FS/BB: Free PS3/360 CoD: Ghosts, BF4, Assassin's Creed IV?

I was honestly disappointed. My Futureshop kept letting people trade in 3 games, for all 3 titles. They ran out of stock for ACIV not even 5 minutes after I got there. Then Battlefield 4 ran out after an hour I stood in line.

Thank god I reserved my copy for ACIV online. I'm going to try Best Buy tomorrow, I can't stand in line for another hour or so.
Wow, that's all kinds of BS.

I was at BB first and got through in 10mins. Was going to get AC IV but I figured Ghost would be more popular and I would get AC at Futureshop. Well whoops, ended up with two Ghost, 1 360, 1 PS3

The lineup at my FS was starting to wind down around 5pm with the only game left being COD Ghosts. AC3 ran out first and then BF4. I think the average wait in line was about 3 hours. Not sure why they thought this would last 3 days. I'm pretty sure they won't get any more games in this weekend.

I didn't go as I was working, so I asked my brother to go for me. He got there like 15 minutes before they opened and was pretty far back in the line. The line moved really slowly, so BB employees went down the line sticking stickers on each persons game. Some 2 hours later he was still standing outside with at least 100 people behind him, and they said they were soldout and told everybody to leave. That's really not cool. I'm annoyed I wasted his time asking him to go. Although, he did dig through a bin and found some PS3 games somebody threw out in disgust. So I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of time.

It took about 9 hours but I was able to get copies of each game for the 360 and PS3 plus a couple for gifts. My wife and son were with me so we got 3 at each and I had reserved 2 at 3 stores to make sure that we got what I wanted and would be giving for gifts. The longest wait we had was over 3 hours and by the time we hit the last store they only had reservations left so we were done in about 5 minutes.

Have such a long day I hope to God this sale never happens again!

I think the best part of the day was trading games with other people waiting in line. I traded Fight Night Round 3 for Injustice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone from Edmonton check out any stores? I'm thinking of going to South Common tomorrow to see if they still have Assassin's Creed in stock. Curious if it's worth the trip.

From Edmonton? Dang, I guess I should check this thread more often then. Thanks for the heads up! At least Target still has 2 for 1.

Took me 2 hours to get my AC4 (PS3) reservation. Stupid fucking Best Buy should have allowed a separate line for reserves because those are 'guaranteed' for me, why the hell did I have to wait with everyone else? Just glad I got it, I traded in a $1 game.

Argh,  totally missed out. Clerk told me they will restock tomorrow but I highly doubt it (this is at the Coquitlam location).  

So you still need to join those 3 hour lines to pick up a reservation? Damn
No, it was their choice..since the reservation would be honoured they could have came back later on in the day but I think the ONE person in the line that actually reserved their copy stood in line for the full 3 hours I was there to receive their copy..not sure because he was a couple of spots behind me in the line...the other people who reserved probably came later in the day since only one person raised their hand when the employee came outside to ask if anyone waiting in line reserved a copy..the employee seemed pretty surprise only one person did lol

I was at south common BB late afternoon 4:25; I had to leave around 5:15. I probably could been in line for 30 minutes more and still not get a game or reach the counter.

Wow, that's all kinds of BS.

I was at BB first and got through in 10mins. Was going to get AC IV but I figured Ghost would be more popular and I would get AC at Futureshop. Well whoops, ended up with two Ghost, 1 360, 1 PS3
I made the same mistake, thinking Ghosts would sell out faster. I ended up managing to go to two locations with lines that weren't endless (I actually passed on 3 others before finding the second store, there are lots of stores in Mtl). I waited 45 minites at the opening of the first, then actually only 30 minutes at the second! One of the stores I skipped, I asked a dude at the front of the line, said he had waited 3 hours!! So I moved on :p

