Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='javeryh']Anyone getting amped up for this? The previews make it look like it is going to be epic.[/QUOTE]
I can't wait. Between this and the announcement of book 5 I'm going crazy.

[quote name='javeryh']Anyone getting amped up for this? The previews make it look like it is going to be epic.[/QUOTE]

Quite. I've watched the previews more times than is reasonable.

[quote name='bvharris']Quite. I've watched the previews more times than is reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Every time I see it I hope that girl takes a little more of her shirt off but it never happens. Her boobs are fantastic.

[quote name='javeryh']Every time I see it I hope that girl takes a little more of her shirt off but it never happens. Her boobs are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

You'll have to tune in to see. Well played, HBO. :D

I'm curious how much they've watered down some of the elements of the novels which would be considered controversial (then again, it is HBO). I noticed they aged most of the younger characters, though I suppose that's to be expected. I'd be surprised if they took out all of the
incest
though, since without going into spoilers most of it is pretty integral to the plot as I recall, especially in Game of Thrones.

[quote name='bvharris']You'll have to tune in to see. Well played, HBO. :D

I'm curious how much they've watered down some of the elements of the novels which would be considered controversial (then again, it is HBO). I noticed they aged most of the younger characters, though I suppose that's to be expected. I'd be surprised if they took out all of the
incest
though, since without going into spoilers most of it is pretty integral to the plot as I recall, especially in Game of Thrones.[/QUOTE]
If you watch the trailer about the Targaryans they mention their marriage practices. So I'd assume that's all left in.

The incest between
Jaime and Cersei
is actually a plot point, so they can't reveal that in the promos.

There are 2 reasons for aging the characters. The primary concern is the taboo of underage sex. The second is that they can get older, more skilled actors to play the parts, as is the case with Bran, Rickon, Thomen, etc.

Yeah, I definitely get the reasons, I agree with the choice to make them older for sure. How old was Daenerys at the beginning of Game of Thrones? 13?

[quote name='bvharris']Yeah, I definitely get the reasons, I agree with the choice to make them older for sure. How old was Daenerys at the beginning of Game of Thrones? 13?[/QUOTE]

Around that age, she's a young teenager.

[quote name='Anexanhume']
There are 2 reasons for aging the characters. The primary concern is the taboo of underage sex. The second is that they can get older, more skilled actors to play the parts, as is the case with Bran, Rickon, Thomen, etc.[/QUOTE]

Also, a lot of time is supposed to have elapsed in the books by the time it ends. It's a unique scenario given that the seasons last for unpredictable periods. So by the time "winter comes", the Stark kids will be young adults with adult problems, so having older actors will make it more believable down the road.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Also, a lot of time is supposed to have elapsed in the books by the time it ends. It's a unique scenario given that the seasons last for unpredictable periods. So by the time "winter comes", the Stark kids will be young adults with adult problems, so having older actors will make it more believable down the road.[/QUOTE]

Makes me wonder if they will film multiple seasons at once if the first one is a runaway success. No question the material is there. Arguably books 2 and 3 are even better than book 1. Book 4, not so much but if they can interweave it with book 5 it could come out good.

They can't film multiple seasons at once. They'd get caught up too quick and George has two more books to write. He said he moved a lot of book 5 stuff into book 6, but I'd still wager it'll take him 2-3 years to finish the next book, and that's a generous estimate.

I'm still thinking HBO will get caught up and the show will be stuck in limbo for a few years waiting for George to write the last book.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']They can't film multiple seasons at once. They'd get caught up too quick and George has two more books to write. He said he moved a lot of book 5 stuff into book 6, but I'd still wager it'll take him 2-3 years to finish the next book, and that's a generous estimate.

I'm still thinking HBO will get caught up and the show will be stuck in limbo for a few years waiting for George to write the last book.[/QUOTE]

Well asumming that there will be 5 seasons (3 for the first 3 books and 2 mixed with crows and dragons) GRRM has enough time to finish the series if he goes back to his original pace. But it seems, unfortunatMely, likely that we could reach a scenario where both the last book and last season of the show are put off for a long time.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Well asumming that there will be 5 seasons (3 for the first 3 books and 2 mixed with crows and dragons) GRRM has enough time to finish the series if he goes back to his original pace. But it seems, unfortunatMely, likely that we could reach a scenario where both the last book and last season of the show are put off for a long time.[/QUOTE]

I tend to think if it gets close to that point GRRM will get motivated or someone will motivate him with a truckload of cash.

Of course with the shows big budget I have alot of doubts about HBO sticking with the show to the end.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Well asumming that there will be 5 seasons (3 for the first 3 books and 2 mixed with crows and dragons) GRRM has enough time to finish the series if he goes back to his original pace. But it seems, unfortunatMely, likely that we could reach a scenario where both the last book and last season of the show are put off for a long time.[/QUOTE]

This assumes the show even gets further seasons. Given how much it cost to make, that's far from a certainty. If the show is a hit (which I suspect it will be) then it should be fine, but even HBO can't afford to make exorbitantly priced shows that no one watches.

