Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='Strell']Oh yeah - Syrio was AWESOME. Exactly how I pictured him.[/QUOTE]
Was that the dude at the end that I swear to god looked like Sazh from FFXIII?

btw they mentioned something about a
mad king
and what he did do they ever elaborate on this further in the books and if so do they do a full flashback? i really would like to know more about it since it seems to be the center of alot of the issues within that court.

[quote name='lokizz']btw they mentioned something about a
mad king
and what he did do they ever elaborate on this further in the books and if so do they do a full flashback? i really would like to know more about it since it seems to be the center of alot of the issues within that court.[/QUOTE]

While the back story is interesting, it's not necessary to understand the story. You only need to know that he was considered mad and unjust for the people he slew so Robert started a rebellion against him. You've also learned that Jaime, despite being part of the kingsguard and sworn to protect the king, stabbed him in the back once the tide of the rebellion was going for Robert.

[quote name='lokizz']btw they mentioned something about a
mad king
and what he did do they ever elaborate on this further in the books and if so do they do a full flashback? i really would like to know more about it since it seems to be the center of alot of the issues within that court.[/QUOTE]

It comes up in the book, but not really one big flash back scene. Just stories of him torturing someone to death here or there etc. through out the books. But they haven't gone into any real major details about he Targaryens in the books really, just tidbits on the mad kind and Prince Rheagar (sp?) here and there.

good to know kinda hope they do tell more about it down the road since from what ive gathered from the thread the book series itself is still ongoing. also whats the dal with the current king? for a guy who comes off like hed been a pretty big badass at one point hes very whipped by his wife which seems odd given the time and all.

He's not that whipped by his wife. He's just gotten fat, lazy and became a drunk. He gave in with the direwolf situation etc., but he otherwise largely ignores his wife and just whores around etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It comes up in the book, but not really one big flash back scene. Just stories of him torturing someone to death here or there etc. through out the books. But they haven't gone into any real major details about he Targaryens in the books really, just tidbits on the mad kind and Prince Rheagar (sp?) here and there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it takes a while but there's some pretty major revelations about that. The thing George does is tell his primary story, but also a secondary story via flashbacks that he gives you in bits and pieces because it's really looking like it's going to reveal something pretty massive that is likely going to determine the "winner" of the game of thrones. When you piece all of the given flashback segments together, it's impressive. Enough has been written where one can figure it all out. But yeah, the stuff about the Mad King and Robert's Rebellion is really important. As you learn more it really changes your opinion of certain characters in a single paragraph...and I can't state that enough.

The show doesn't have flashbacks yet, maybe won't at all. But episode 2 had two particular moments that pretty much proves HBO knows about it and has laid the groundwork to at least explore all of that, whether they use flashbacks or not.

I'm caught up through the first two episodes and most of the third.

It's okay, but the scene with Robert and the Lannisters (Jaime and Tywin) seemed very awkward and explicit, it's the only scene that felt waaay off the book. They adopted Robert's POV for that scene, I suppose, and it didn't work. Later on they took on Jorah Mormont's POV. I guess that would be my complaint about what I've seen of the series, even though it was only a few scenes, they're not necessarily adopting the POVs the 1st book used for each chapter. I don't mind changes to accommodate an adaptation (the dothraki as poorly dressed male models, for instance), but that seems a little much.

Also, the Imp's accent is hit or miss. That's putting it delicately. It's all over the place. I dig your style, Tyrion, but the dude playing you needs to quit talking.

EDIT: Just took a moment to finish the last 10m. The closing with Syrio was the best moment of the episode IMO. The FX changing from stick sounds to metal sounds, as Ned looked on, was a nice, subtle reminder that Ned is unable to see the game or artifice in war and rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ratings were up for the 3rd episode which is especially impressive considering the Bin Laden news had to have had an impact on the replay and the west coast airings.

So why does Lady Stark think that
Tyrion
tried to kill Bran? I don't remember anyone telling her that.

I forgot how (and I haven't watched the episode) but if I remember correctly
Tyrion won the knife off Littlefinger as a bet at a tourney, and since it was the one that was used to try and kill Bran, she put two and two together.

I take it in this episode that this might have been when she
arrested/captured him, yeah?

[quote name='Strell']
[/QUOTE]

Yup. That scene was just as awesome as I hoped it would be. It's on now.

Is it just me or are the wall sequences getting tired and old? I get it: beyond the wall is dangerous. They're not worthy. Many of them will not return. They don't understand the meaning of cold. . .

