GameFly August 2012 Used Game Sale

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-r=1]1372[/img-r]GameFly's monthy used game sale has returned with under $20 prices and free shipping on select titles. GameFly's games come complete with manual, case, and online passes. They are guaranteed and are usually in excellent condition. Out of stock items sometimes return later. Sale ends 8/20.

icongamefly.gif
Sale items

:360: Hole in the Wall: Deluxe Edition $7.99
:360: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters $7.99
:360: Black Eyed Peas Experience $9.99
:360: EA Sports: Grand Slam Tennis 2 $9.99
:360: Hasbro Family Game Night 4 $9.99
:360: Rise of Nightmares $9.99
:360: Rugby World Cup 2011 $9.99
:360: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City $9.99
:360: Final Fantasy XIII-2 $12.99
:360: Kinect Disneyland Adventures $12.99
:360: Street Fighter X Tekken $12.99
:360: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon $12.99
:360: Just Dance 3 $12.99
:360: LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 $12.99
:360: Need for Speed The Run $12.99
:360: Rage $12.99
:360: SSX $14.99
:360: Dance Central 2 $14.99
:360: Kinect Sports Season Two $14.99
:360: Sonic Generations $14.99
:360: PowerUp Heroes $17.99
:360: Assassin's Creed Revelations $17.99

:ps3: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters $7.99
:ps3: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine $7.99
:ps3: Everybody Dance $9.99
:ps3: Hasbro Family Game Night 4 $9.99
:ps3: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City $9.99
:ps3: Sniper: Ghost Warrior $9.99
:ps3: Deus Ex: Human Revolution $12.99
:ps3: Just Dance 3 $12.99
:ps3: Lord of the Rings: War in the North $12.99
:ps3: Mass Effect 2 $12.99
:ps3: Rage $12.99
:ps3: SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs $12.99
:ps3: Street Fighter X Tekken $12.99
:ps3: Need for Speed: The Run $12.99
:ps3: Twisted Metal $17.99
:ps3: Infamous 2 $14.99
:ps3: Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One $14.99
:ps3: Resistance 3 $14.99
:ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception $17.99
:ps3: Assassin's Creed Revelations $17.99

:wii: Puss in Boots $7.99
:wii: Country Dance 2 $9.99
:wii: Fortune Street $19.99
:wii: Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked $5.99
:wii: Barbie: Jet, Set and Style $7.99
:wii: Black Eyed Peas Experience $7.99
:wii: Family Feud 2010 Edition $7.99
:wii: Get Up and Dance $7.99
:wii: Gunslingers $7.99
:wii: Heavy Fire: Afghanistan $7.99
:wii: NCIS $7.99
:wii: Nickelodeon Dance $7.99
:wii: The Adventures of Tintin: The Game $7.99
:wii: The Price is Right Decades $7.99
:wii: Cabela's Adventure Camp $9.99
:wii: Hasbro Family Game Night 4 $9.99
:wii: Oregon Trail $9.99
:wii: The Price is Right 2010 Edition $12.99
:wii: Power Rangers Samurai $17.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up Infamous 2 for $3.49 because of two $5 Gamefly rewards used game codes. Luckily I was able to use them both on the same order! Hopefully I don't regret picking this up rather than Twisted Metal or Silent Hill HD Collection.

I got my copies of Disneyland and Hole in the Wall yesterday. Both discs have what look like buffer marks/scratches and some chips. The sooner I can finish and flip them, the better.

[quote name='Conkerkid11']Just picked up Infamous 2 for $3.49 because of two $5 Gamefly rewards used game codes. Luckily I was able to use them both on the same order! Hopefully I don't regret picking this up rather than Twisted Metal or Silent Hill HD Collection.[/QUOTE]

Oh no you won't. Infamous 2 is an awesome game! I hated the first one, if that tells you anything.

It would have been nice to receive the LE of Twisted Metal like some of you, but they sent me the regular version. Oh well, I do own TM: Black on PS2 already.

