GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Snipers Challenge, I don't seem to know hot to redeem it. On Gamersgate, they only give you instructions on going to the website to redeem it. There is no actual code given to redeem. Anyone else run into this?

[quote name='magykmyke']About the Snipers Challenge, I don't seem to know hot to redeem it. On Gamersgate, they only give you instructions on going to the website to redeem it. There is no actual code given to redeem. Anyone else run into this?[/QUOTE]

same here, all the instructions, no actual code to use

[quote name='spoderman']I'm guessing they ran out of Sniper Challenge codes.[/QUOTE][quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Boo... rage... entitlement...[/QUOTE]
40% off all purchases for a year. Let's make this happen, people! :applause:

I only remember there being one level to Sniper Challenge. Unless you want to grind that one level until you unlock all the in-game bonuses, it's not really worth your time. It was also much easier to play with m/kb for me since the sensitivity is high.

I bought $1 worth of Blue Coins using Paypal about 5 days ago. I went all the way through the Paypal checkout process before realizing it had charged me $47.11. The transaction has already gone completely through. My Paypal balance was $0 at the time and the charge has already processed all the way through my linked bank account.

Have any of you had anything along these lines happen to you? If so, how did you go about resolving it? I submitted a ticket on Gamersgate's support site, but it's been 4 or 5 days and I haven't heard a thing yet. Thanks.

Nevermind, I'm just a moron.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mkernan']Have any of you had anything along these lines happen to you? If so, how did you go about resolving it? I submitted a ticket on Gamersgate's support site, but it's been 4 or 5 days and I haven't heard a thing yet. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Never have had anything like that. Did you get $45 worth of blue coins in your account or something? $47.11 seems like such a random number; even if you tried to say there's $2.11 in foreign transaction fees or something, GG doesn't sell BC's in a $45 bundle. So it doesn't sound like user error on your part.

I'm 30-40 hours into Hitman Abs, and I'd strongly recommend it. I picked up the Professional Ed on 1 March for $10 (GMG?), and later added my missing DLC for $1.50. Contracts mode proabably doesn't appeal to every one, but I like it. I get to play dress-up, stealth, and "problem solver" all in the same game.

[quote name='spoderman']It's been that price on Steam before, doubt it's a price mistake.[/QUOTE]

Right around Valentines Day iirc. However it's only $2 with the Oh Blimey 20% discount. :lol:

...hmm*

games I wouldn't otherwise consider buying... but it's so cheap

[quote name='asheskitty']Right around Valentines Day iirc. However it's only $2 with the Oh Blimey 20% discount. :lol:

...hmm*

[/QUOTE]

At $2 it seems like a no-brainer. At $2.50... not so much.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm 30-40 hours into Hitman Abs, and I'd strongly recommend it. I picked up the Professional Ed on 1 March for $10 (GMG?), and later added my missing DLC for $1.50. [/quote]
Agreed. I thought it was very good, even despite losing some of what made the older Hitman games so great (Absolution lost the exotic locations; Notoriety system from Hitman: Blood Money; upgrading/buying of weapons found isn't in SP portion of this game).
Though, it did improve the series, in a number of ways, too [more mission types and variety; better storytelling & characters; added Contracts inverse-MP Mode; Online Leaderboards; etc].

Contracts mode proabably doesn't appeal to every one, but I like it. I get to play dress-up, stealth, and "problem solver" all in the same game.
I thought Contracts Mode was pretty cool. Just hop in a level, you decide how to kill a target/multiple targets, dress-up, and see if other players can immitate you and/or top you to do it cheaper. It's sort of like playing HORSE in basketball, more or less - except you're doing it w/ assassinations. ;)

[quote name='asheskitty']Right around Valentines Day iirc. However it's only $2 with the Oh Blimey 20% discount. :lol:

...hmm*

[/QUOTE]

I nearly bought it, when would I play it? But I want it. But I want to play games I own first! But it's only $2! But I haven't got time! But... it's Ubisoft. OK. Never mind. $2 saved! :bouncy:

Was VERY close, though! o_O

[quote name='Detruire']At $2 it seems like a no-brainer. At $2.50... not so much.[/QUOTE]

I'll wait until I can get it and all of the DLC for $2 ;)

[quote name='spoderman']I'll wait until I can get it and all of the DLC for $2 ;)[/QUOTE]
You'll be waiting a long time fir that. ;)

[quote name='gilby']Fixed that for you.[/QUOTE]
You'll never get buy the game unless the publisher goes out of business in THQ fassion. :lol:

I got hitman through the amd promo but no sniper challenge. I'd love to play it but at the time it was locked to steam and GameStop preorders I think.

