Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']C'mon guys. We don't need to argue the merits of the 4th book in a thread about the first season of a TV show. We're talking about stuff that's years away and who knows what will and won't be included in the series.[/QUOTE]

I was really just talking about the show. If the show is to go for the long hall it cant get too bloated with different characters, places, and stories.

[quote name='dmaul1114']In any case, he's right that this a thread for the TV series and not the books. Perhaps someone could start a thread for discussing the books since maybe some more people will start reading them after watching the show?[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea, make a book thread so that all the book discussion doesn't have to be spoiler tagged every post.

[quote name='MattJ1991']All this book talk is making me really want to read the books. My problem is there length....[/QUOTE]

They're long for sure, but GRRM's writing style isn't particularly dense, so they actually read pretty quick. The most trying part is probably keeping track of the immense cast of characters, but you get the hang of it.

Plus, if a book is good who cares how long it is?

[quote name='bvharris']Plus, if a book is good who cares how long it is?[/QUOTE]

That's true, I just have trouble keeping myself on track with a book half the size of these. Maybe I'll give it a shot. No harm in trying right?

Yep. It's taking me a long time as I generally just read a chapter or two a night. I started the first one in late January, and I'm finally nearing the end of book 4.

But it's a good read for the most part, so I don't mind reading just this series the past couple of months vs. reading more shorter books.

It is an easy read as well I'd agree. It's just not going quick for me as it hasn't sucked me and made me want to read more than just before sleeping like some books do. It's entertaining for sure, but I'm seldom on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. Especially since with all the different POVs when something big does happen it may be a 100 pages or more before you get back to it anyway.

MAJOR book spoilers (from books 3 and 4) below...lurkers have been warned.

[quote name='Anexanhume']
The Hound is dead, with only the smallest doubt possible there. Arya left him to die and his corpse was picked clean for his armor as the story suggests.).
[/QUOTE]

There's heavy indication that's not true at all. Arya refused to kill him as he wished and left him. Later someone at a monastery claimed to have buried the Hound. But there was a mysterious limping man at the monastery that was "good with the dogs" and took care of them. That was most certainly Sandor. He was a broken man when Arya left him and gave up his life as The Hound. His armor was taken from his "gravesite" (likely an empty grave, that the head of the monastery fabricated to give Sandor a new start). All the while Rorge was creating havoc across the countryside wearing Sandor's helm.

George doesn't believe in bringing back characters who we thought we dead (pulling a Gandolf).
What about Catelyn? She seemed pretty dead to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we establish that when we're posting a spoiler, that if it is regards to the aired episodes thus far or to the entirety of book 1 or if it's in regards to the entire canon of the series of books up to this point? This is important to someone like myself who is still in the midst of book 2.

[quote name='dastly75']Can we establish that when we're posting a spoiler, that if it is regards to the aired episodes thus far or to the entirety of book 1 or if it's in regards to the entire canon of the series of books up to this point? This is important to someone like myself who is still in the midst of book 2.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, maybe we should make simple keys for that?

Show = S Spoilers
Book 1 = B1 Spoilers?

and so on?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']MAJOR book spoilers (from books 3 and 4) below...lurkers have been warned.

There's heavy indication that's not true at all. Arya refused to kill him as he wished and left him. Later someone at a monastery claimed to have buried the Hound. But there was a mysterious limping man at the monastery that was "good with the dogs" and took care of them. That was most certainly Sandor. He was a broken man when Arya left him and gave up his life as The Hound. His armor was taken from his "gravesite" (likely an empty grave, that the head of the monastery fabricated to give Sandor a new start). All the while Rorge was creating havoc across the countryside wearing Sandor's helm.

What about Catelyn? She seemed pretty dead to me.
[/QUOTE]

I'll concede the first point as very possible if not probable, but as for the second one,

B3

Catelyn is dead. The corpse that has been resurrected is not her from what I have read. I think the fact that Berric is a very odd man suggests that the person does not come back as themselves.