Hey if anyone is interested Frys is selling mortal kombat komplete for $20 online and B&M. I really couldn't find where to post this so I thought I'd let my fellow best buy CAGs in on the deal

Edit: gamefly** I thought this was a best buy thread... Lol

My copy of Twisted Metal arrived today, not the LE, which would have been fine if the plastic wrap didn't look like it was opened with a razor blade...chipped disc too but kinda expected that, pretty disappointed with this purchase seeing as I could have gotten it brand new from best buy for the same price.

Disneyland Adventures arrived. Disc looks fine, also came with a Kinect manual that had a 160 point code on the back. Says it expired June 30th but it worked.

people are getting chipped discs, WTF? I thought everyone said gamefly used games come complete in excellent condition, that is why I ordered uncharted 3.

[quote name='wwe101']people are getting chipped discs, WTF? I thought everyone said gamefly used games come complete in excellent condition, that is why I ordered uncharted 3.[/QUOTE]

Why would you even order uncharted from gamefly when they are selling for $20 new almost everywhere by now

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']Why would you even order uncharted from gamefly when they are selling for $20 new almost everywhere by now[/QUOTE]

Because its $3.XX cheaper; for the CAG inside of us ;). I used my $5 certificate making it $12.XX shipped. (if you have the 10% off tied to your account).

[quote name='Ed_']Because its $3.XX cheaper; for the CAG inside of us ;). I used my $5 certificate making it $12.XX shipped. (if you have the 10% off tied to your account).[/QUOTE]

Oh I see, well that makes sense but for someone who doesn't have coupons, I don't see why you would risk getting a chipped disc for just $3 dollars cheaper.

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']Why would you even order uncharted from gamefly when they are selling for $20 new almost everywhere by now[/QUOTE]

Dumb move by me, I didn't know it was $20 new now, I thought it was still $45+, but are cracked discs common?

[quote name='wwe101']Dumb move by me, I didn't know it was $20 new now, I thought it was still $45+, but are cracked discs common?[/QUOTE]

I may be in the minority here, but I have ordered dozens of stuff used from GF and have never gotten a chipped disc. Could be luck, I have heard several GF horror stories on CAG before.

[quote name='brewin']I may be in the minority here, but I have ordered dozens of stuff used from GF and have never gotten a chipped disc. Could be luck, I have heard several GF horror stories on CAG before.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think part of the issue is everybody being on the same page with what "chipped discs" are. When others twist the wording around and call them "cracked discs" or whatever, it leads people to believe the wrong thing. The chipped discs coming from Gamefly are otherwise playable discs (usually) that have little nicks in them around the very outer edge.

Sometimes, they can even be hard to notice...but if you look closely, you can see that the clear plastic coating is chipped and a small piece is missing. Also, if you run your finger around the outside edge fo the disc, you can feel how rough it is. The amount of chips can range greatly, but unless you've bought like 2 games in the past year, I'd be surprised if you hadn't gotten a chipped disc. I don't know if it's something to do with how Gamefly refurbishes them, but they're pretty common now.

[quote name='Caoz']Oh I was about to complaint about the banning. The FTL guy is an integral part of Gamefly's sales threads.[/QUOTE]

I am touched and I really don't know what to say .........

[quote name='chunlirocks']I am touched and I really don't know what to say .........[/QUOTE]

Yes you do.

Dammit. My order has "shipped" but I have received no tracking number, and my credit card is still pending. I really have no idea how they can even charge a card that is expired... And now I can't even order another one since this one is not going to make it here. And I was told by support that they don't "price match" so I can't get the game if this isn't taken care of before the sale ends.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I think part of the issue is everybody being on the same page with what "chipped discs" are. When others twist the wording around and call them "cracked discs" or whatever, it leads people to believe the wrong thing. The chipped discs coming from Gamefly are otherwise playable discs (usually) that have little nicks in them around the very outer edge.

Sometimes, they can even be hard to notice...but if you look closely, you can see that the clear plastic coating is chipped and a small piece is missing. Also, if you run your finger around the outside edge fo the disc, you can feel how rough it is. The amount of chips can range greatly, but unless you've bought like 2 games in the past year, I'd be surprised if you hadn't gotten a chipped disc. I don't know if it's something to do with how Gamefly refurbishes them, but they're pretty common now.[/QUOTE]

The reason that gamefly discs are chipped is because of the cardboard mailers that they use for rentals (like Netflix).