[quote name='asheskitty']It's a spring sale daily:
http://www.gamersgate.com/springsale

I didn't feel it was worth mentioning. It's only 50% off, for a graphical update to a 15 year old game, that's been bundled in this collection for $7 a few times. Meh.[/QUOTE]

BG:EE has a small bit of extra content and mods incorporated into it already, IIRC.

I might pay attention to the EE versions of the BG games, down the line when they get cheaper and/or bundled together.

I still got all my retail copies of BG1 (base game only) and BG2: SOA + TOB.

[quote name='asheskitty']It's a spring sale daily:
http://www.gamersgate.com/springsale

I didn't feel it was worth mentioning. It's only 50% off, for a graphical update to a 15 year old game, that's been bundled in this collection for $7 a few times. Meh.[/QUOTE]
Utterly pointless to have unless you're lazy. I modded BG1/2 to play on the same engine, widescreen 1920x1080 res, bug fixes, etc. You can mod the original to be better than the EE yourself.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Utterly pointless to have unless you're lazy. I modded BG1/2 to play on the same engine, widescreen 1920x1080 res, bug fixes, etc. You can mod the original to be better than the EE yourself.[/QUOTE]

But the original isn't on Steam! No Steam, no buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='MysterD']BG:EE has a small bit of extra content and mods incorporated into it already, IIRC.

I might pay attention to the EE versions of the BG games, down the line when they get cheaper and/or bundled together.

I still got all my retail copies of BG1 (base game only) and BG2: SOA + TOB.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. I didn't feel the pre-modding & changes were that worth noting.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Utterly pointless to have unless you're lazy. I modded BG1/2 to play on the same engine, widescreen 1920x1080 res, bug fixes, etc. You can mod the original to be better than the EE yourself.[/QUOTE]

Interesting you can mod it better than EE. Honestly the iPad port is the primary draw I can see. (Note to self: But I don't have an iPad...)

{Devil's advocate mode is on}
But, what if you wanted to have both Original version that you can mod-up and EE Version? :p
{/Devil's advocate mode is off}

[quote name='asheskitty']Yes, you're right. I didn't feel the pre-modding & changes were that worth noting. [/quote]
Well, they're there and worth noting...
...even if b/c there ain't enough there, ain't cheap enough, and/or hit enough glitches to suit some of us CAG'ers yet. ;)

Interesting you can mod it better than EE.
I think that might be b/c Overhaul Games overhauled the engine a bit.
Might need a while before modders get mods onto EE Edition.

Honestly the iPad port is the primary draw I can see. (Note to self: But I don't have an iPad...)
I don't use Apple products, pretty much.
I'm a Windows guy....for now.

[quote name='ezelkow1']Didnt see it listed anywhere yet,
baldurs gate enhanced edition, 9.98$ before any coupons
also redeems on steam
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BGEE/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition[/QUOTE]

I'm actually wondering if this is one game for which it is better to avoid the Steam version... Does anyone know if the Steam version is up to date with patches?

The developer does not actively support updating the Steam version (and the publisher who did put it up on Steam went bankrupt. So, it is unclear if the Steam version is getting the updates, which have to be submitted by the publisher).

[quote name='MysterD']
I think that might be b/c Overhaul Games overhauled the engine a bit.
Might need a while before modders get mods onto EE Edition.
[/QUOTE]

Might not ever happen. A lot of people in that modding community don't think the EE adds much to the game.

[quote name='Razorfish']I'm actually wondering if this is one game for which it is better to avoid the Steam version... Does anyone know if the Steam version is up to date with patches?

The developer does not actively support updating the Steam version (and the publisher who did put it up on Steam went bankrupt. So, it is unclear if the Steam version is getting the updates, which have to be submitted by the publisher).[/QUOTE]

Based on what you just said, I would say that GG or GOG are the best choices for the entire universe of D&D games. Just think, you could have NWN 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, and Icewind Dale 1/2, all complete editions and DRM-free, for very cheap.

[quote name='Razorfish']I'm actually wondering if this is one game for which it is better to avoid the Steam version... Does anyone know if the Steam version is up to date with patches?

The developer does not actively support updating the Steam version (and the publisher who did put it up on Steam went bankrupt. So, it is unclear if the Steam version is getting the updates, which have to be submitted by the publisher).[/QUOTE]

Posts on its forum seem to imply the Steam version is uptodate

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/828936718955271857/

[quote name='Daykain']Tomb Raider collection $35.00 (50% off) or $28.00 with Beth/BL2 discount but this includes ALL Tomb Raider games including the new one. A decent deal if you don't own any of them and I HIGHLY recommend the new Tomb Raider, it is a excellent reboot.[/QUOTE]

It's worth noting that Tomb Raider Anniversary & Legend are listed as SecureROM. And Underworld doesn't even list the DRM, so I'm assuming that's not steam either. The rest are listed as steam.