[quote name='Anexanhume']
Catelyn is dead. The corpse that has been resurrected is not her from what I have read. I think the fact that Berric is a very odd man suggests that the person does not come back as themselves.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed with that.

B4 spoiler

I don't think the real Catelyn would have been so short and harsh with Brienne etc.

Another case of people appearing dead but not necessarily so (B2-4 spoilers)

Theon "killing" Bran and Rickon. He let you think they were dead for several chapters (and other characters still think they are dead), before revealing they got away and Theon just killed other kids and mounted their skulls on the wall to make it look like he killed them.

Also a case with Brienne in Book 4 where you think she's killed by Biter--but that was much less a "fake death" than the above case as it was just a fade to black.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I'll concede the first point as very possible if not probable, but as for the second one,

B3

[/QUOTE]

(book serieswide spoilers)
She does seem strange now, but I think it's really her. Catelyn is just batshit crazy, after all the loss (both real and fabricated) that she has gone through. Beric is messed up, but I think that's because he's been brought back a ton of times even after having been warned of the toll it takes.

I also heard speculation that Qyburn is has some secret project in the dungeons of King's Landing making some sort of Frankenstein monster out of The Mountain. Might be a stretch for that to happen though.

The ratings will definitely improve. You can usually tell when the show is a hit in HBO's eyes by when they do a marathon for it, when they realize they have a big audience and want to flaunt it. I think The Sopranos took around 3 episodes before it got a marathon. The Wire took like 6 or 7, which is a shame because that was the best show they ever had (or any network could ever hope to have) and it's still a relatively obscure show that a lot of people unfortunately missed out on.

This show might have a tough go at it. Because it's a fantasy show (light fantasy, but a niche genre all the same) and those haven't captured an audience lately. I heard Starz cancelled Camelot after the premiere. And part of the reason was probably because Starz intentionally fast-tracked the show's production so it would premiere before GoT killed it dead. At least HBO is dedicated to this like no other show before, because of the encore viewings and renewing it after only one episode. It also helps that one of the bigwigs at HBO read the books when they were deciding what shows to greenlight and he became a hardcore GRRM nerd and pushed hard for it to make the cut.

Thanks for the EP2 preview, HBO didn't bother showing one, just a series wide teaser.

Looks like there's going to be some Needle action! Can't wait to see Castle Black.

Nice to finally have a show on TV again where I can be just as excited to watch the second episode as I was for the premiere.

another good episode. i feel like the direwolves arent getting the attention they should. hopefully ghost and summer get a lot more screen time down the road.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']another good episode. i feel like the direwolves arent getting the attention they should. hopefully ghost and summer get a lot more screen time down the road.[/QUOTE]

They probably should have gave them all a little more attention this episode to increase of the impact of the ending. It was odd not seeing Ghost with all the screen time Jon Snow had.

And is it ARE YAH or ARE EE YAH. I swear they said it different in each episode.

[quote name='yankeessuck']They probably should have gave them all a little more attention this episode to increase of the impact of the ending. It was odd not seeing Ghost with all the screen time Jon Snow had.

And is it ARE YAH or ARE EE YAH. I swear they said it different in each episode.[/QUOTE]

My fiancé and I kept wondering where ghost was. And I agree, I think Lady's death will just go over people's heads if they haven't read the books. But even with a 10 hour series you have to cut something's out I suppose.

I've added the episode 3 preview link to the OP, but for some reason it's linking a private version of the episode 2 preview. Maybe it will fix itself (the video was only uploaded 30 minutes ago).

Here's the text link:

watch?v=CSxODw7y1AE

What is the significance of Lady being killed in the books? Also, I can't remember his name (Joffery?), but I wanted to beat the crap out of that bratty prince. I felt sorry for him when Tyrion was slapping him around near the beginning, but what a little prick he was near the end.