Anyway I ended up with Ghosts for PS3 and 360. Went to EB and traded those for a spare Dualshock 4 :) I coulda flipped them for more maybe, but with as little effort as possible, I turned Bayonetta and Binary Domain into a DS4, so I'm happy enough! And my buddy is coming into town a few days after I get my PS4! So we'll be playing some coop Resogun, yessir! :p

EDIT: Also... What a cluster fuck. I don't see how any of this turns into good PR for BB and FS. They just ended up showing once again how famously disorganized they are. Plus a large majority of people ended up going straight to EB Games to flip the games for what they really wanted. I totally get the intention behind this deal: buyer awareness of the trade-in program, and clearing out stock before the next gen hits. But boy oh boy this was not the way to go about it, but then, are any of us surprised?

I think the best part of the day was trading games with other people waiting in line. I traded Fight Night Round 3 for Injustice!
I really wanted to go myself just to do that. Everybody is carrying crap they don't care about, with apparent equal value. It makes for really easy trades. Not even expecting value upgrades, there are plenty of worthless games that are pretty great :)

I made the same mistake, thinking Ghosts would sell out faster. I ended up managing to go to two locations with lines that weren't endless (I actually passed on 3 others before finding the second store, there are lots of stores in Mtl). I waited 45 minites at the opening of the first, then actually only 30 minutes at the second! One of the stores I skipped, I asked a dude at the front of the line, said he had waited 3 hours!! So I moved on :p

Anyway I ended up with Ghosts for PS3 and 360. Went to EB and traded those for a spare Dualshock 4 :) I coulda flipped them for more maybe, but with as little effort as possible, I turned Bayonetta and Binary Domain into a DS4, so I'm happy enough! And my buddy is coming into town a few days after I get my PS4! So we'll be playing some coop Resogun, yessir! :p

EDIT: Also... What a cluster fuck. I don't see how any of this turns into good PR for BB and FS. They just ended up showing once again how famously disorganized they are. Plus a large majority of people ended up going straight to EB Games to flip the games for what they really wanted. I totally get the intention behind this deal: buyer awareness of the trade-in program, and clearing out stock before the next gen hits. But boy oh boy this was not the way to go about it, but then, are any of us surprised?
An employee at Futureshop stated that the publishers were paying for this event and it wasn't costing BB and FS a thing. That every copy was given to them. So they didn't care about it being any random game, they can still flip it.

How accurate that info is, is obviously up for debate but there you have it.

Does anyone know if they are going to be restocking the games on sunday? I went to 8 stores and couldn't find a copy of any game.

Does anyone know if they are going to be restocking the games on sunday?
I asked a BB employee that. His answer was to call first Sunday morning. Which is retarded, by the time they answer phones they'll have a lineup long enough to sellout again.

I asked a BB employee that. His answer was to call first Sunday morning. Which is retarded, by the time they answer phones they'll have a lineup long enough to sellout again.
One of the BB employee's told me that "we might be getting more in tomorrow".

I really wanted to go myself just to do that. Everybody is carrying crap they don't care about, with apparent equal value. It makes for really easy trades. Not even expecting value upgrades, there are plenty of worthless games that are pretty great :)
I'm kicking myself for not having thought of that.

An employee at Futureshop stated that the publishers were paying for this event and it wasn't costing BB and FS a thing. That every copy was given to them. So they didn't care about it being any random game, they can still flip it.
That would make for a good explanation. But I still think FS/BB end up on the losing end of that stick too. Retail is dying, and it's painful to watch :p I hope digital stores start to evolve quickly with next gen, so we can all just move on!

Line took me just under 4 hours in Kamloops.

I was annoyed that they were letting people trade 3 games for 3 titles. I only brought the one game to trade as per the rules and left the other two in the car in case I decided to come back on Sunday.

When I left the line was still cued up for about another 4 hours' worth. The trade process was taking at least 5 minutes per customer. Sometimes 10 minutes. Terribly slow line.

