Front Mission Evolved PS3/Xbox 360 $19.99 @ Amazon

Nice! This must be a recent price drop, I thought I looked earlier today and it was still like $39. Thanks for the tip!

Caught my eye when it first came out, but the uniformly bad reviews killed it.

Has anyone here played it? Opinions? General consensus seemed to be "pretty graphics, boring gameplay". :whistle2:?

Wasn't this the deal of the day for $35 yesterday? This is like Amazon saying "ok, you called our bluff."

[quote name='Zippon']Caught my eye when it first came out, but the uniformly bad reviews killed it.

Has anyone here played it? Opinions? General consensus seemed to be "pretty graphics, boring gameplay". :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

If you like Armored Core you should find some enjoyment out of this game. If you like that kind of gameplay I'd say it's worth $20, otherwise stay away as the story isn't very good from the little bit I played when Gamefly shipped it to me.

I just got it yesterday at Gamestop for $20 and played it for a little bit last night. I thought it was pretty fun. I don't play a lot of mech games but I can see myself sticking with this one. Plus the online multilayer is a nice bonus.

The training missions kept making me crack up. Every time you complete one, that girl on the radio would say "Excellent!!!" or "GOOOOD JOB!!" in a very girly accent.

I have heard good things and bad about this game. I couldn't make myself spend 39.99 on it, but with this price drop I think I'll have to give it a shot. If I don't like it I can always trade it in. Thanks for the deal OP.
cool2.gif
:D

[quote name='norkusa']I just got it yesterday at Gamestop for $20 and played it for a little bit last night. I thought it was pretty fun. I don't play a lot of mech games but I can see myself sticking with this one. Plus the online multilayer is a nice bonus.

The training missions kept making me crack up. Every time you complete one, that girl on the radio would say "Excellent!!!" or "GOOOOD JOB!!" in a very girly accent.[/QUOTE]

I had a blast with this game on the PC. The story is cheez and nothing AT ALL like Front Mission 5, but in its own right, Evolved is a very fun little game. Think of it as mech candy - it's sugary, sweet fun with little depth.

Not all reviews were bad, by the way. Off the top of my head, I know GameInforner and PC Gamer both gave it high 7s - which to me means a flawed but fun gem. A lot of people had sticks up their butts when they reviewed the game for some reason.

I bought it day one because I am a big FM fan, but for $19 it's surely worth it.

[quote name='ecwfan']Which is the best version to buy, Xbox 360 or PS3?[/QUOTE]
The Xbox 360 controller has better triggers for shooting. Otherwise, I think they're pretty similar.

[quote name='mxpowar']The Xbox 360 controller has better triggers for shooting. Otherwise, I think they're pretty similar.[/QUOTE]

wasn't this a previous 360 exclusive?

Yes, it was originally planned for xbox 360 only. I picked up the 360 version since it was the primary development platform (just in case it's optimized over the ps3 version)

[quote name='crewj']wasn't this a previous 360 exclusive?[/QUOTE]
I never heard anything like that so... ???... don't know...

Thanks OP! Grabbed one on each. With the deal $15 each isn't a bad price. My friend and I went half and I have prime so should be to me on Friday :D

[quote name='kak23']Is this game like Mechassault on the original Xbox?[/QUOTE]
No cockpit views and it's much faster paced than Mech Assault. It's more like Armored Core but not as good by a long shot.

[quote name='Zippon']Caught my eye when it first came out, but the uniformly bad reviews killed it.

Has anyone here played it? Opinions? General consensus seemed to be "pretty graphics, boring gameplay". :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

It reminded me the most of MechAssault for the original Xbox (didn't play MA2 though), though this game doesn't have as much depth as "proper" MechWarrior. I played a few hours of it, but may buy it for this cheap!

PS3 still available for $19.99, and Windows for $25.99 (uses Steamworks protection, so it will be registered to your Steam account)

Blah, was about to gave and grab Blazblue CS and this on Amazons deal, but as stated above, jumped up to 50 bucks and not eligible anymore. Oh well, I can wait.

I am about 3 missions from the end. Trying to do hard difficulty and collect everything on one playthrough. Taking a bit long, but it is enjoyable for ~10-15 purchase.

Doubt I will platinum this one though cause everything I read is the online is dominated by hardcore players from Japan and its a 50+ hour ordeal of grinding... maybe others can comment on that?

So this isn't a turn based strategy game like the other Front Missions? If so, to hell with it I guess.

This sounds like a pretty good deal. Might have to jump on it. BTW, if anyone picking up the game is looking for them, I'm trading some of the Wanzer Pre-Order DLC packs over in the XBL/PSN Trading threads. PM me if you're interested :)

[quote name='nasum']So this isn't a turn based strategy game like the other Front Missions? If so, to hell with it I guess.[/QUOTE]

No, it isn't. I'm not sure why they even kept the Front Mission name when it's no longer Front Mission. I love the Armored Core games as well but I'm disappointed they made this AC clone.

[quote name='sabanoo']No, it isn't. I'm not sure why they even kept the Front Mission name when it's no longer Front Mission. I love the Armored Core games as well but I'm disappointed they made this AC clone.[/QUOTE]

There have been other Front Mission games that weren't turn-based strategy, but yeah, I also was disappointed the direction this game went.

[quote name='nakanenui']I am about 3 missions from the end. Trying to do hard difficulty and collect everything on one playthrough. Taking a bit long, but it is enjoyable for ~10-15 purchase.

Doubt I will platinum this one though cause everything I read is the online is dominated by hardcore players from Japan and its a 50+ hour ordeal of grinding... maybe others can comment on that?[/QUOTE]
I did the grind and it fucking sucks until rank 25 when you can 'zook. Once you get that weapon, the game does a 180 in terms of fun. It's so damn OP that you can 1-2 shot other players depending on where you hit them. I found the splash damage works well enough to just aim for their feet and take out the legs in one blast, then finish the job with one to the chest. Expect to hate MP while grinding to rank 25, though. Don't bother using anything but premade suits until then either, because you won't get kills using what's available to customize.

Japanese dominating is a myth BTW. They're mostly pretty terrible, relying on zook and missile/grenade spam to get kills. Their lag can often be their only skill because some of them zipping around are just impossible to hit it's so bad.

Picked up the :pc: version at Gamestop for $15+tax. The guys there said "there's not much demand for PC games unless it's WOW" and didn't think they had it, but pulled out the last sealed copy complete with preorder wanzers. It's kind of hard to find in-store, but did pop up on their store locator. It's still $25.99 on Amazon.

bread's done
Back