[quote name='Clak'] I felt sorry for him when Tyrion was slapping him around near the beginning[/QUOTE]

That was your first mistake. ;)

I've been generally impressed how the characters who are huge tools in the books have been extremely accurately cast in that respect, none moreso than Joffrey.

[quote name='Clak']What is the significance of Lady being killed in the books? Also, I can't remember his name (Joffery?), but I wanted to beat the crap out of that bratty prince. I felt sorry for him when Tyrion was slapping him around near the beginning, but what a little prick he was near the end.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you haven't read the books by your post.

The TV series hasn't really shown how close the Starks are to the Direwolves. The children bond very closely to the animals and reflect the owners. So Lady being killed was really personal to the family. Also (I think) that Lady being killed is the first dose, in many doses to come, of life at court for the Starks in general, and especially for Sansa who grows up idolizing life at court.

If you hated Joffery in this episode just wait and see how much you hate him by the end of the season!

Spoiler free synopsis of episode 2:
DIRE WOLVES
fuck YEAH
HERE WE COME TO SAVE THE MUTHAfuckIN' BRAN YEAH

DIRE WOLVES
fuck YEAH
HERE WE COME TO SAVE THE MUTHAfuckIN' AR-YEAH

a1ZES.gif

Yeah I noticed they had a close relationship with the wolves, while everyone else seemed to look at them as pests. Is there any actual connection between the wolves and family? Noticed when lady was killed that Bran woke up right at that moment.

But yeah Joffery...hope the wolves eat him.

edit- And Tyrian may be my favorite character, the balls on that guy....

[quote name='Clak']Yeah I noticed they had a close relationship with the wolves, while everyone else seemed to look at them as pests. Is there any actual connection between the wolves and family? Noticed when lady was killed that Bran woke up right at that moment.
[/QUOTE]

All book spoilers:

They have very close connections--particularly Bran. In short they (and especially Bran) basically can enter their wolves in their dreams--transfer their mind into the wolves basically.

[quote name='dmaul1114']All book spoilers:

They have very close connections--particularly Bran. In short they (and especially Bran) basically can enter their wolves in their dreams--transfer their mind into the wolves basically.
[/QUOTE]

I'm reading Book 2 now and when I read the first chapter where they did that with Bran (I think it was book 2, though I suppose it could have been late in book 1) I thought it was a bit weird. I'm actually glad to hear they explore the idea further later on though, especially with Bran.

[quote name='bvharris']
I'm reading Book 2 now and when I read the first chapter where they did that with Bran (I think it was book 2, though I suppose it could have been late in book 1) I thought it was a bit weird. I'm actually glad to hear they explore the idea further later on though, especially with Bran.
[/QUOTE]

Well through book 4 it hasn't really be fleshed out much more. Just a tad. It does seem like it will be a major point of the plot--particularly with Bran given what he's doing in book 3--so I'm guessing it will get explored in more detail later on.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Nice to finally have a show on TV again where I can be just as excited to watch the second episode as I was for the premiere.[/QUOTE]

this show is pretty damn awesome. i dont know anything about where the story comes from so im watching it with fresh eyes but shit that first episode was crazy. i miss theses kinds of shows on tv where you can just sit back and enjoy and get lost in whats happening.

hell i cant lie either i jumped when that
white walker
poppoed up behind that guy. its tempting to look up the source material like i did after seeing the first harry potter film but for this series ill wait and just enjoy the show.

[quote name='lokizz']its tempting to look up the source material like i did after seeing the first harry potter film but for this series ill wait and just enjoy the show.[/QUOTE]

I'd read the books first. It makes the show 10x more enjoyable than I could imagine if you watched the show first. It's fun to watch the episodes and hope for little details or lines of dialog, and then to see that the show nails it every time.

After the last episode, all I gotta say is The Hound is fucking AWESOME.

So I havent read the books but is Joffrey

the son of Jamie and Cersei?

Also,
Tyrion slapping Joffrey like a bitch
was the best part of that episode.

