Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

We did? Can you explain it with the spoiler tag?
Sure.

We found out that Valyarian steel weapons do actually kill White Walkers. Jon Snow guessed at it when he was at Castle Black, though in the books, he never met a White Walker in any fashion, so it was just still a theory.

Since he met one in the show and killed it in the same end result as Sam did with the dragonglass dagger in S2, they work the same way.

Issue is, AFAIK, there's only four Valaryian steel weapons we know off-hand:

1) Jon Snow's Longclaw

2) Brienne's Oathkeeper

3) Joffrey Baratheon's Widowmaker (this one I think is a Valaryian steel sword, made from the same melting/reforging done on Ned Stark's greatsword Ice, though not 100% sure of that; will need a rewatch of S4E2 to be sure or re-read ASOS; instead of Widowmaker, it may be Jaime's current sword, also something needed to check S4 for verification)

4) Robert Baratheon's dagger used to try and kill Bran (again, I think this was a Valaryian steel weapon, as I think it was discussed that it was a very rare weapon and odd to be in the hands of a common thug, especially with its dragonbone hilt; something else to check either in the AGOT or S1 of the show to verify)

There may be more of them in the hands of the lords of Westeros (Randal Tarly, Mace Tyrell, Stannis Baratheon, etc.) or some of the higher-up knights (Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane, etc.), though AFAIK there's only four of them explicitly mentioned that I can think of.

Sure.

We found out that Valyarian steel weapons do actually kill White Walkers. Jon Snow guessed at it when he was at Castle Black, though in the books, he never met a White Walker in any fashion, so it was just still a theory.

Since he met one in the show and killed it in the same end result as Sam did with the dragonglass dagger in S2, they work the same way.

Issue is, AFAIK, there's only four Valaryian steel weapons we know off-hand:
1) Jon Snow's Longclaw
2) Brienne's Oathkeeper
3) Joffrey Baratheon's Widowmaker (this one I think is a Valaryian steel sword, made from the same melting/reforging done on Ned Stark's greatsword Ice, though not 100% sure of that; will need a rewatch of S4E2 to be sure or re-read ASOS; instead of Widowmaker, it may be Jaime's current sword, also something needed to check S4 for verification)
4) Robert Baratheon's dagger used to try and kill Bran (again, I think this was a Valaryian steel weapon, as I think it was discussed that it was a very rare weapon and odd to be in the hands of a common thug, especially with its dragonbone hilt; something else to check either in the AGOT or S1 of the show to verify)

There may be more of them in the hands of the lords of Westeros (Randal Tarly, Mace Tyrell, Stannis Baratheon, etc.) or some of the higher-up knights (Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane, etc.), though AFAIK there's only four of them explicitly mentioned that I can think of.
You are right. Both Widowmaker and Oathkeeper were made from Ice. The dagger is also special. Although that dagger was never spoken about again after s1.

Book 4 and parts of Book 5 was pretty slow too.
It seemed to me that Martin did a lot of babbling about the same stuff in those books. He could have combined FoC and DoD into one and probally be just about finished with the story.

I actually really liked this weeks episode. You can just see how the story is really keying in on Dany and Jon.. "I'm not going to stop the wheel, I am going to crush it" And the whole scene with the Nights King and Jon. Epic. I actually like how they brought Tyrion to her. The whole Big Ben Plum line was super boring, being a slave etc. This was better I thought. I am very curious how this season ends. Usually E9 is the big kaboom episode. Going to be a fantastic E9 this season I think. I am hoping for the Winterfell battle. Not sure how the Ramsey line is going to play out. Can't wait.

It seemed to me that Martin did a lot of babbling about the same stuff in those books. He could have combined FoC and DoD into one and probally be just about finished with the story.

I actually really liked this weeks episode. You can just see how the story is really keying in on Dany and Jon.. "I'm not going to stop the wheel, I am going to crush it" And the whole scene with the Nights King and Jon. Epic. I actually like how they brought Tyrion to her. The whole Big Ben Plum line was super boring, being a slave etc. This was better I thought. I am very curious how this season ends. Usually E9 is the big kaboom episode. Going to be a fantastic E9 this season I think. I am hoping for the Winterfell battle. Not sure how the Ramsey line is going to play out. Can't wait.
Yeah Book 4 and Book 5 were suppose to be one book. It was weird reading Book 5 at the beginning.

Yeah Book 4 and Book 5 were suppose to be one book. It was weird reading Book 5 at the beginning
It is weird watching this season, at least for me. They have pushed story lines further than the books but at the same time kept in line with the books. I am hoping at the end of this season at least all the roads of this story kinda meet up to lead to the final ending.

This season is moving fast compared to the book. I think they will be caught to the book pretty soon. I don't know what storyline they can drag on for next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
This season is moving fast compared to the book. I think the will be caught to the book pretty soon. I don't know what storyline they can drag on for next season.
Greyjoys. Yarra and Balon are set to return e9. Since Yarra left Theon at Winterfell, we have yet to hear from any of them. There was too much written about them in the books to just wipe them from the show.

