Game cliches that have got to go

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
What game cliches appear far too often that you wish would just go away?

-RPG's and the whole random battlerama/ridiculous puzzle laden/big ass boss at the end of them dungeons. A glowing example of 'oh God, eff it' would be Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Is it just me or do your characters never really seem to 'overpower' opponents? I mean, if I'm level 30 and I come back to a dungeon with enemies which were hard for you at a level 5, don't tell me that same enemy can still drop a nonspell/noncombo hit on you for 45 HP!!!

How can I totally forget this one: racial/gender stereotypes... all Black guys must be 'urban', Asian people are masters of the martial arts, women are helpless lots that must be saved on a daily basis (or reduced to Mai 'bounce' status - thank God for games like Rumble Roses that give women a positive light . :? ::sarcasm:: :? )

-infinitely respawning enemies- I always like to kill every enemy I come across, so this is often something that brings about my doom. I will sit their and kill wave after wave of infinite baddies, until I finally die. Or at the very least if they are going to throw an infinite number of guys at me, they should at least have an in-game character say, "Looks like there are far too many to fight. Just run" or something so that I don't waste my time.

Also games that throw you in an environment with absolutely no clue what to do. I don't want the game to point out the way for me, but there are far too many games where you are stuck in a level and you need to do some arbitary thing that was obvious to the designers, because they designed it, but is obtuse to you.

-The ability to get lots and lots of monetary items and having nothing to spend it on. Prime example: any Zelda game. You can max out at 999 rupies, but nothing in that game ever goes for that rate, or you max out for the rest of the game.

[quote name='Fatesealer']What game cliches appear far too often that you wish would just go away?

-RPG's and the whole random battlerama/ridiculous puzzle laden/big ass boss at the end of them dungeons. A glowing example of 'oh God, eff it' would be Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Is it just me or do your characters never really seem to 'overpower' opponents? I mean, if I'm level 30 and I come back to a dungeon with enemies which were hard for you at a level 5, don't tell me that same enemy can still drop a nonspell/noncombo hit on you for 45 HP!!![/quote]

That's not a glitch. It is a game design.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Scantilly clad huge breasted women that can kick everyone's butts.[/quote]

What, you gay? I don't got anything against that lifestyle but why would any man say that if he wasn't?

The submarine level.

The ice level.

The precision jump level.

Mario game designer credo: "Kids love precision jumping! I am not releasing this game until there is more precision jumping!!"

Anything with a slider. You know, like in golf games, or freethrows in basketball games. It's 2004 and this is the best game mechanic developers can come up with to represent these activities?

I'm glad one cliché that has died out is the obligatory mine cart level.

I suppose this would be considered a cliché: in action-RPGs or even RPGs, dividing everyone evenly into classes with separate abilities. You have the fighter, the magic user, and the thief. Why not mix it up a bit and have someone who can wield magic and fight fairly proficiently? It be unbalanced a bit, but I'm sure there are ways to even it out. Why not have more classes? I liked the job system of FF V and FF Tactics, and although it's a little too in-depth for an action RPG like BG:DA, why not have a little bit more flexibility in class choice? It was nice to see Diablo II and BG:DA2 take a step forward and offer some unconventional choices (Barbarian, Necromancer, Monk in BG:DA2); I just wish more games would offer new choices like these instead of Fighter, Thief, Wizard.

Another RPG cliche: how every town you go to has a 'problem' which prevents you from going into another town.

'I know your final quest is at the Silver Tower, but you can't get there just yet. Our town needs WATER, DAMNIT, and you band of questers will help us... hmm... now I now this may seem totally random and unthought of before, but gee... there IS an Aqua Crystal in the valley of shadows... and if you bring it to us, we will have water again...'

These remind me of those old 70's super hero cartoons where, no matter WHAT the device was that was created by the villian, the hero always knew what it did AND what its name was. 'An atomizer defense mechanism? Zounds!!'

[quote name='camoor']The submarine level.

The ice level.

Mario game designer credo: "Kids love precision jumping! I am not releasing this game until there is more precision jumping!!"[/quote]

For some reason, all platformers are like this. 'Hey, we need levels, people... any ideas? Hmm... an ice level eh? Ok, but only if we do a fire/volcano level... brilliant!'

[quote name='camoor']The submarine level.

The ice level.

Mario game designer credo: "Kids love precision jumping! I am not releasing this game until there is more precision jumping!!"[/quote]

the levels w/o the water pack were the best in the game and most focused on precision jumping.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Another RPG cliche: how every town you go to has a 'problem' which prevents you from going into another town.