If I wasn't so damn tired I would have thought of that too. I won't be near a BB/FS tomorrow, and I've had enough of them...also there will likely not be much stock tomorrow. I think only unclaimed pickups will be up for grabs tomorrow. You'd have to start lining up at 5AM to get them lol. I don't think there'd be a chance to find people at all tomorrow either way.

This promo was an epic mix of greatness and awfulness wrapped into one ...

GREAT - You can choose from three hot $60 titles and all you have to do is trade in crap.

AWFUL - Friends tell friends, social media explodes, everyone knows = huge crowds of the general public that love free / near free deals. Stand in line for 1-3 hrs. Watch hoards of copies pop up on kijiji, trade in values bottom out.

GREAT - Both BB and FS take part. Lots of locations.

AWFUL - Par usual, its poorly planned and rules aren't enforced initially meaning people abusing the reserve process and/or being allowed to show up with three games for three instead of one for one per person. People waiting in line for nothing. Don't expect restocking after the Sat blitz.

GREAT - They had tons of copies of COD because 'hey that's gonna be the #1 meal ticket'.

AWFUL - Not so much for AS:BF or BF4.

All said and done though, its made my top three deals in all my years of buying / playing games.

Hey, man, you shouldn't say such things, otherwise some people of this community will outright question your morals and allude to an apparent inferiority of yours without discerning the context of what you said beforehand.

EoyoteEgo_zps64d2864c.png

Congratz on getting what you wanted, though. Resogun looks great for a PS Plus freebie at launch.

Hey, man, you shouldn't say such things, otherwise some people of this community will outright question your morals and allude to an apparent inferiority of yours without discerning the context of what you said beforehand.

Congratz on getting what you wanted, though. Resogun looks great for a PS Plus freebie at launch.
:p Point taken, but I think I skirted the lines without taking advantage of anyone. Hell I even traded my PS3 Ghosts with a kid in line at EB Games who had only managed to snatch a french copy of the game. He was waiting in line there to see if they would trade him the brand new french copy for an english one (obviously they would not, said they'd give him 30$). Hell even if they would have, they'd have sent him packing for being under age :p

And yea Resogun might very well end up being the first thing I play on my PS4... The first game I played on Vita was Super Stardust Delta, which was so perfectly suited to the Vita's controls :D And I've got very fond memories of SS HD on PS3. Seems Resogun will likely be the perfect game to get accustomed to the Dualshock 4 :)

This deal sucks for anybody that didn't get there Saturday morning since that's when the stores near went out stock. I kind of wish this deal never happened because now I'm left wondering what could've been. I didn't make there in time.

I might as well post here that I'm willing to pay 30$ for  bf4 or ghosts (xbox360) to anyone in Brampton who's interested in selling 

There were a few more people lined up at my FS this morning. Some lucky people got BF4 later on though as a couple boxes were found that were buried in the back. It didn't seem like too many people were upset, just a bit disappointed.

The info I got on this deal was that some company paid FS out for the games and that the deal was only made a week or so ago. Most employees didn't even know about it until Friday night or Saturday morning. There was no additional stock recieved for this promotion.

Pretty good deal for FS. No loss of money on games and pure profit from all those used games, even if most of them are crap, some people were trading in recent ones like Last of Us.

There were a few more people lined up at my FS this morning. Some lucky people got BF4 later on though as a couple boxes were found that were buried in the back. It didn't seem like too many people were upset, just a bit disappointed.

The info I got on this deal was that some company paid FS out for the games and that the deal was only made a week or so ago. Most employees didn't even know about it until Friday night or Saturday morning. There was no additional stock recieved for this promotion.

Pretty good deal for FS. No loss of money on games and pure profit from all those used games, even if most of them are crap, some people were trading in recent ones like Last of Us.
WHAT?? Someone traded in the Last of Us? holy hell....

