GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Greyghost']I kind of think the Endless Space deal was a screw up. That publisher has been really tightwaddy with the sales on that game. Once before Steam tried to run it as a weekend deal with a fairly significant sale on it but they freaked out and made them take it down citing it was unfair to the people who bought retail box and paid full price or something like that. Apparently it was a "miscommunication" and probably was in this case too because so far no other digital retailer was offering close to 66% off of it[/QUOTE]
bah! how did i miss endless space for 66% off? I've been waiting for that to hit the 10-15$ range.

Between Dishonored and Max Payne 3 I managed to cash myself down to 3,000 BC so I guess I got lucky there. Nothing I want now for three bucks but maybe I'll eventually find some DLC or something.

[quote name='pROvIs']bah! how did i miss endless space for 66% off? I've been waiting for that to hit the 10-15$ range.[/QUOTE]

If you finagled it right with the blue coins, G2PO and then active IGN discount it could have been had for as low as $7.60.

Gotta love Gamersgate and their price mistakes. Seems to happen a fair bit for them.

[quote name='Greyghost']If you finagled it right with the blue coins, G2PO and then active IGN discount it could have been had for as low as $7.60.

Gotta love Gamersgate and their price mistakes. Seems to happen a fair bit for them.[/QUOTE]

Wow, would have jumped on that. Oh well, more than likely I would have just stared at it in my steam list and kept saying "My Precious" instead of playing it.

[quote name='PenguinJim']I've just realized that Gamersgate have Dishonored for $19.50! o_O

Buy 20,000 Blue Coins using code G2PO for $19.50, go to Gamersgate.co.uk, and use G2PO again with your IGN discount for mucho satisfaction.

How did I not see that several hours ago!? I'm sorry![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I just did this.. Might as well before I can't use the 15% code anymore :/.

The Indiefort bundle mentioned a few pages back is now available, and the weekly bundle discounts are cumulative. If you buy them all, the first bundle is $4, the second is $3, then $2, $1, and the final bundle is free.

[quote name='hal']http://www.deals4downloads.com/games/detail/1a3/buy-resident-evil-5-pc-download

Do it[/QUOTE]

Their site can be a little funky sometimes and in this case it only lists Gamersgate for RE5 for some reason.

There is Steamgamesales.com also

http://www.steamgamesales.com/XNSfd/resident-evil-5

Note that they are not comprehensive though and are missing some retailers like Amazon.

Wastedonsteam.com has a sales tracker that does include Amazon but their saletracker seems to be down at the moment.

Anyway, Steamgamesales is reporting GG's price for RE5 is the lowest to date but keep in mind the Steam sale still has a number of flash and a couple of daily deal rollovers to go so it still could show up there and may be worth waiting, especially if someone would prefer to have it on Steam.

[quote name='Greyghost'] keep in mind the Steam sale still has a number of flash and a couple of daily deal rollovers to go so it still could show up there and may be worth waiting, especially if someone would prefer to have it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Capcom sales have been rare. Correction - good Capcom sales have been rare. Resident Evil 5 has been no cheaper that I can recall. Unless you just have to have it on Steam, I'd jump on it as there are no guarantees and that's a really favorable price.

On the Indiefort how are there people in the top donators list that gave like $1 or $2? Am I missing something? I thought you had to pay $4 at minimum.

Also the linked post by Sunghost says you get a Steam key for SPAZ but I am not seeing any indication of that on the Indiefort page, which just links to the Gamersgate page for it that lists it as being DRM free.

[quote name='Greyghost']On the Indiefort how are there people in the top donators list that gave like $1 or $2? Am I missing something? I thought you had to pay $4 at minimum.

Also the linked post by Sunghost says you get a Steam key for SPAZ but I am not seeing any indication of that on the Indiefort page, which just links to the Gamersgate page for it that lists it as being DRM free.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that you do get a steam key for SPAZ as I purchased the bundle myself. Also there is an option when you purchase the bundle to donate on top of the $4 for the bundle itself that goes towards the developers or towards Help Daniel foundation. The list of top donators all paid more than the $4 for their bundle

[quote name='kataztrophik']I can confirm that you do get a steam key for SPAZ as I purchased the bundle myself. Also there is an option when you purchase the bundle to donate on top of the $4 for the bundle itself that goes towards the developers or towards Help Daniel foundation. The list of top donators all paid more than the $4 for their bundle[/QUOTE]

Oh okay I see. That list is how much over the required $4 people gave. It's a bit odd to post it that way but I guess the first $4 isn't counted because everyone has to pay that no matter what.

I am glad to see that Indie Fort is coming around on the Steam keys issue although they might want to make a better point of mentioning that on their page since it is a selling point or even a deal breaker for some.

I realize a fair bit of their games are not on Steam but I also think it's reasonable to expect Steam keys where possible because every other bundle does it, assuming a game is on Steam of course.