'I know your final quest is at the Silver Tower, but you can't get there just yet. Our town needs WATER, DAMNIT, and you band of questers will help us... hmm... now I now this may seem totally random and unthought of before, but gee... there IS an Aqua Crystal in the valley of shadows... and if you bring it to us, we will have water again...'

These remind me of those old 70's super hero cartoons where, no matter WHAT the device was that was created by the villian, the hero always knew what it did AND what its name was. 'An atomizer defense mechanism? Zounds!!'[/quote]

Would you rather go to towns that have nothing to do with the story? Towns that don't even need to be there, that are just filler? I wouldn't.

[quote name='Trakan']Would you rather go to towns that have nothing to do with the story? Towns that don't even need to be there, that are just filler? I wouldn't.[/quote]

Filler towns wouldn't hurt now and again...

inability to swim, apparently 90% of characters have no idea how to swim and just drown, its less of a cliche and more of a pet peeve, but oh well

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='camoor']The submarine level.

The ice level.

For some reason, all platformers are like this. 'Hey, we need levels, people... any ideas? Hmm... an ice level eh? Ok, but only if we do a fire/volcano level... brilliant!'[/quote]

Too true, there are many cliched platformer levels but I hate these for a reason:

Submarine: Sluggish controls =\= fun

Ice: Quit sliding around dammit! Delaying my input isn't fun, it's freaking annoying!

Precision jumping: Great, a bunch of cheap one-mistake deaths that depend on split-second timing with no payoff in terms of eyecandy. Count me out.

you have a 12 gauge shotgun, but you have to run around like a pansy to find a damn key to open a door. Shot the damn door, stomp the crap out of it , but nooooo with out the "special" key you can't go in (Resident Evil).

Evil villians that explain there plans, even though you have a gun and can easily shoot them in the face half way into there speech "Haha, my evil plan is in a effect theres nothing you can do....::BLAM BLAM...THUMP....ROLL CREDITS::

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Cliche> Hero rescuing a princess. It would be interesting to see the princess rescue the prince for a change.[/quote]

Enough rescuing things, be they people or places... I would love to truly play an RPG that is from the bad guy's perspective, where you must take over, pillage, whatever.

And EXP points/upgrades has to change somehow. You get these lead characters that have been questing for years or so we're lead to believe, training for centuries to perfect their craft........... but yet, we always start with them as Level 1. At least in FF7, Cloud started off at a level 7.

[quote name='Jrunt20x'][quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Scantilly clad huge breasted women that can kick everyone's butts.[/quote]

What, you gay? I don't got anything against that lifestyle but why would any man say that if he wasn't?[/quote]

I'm not gay and I agree with the no Scantilly clad women. Sure they are nice to look at, but for most games it just seems out of place. Alot of developers think they can just throw in a hot girl in their game to increase sales.

I hate the whole, the company/group/team you are part of for the first 1/2 of the game turn out to be evil and the "bad guys" are really the good guys.

OMG YOU"VE BEEN USED !!!

I hate that in games.

I'm also tired of the scantily clad women. I can't stand looking at the women characters in Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate. Their chests are blown way out of proportion, armor that barely covers anything. I was somewhat embarassed when my younger cousin and I started playing BG and the conversation with the bar maiden pops up.

[quote name='KingDox']I hate the whole, the company/group/team you used are part of for the first 1/2 of the game turn out to be evil and the "bad guys" are really the good guys.

OMG YOU"VE BEEN USED !!!

I hate that in games.[/quote]

On that note, I hate games that are so story dependant that after you've played it through once it becomes a pain to play again, like Metal Gear Soild 2 and all the story, I tried beating the game again but all that stuff ruined it for me.

I couldn't get through Golden Sun on the GBA because of all the RPG cliches, it was the first time i felt like i had already played a game a milllion times. Never touched it again.

Prophecy, the return of Ultimate Evil and the Chosen One. 98% of all RPGs have the exact same story: some super ultimate evil was killed/sealed away a thousand years ago, but the prophecy says that he will return some day, and some random kid (sometimes the reincarnation of the person who took care of the bad guy in the first place, but not necessarily) will be the Chosen One and defeat the Evil One for all time (or at least until the sequel.)

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='GuilewasNK']Cliche> Hero rescuing a princess. It would be interesting to see the princess rescue the prince for a change.[/quote]

Enough rescuing things, be they people or places... I would love to truly play an RPG that is from the bad guy's perspective, where you must take over, pillage, whatever.