Seriously! That makes me feel like I just died a little on the inside...
I realize now that I should have gone there with garbage games not to trade to futureshop but to trade to anyone who was going to give them a good game when they could have just given away garbage. I bet you could have made a pretty good haul by just going front to back trading with everyone in the lines at all the locations.

Anyone know when Future Shop & Best Buy get shipments?

B4 it opens...11:00 am...anytime? I could get off at 1:00 pm & FS is 3 minutes away...

You mad that you got called out for being a reseller? Guess I shouldn't be surprised considering what part of the city you're in...

You mad that you got called out for being a reseller? Guess I shouldn't be surprised considering what part of the city you're in...
1. Quite the unfounded accusation. And like quadraphonic whom also replied to me, you've also had the point of my post outing Kijiji trolls/harassers go right over your head. Instead you took the opportunity in an attempt to insult me. Like I said in my reply to you, which hopefully you won't dodge here aswell, where is all this coming from exactly? Because I'm surprised. Surely we've crossed paths on here and RFD numerous times before; infact you even responded to me in the Target Clearance thread recently in a decent manner. I never had a problem with you, and apart from some of my opinions on gaming separate from deals, which all of us have shared at one point or another, I don't think anyone's had a problem with me on here or RFD.

2. See, that there. Making such a generalization based on where I live in Calgary. Could you be any more of a piece of shit person. Care to take a guess on my ethnicity while you're at it? Maybe it's something less trivial to sate your own self-affirmation, and you wanna compare achievements or trophies to see who's more authentic a gamer between the two of us?

Really.

TL;DR. The only person getting called out here is you, man. And honestly, if I were you, I'd be mad at myself for making such an impetuous and ignorant comment... twice.

Anyone know when Future Shop & Best Buy get shipments?

B4 it opens...11:00 am...anytime? I could get off at 1:00 pm & FS is 3 minutes away...
Don't bother. My brother attempted day 2. Got there 2 hours early and took spot 22 in the line. Day 2's stock was 20 games.

I realize now that I should have gone there with garbage games not to trade to futureshop but to trade to anyone who was going to give them a good game when they could have just given away garbage. I bet you could have made a pretty good haul by just going front to back trading with everyone in the lines at all the locations.
I'd actually think this promo would've been a million times better if instead of giving out hot new releases, they simply let you 1:1 trade for any used game they had. Yeah, the guys that lined up really early would take all the really valuable games, but most stuff worth buying was blown out @ 50% off last week. They'd never run out of stock, and virtually every customer that showed up would have a positive trading experience through them. Which was the whole point, wasn't it?

Mine didn't even have a Day 2 for this. They were both completely sold out, I asked if they would have restocked on Monday, guy said no. So, it was only Saturday for me.

Call me a downer if you like, but I just can't bring myself to wade through the dregs of humanity (aka the RFD crowd)...
Agreed. I happened to be there on Sunday and asked how it went. The store near me said they had 1000 copies of all 3 games, and ran out by 1:30 but it took until 8PM to clear the line. Glad I didn't bother waiting in a line up. By the time I play them they will be $10 to $20 anyways.

I was a bit of a bastard. Went to downtown FS saw the line bought a copy of Ghosts for ps3 when there was only 10 copies left. Went to my local FS the next day and returned it and did the trade in (with no line), no issues. People must have been lining up for hours. 

I went close to 30 mins after the stores opened. went to Futureshop and saw the line up wrap around inside. and i was like ugh yea i knew this was gonna happen. then the guy was like " oh hey you here for the games ?  yea we have limited copies in and were not even sure if we have enough for all the people in line especially cause of the reserves "   i responded really ? you didn't cancel the reserves so it would be more fair to the people who got out of be for opening time to get there game ? that is freaking sad ! hell with this turned around and walked out.