[quote name='confoosious']So I havent read the books but is Joffrey

the son of Jamie and Cersei?
[/QUOTE]

Major spoiler, so absolutely don't click unless you want the answer to that question:
Yes.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'd read the books first. It makes the show 10x more enjoyable than I could imagine if you watched the show first. It's fun to watch the episodes and hope for little details or lines of dialog, and then to see that the show nails it every time.

After the last episode, all I gotta say is The Hound is fucking AWESOME.[/QUOTE]

hell yeah im digging the wolves if i remember correctly dont dire wolves get really big? i have new respect for the red head mom as well shes a damn tough chick. the more i see of this series i swear ive heard of it before. i think maybe a teacher read it to our class when i was a kid or something because the whole each kid has a wolf thing seems very familiar.

great series though lots of great character actors definelty cant wait till this coming sunday. itll be interesting to see how the diff characters progress especially the yougest girl and the bastard kid.

also mad props for hbo not skimping on the ass and titty and quality bits at that kudos.

dammit.. have to not click that spoiler. thanks for the answer anyway.

I'm tempted to read the books but I also remember how great the wire was since i never knew what was gonna happen next.

[quote name='lokizz']the more i see of this series i swear ive heard of it before. i think maybe a teacher read it to our class when i was a kid or something because the whole each kid has a wolf thing seems very familiar.
[/QUOTE]

You might be thinking of White Fang. Because there's no way a teacher could read these books to kids. Unless you had a new teacher the next day?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']You might be thinking of White Fang. Because there's no way a teacher could read these books to kids. Unless you had a new teacher the next day?[/QUOTE]

no i remember white fang , great story btw, but this story seems too familiar.youd be surprised the stories teachers read when i was growing up same thing for some of the movies we saw. diff times i suppose.

The wolves don't play a huge role in the story though. They pop in and out, but for the most part the wolves served as an omen. Specifically the finding of them (series spoiler)
like how the mother direwolf (sigil of the Stark house) was found near a dead stag (sigil of the Baratheon house).

Only book I ever remember being read in school was Secret of NIMH. I liked the cartoon better. Best fucking animated movie ever. Some real depressing shit too. Kinda scarred me for life, because it was so serious for a kid's movie.

Damnit I missed the second episode and I will be out of town for most of the rest of the week. Will have to catch it On Demand hopefully before this Sunday. This series is starting out pretty good but it hasn't drawn me in completely yet. HBO makes the best shows of any channel, but the last series that I absolutely HAD to see as soon as it was released was The Sopranos. The Wire and Boardwalk Empire are damn good, but I don't have a jones to be in front of the TV for the first airing. I hope this one gets my attention; it's been a long time since I've had a show I was looking forward to seeing.

I don't why this didn't dawn on me earlier concerning Lady,
but is it possible that when Lady attacked Joffery that was Bran in her mind? Since he woke up right when she was killed?

[quote name='Clak']I don't why this didn't dawn on me earlier concerning Lady,
but is it possible that when Lady attacked Joffery that was Bran in her mind? Since he woke up right when she was killed?
[/QUOTE]

Lady didn't attack Joffrey, Nymeria did. They only killed Lady because Nymeria was gone (Arya chased her away). Also, no. ;)

[quote name='crystalklear64']what does it mean magic is low key???[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have a pronounced role in the series. Can you recount what magic you've seen thus far?

That should be your answer. It becomes a little more prominent as the series goes on. It will pick up particularly once we meet some new characters next season.

[quote name='bvharris']
Lady didn't attack Joffrey, Nymeria did. They only killed Lady because Nymeria was gone (Arya chased her away). Also, no. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Oh that's right, they killed her because the other one ran off. Too many damn character names to remember lol.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It doesn't have a pronounced role in the series. Can you recount what magic you've seen thus far?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are few instances of "magic" but it's all really minor, most of it can be attributed to realworld things (their "potions" are just heroin...literally), but there are some other stranger things that come in starting in book 2.

bread's done
Back