JFC, stop being so melodramatic and just shut up until you can SHOW us why. And why is there a Samwise character? "Oh Mr. Frodo, I'm such a coward!" Who cares, I hope you die slipping on your own drool off the wall.

This was the first episode I'd truly mark as filler, because the pace has come to a near halt. Not much to say other than Tyrion was carrying the show as usual and the cliffhanger was really the highlight. Oh and the tournament scene was awesome.

[quote name='Jodou']Is it just me or are the wall sequences getting tired and old? I get it: beyond the wall is dangerous. They're not worthy. Many of them will not return. They don't understand the meaning of cold. . .

JFC, stop being so melodramatic and just shut up until you can SHOW us why. And why is there a Samwise character? "Oh Mr. Frodo, I'm such a coward!" Who cares, I hope you die slipping on your own drool off the wall.

This was the first episode I'd truly mark as filler, because the pace has come to a near halt. Not much to say other than Tyrion was carrying the show as usual and the cliffhanger was really the highlight. Oh and the tournament scene was awesome.[/QUOTE]

That episode established characters and relationships necessary for understanding what happens next. If you don't know people's motivations, it won't make sense.

And a character will never be featured without something profound happening to them, either physically or seeing their character progress/change/develop.

[quote name='bvharris']Yup. That scene was just as awesome as I hoped it would be. It's on now.[/QUOTE]

aw yeah i loved that scene lol its one of the few times shes really flexed her power. kinda odd the imp would underestimate her so much considering he himself is constantly underestimated because of his size.

so whats the deal with littlefinger why would he say what he said to the girl?

[quote name='Anexanhume']That episode established characters and relationships necessary for understanding what happens next. If you don't know people's motivations, it won't make sense.

And a character will never be featured without something profound happening to them, either physically or seeing their character progress/change/develop.[/QUOTE]
Well duh. The point is I could watch the first and last 5 minutes without missing anything important.

[quote name='Jodou']Well duh. The point is I could watch the first and last 5 minutes without missing anything important.[/QUOTE]

Not really. After having read the book, I can tell you that there's little you can miss that won't snowball into bigger and bigger confusion as you go on.

For example, the story about the Hound and his brother is critical to establishing the persona and motivations of his character.

edit: Was able to update OP with episode 5 preview (episodes 3 and 4 didn't work)

[quote name='VipFREAK']Viserys Targaryen needs to be put in his place.
[/QUOTE]
I think in this story arc that's a given, it seems to be foreshadowed and telegraphed- to me anyways.

[quote name='Strell']I forgot how (and I haven't watched the episode) but if I remember correctly
Tyrion won the knife off Littlefinger as a bet at a tourney, and since it was the one that was used to try and kill Bran, she put two and two together.

[/QUOTE]
Oh that's right, the knife she had. I need to re-watch all of these one more time. I didn't even remember a knife from the episode Bran is hurt in.

What is the interaction between the Hound and the Mountain in the books? Guessing they don't get along.

[quote name='Clak']What is the interaction between the Hound and the Mountain in the books? Guessing they don't get along.[/QUOTE]

The Mountain is basically the most fucked up character in the books. When the previous king was killed, Robert's minions had to kill all his offspring (hence Viserys and Dany being smuggled out of King's Landing), the Mountain picked a baby up by its feet (Rhaegar's son?) and swung its head against a wall. That was pretty much George's introduction to the kind of guy Gregor was.

The Hound lived his life in fear of his brother, that's how he got his scars. So he hates his brothers guts, and inwardly wishes to kill him but knows he would probably lose.

[quote name='Jodou']Well duh. The point is I could watch the first and last 5 minutes without missing anything important.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. The last episode was really important because it presented the backstory/motivations/machinations for most of the lesser characters. Not only were you introduced to the Mountain (Gregor Clegane), Gendry and Samwell but you also got the backstory of the Greyjoy Rebellion and were introduced to various Tully bannerman. As a basic rule of thumb, everything on screen will eventually play an important role down the road.

[quote name='kill3r7']I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. The last episode was really important because it presented the backstory/motivations/machinations for most of the lesser characters. Not only were you introduced to the Mountain (Gregor Clegane), Gendry and Samwell but you also got the backstory of the Greyjoy Rebellion and were introduced to various Tully bannerman. As a basic rule of thumb, everything on screen will eventually play an important role down the road.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Though I'd say sometimes all the minor plots and backstory can be boring in a movie/tv series based on a book if you haven't read the book.

I'm glad it's there, but do worry that they may lose viewers by being too true to the books. It's not going to be action packed like the LOTR movies, as there are long periods of exposition, back story and character development between major events, battles etc. in the books. Jackson cut a lot of that out of LOTR, they're thankfully not cutting a ton out of this miniseries.