[quote name='bvharris']This assumes the show even gets further seasons. Given how much it cost to make, that's far from a certainty. If the show is a hit (which I suspect it will be) then it should be fine, but even HBO can't afford to make exorbitantly priced shows that no one watches.[/QUOTE]

True enough. I just assume (hope) it will be a success given HBO's track record and the popularity of the series.

This is the manuscript for the 5th book. It's still going to get larger.

Anne-Groell-with-ADWD-ms-300x225.jpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyone else see the 15 minute preview tonight? It was awesome. Everything looked exactly how I pictured it from reading the books.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I've been looking for it and trying to set my DVR, must have missed it. Do you know if they're showing it again?

I set my DVR for the preview - my guide still won't allow me to record the series though and I know I'll probably forget.

If the show is a success and eventually catches up to the books, I'm sure HBO will just keep making new episodes at that point.

[quote name='bvharris']Damn, I've been looking for it and trying to set my DVR, must have missed it. Do you know if they're showing it again?[/QUOTE]

me too. could not find it on the guide. oh well, i think i can wait another 12 days...

The preview looked great, and like most of the HBO shows, very nice in HD. I was impressed with how they were using surround sound on the preview, so I'm hoping that like some of the other past shows on HBO (True Blood, Boardwalk Empire), it has decent surround sound use.

It was enough of a tease to get you interested if you weren't already interested. Nice to see the date being set of April 17th.

So what are the options for watching this? Only HBO? I thought I read about it being free streaming online as well or something a while back, but haven't heard anything about that recently.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So what are the options for watching this? Only HBO? I thought I read about it being free streaming online as well or something a while back, but haven't heard anything about that recently.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will be available online through... means. I doubt HBO would stream one of their programs online for free though.

Actually, it looks like they will be streaming online-I doubt any of the methods listed are legal though.

I'll probably just wait for the blu rays to come out and netflix them though. I have no easy way to get streaming video (other than Netflix on my 360) to my TV since my TV doesn't have a PC input and my laptop doesn't have any other video out ports. And I'd rather watch in HD on the big screen than on my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']I'm sure it will be available online through... means. I doubt HBO would stream one of their programs online for free though.[/QUOTE]They don't. It's a VOD service such as iTunes or Amazon, or via cable TV / satellite.

Anything other than those avenues is less than legal.

Oh well. I'll just wait for the disks to come out. I'm not that anxious for it anyway as I don't get that excited for film adaptations of things I read since I already know the story etc.

game-of-thrones.jpg

The moment many of us have been waiting for is here. Tonight is the premiere of the Game of Thrones TV series on HBO. Use this thread to discuss each episode. Please make sure to mark all spoilers. While a lot of us have read the books, and know what to expect, many of the people that may come in here might not have. So out of respect to them make sure to keep the spoilers hidden.

What: A fantasy series based on the popular books by George RR Martin
When: Sundays at 9pm EST on HBO
Why you should watch: Much darker than what most people think of as fantasy. You won't find any elves or fairies, any magic is very low key, and the focus is on political drama between the noble families. A very dark story where no character is safe.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk

Links

Official Site: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html
Viewiing Guide for GoT newbies: http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/?cmpid=ABC794

Most anticipated show ever.

My dilema... watch it on the east coast hbo feed in standard def 3 hours early, wait for the high def feed at 9pm or watch both...

I never heard of this or the books before watching the 15 minute trailer...and damn now their is no way I will miss an episode.

very excited for tonight premier!!!

Also remember, HBO is doing a pre-show special that begins 15 minutes before the start of tonight's episode. So if you're recording it you might want to set it a little early.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Also remember, HBO is doing a pre-show special that begins 15 minutes before the start of tonight's episode. So if you're recording it you might want to set it a little early.[/QUOTE]

whats the preshow special?

I feel like a kid trying like hell to fall asleep on Christmas Eve right now. It's going to be a long 90 minutes...

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oh well. I'll just wait for the disks to come out. I'm not that anxious for it anyway as I don't get that excited for film adaptations of things I read since I already know the story etc.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't read the books, I'd watch it now. Trust me, by the time the discs come out you'll have so many plot points spoiled randomly just by overhearing anybody that has already watched it. One in particular that is going to be like an atomic bomb dropped on the audience.

I'm reading the books now, currently on book 4.

I may watch the pilot as it's a free preview weekend for HBO on Directv this weekend.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']If you haven't read the books, I'd watch it now. Trust me, by the time the discs come out you'll have so many plot points spoiled randomly just by overhearing anybody that has already watched it. One in particular that is going to be like an atomic bomb dropped on the audience.[/QUOTE]

That by book 4 90% of all the interesting characters are dead?

bread's done
Back