I think next season we will see the kingsmoot, the dragon horn Euron has and the sailing of Victorian to meet Dany. I also think we may get some flashbacks to add some backstory for upcoming shows. L+R=J theory. I would love to see the tourney at Harrenahal and the Tower of Light battle. I think this will be done through Bran and the wierwoods.

Given there is no new material from Martin I see this as the was it will go. Kit Harrington is signed on through season 7. If that is the last season I see HBO giving Martin some time to finish the next book. Who knows, he may cobine Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring into 1. HBO may be able to get him to do that for enough royalty money. They already know how the story ends. We'll see,

I hope Stanis gets what he deserves.  Right after taking care of the Boltons.

Dragons.  fuck yeah!

I don't normally complain about the change from the book to show but I can't believe they did that to
Stannis. Wow, that change ruin his character so bad from the book.

My favorite tweet about what happened.
Stannis Baratheon was murdered tonight.

Edit:

Okay
Supposedly it was George R.R. Martin idea to have Stannis kill Shireen. But it still didn't made sense since Shireen was his only heir.

Dont forget that father's day is only a few weeks away.  Surprise him with this great new mug:
2fzKLie.png

I don't normally complain about the change from the book to show but I can't believe they did that to
Stannis. Wow, that change ruin his character so bad from the book.

My favorite tweet about what happened.
Stannis Baratheon was murdered tonight.

Edit:
Okay
Supposedly it was George R.R. Martin idea to have Stannis kill Shireen. But it still didn't made sense since Shireen was his only heir.
I think it was a great way to see how far Stannis has fallen as a human being. His quest for the throne has poisened him beyond repair.

It felt weird having more stuff happen after the Stannis scene. Felt like that should've been the end, but I won't complain if I get to see Jorah.

I did like

How the husband to be who seemed sketchy was like "My Queen follow me to safety" and then he gets stabbed like 8 times in the chest. Opps. Guess he isn't in charge of the harpies.

Also - Ser Jorah with the gray scale holding hands with people. Why doesn't he just rub it up in everyone's faces. He's spreading that around like its the Clap.

The final scene reminded me of
You're not the only one who has commented on that end scene looking like what you linked to.

I'm going through AFFC right now and I've run across at least two, if not three more Valaryian steel swords mentioned in the books.
It's in the section where the Ironborn have their kingsmoot and there's a mention of Red Rain held by one of the ironborn, Dustan Drumm. Another ironborn, Ser Harras Harlaw, may have another one, as it's listed "whose sword Nightfall was as storied as Dustan Drumm's Red Rain".

The second/third one is Randyll Tarly's Heartsbane, which we run across when Brienne and Podrick end up at Maidenpool when looking for Sansa and Dontos Hollard. It's mentioned when Brienne meets Tarly at Maidenpool.

Those are the only other ones I've found so far besides the ones I mentioned before. Still under a dozen that I can think of off-hand.

I gotta say, this whole season has been somewhat disappointing.

The Borathian family is now out of the series with the Starks possibly down to characters that have had a minimal role to date.  Jon Snow's death was weak but expected.  Daenerys is now back with the Dothraki though not by choice.  Will be interesting to see how Cerci reacts after her public shaming and the death of her daughter. 

Also, that was a lot of dead left behind after the battle at Winterfell.

I gotta say, this whole season has been somewhat disappointing.

The Borathian family is now out of the series with the Starks possibly down to characters that have had a minimal role to date. Jon Snow's death was weak but expected. Daenerys is now back with the Dothraki though not by choice. Will be interesting to see how Cerci reacts after her public shaming and the death of her daughter.

Also, that was a lot of dead left behind after the battle at Winterfell.
For the most part this season really was a bit of a downer. There were 2 really high points
the battle with the white walkers and the harpy's attempted assassination/battle
but there were a lot of dull episodes to start off the season. It was probably the weakest season thus far. I mean realistically it was basically just finishing off characters and arcs in somewhat unspectacular fashion that had been floundering for a while. If you were to just tell people what happened this season without actually describing it fully it would sound much better than it actually played out.
Stannis in particular was a really dull end to a character that had been built for years and in a very un-Game of Thrones-like fashion one of the people with the biggest grudge against him happened to be right there to kill him. It just felt too convenient in a fashion that's not normally like Game of Thrones. Jon Snow's death really felt out of place too. I'm not talking about a Red Wedding kind of out of place but rather if it was going to happen, it feels like it should have been much sooner this season. It almost feels like they put it off just so it could be the last shot of the season, it just didn't fit.

I heard something bad was going to happen. I kind of expected it to happen though. Not really too down about the finale. It was a weak finale though. But here's hoping season 6 is better. 