went to best buy they said they had hundreds of copies of games and some reservations -_-  and i said oh god really i said if anything reservations shouldn't have been kept that's one of the reasons i walked out on FS. what's up with the games here for reservations is it alot and he said " probably about 5% of games are spoken for it's a low number "  so i said ok went to the truck  got my games and went in like .. a hour and a half later i got to the front of the line and they said one game per person and i said ok so seperate transactions then. ok cool. so i got a game and my mother who drove me got another game as well. i had a 3rd game in the vechile waiting incase i got games from Future shop as well  ( was trying for all 3 games i would have given Ghosts to my cousin as a chirstmas gift )  but i ended up getting AC4 and  BF4   which i am happy about.

got home after looked on here then saw someone said RFD Nutjobs ( or something like that )  are going crazy,  go to RFD website and i read someone from here .. went to the futureshop i went to at 7:30 in the morning and when doors open  he was the 9th person in line and traded 3 games for 3  -_-  Futureshop never even kept true to there word on how shit goes. EVEN if someone reserved the games. it is suppose to be one perday   they didn't say they brought anyone if i am correct, and i thought to myself  maybe i should have stayed in futureshop and got 3 games at the same time since it didn't matter to them.  at least BB kept to the rules of how it worked. ( not sure on the people who reserved all 3 games and went alone )  but then after thinking about it.... i am glad i left to go to best buy cause most likely the store would have ran out for doing the trades " wrong "   

funny how Futureshop can break the rules on stuff but sometimes FS can pull BS Moves over people's Eyes to benefit themselves. i'll keep this in mind for when they screw me over with something next time i guess  ( if it cost them or not i don't care. they didn't follow there own damn rules that does get me ticked. i wonder if anyone walked away from the store not getting anything based on this like others have mentioned for there own repective store )       anyways i traded  COD 3 for AC4  and i traded  Halo 3 for  BF4  ( which had a 48 hour trial card unused that was expired which i don't know if it still would have worked or not  but i left it in as a bonus incase it did work cause i don't use the 360 anymore )   360 games for PS3 Copies of games.      

i don't think we will ever get the oppertunity of having a deal like that ever again. or in our life time.

I went close to 30 mins after the stores opened. went to Futureshop and saw the line up wrap around inside. and i was like ugh yea i knew this was gonna happen. then the guy was like " oh hey you here for the games ? yea we have limited copies in and were not even sure if we have enough for all the people in line especially cause of the reserves " i responded really ? you didn't cancel the reserves so it would be more fair to the people who got out of be for opening time to get there game ? that is freaking sad ! hell with this turned around and walked out.

went to best buy they said they had hundreds of copies of games and some reservations -_- and i said oh god really i said if anything reservations shouldn't have been kept that's one of the reasons i walked out on FS. what's up with the games here for reservations is it alot and he said " probably about 5% of games are spoken for it's a low number " so i said ok went to the truck got my games and went in like .. a hour and a half later i got to the front of the line and they said one game per person and i said ok so seperate transactions then. ok cool. so i got a game and my mother who drove me got another game as well. i had a 3rd game in the vechile waiting incase i got games from Future shop as well ( was trying for all 3 games i would have given Ghosts to my cousin as a chirstmas gift ) but i ended up getting AC4 and BF4 which i am happy about.

got home after looked on here then saw someone said RFD Nutjobs ( or something like that ) are going crazy, go to RFD website and i read someone from here .. went to the futureshop i went to at 7:30 in the morning and when doors open he was the 9th person in line and traded 3 games for 3 -_- Futureshop never even kept true to there word on how shit goes. EVEN if someone reserved the games. it is suppose to be one perday they didn't say they brought anyone if i am correct, and i thought to myself maybe i should have stayed in futureshop and got 3 games at the same time since it didn't matter to them. at least BB kept to the rules of how it worked. ( not sure on the people who reserved all 3 games and went alone ) but then after thinking about it.... i am glad i left to go to best buy cause most likely the store would have ran out for doing the trades " wrong "

funny how Futureshop can break the rules on stuff but sometimes FS can pull BS Moves over people's Eyes to benefit themselves. i'll keep this in mind for when they screw me over with something next time i guess ( if it cost them or not i don't care. they didn't follow there own damn rules that does get me ticked. i wonder if anyone walked away from the store not getting anything based on this like others have mentioned for there own repective store ) anyways i traded COD 3 for AC4 and i traded Halo 3 for BF4 ( which had a 48 hour trial card unused that was expired which i don't know if it still would have worked or not but i left it in as a bonus incase it did work cause i don't use the 360 anymore ) 360 games for PS3 Copies of games.

