Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

Watched this today (my buddy comes over sometime during the week, we crack open some beers and watch this series), and I gotta say that I enjoyed it even more then the first episode. I liked it enough to go out and buy the first book. Here's hoping I find it to be an enjoyable read and can read the other three books out now so I can get into the excitement of the fifth book's release this summer.

I also got to say that you guys in this thread are great and that I really appreciate all the effort you put into not ruining the experience of non-book fans. Cheers guys! It'll be great to frequent this thread.

I watched this with a friend and wasn't impressed. It's basically Lord of the Rings with tits and blood for adults.

I call it "Game of Saving throws"

[quote name='2DMention'] I watched this with a friend and wasn't impressed. It's basically Lord of the Rings with tits and blood for adults.[/QUOTE]

Besides the setting the story has little in common with Lord of the Rings. This is more of a political drama than a hero fantasy.

[quote name='2DMention']I call it "Game of Saving throws"[/QUOTE]

Are you calling it that because you think every character will successfully be saved from every perilous encounter by a "saving throw"? You've fallen right into Martin's trap. The author sets up those expectations so they can be shattered later.

[quote name='msdmoney']
Are you calling it that because you think every character will successfully be saved from every perilous encounter by a "saving throw"? You've fallen right into Martin's trap. The author sets up those expectations so they can be shattered later.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he was just bashing it by implying it's for D&D nerds.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm guessing he was just bashing it by implying it's for D&D nerds.[/QUOTE]

Winnar!

Isn't the new conan the guy who fucks his wife in the behind and doesn't say a word?

[quote name='2DMention']I watched this with a friend and wasn't impressed. It's basically Lord of the Rings with tits and blood for adults.

I call it "Game of Saving throws"[/QUOTE]
:wall:

[quote name='2DMention']
Isn't the new conan the guy who fucks his wife in the behind and doesn't say a word?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Jason Momoa, of Stargate: Atlantis fame. He can actually be pretty charming and funny if given the material, though he does seem to be well on his way to being typecast of a hulking brute.

He does get to say a bit more later on though.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Lets hope the next one doesnt take 6 years[/QUOTE]

Some chapters are already written as ADWD spillover. However, the same was true from AFFC spillover.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Lets hope the next one doesnt take 6 years[/QUOTE]

Let's hope he can finish this series before he keels over. If there's two more books and it takes six years for both my amazing calculation skills says it'll take 12 years. That means he'll be 74 when it's done! Ugh, I hope he finishes this before he dies.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Let's hope he can finish this series before he keels over. If there's two more books and it takes six years for both my amazing calculation skills says it'll take 12 years. That means he'll be 74 when it's done! Ugh, I hope he finishes this before he dies.[/QUOTE]

I would like to think hes over the hump and it will be easier from here on but I also wonder how motivated he really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully the TV series continuing will motivate him.

I also worry if he can really wrap up the series satisfactorily in only 3 more books, especially since book 4 did little to advance any major plot lines.

I think the split made the last book more dificult than it had to be. I'm thinking he will crank out the next two in the time it took him to finish DWD

[quote name='jlarlee']I think the split made the last book more dificult than it had to be. I'm thinking he will crank out the next two in the time it took him to finish DWD[/QUOTE]

The next book already has a head start. Part of what took so long with book 5 was a lot of stuff he decided made better sense to save for book 6, so he moved it over there and I recall him saying he something like he had to rewrite other chapters that probably referenced events he moved to book 6.

[quote name='2DMention']
Isn't the new conan the guy who fucks his wife in the behind and doesn't say a word?[/QUOTE]

"No." Er...I mean, yes.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The next book already has a head start. Part of what took so long with book 5 was a lot of stuff he decided made better sense to save for book 6, so he moved it over there and I recall him saying he something like he had to rewrite other chapters that probably referenced events he moved to book 6.[/QUOTE]

Some of book 5 was already written too. So much so that he thought it would be out a year later.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hopefully the TV series continuing will motivate him.

I also worry if he can really wrap up the series satisfactorily in only 3 more books, especially since book 4 did little to advance any major plot lines.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm almost done with the third book and am wondering where this is going. I have a feeling that the show will be superior because they can get at the heart of it all a lot better.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Some of book 5 was already written too. So much so that he thought it would be out a year later.[/QUOTE]

Way to bring down the optimism, haha/

George admitted there was a huge clusterfuck that made him to have re-write a lot of book 5 (what he calls the Myreneese knot). Supposedly that won't be an issue going forward with a less convoluted timeline now.

[quote name='Anexanhume']George admitted there was a huge clusterfuck that made him to have re-write a lot of book 5 (what he calls the Myreneese knot). Supposedly that won't be an issue going forward with a less convoluted timeline now.[/QUOTE]

that and HBO will be none to happy if season 6 or 7 is stalled for 5 years. i have an optimist's hunch that the HBO series and ADWD being complete will get him to wrap up the series in the next 5 years.