So I am finally caught up. I"m just going to make it all one big spoiler. Random thoughts:

Sorry to see Stannis go, but after the daughter thing and the fact that it is a "win" for Brienne, it is acceptable. I teared up a little when he was talking to his daughter about her "origin story".

Jon's death was spoiled for me, so I knew it was coming. -Part of me thinks Bran will take over his body and save him or the dire wolf will or maybe stannis's "hand to the king" might smuggle him out. I don't think he is dead. I figured they would turn on him and exile him to the other side of the wall.

The dragon riding graphics were pretty bad, but I am streaming the show online, so maybe it looks better on a TV. I guess she has a telepathic link with the dragons?

I can't remember how it went with the Dothraki. Would she still be considered their queen?

The (2nd) poison kiss was obviously going to happen. Bronn better be careful with the "bad pussy" if they ever see each other again.

Cersei's walk is the only thing that I will ever acknowledge as being 'slut shaming' from this day until my last day.

Sansa has the worst luck with men.

The white walkers would be unstoppable unless the defenders had dragonglass arrowheads.

I love the conversations between Cirsei and natile dormer's character. They are masters of passive aggression. lol

I also love the conversations between Tyrion and Varys.- Actually Tyrion and anyone. He has the best dialogue.

I'm glad to see Jorah back, but he needs to clear up that greyscale. Or maybe it will spread and he will be Dany's "dragon man" or something.

Well, guess all those theories about Jon Snow not being dead are wrong.  The whole thing with Danerys kind of diffused some of the potential tension this season though she is still a captive.  First episode of the season is always slow and sets up the rest of the season, will be interesting to see where things go.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ at the ending reveal. Whoa.
I'm curious about this as I interpreted it as she lost her faith. The popular theory is that she is giving up something for Jon Snow, but I simply saw it as what does she have to fight for now? Stannis is dead, his family is dead, Jon is dead and Davos never trusted her to begin with. So in feeling her lord has forsaken her, she lost faith and hence her powers to change her appearance. Then she laid down to die.

Then again, wasn't it like season 2 or early on that one of those knights of the flame was able to reincarnate? The band of brigands that Arya met while on the run. That's the only thing that leads me to believe she could be doing something to res Jon. I feel like his death is more impactful that it will destroy the Night's Watch once the wildlings arrive to return the favor for what they did to Jon. Either way, I can't wait for them to get revenge; such a punk death.

Well damn, I was nearly spot on with my interpretations.

Is it just me or has this show gotten so much better now that they were able to dump the books? Every episode has been great so far and I can't help but feel like it's because their creative freedom was restricted to the book material. Such a great season so far!

Oh, and I can't say I miss Dany's storyline thus far; maybe that's why the show has been so good. :rofl:

Good episode - but one thing that makes me sad with characters instantly being killed off is it immediately clears up any rumors or speculation people had on if they had larger roles.

Euron showing up also killed one of the other fan theories.

Like how some people have thought Roose Bolton was the Night King or a White Walker/Other for years now.

The other theory was that Dany's boyfriend was actually Euron Greyjoy. The TV show even kind of lined up with this one because Euron sets sail with 93 ships in the book, and then Daario says he has captured 93 ships.

It's been so long since any books came out that the TV show is starting to take over most of what I remember of the story.

My theory about what's going to happen after what occurred from last night and possible huge spoilers.

That is not really shaggydog and that was just another wolf head. The Umber is just trying to setup a trap for Ramsey. The Umber are very loyal to House Stark and that is why Bran sent Rickon to them. The Greatjon is still alive but to make Ramsey believe that the Umber are willing to work with him they have to fake his death since Ramsey knows how loyal the Umber are or at least the Lord is, he even said it himself and bringing the wolf head just sealed the deal.

The Greatjon is still alive and probably is the one that would lead the ambush once Ramsey and his army are out in the open. I think that is the big reason why Greatjon's son refuse to bend his knee or pledge loyalty to Ramsey because he's still loyal to House Stark.

My theory about what's going to happen after what occurred from last night and possible huge spoilers.

That is not really shaggydog and that was just another wolf head. The Umber is just trying to setup a trap for Ramsey. The Umber are very loyal to House Stark and that is why Bran sent Rickon to them. Greatjon Umber was the guy who took a piss at the red wedding and would have been killed if he was there. The Greatjon is still alive but to make Ramsey believe that the Umber are willing to work with him they have to fake his death since Ramsey knows how loyal the Umber are or at least the Lord, he even said it himself and bringing the a wolf head just sealed the deal.

The Greatjon is still alive and probably is the one that would lead the ambush once Ramsey and his army are out in the open. I think that is the big reason why Greatjon's son refuse to bend his knee or pledge loyalty to Ramsey because he's still loyal to House Stark.
a prediction is not a spoiler unless you know the prediction will happen and not guessing.

bread's done
Back