now, if you follow the thread:

You go in and grab the Uncharted 2 preorder...and another game preorder (let's say Tekken 6). When you go to pay for Uncharted 2 and Tekken 6 in the same transaction, the total will come out to be $0.00. You will then receive both Uncharted 2 and Tekken 6 bonuses, and you won't have paid a dime.

From here, you could either pick up those games when they come out (and have to pay $60 each for them), or, simply don't go pick them up when they come out. BB doesn't have any of your money, so you don't have to pick the games up later.

Thus, the preorder bonuses are free (if bought as a pair, one being Uncharted 2).

[quote name='judgedee']why would you want to pay 55$ at best buy when amazon has it for 57 sans tax and shipping and you get 5$ off future purchase?[/QUOTE]

lol, that's not the point. the point is to get the bestbuy preorder bonuses for free, while buying the game somewhere else, like at amazon. At least that was my intentions.

Im surprised some people said they got this deal without a rewards zone card. In my case I wasn't gonna use my rewards card so it wouldn't be linked to me, but the pop up for the uncharted 2 offer did not come up until i used my reward zone card. When i did, it popped up and the preorders were free.

[quote name='cooljammer00']So then the preorder isn't really free, because I'll owe them the money eventually anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well, what do you consider free? It usually means that there's no money exchange...which is the case here.

You're given whatever digital content the promotion is giving you, and you are not giving Bestbuy any of your money up front. Therefore, you're not forced to buy the game from Bestbuy. They give you something, and you don't have to provide anything to obtain the goods...hence FREE!

I learned so much today.

Now if only I could set my mind on buying a PS3 this week and not be afraid of an imminent price drop.

[quote name='cooljammer00']I learned so much today.

Now if only I could set my mind on buying a PS3 this week and not be afraid of an imminent price drop.[/QUOTE]

You think PS3 will get another price drop this year? Am I reading that right?

[quote name='darknight88']You think PS3 will get another price drop this year? Am I reading that right?[/QUOTE]

Or that bundle gets released in the US.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Ok, I don't know whats wrong here but mine was not free. I tried this last night and I got charged.[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, the cashier probably said no to the box that asked them to do the bundle. I got Uncharted last night and bought Call of Juarez: BIB for $20 (30 price match to gamestop, less $5 discount for pre ordering Uncharted and less $5 RZ gift card)

[quote name='Rig']I'm not following you. I'll break it down:

You go in and put $5 down on Uncharted 2. The game is $60 MSRP. When you go to pick up the game, you pay $55, since your $5 was to "reserve" it. That wouldn't be "free" anything.

Now, if you follow the thread:

You go in and grab the Uncharted 2 preorder...and another game preorder (let's say Tekken 6). When you go to pay for Uncharted 2 and Tekken 6 in the same transaction, the total will come out to be $0.00. You will then receive both Uncharted 2 and Tekken 6 bonuses, and you won't have paid a dime.

From here, you could either pick up those games when they come out (and have to pay $60 each for them), or, simply don't go pick them up when they come out. BB doesn't have any of your money, so you don't have to pick the games up later.

Thus, the preorder bonuses are free (if bought as a pair, one being Uncharted 2).[/QUOTE]

True, and another way the U2 glitch can work is that you combo it with any other game in BB and it will take $5 off the game as well (U2 comes up as $0 too).

BestBuy at the John Hancock in Chicago, IL does this promotion. I went yesterday and today and got two Uncharted 2 pre-order bonuses and two Ratchet and Clank pre-order bonuses for free.

[quote name='cooljammer00']So no special things required like membership cards? I might just have to check it out at the local Best Buy here in NYC.[/QUOTE]

Nothing special, was able to get in on this today. Just presented the games to the cashier. He scanned both preorders and something popped up on his screen, voila everything zeroed.

did this and got tekken 6 bonus and Brutal legend bonus (so huge and great). noticed the UC2 bonuses are good till the end of the year. gonna hold off on 1 till i know if im getting a ps3 this year.

Just got back from seeing a movie with the wife, went to Best Buy afterward. This promotion/glitch is still working as of today. Wonder why they have not done anything about it yet?

Picked up Uncharted/Brutal Legend, might stop by tomorrow and get the tekken preorder as well.

Took both up, she scanned them, promotion window popped up but she didn't see it and told me 10.xx, I told her "There should be a promotion or something for these", she turned around hit the button, said "oh, they are free?" I said yes, she laughed and let me go, and I got a sweet brutal legend case.

compelling story, I know.

sweet. got the last set of uncharted 2 presells 4 total. Got with forza 3 and brutal legend. Great deal for those who can still find this at there best buy. if any CAG'ers need a uncharted 2 code, let me know giving out 4 of them to anyone that PM's me on release date of the uncharted game. (codes are not going to work until the release date)

As of 6PM EST Saturday, this still worked perfectly. Got another Uncharted and Ratchet preorder boxes. The cashier, after he gave me the receipt put the boxes under the counter and said thanks. I was like, "were are the boxes, I get to keep em!". He was shocked apparently that I wanted the empty boxes (and obviously the preorder goodies).

If best buy do decides to pull the games aside for everyone, it will sitting at customer service and would wonder why no one is pick them up.

[quote name='dizzlle01']If best buy do decides to pull the games aside for everyone, it will sitting at customer service and would wonder why no one is pick them up.[/QUOTE]
That's the best part! I might swing by my store just to see the five waiting on me lol.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Picked up 2x Uncharted and 2x Forza 3 today.
Replacement 360 boxes! I should probably get a few more.[/QUOTE]

It still works, I picked up Uncharted 2 and Forza 3 this evening.
Gonna use the 360 cases for replacements as well

[quote name='tlwizard']Don't know if Brutal Legend was part of the glitch or not, but it did not ring up free for me here in NYC.[/QUOTE]

Brutal Legend was (is?) part of the deal. I picked it up this way.

[quote name='tlwizard']Don't know if Brutal Legend was part of the glitch or not, but it did not ring up free for me here in NYC.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy in Manhattan or another borough? I'm going to try and get this deal to work at the BB in Ceaser's Bay.

Worked for me. Got Uncharted 2, and ODST code. Cashier was puzzled as to why I was getting ODST when it's already been out. I convinced him I just needed the code for Sarge. My friend tried to do it as well, but they wanted to charge him. Not sure what the deal with that was.

[quote name='cooljammer00']Best Buy in Manhattan or another borough? I'm going to try and get this deal to work at the BB in Ceaser's Bay.[/QUOTE]Manhattan. Houston and Bway.

bread's done
Back