Just received my Twisted Metal today.. and it is the limited edition! Jackpot!! :D

Disc is perfectly fine and chipless, but then again, I've never received one of these oft-referenced "chipped discs" anyway, so no surprise there. ;) Pittsburgh, PA shipping center, if anyone is wondering.

Got my twisted metal too and its limited edition but I already had the LE when it first came out so... Who wants my twisted metal black code? I'll give it to whoever I feel like whenever I get back from the store

Edit: oh and my disc has a tiny chip on the edge if anybody was wondering

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']Got my twisted metal too and its limited edition but I already had the LE when it first came out so... Who wants my twisted metal black code? I'll give it to whoever I feel like whenever I get back from the store

Edit: oh and my disc has a tiny chip on the edge if anybody was wondering[/QUOTE]
PM'd.

Nice, decided to order Twisted Metal cause I had a $5 code that was gonna expire and got the LE with the code for TW Black. Great deal, two games for $11 shipped.

Went with TM since a lot of people seem to be having luck with the LE version. Couldnt find one back when BB had the $19.99 sale. Fingers crossed!

I also like to mention that calling the discs "usually excellent condition" could badly mislead folks. I've ordered somewhere around 10-12 games from them, the first batch being 6 at once, and one of the them had a small crack from the center ring, all were severely scratched and buffed, and all but one had multiple chips ranging from mild to severe. Since then, out of 10-12, I'd say I have received one disc that was in "good" condition. Everything else was cosmetically a mess. Still played technically, but I don't know what planet that classifies as "excellent condition".

After severely lowering my expectation level and taking into consideration that the disc will be beat to hell, I evaluate the prices differently now. Since doing that, I haven't been displeased, they've all worked, but I too don't see how anyone is getting mint or flawless discs. My guess is they are just trying to justify the purchase a bit more, or they are ordering games that nobody rented. Gamestop used games are often in better shape than the 10-12 Gamefly ones I have received. :/

[quote name='berzirk']I also like to mention that calling the discs "usually excellent condition" could badly mislead folks. I've ordered somewhere around 10-12 games from them, the first batch being 6 at once, and one of the them had a small crack from the center ring, all were severely scratched and buffed, and all but one had multiple chips ranging from mild to severe. Since then, out of 10-12, I'd say I have received one disc that was in "good" condition. Everything else was cosmetically a mess. Still played technically, but I don't know what planet that classifies as "excellent condition".

After severely lowering my expectation level and taking into consideration that the disc will be beat to hell, I evaluate the prices differently now. Since doing that, I haven't been displeased, they've all worked, but I too don't see how anyone is getting mint or flawless discs. My guess is they are just trying to justify the purchase a bit more, or they are ordering games that nobody rented. Gamestop used games are often in better shape than the 10-12 Gamefly ones I have received. :/[/QUOTE]

Maybe I have had luck, or my "inspection" of a disc's condition aren't as thorough, but I have bought about 30-40 games from Gamefly, and all except one were in perfect mint condition. I treat buying from Gamefly as almost buying games new honestly.

[quote name='berzirk']I also like to mention that calling the discs "usually excellent condition" could badly mislead folks. I've ordered somewhere around 10-12 games from them, the first batch being 6 at once, and one of the them had a small crack from the center ring, all were severely scratched and buffed, and all but one had multiple chips ranging from mild to severe. Since then, out of 10-12, I'd say I have received one disc that was in "good" condition. Everything else was cosmetically a mess. Still played technically, but I don't know what planet that classifies as "excellent condition".

After severely lowering my expectation level and taking into consideration that the disc will be beat to hell, I evaluate the prices differently now. Since doing that, I haven't been displeased, they've all worked, but I too don't see how anyone is getting mint or flawless discs. My guess is they are just trying to justify the purchase a bit more, or they are ordering games that nobody rented. Gamestop used games are often in better shape than the 10-12 Gamefly ones I have received. :/[/QUOTE]
You have been very unlucky if your gamefly discs are in worse condition than GS. I have never seen a "good" used disc from GS. I havent ordered from Gamefly in a while, but the 5 or 6 I did order were mostly flawless PS3 discs. I think 1 had 2or 3 small chips around the edge. Which to me means nothing since the actual layer of the disc being played was scratch free. And the box and manuals are all excellent coniditon. Which is really the great part of Gamefly. You will VERY RARELY find a good box and manual in GS or anywhere else that sells used games. Why? Cause people are fucking nasty. Thats why! :)

After saying all that, condition is relative, we all have different opinions. But most people will agree Gamefly condition overall is much better than GS or any other store.