It's doubtful we'll get that far. There is talk of book 3 being made two seasons. Personally, I just want to see B3
The Red Wedding on film

i hope they give this series the time it takes to tell the whole story and not pull a fucking carneival on it. still freakin pissed that show never got finished.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's doubtful we'll get that far. There is talk of book 3 being made two seasons. Personally, I just want to see B3
The Red Wedding on film
.[/QUOTE]

A season and a half would be ideal with a combination of book 4 and 5 the other season and a half.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's doubtful we'll get that far. There is talk of book 3 being made two seasons. Personally, I just want to see B3
The Red Wedding on film
.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that episode is going to rock peoples' worlds. Far more than how the first season is going to end.

[quote name='lokizz']so basically each book will be a season or are the seasons/books overlapping?[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard the plan is a book a season, though in an interview Martin said he though Book 3 should be 2 seasons since it's so long and so much happens in it.

Might be wise to split up book 3 into two seasons. That'll give HBO some wiggle room if George's writing slows down again.

This is the "getting stuff in place before the exciting shit starts happening" episode. It's that part of the book as well.

Have I totally been missing where Rickon is? Is there a Rickon even in this series? I can't remember shit I read three years ago. But he's like the youngest son, right? Right?

Uh, uh...purple monkey dishwasher.

[quote name='Strell']Have I totally been missing where Rickon is? Is there a Rickon even in this series? I can't remember shit I read three years ago. But he's like the youngest son, right? Right?
[/QUOTE]

The only scene on the show I remember him being in is when Robert first arrived at Winterfell, he was there with the other children and Robert mussed his hair. I believe that's about the extent of the screentime he's had.

The lack of more Ghost has been a bit odd though, since he was featured prominently in the promo materials and is also the direwolf with the most material in the first book by far.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I don't do LOTR like crap but I love the Albino chick and the Midget.[/QUOTE]

??

For those who want to see Ghost, he will have a prominent role in the next episode I've heard. If you've read the book, you should know what part it is we're talking about.

[quote name='Strell']Have I totally been missing where Rickon is? Is there a Rickon even in this series? I can't remember shit I read three years ago. But he's like the youngest son, right? Right?

Uh, uh...purple monkey dishwasher.[/QUOTE]

Well he exists but nobody cares about poor Rickon or his wolf Shaggydog.

For as much that is going on, these guys have really nailed the pacing. Whereas some shows are just painfully boring during a build-up episode, I still felt there was enough interesting sub-plots going on (especially how epic The Wall is) to keep me entertained. Having not read the books, I can't tell if the show is engrossing due to great source material or the fact that each character has an actor giving excellent performances. The best way I can sum up this show is a fantasy Rome and I hope it never ends.

[quote name='Jodou']For as much that is going on, these guys have really nailed the pacing. Whereas some shows are just painfully boring during a build-up episode, I still felt there was enough interesting sub-plots going on (especially how epic The Wall is) to keep me entertained. Having not read the books, I can't tell if the show is engrossing due to great source material or the fact that each character has an actor giving excellent performances. The best way I can sum up this show is a fantasy Rome and I hope it never ends.[/QUOTE]

It's both. I think many will agree that the actors playing Tyrion, Jaime, Arya, Robert and some others are really nailing it. I've never been a huge fan of Sean Bean, but he's doing a fine job and gives the series the name service it needs to get started.

Sean Bean being in this was what got my hopes up. Always thought he was a great actor. Tyrion is becoming my favorite character though, dude is just extremely confident for someone of his size.

About the wall, can someone elaborate a little on it? I mean how long is it, is the purpose just to keep out the things that have been discussed?

[quote name='Clak']Sean Bean being in this was what got my hopes up. Always thought he was a great actor. Tyrion is becoming my favorite character though, dude is just extremely confident for someone of his size.

About the wall, can someone elaborate a little on it? I mean how long is it, is the purpose just to keep out the things that have been discussed?[/QUOTE]

hundreds of feet tall and hundres of miles long, its the greatest structure ever built. its was built to keep out the things they talk about, white walkers and other fantastic creatures. but the wall was built thousands of years ago and has been so successful at protecting the 7 kingdoms that whats beyond the wall has become legend.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's both. I think many will agree that the actors playing Tyrion, Jaime, Arya, Robert and some others are really nailing it. [/QUOTE]

Arya was already my favorite character so I was pre-disposed to liking her, but that kid is beyond excellent.

And obviously Peter Dinklage has been great, but he does have the most amusing material to work with as well.

i hate having to wait till next sunday for the next episode fucking show is amazing. i get the feeling the girl with the needle
will end up fighting that prince and beating his ass.

bread's done
Back