Game titles you can't (or think you can't) pronounce

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Some publishers have no clue. If you make a game people can't pronounce, you're sending the game to die.

Here we list titles of games we can't pronounce. Also list names you make up because you can't pronounce it.

Atelier Rononahttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...D4Dg&ved=0CBoQvwUoAQ&q=atelier+rorona&spell=1
Faxanadu
Hexyz Force
Ys The Oath of Felghana ( jokingly pronounce it Fein-Guy-A)
Ys The Ark Napishtim (I pronounce it Ark of Nepotism or Ark of Napshitism
Klonoa Lunatea's veil (Corona Lunatics Veil)

Some that I overheard when I worked at Gamestop:

Da Nasty Warriors (what kinda of game was she wanting? :) )
Tactics Og-Ray
Sweeko-den
Hiroshima (Hoshigami)
MEE-troid

[quote name='2DMention']
Atelier Ronona[/QUOTE]

Rorona.... Atelier is an English word even. How about Deus Ex? Maybe the problem here isn't the names themselves.

Apparently I can't pronounce Mario correctly.

I think I remember a CAGcast where Cheapy and Wombat were arguing how to pronounce Mario. It must be a New York thing.

[quote name='elessar123']Rorona.... Atelier is an English word even. How about Deus Ex? Maybe the problem here isn't the names themselves.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, although to be fair is a word and has a meaning, does the game take place in a workshop? I can see why someone wouldn't be able to pronounce a word out of context in a sentence.

But mispronouncing ogre is nearly unforgivable. Also it's M"ah"rio. Just like it isn't Lu-eye-gi.

Suikoden

I remember walking into Circuit City several years ago and asking for Suikoden III (for PS2). The guy who worked in the gaming section looked at me like, what the hell are you talking about?

[quote name='elessar123']Rorona.... Atelier is an English word even. [/QUOTE]

I know a lot of DIYers and artist types and I've never heard or seen that word, ever. I didn't even know it was a word.

[quote name='Dictionary.com']
at·el·ier

 /ˈæt
thinsp.png
lˌyeɪ, ˌæt
thinsp.png
lˈyeɪ; Fr. atəˈlyeɪ/ Show Spelled[at-l-yey, at-l-yey; Fr. atuh-lyey]
–noun, plural at·el·iers  /ˈæt
thinsp.png
lˌyeɪz, ˌæt
thinsp.png
lˈyeɪz; Fr. atəˈlyeɪ/ Show Spelled[at-l-yeyz, at-l-yeyz; Fr. atuh-lyey] . a workshop or studio, esp. of an artist, artisan, or designer.[/quote]

But isn't she more of a chemist than an artist in the game?

[quote name='c0rnpwn']Seriously, although to be fair is a word and has a meaning, does the game take place in a workshop? I can see why someone wouldn't be able to pronounce a word out of context in a sentence.[/QUOTE]

It's not, really. One of Atelier series' focus is on alchemy. So calling it a workshop is, well, very fitting.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Mario is Mare-ee-oh.

Mushihimesama (mush-eh-he-meh-sama?) is the one I laugh at whenever I see it. Espgaluda, too.[/QUOTE]

i remember think kid promouncing mario that way years back when our class went to a roller rink. on top of that he pronounced bros bras.

Mushihimesama is actually very easy to pronounce. moo-shee-hee-meh-sah-mah. A lot of these titles are really just Japanese titles.

Yggdrasil is a common Japanese theme also; Etrian Odyssey is Yggdrasil labyrinth, Mana Tree is as well, so forth.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Q*Bert.

What's with the #^%@ing *?[/QUOTE]

Not sure but, I think it is just to separate the letter Q from Bert.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Some that I overheard when I worked at Gamestop:

Da Nasty Warriors (what kinda of game was she wanting? :) )
Tactics Og-Ray
Sweeko-den
Hiroshima (Hoshigami)
MEE-troid[/QUOTE]

You understand that what you have there is very close to how Suikoden is actually pronounced, right?

It's Soo-ee-koe-den. Japanese letters are grouped when translated to English in a way most people can't understand without studying why.

Suikoden was going to be my example anyway, because I've got some friends that adore the series (even replay 1 & 2 almost annually) but always always always say it Soo-ko-den, with the emphasis on the "ko." It's weird as hell. I have no idea where they came up with it. :)

[quote name='Dunvane']You understand that what you have there is very close to how Suikoden is actually pronounced, right?

It's Soo-ee-koe-den. Japanese letters are grouped when translated to English in a way most people can't understand without studying why.

Suikoden was going to be my example anyway, because I've got some friends that adore the series (even replay 1 & 2 almost annually) but always always always say it Soo-ko-den, with the emphasis on the "ko." It's weird as hell. I have no idea where they came up with it. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not a native speaker, but I think it's closer to SUEyee-ko-den. Like chop suey ko den.

[quote name='elessar123']I'm not a native speaker, but I think it's closer to SUEyee-ko-den. Like chop suey ko den.[/QUOTE]

I always pronounced it like Sweekoden, because in Japanese the quantity of 'u' is often very short.

Psycho Mantis says it's swee-Ko-den. I figure that's a Konami connection right there.

But really, most of this isn't hard if you just look at it. Read it. Then say it.

Lara Croft. I always call her Laura.

Show or game, I always see Gundam Wing and read it as "Goddamn Wing".

Ninja Gaiden is full of stuff I couldn't pronounce.

Ninja Gay-den?

Ryu Hayabusa (Rye-oo Hi ya buzzah)
Jaquio (Ju-eye-quo?)

The game was also the first time I ever saw "..." and didn't know what it was.