i don't think we will ever get the oppertunity of having a deal like that ever again. or in our life time.
Yeah, i saw a lot of people bringing their parents just so they can snag two or three games. I think that's kind of a cheap thing to do as well cause obviously the two games are for you, unless your mom plays it as well. That wasn't the case for this kid who brought his grandmother and she asked for a copy of "battleford ghosts 4" at the cash register beside me...I didn't really care since I got my copy but I thought it was unfair that someone was gonna miss out on a game because some dude brought his poor grandmother to stand in line for 3 hours. But meh, a lot of people abused the rules of this promotion...people who reserved...futureshop for allowing one person to snag all 3 games...and people who brought parents along with them to snag all 3 games.

Yeah, i saw a lot of people bringing their parents just so they can snag two or three games. I think that's kind of a cheap thing to do as well cause obviously the two games are for you, unless your mom plays it as well. That wasn't the case for this kid who brought his grandmother and she asked for a copy of "battleford ghosts 4" at the cash register beside me...I didn't really care since I got my copy but I thought it was unfair that someone was gonna miss out on a game because some dude brought his poor grandmother to stand in line for 3 hours. But meh, a lot of people abused the rules of this promotion...people who reserved...futureshop for allowing one person to snag all 3 games...and people who brought parents along with them to snag all 3 games.
it may not be cheap. one of said games can be a gift for said kid later down the road . like christmas time. this way kid plays one game now and christmas time plays the new game gotten for christmas. or maybe a parent was getting it for another son or daughter who was not there. by either way. it is fair since it was separate people and not just one. i can see how you think it's kinda cheap. but IMO it's fair i was following the rules ( and no my mother does not play these types of games ) i can only imagine if she did tho ... me and my mother fighting over the PS3 console LOL

gotta say; i'd rather some younger kid get 3 games he'll play and enjoy, over the older ones who abused this just for profit.

..ebay and craigslist are a sad sight today; amazing all the 'brand new/never opened' games that just popped up.

congrats to those who participated. what a deal. (my local FS didn't participate unfortunately:( ..but the looks of things, these games will be pretty cheap secondhand soon)

Wow, lots of hooplah here about this deal. I didn't follow anything after initially reading about it here. I just reserved Assassin's Creed IV at a couple locations to make sure I would get a copy (I didn't see anything about not reserving, and the guy at BB seemed fine with it). I actually got both copies, so I traded one with a kid in line who got CoD Ghosts. I'm actually going to play and enjoy both of these, though.

I can't believe any store had a Day 2. My FS was sold out after an hour, so I went to BB, and there must have been 400 people in line. I waited in line 2 hours. They must have had a ton of copies because there were 100 in line after me, and I saw the sales woman telling people they would _just_ have enough for them.

Saw lots of people with like 5 used games, hoping to be hoarders.

I'd have to think that instead of waiting in line two hours + driving they could have just picked up an extra shift and paid for the game easier... mind you I guess only if they were making $20/hour. I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't have my son with me, so we were both able to get a copy of AC (he lives with his Mom, so no I don't have 2 copies in the house).

I thought about giving my daughter a used game to trade in (as she was with us), but she isn't really a console gamer, and I didn't feel good about someone waiting in line 2 hours, and then not getting a game because I got greedy.

Anyway, definitely the craziest trade in promo I have come across in 7  years of this site.

bread's done
Back