I seem to have the last working IGN code or something so I poured out my last 3,000 BC on All Orcs Must Die:GOTY. Doesn't look like I'm going to get my Torchlight II Daily :whistle2:|

Sucks, I guess this explains my missing discount issue from earlier. That 15% was the only thing pushing it over the edge most of the time (like right now with Dishonored, 25% off $30 at GMG, 5%+5% cashback at GG).
Hopefully they add some new types of discounts, since they have all that crap about experience points and leveling and never really touched it. I'd definitely waste a day or two playing stupid flash games or something just to get that 15% discount back

[quote name='randomdud']Mine expired without any notice like the emails some of you got. Meh, this site just fell off my must check list. :whistle2:I[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you still check GG? Even if they stop beating Steam's discounts and it's only the same price as Steam, there's still the 5% code and the store credit they give you for purchasing, rating & reviewing. Plus they're a legit site - no complaints about broken checkouts, game & DLC codes missing, never getting a game or a refund, or GG Steam games going missing from Steam libraries...

[quote name='PenguinJim']Why wouldn't you still check GG? Even if they stop beating Steam's discounts and it's only the same price as Steam, there's still the 5% code and the store credit they give you for purchasing, rating & reviewing. Plus they're a legit site - no complaints about broken checkouts, game & DLC codes missing, never getting a game or a refund, or GG Steam games going missing from Steam libraries...[/QUOTE]

5% off code won't last forever, I think it ends wednesday. The blue coin rewards are nice though.

LOL @ at the thread title change :lol::applause::lol:

I would/will still buy from GG if they have the lowest price on something. The only issue is that they rarely have the lowest price without the extra bump from the stacked discounts. So, realistically, my use of GG is going to go way down just because they can't offer me the price points they need to get my business. I can see it falling off my "must check" list for the same reason I barely check GetGamesGo -- they never have the best price anyway so why waste my time? Anything exceptional will probably turn up here anyway.

Between the couple free games from IGN (Wizorb & Shuggy) and the money I saved at GG, I got my $6.50's worth out of the one-month Prime membership I bought a few weeks ago. No harm, no foul there. I can see where people who paid for a year and got cut off would be legitimately upset though.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Why wouldn't you still check GG? Even if they stop beating Steam's discounts and it's only the same price as Steam, there's still the 5% code and the store credit they give you for purchasing, rating & reviewing. Plus they're a legit site - no complaints about broken checkouts, game & DLC codes missing, never getting a game or a refund, or GG Steam games going missing from Steam libraries...[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between not checking the site and it being a must check. While the aspects you mentioned are nice; that 15% off was the main reason I was interested in the site at all...

I also feel I got my money's worth from Prime, but I have a few major issues with what is going on.

1. They're trying to cover their tracks instead of owning up to what they did. They're telling people that "permanent" meant that you only had to put the code in once. That's a load of garbage. Just admit you screwed up.
  2. They gave little to no notice. There are plenty of people who are going to check out and not even realize that their discount is gone until it's too late. This is the main reason I edited the OP for now. People need to know this is happening.
  3. They're still advertising the 15% discount on IGN for Prime members. Granted, this is a problem with IGN and not GG.

The 15% discount was crucial to GG's prices being competitive. Without it, they go from being cheaper than Steam to costing more. 5% blue coins does not make up for this.

I think there are a few things they could do to save face at this point. First, they need to admit that they screwed up. They should consider extending the discount for a few more months for people who already have Prime, possibly discontinuing it for new subscribers. Even if they change it to a 15% blue coin bonus, it's still better than what they're doing now.

I'm sure I'll get over it at some point, but I doubt they'll get a lot of business from me in the future unless they do something to keep their prices competitive. Shame.

My biggest beef with the removal of the IGN discount is the total lack of notice. I still haven't received that email yet. I would expect at least a month of notice, since the smallest unit of IGN Prime is a month. Having had the mark-of-IGN for a while, I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

Similar to GMG's stacking 20-25% coupons, GG's 15% discount helped pushed it over the edge for number of deals. They also have the occasional price gaffe/doorbuster. They still have good deals (just fewer w/o IGN) and carry stuff (and DRM-FREE stuff) that no one else does. For example, Sacred Gold 2, Crash Time 1, and Euro-games. They also still have VOID.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']They're trying to cover their tracks instead of owning up to what they did. They're telling people that "permanent" meant that you only had to put the code in once. That's a load of garbage. Just admit you screwed up.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't sound like they're just trying to be polite. It sounds like they're trying to cover their asses legally. Would this kind of deceptive wording and spinning on the word "permanent" actually hold up in court? I think this is grounds for a class-action lawsuit.

[quote name='sTaTIx']It doesn't sound like they're just trying to be polite. It sounds like they're trying to cover their asses legally. Would this kind of deceptive wording and spinning on the word "permanent" actually hold up in court? I think this is grounds for a class-action lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

lol... yeah, good luck with that.

Not even sure if you could go after gamersgate since the people making the offer are IGN.

Anyways, it's not really fair to say GG never beats amazon. They consistently do, especially with some of their bundles and multi packs of certain games. So even without the discount they have some good deals. For a Steam game the 5% is small, but still something.