I'll see your chipped disc and raise you a "used discs are better from Gamestop". This is ridiculous.

I never hesitate to purchase from GF sales. Great quality over and over again for me. I recognize other people have different experiences and expectations, but there are way more than enough of us testifying otherwise.

Everyone needs to try it and decide for themselves what is good enough for them personally.

[quote name='nightmare452']Maybe I have had luck, or my "inspection" of a disc's condition aren't as thorough, but I have bought about 30-40 games from Gamefly, and all except one were in perfect mint condition. I treat buying from Gamefly as almost buying games new honestly.[/QUOTE]

Dang, that's incredible! I am buying exclusively 360 discs, so perhaps if you are bluraying it, then that's helping with the surface scratches. Still don't know how people avoid the chips that are on almost every disc I've ever received. You and I need to go to Vegas. I'm betting on what you bet on! :p

wren, that's a really good point about the cases and manuals though, and throw in the fact that the codes are ALWAYS valid, and it makes for a nice deal. Maybe I have the worst luck in the thread, but my expectations were inflated when placing my first order, then seeing all but one be in awful shape sort of annoyed me. Since then, with lowered expectations, I have been pleased with the condition and price of the discs. It's not a deal breaker, but I like to throw in my 2 cents "other" opinion so people don't come into it thinking everyone received brand-new looking discs. Expect a severely used disc, then compare the condition and value from that baseline IMO. It will make for a much happier customer.

I hate GS, but if you do get a bum case, you can always swap it out at the store for one that's in acceptable condition. Same for the disc. I'm starting to realize that anyone I've ever sold a used game to got a hell of a deal, because my games seldom even have a fingerprint on them! ;)

Not sure why people are complaining about the chip disc you are getting a used game. I've been ordering from gamefly for almost 2 years and have not received a chipped disc but that might be because I've only purchased 2 Xbox 360 games. All my PS3 games have been in new condition or might have some finger prints on it.

[quote name='Marauder7']Not sure why people are complaining about the chip disc you are getting a used game. I've been ordering from gamefly for almost 2 years and have not received a chipped disc but that might be because I've only purchased 2 Xbox 360 games. All my PS3 games have been in new condition or might have some finger prints on it.[/QUOTE]

I've received a few games with chips on them. All of which have been 360 games. They've all played perfectly, so the chips haven't been an issue that I've worried about. If they were impacting the actual performance of the disk, then I'd start being more concerned. I also fully understand Gamefly and Gamestop are selling used games and make no claims that they are in mint/near mint conditon; so I don't think I really would have room to complain unless the chips were making my purchases defective.

Yes, what is this obsession with cosmetic "chips"? Since when does that matter for used games? This isn't the comic collection business, is it? We're still talking about video games and their playability (that is what I always assumed the "excellent condition" referred to), and I have *never* had a problem w/ GF discs out of the 10 or so I've ordered.

[quote name='csmason1']Yes, what is this obsession with cosmetic "chips"? Since when does that matter for used games? This isn't the comic collection business, is it? We're still talking about video games and their playability (that is what I always assumed the "excellent condition" referred to), and I have *never* had a problem w/ GF discs out of the 10 or so I've ordered.[/QUOTE]

I usually like to trade in games to GameStop or bestbuy for store credit once I get bored of them and are just sitting there collecting dust. I don't have all the cash to buy all the games I want so I trade them in and if the discs have chips on it, even if it works perfectly fine, no store will accept it

Yeah, Gamestop around here blows. They've got a policy now where they throw away the original case/manual for DS games, and all you get are the game in a generic case (provided they can find one, which in several cases they haven't, so I'd get a paper sleeve). Disc condition is usually bad to "looks like sandpaper has run over it".