I know alot of people mis-pronounce Ninja Gaiden as GAY-DEN, even though the creator has said its GUY-DEN.

I Use to Pronunce Klonoa KLOHN-AH

In Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days There's a Character named Xion and at first i thought it
was pronounced Z-EYE-ON until I saw a cut-scene and it sounded like they said SHI-OHN

It's mainly Japanese RPGS that get me, luckily I rarely have to say there names out loud though.

Nobody listed Ehrgeiz? Come on.
Name-wise:
Sephiroth has been the subject of many discussions.
Seifer and Laguna from FF8 have been confusing.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Nobody listed Ehrgeiz? Come on.
Name-wise:
Sephiroth has been the subject of many discussions.
Seifer and Laguna from FF8 have been confusing.[/QUOTE]

Laguna isn't really confusing. Laguna Beach?

Metroid is my favorite game series, and I've heard various different variations on Pronouncing Samus Aran. I pronounce it S-AH-MUH-US AH-RAHN. I hear alot of people pronounce her last name as AIR-AHN (as in Aaron), I personally think pronouncing it AH-RAHN sounds much better.

Just got Atelier Annie from Goozex the other day. And I was like, "What the heck is Atelier? How do you even pronounce that?"

I was pronouncing it At-lee-er. Never heard of this word until it appeared in gaming.

Funnily enough, the Dynasty Warrior series taught me how to pronounce Pinyin words. Like x being a sh sound, zh being a hard J or soft G. I feel like if you're good at languages (or at the very least studied a language other than English, even though English is a good language to know because it has a lot of French, Latin (via French), and German influences) you'll be able to pronounce a multitude of sounds that not only exists in video game titles but also words you find in real life (like atelier).

[quote name='Jabrim']I remember Ogre battle from the Nintendo 64, my little Nephew use to call it "orgy battle".[/QUOTE]

I did this as well. :rofl:

[quote name='KornKid91']I know alot of people mis-pronounce Ninja Gaiden as GAY-DEN, even though the creator has said its GUY-DEN.
[/QUOTE]
"The creator?" Gaiden is an actual Japanese word.

Same for the guy who said Taisen, it's just another Japanese word.

Did I say it wasn't? The thread title is "Games titles you can't (or think you can't) pronounce". I can't pronounce that word probably because I speak English.

[quote name='elessar123']Mushihimesama is actually very easy to pronounce. moo-shee-hee-meh-sah-mah. A lot of these titles are really just Japanese titles.

Yggdrasil is a common Japanese theme also; Etrian Odyssey is Yggdrasil labyrinth, Mana Tree is as well, so forth.[/QUOTE]

Yggdrasil is from Norse mythology.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']I literally HATE people who pronounce it Mare-eo.[/QUOTE]

So you hate people with Boston accents? I think you may be overreacting.

Edit: On second thought, fuck those people.

Let's see here...
The Atelier games.
The Ys games (I used to call them Why-z also)
Yggdra Union
took me a long while to figure out Shin Megami Tensei
Sudeki
Suikoden (I'm that guy who says Soo ko den)

...It's those damn weeaboo games! Someone tell Atlus, Nis, and Xseed to translate their shit properly!

I had a few friends that called Guile "Gweelee". It annoyed me.

Surprisingly I always hear people mispronounce the word "Melee." I know it's not a game but it is a term often used in games. The biggest offender of this is my brother and no matter how many times I correct him he still pronounces it as it looks "Me Lee" instead of "May Ley"

PoPoLoCrois - I assume that "Crois" is pronounced like "kwah," kinda like in croissant (because I like being needlessly fancy), but I'm often wrong about many things.

I remember years ago not wanting to buy a game because I had to ask for it behind the counter based on some odd name it had. Specifics = I can't remember :p

[quote name='Chronis']Let's see here...
The Atelier games.
The Ys games (I used to call them Why-z also)
Yggdra Union
took me a long while to figure out Shin Megami Tensei
Sudeki
Suikoden (I'm that guy who says Soo ko den)

...It's those damn weeaboo games! Someone tell Atlus, Nis, and Xseed to translate their shit properly![/QUOTE]

They translate their shit just fine. What you want them to do LOCALIZE stuff like so:

Games:
Yggdra Union -> Holy Tree Warriors
Suikoden -> 108 Stars of Destiny
Atelier games -> Pretty workshop
Shin Megami Tensei -> Taking A Dump on Your God. (I originally used "Deity," but then realized people would complain about pronouncing that too.)

Protaganists:
Princess Yggdra -> Princess Yolanda.

Reading Japanese (in English letters) is easy. Just follow the Spanish reading rules. Latin is similar.

a is always "ah"
e is always "eh"
i is always "ee"
o is always "oh"
u is always "ooh"

Ryu is pronounced "Ryoo" (one quick syllable) and not Rye-yoo. Also Deus Ex would be "Deh-oohs Ex". That's it. For other languages, you're on your own. haha.

[quote name='dannyox718']Reading Japanese (in English letters) is easy. Just follow the Spanish reading rules. Latin is similar.

a is always "ah"
e is always "eh"
i is always "ee"
o is always "oh"
u is always "ooh"

Ryu is pronounced "Ryoo" (one quick syllable) and not Rye-yoo. Also Deus Ex would be "Deh-oohs Ex". That's it. For other languages, you're on your own. haha.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Deus Ex is Latin, from deus ex machina, and is pronounced like 'day us ex'. It's not Japanese. And Ryu is actually Ryu-u, so it is much longer than 'ryu' (I personally like writing it in romaji as RIyuU, to map the Japanese characters one to one). So in actuality, it is more like re~you/yoo

bread's done
Back