^ This man speaks the truth. Everything is important. I'm actually surprised at how much they are packing into scenes. That they actually introduced Yoren last week was cool. He'll play a pretty big part in the start of season 2 and it's nice they established him as a named character rather than a no-name extra that will just show up.

The entire "who was your first kill" conversation from last week accomplished quite a lot in such a short time, as far as introducing Barristan Selmy and letting you know how respected he is among the other Kingsguard knights. Also sowing a big seed for Jaime's character progression down the road. Other stuff I'd mention but people might pay too close attention to it and figure shit out way too early.

I think those complaining about "fluff" are going to look like fools as the story unfolds. When the season is over, watch it all again and marvel at what you missed.

Only thing I don't like is the shear number of characters to keep up with in this. I already feel like I need to go back and re-watch every episode at least once. It's not an honest complaint, just a lot to remember. So that kid at the
blacksmith's shop
was supposed to be one of the dead king's kids?

[quote name='Clak']Only thing I don't like is the shear number of characters to keep up with in this. I already feel like I need to go back and re-watch every episode at least once. It's not an honest complaint, just a lot to remember. So that kid at the
blacksmith's shop
was supposed to be one of the dead king's kids?[/QUOTE]

No, he's one of the current king's (bastard) kids.

Good stuff. Since I read GoT for the first time after the second episode, I've enjoyed picking up all the little details that book virgins might not notice. Of course, the reason I wanted to read the first book was to avoid assholes spoiling things for me, but it still happened for characters and events to come in the future books. Serves me right I guess for just now getting into the world of A Song of Fire and Ice

[quote name='Clak']Only thing I don't like is the shear number of characters to keep up with in this. I already feel like I need to go back and re-watch every episode at least once. [/QUOTE]

Reading the book is the easiest way to sort it out. Even the book was hard to keep track of everyone for a while, but it's easier to get it sorted out reading than in the TV show.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Some Bronn next week!

Most recent episode needed more HODOR![/QUOTE]

Those who are wanting for some action will get plenty next week.

Also, ratings for the show continue to go up. It was at 2.2 million for the premeire on ep 1 and ep 2, hit 2.4 million for ep 3, and was 2.5 million for ep 4.

[quote name='Magus8472']No, he's one of the current king's (bastard) kids.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I see. Too many bastards running around...:lol:

[quote name='Clak']Ah, I see. Too many bastards running around...:lol:[/QUOTE]

There's definitely a couple more. MAJOR SEASON/BOOK 1 SPOILER
All with brown hair ;)

I just saw this on the FB fan page:
Register now to watch Episode 7 of Game Of Thrones directly following Episode 6 on May 22, only on HBO GO.

tsh.bo
With HBO GO®, you can watch http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=253974every episode of Game of Thrones on your iPad® (http://itsh.bo/hbogoapple), iPhone® (http://itsh.bo/hbogoapple) or Android™ (http://itsh.bo/hbogoandroid) smartphone. Free with your HBO subscription through participating TV providers. HBO GO. It’s HBO. Anywhere.®

Personally, I haven't done anything with GO since downloading it, but I will be now. :D

So I'm re-watching the first episode and I just finished the part where they find the direwolf pups. Snow found that sixth pup behind the tree, after saying there was one for each stark child, were they trying to...imply something there?

[quote name='Clak']So I'm re-watching the first episode and I just finished the part where they find the direwolf pups. Snow found that sixth pup behind the tree, after saying there was one for each stark child, were they trying to...imply something there?[/QUOTE]

yeah john snow is a bastard. his dad is lord stark but his mom is some other chick. i find this weird though i was always under the impression a bastard was a kid who didnt know or have a dad.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah john snow is a bastard. his dad is lord stark but his mom is some other chick. i find this weird though i was always under the impression a bastard was a kid who didnt know or have a dad.[/QUOTE]

A bastard is just a child borne out of wedlock basically, and in older times it generally was used when the father is married to someone other than the mother as they were thus excluded from their inheritance as they weren't a pure blood noble.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah john snow is a bastard. his dad is lord stark but his mom is some other chick. i find this weird though i was always under the impression a bastard was a kid who didnt know or have a dad.[/QUOTE]
But wouldn't that still make him a Stark regardless of who his mother was?

[quote name='Clak']But wouldn't that still make him a Stark regardless of who his mother was?[/QUOTE]

i thought so too but since all the other kids have the same mom hes the odd man out. i think lord starks wife probablywouldnt allow john snow to have the stark name.

bread's done
Back