And EXP points/upgrades has to change somehow. You get these lead characters that have been questing for years or so we're lead to believe, training for centuries to perfect their craft........... but yet, we always start with them as Level 1. At least in FF7, Cloud started off at a level 7.[/quote]

Yeah I'd love to play an RPG where i get to be a villan trying to rule the world. That's be the coolest.

i'm tired of happy endings. I'd like a game that ended on a down note (warented though, i can't stand an ending that does follow w/ a series ::coughevacough::

[quote name='evilpenguin9000'][quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='GuilewasNK']Cliche> Hero rescuing a princess. It would be interesting to see the princess rescue the prince for a change.[/quote]

And EXP points/upgrades has to change somehow. You get these lead characters that have been questing for years or so we're lead to believe, training for centuries to perfect their craft........... but yet, we always start with them as Level 1. At least in FF7, Cloud started off at a level 7.[/quote]

Yeah I'd love to play an RPG where i get to be a villan trying to rule the world. That's be the coolest.[/quote]

It's been done before somewhat..

You guys REALLY need to try Tecmo's Deception series on the PS One. (That is where Millenia in my sig comes from.) There is a Deception game called Kagero II coming out in Japan in 2005 that should make it's way here eventually.

Kagero: Deception II (IGN Review)
Kagero: Deception II (Gamespot Review)

From GameSpot...

For those of you not familiar with Tecmo's Deception, it was one of the most innovative games of the year when it was released back in 1996. Basically a real-time strategy RPG of sorts, Deception eschewed the usual sword and sorcery cliche, for a more unique approach to what people called a role-playing game. You were brought back from the dead after making a deal with the devil to wreak havoc on those responsible for your fate. Instead of leading the charge against an army of foes, like they do in most RPGs, you were trying to lure your enemies in your castle into your wide array of traps. Kagero: Deception 2 builds on that premise.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='evilpenguin9000'][quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='GuilewasNK']Cliche> Hero rescuing a princess. It would be interesting to see the princess rescue the prince for a change.[/quote]

Yeah I'd love to play an RPG where i get to be a villan trying to rule the world. That's be the coolest.[/quote]

It's been done before somewhat..

You guys REALLY need to try Tecmo's Deception series on the PS One. (That is where Millenia in my sig comes from.) There is a Deception game called Kagero II coming out in Japan in 2005 that should make it's way here eventually.

Kagero: Deception II (IGN Review)
Kagero: Deception II (Gamespot Review)

From GameSpot...

For those of you not familiar with Tecmo's Deception, it was one of the most innovative games of the year when it was released back in 1996. Basically a real-time strategy RPG of sorts, Deception eschewed the usual sword and sorcery cliche, for a more unique approach to what people called a role-playing game. You were brought back from the dead after making a deal with the devil to wreak havoc on those responsible for your fate. Instead of leading the charge against an army of foes, like they do in most RPGs, you were trying to lure your enemies in your castle into your wide array of traps. Kagero: Deception 2 builds on that premise.
[/quote]

From what I hear the Dungeon Keeper series has a similar premise.

The Deception series freakin rules. I played the hell out of part 2 and 3, and I hope the new sequel makes it out here.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='KingDox']I hate the whole, the company/group/team you used are part of for the first 1/2 of the game turn out to be evil and the "bad guys" are really the good guys.

OMG YOU"VE BEEN USED !!!

On that note, I hate games that are so story dependant that after you've played it through once it becomes a pain to play again, like Metal Gear Soild 2 and all the story, I tried beating the game again but all that stuff ruined it for me.[/quote]

I bought MGS: Substance for Xbox when it was $5 at CC. I played through and beat it on PS2 already. Ask me how many times I've played it on Xbox... go on, I dare you... :shock:

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='KingDox']I hate the whole, the company/group/team you used are part of for the first 1/2 of the game turn out to be evil and the "bad guys" are really the good guys.

OMG YOU"VE BEEN USED !!!

On that note, I hate games that are so story dependant that after you've played it through once it becomes a pain to play again, like Metal Gear Soild 2 and all the story, I tried beating the game again but all that stuff ruined it for me.[/quote]

I bought MGS: Substance for Xbox when it was $5 at CC. I played through and beat it on PS2 already. Ask me how many times I've played it on Xbox... go on, I dare you... :shock:[/quote]

How many times did you play it on the xbox?

[quote name='ZForce']The Deception series freakin rules. I played the hell out of part 2 and 3, and I hope the new sequel makes it out here.[/quote]

You damn right it rules. I still need to play the third one though.

bread's done
Back