That said, I will be cutting down my GG purchases a lot. However small, the %15 made a lot of impulse buys easier.

I'm not a mod but I'd guess any thread you started ran afoul of the "Don't start threads without permission about your stuff if you're a developer/seller" rule and not any GamersGate related angst.

[quote name='Community Rules']If you are a commercial entity, please do not post your own deals until you have contacted CheapyD.[/quote]

[quote name='sTaTIx']I think this is grounds for a class-action lawsuit.[/QUOTE]
Maximum restitution would be getting your money back from Prime (or 3x that, if my business law class from decades ago taught me anything). In reality, IGN would point out that your money also bought things such as demo access, free games, access to Prime forums, etc and you would only get a fraction of that back since you're still getting the vast majority of what they promised. Subtract the lawyers' bills, assume a settlement for far less then the maximum and... yup, you could be looking at a whole quarter or thirty cents! :lol:

[quote name='Syntax Error']I'm not a mod but I'd guess any thread you started ran afoul of the "Don't start threads without permission about your stuff if you're a developer/seller" rule and not any GamersGate related angst.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out, I sent a message asking about it. Hope it gets resolved soon. It's sad to see that some people are boycotting our bundle for reasons that has nothing to do with us indie devs, at least it's good to hear that this wasn't related.

Lawsuit? :lol: Yeah, no.

I agree the bundles can still be fairly competitive (which is why I kept that in the FAQ), but they're really shooting themselves in the foot here. The biggest thing GG still has going for it is the gifting system, but I've read there are plans to implement something similar on Amazon PCDD.

[quote name='echoMateria']It's sad to see that some people are boycotting our bundle for reasons that has nothing to do with us indie devs[/QUOTE]
OP updated. Best of luck to you all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']...

OP updated. Best of luck to you all. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I showed that to the other devs involved and they were all happy about it.

Anyone know if there's regional issues with BL2? I noticed I can get a 4 pack off the co.uk site for a total of 100,125 blue coins which would cost me $95 ($100 - 5% G2PO) or $23.75 per copy. My IGN discount is still hanging in there for whatever reason (I'm not going to question).

Not saying I'm going to, but now I'm curious and thinking about it. But I'd hate to do so and have activation issues.

Haha... scratch all that since it's actually cheaper to just buy a 4-pack through Steam right now

Anyone else have free Prime right now? The last time I paid was a year or two ago and it seems like I'll have at least two years of free prime when its ends next year for me.

I shouldn't be complaining (although I feel for you guys that bought Prime just for the GG discount) but IGN has to be one of the biggest scumbag companies in the industry.

[quote name='pROvIs']It's a great price but drm free not steamworks[/QUOTE]

You could probably get GOG to give you a code for a GOG version of the game here. ;)

[quote name='Severose']You could probably get GOG to give you a code for a GOG version of the game here. ;)[/QUOTE]

waaaaaaaaaaaaat. I thought they were talking about King Arthur 2

[quote name='pROvIs']It's a great price but drm free not steamworks[/QUOTE]

For me that's a plus, but I decided not to get it anyway - I have the first one (free from IGN,
ironically...), which I still haven't played, and from all accounts they're pretty similar and the
first may even be better.

[quote name='sunghost']waaaaaaaaaaaaat. I thought they were talking about King Arthur 2[/QUOTE]

Wow... My bad, I totally read that wrong. :roll:

[quote name='echoMateria']Thank you. I showed that to the other devs involved and they were all happy about it.[/QUOTE]
Of course! You're a CAG now. We look out for each other. I'll be honest, this deal looks awesome but somehow really flew under my radar. This is just in time for my Christmas gifting too. I updated the OP further to hopefully bring more awareness to it. I pretty much copied over parts of your Steam post, but let me know if there's any changes you want made.

[quote name='echoMateria']Thank you. I showed that to the other devs involved and they were all happy about it.[/QUOTE]
Of course! You're a CAG now. We look out for each other here. :) I was going to update the OP further but saw you had your thread approved, so I'll just link to it. It really is an awesome deal but it somehow flew under my radar. Hopefully we can bring some more awareness to it.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Of course! You're a CAG now. We look out for each other here. :) I was going to update the OP further but saw you had your thread approved, so I'll just link to it. It really is an awesome deal but it somehow flew under my radar. Hopefully we can bring some more awareness to it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your support. :)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10199155#post10199155 for everyone's questions and comments about ">IndieFort Countdown Bundle< 27 games, 6 OSTs and an add on for $10 (96% discount)" thread.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yikes, glad I never decided to get Prime. I was so close too.[/QUOTE]
Well, it would have sucked if you had just gotten it. I got it a little less than a month ago (but only paid for one month) and easily got my money's worth on discounts, plus a couple free games from IGN to boot.

Grabbed Dishonred doing the blue coins, uk site thing. With the blue coins I had...I ended up getting Dishonored for 16 dollars with G2P0 and my Prime discount that still works. Figured I wouldnt get it this cheap again in awhile....and i may as well use my prime discount while i can

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back