I will glad take a few scratches or chips from the Gamefly discs. 1) usually great prices, 2) complete. Out of probably 30 buys over 3+ years, I've only had 1 disc that wouldn't play, and their return policy was easy and hassle-free. I'm to the point where the only times I'll buy games is GF, Amazon or Newegg.

Bingo!

Look. There are, obviously, people here who have never received any chipped discs from Gamefly, while the rest of us unlucky ones, and there are a lot of us, do. Now there's nothing wrong with getting the chipped discs if you are a collector of games and will not be selling or trading them with anyone else. And there maybe a potential issue with these chips causing wear and tear of the optical disc drives due to the imbalancing, but that's another argument not worth debating right now.

All I'm saying it that while Gamefly do offer great values in these used copies coming with prestine cases, manuals and, most importantly, online codes, they should really put a warning on their website that these discs "May come with chips" on them, so that those who were planning to trade or sell them after finishing their games can without any issues. I think that's fair, and not an unreasonable request at all.

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']I usually like to trade in games to GameStop or bestbuy for store credit once I get bored of them and are just sitting there collecting dust. I don't have all the cash to buy all the games I want so I trade them in and if the discs have chips on it, even if it works perfectly fine, no store will accept it[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Investor'] they should really put a warning on their website that these discs "May come with chips" on them, so that those who were planning to trade or sell them after finishing their games can without any issues. I think that's fair, and not an unreasonable request at all.[/QUOTE]

This made my day. You are actually SERIOUS? Make sure you talk about this at any job interview you go to, we need more business people like you running things.

Yeah, "may come with chips", for all of you that don't understand what "used" means.

[quote name='wrencrest']You have been very unlucky if your gamefly discs are in worse condition than GS. I have never seen a "good" used disc from GS. I havent ordered from Gamefly in a while, but the 5 or 6 I did order were mostly flawless PS3 discs. I think 1 had 2or 3 small chips around the edge. Which to me means nothing since the actual layer of the disc being played was scratch free. And the box and manuals are all excellent coniditon. Which is really the great part of Gamefly. You will VERY RARELY find a good box and manual in GS or anywhere else that sells used games. Why? Cause people are fucking nasty. Thats why! :)

After saying all that, condition is relative, we all have different opinions. But most people will agree Gamefly condition overall is much better than GS or any other store.[/QUOTE]
enjoy they drive working 10x or more on those chipped discs. No common sense these days.... sad as sad panda...

[quote name='GT']This made my day. You are actually SERIOUS? Make sure you talk about this at any job interview you go to, we need more business people like you running things.

Yeah, "may come with chips", for all of you that don't understand what "used" means.[/QUOTE]
Here is a fork.

[quote name='GT']This made my day. You are actually SERIOUS? Make sure you talk about this at any job interview you go to, we need more business people like you running things.

Yeah, "may come with chips", for all of you that don't understand what "used" means.[/QUOTE]

I've never gotten a used game from GameStop with chips on it. Want to know why? Because they don't accept chipped discs, they look at that shit like hawks. You obviously have never traded anything in to GameStop. Please go call your GameStop and ask them "can I trade in my game that runs perfectly fine but has multiple chips on the edges?" come back and tell us what they say. Also, its not like the chips are unnoticeable, so we can't just go and pretend like its fine because right when the light hits the disc, all the chips pop out like Pringles

[quote name='GT']Yeah, "may come with chips", for all of you that don't understand what "used" means.[/QUOTE]

Gamefly is the only place I've ever purchased a used game that had chips. I've purchased used games that had some scratches, even a small crack once (that I didn't notice when I was picking it up), but never chips. That's not just "used" to me. That's "abused".

i've traded numerous chipped discs to different gamestops in my area. you must've missed them on your magic carpet ride to every single gamestop :roll:

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']I've never gotten a used game from GameStop with chips on it. Want to know why? Because they don't accept chipped discs, they look at that shit like hawks. You obviously have never traded anything in to GameStop. Please go call your GameStop and ask them "can I trade in my game that runs perfectly fine but has multiple chips on the edges?" come back and tell us what they say. Also, its not like the chips are unnoticeable, so we can't just go and pretend like its fine because right when the light hits the disc, all the chips pop out like Pringles[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back