So it's kind of a mish-mash of DRM. I personally prefer steam, but I'd rather just have them all either non-steam or steam than for it be mixed like that.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Kingdoms of Amalur + Both DLC are $9 right now. After the Beth discount, it's not a bad deal at $7.20. Origin activated, as expected.[/QUOTE]

That's a solid deal on a great ARPG.

I disagree. There isn't a massive amount of extra content, that's true, but it is nice to revisit the Sword Coast on my Windows 8 PC without having to jump through a lot of hoops. I'm about 70% (IIRC) through my first playthrough of BG since the '90s and so far I've seen why it was viewed as a significant achievement in the history or CRPGs and also many of the problems that we just shrugged off as "part of the experience" (rather high difficulty level, atrocious pathfinding, not-too-great AI scripting).

From my experience you don't need a lot of hoop jumping at all for Infinity Engine titles on modern systems anyway. They generally worked fine even before GOG got them.

[quote name='The End']It's worth noting that Tomb Raider Anniversary & Legend are listed as SecureROM. And Underworld doesn't even list the DRM, so I'm assuming that's not steam either. The rest are listed as steam.

So it's kind of a mish-mash of DRM. I personally prefer steam, but I'd rather just have them all either non-steam or steam than for it be mixed like that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for highlighting that!

So for a while, I'd been uncertain if GG had the newer DRM-FREE GOG version of NWN2 or not, since they carried before SecuROM version prior to the DRM-FREE GOG release in Jan 2013.

According to Reddit, Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN 1&2) is DRM-FREE, Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete is not. I'm still not quite sure if this is the GOG version or not, but since it's DRM-FREE it seems likely.

Also GOG slammed GG for copy-pasting their NWN2 description.
[–]agaiz 2 points 11 days ago
According to the GamersGate website at least NWN2 has SecuROM DRM, which isn't true for the GOG version.

[–]PSBlake 6 points 11 days ago*
Only if you get Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete by itself, since it's actually a bundle of separate GamersGate entries. If you get the Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Nights Complete collection, that's essentially DRM-free, same as the physical product. The other DRM refers to the unique key verification for online play. If you play offline, or in LAN multiplayer, there is no DRM.
The smaller NWN2 bundle consists of older, separate installs, with the same per-title contents of the physical installation discs for their respective titles - so it has the same per-disc protection. The larger collection is the same as the physical D&D Neverwinter Nights Complete collection, which consists of repackaged versions of all the listed titles. The larger collection does not have Securom.
(Source: I own both the physical and GG versions of the larger NWN collection, and have scanned separate installations for each using the Securom tool - it's not there.)

[–]agaiz 2 points 11 days ago
Ok thanks for the detailed info! And sorry for the confusion, I just assumed that the GG versions would all be the same just in different bundles.

[–]Jc36 1 point 11 days ago
You sir saved me a lot of time, was looking all over for this piece of info. Thanks !

[–]Bobby_Marks 1 point 11 days ago
And just so people know, the GOG versions still need the key verification to play online (and you have to check their forums to figure out where you ask GOG for that key - the game isn't sold with it).

Meh. I thought the majority of that crap was provided in a feed. Most industries provide a base copy-write in their data feed. I mean who really cares.

[quote name='Izod517']Meh. I thought the majority of that crap was provided in a feed. Most industries provide a base copy-write in their data feed. I mean who really cares.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always assumed the devs had a set summary they made retailers use. It would make sense IMO otherwise you'd have different people describing it different ways and let's face it most retailers wouldn't know what a game is really about unless they played it.

[quote name='asheskitty']According to Reddit, Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN 1&2) is DRM-FREE, Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete is not. I'm still not quite sure if this is the GOG version or not, but since it's DRM-FREE it seems likely.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I bought Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Nights Complete from GG some time ago and I got keys (SecuROM I think) for the following:

Neverwinter Nights Code:
NWN Shadows of Undrentide Code:
NWN Hordes of the Underdark Code:
Neverwinter Nights 2 Code:
NWN 2 Mask of the Betrayer Code:
NWN 2 Storm of Zehir Code:
NWN 2: Mysteries of Westgate Code:

The last one wasn't there when I bought it almost a year ago - it must have been added later.

[quote name='Izod517']Meh. I thought the majority of that crap was provided in a feed. Most industries provide a base copy-write in their data feed. I mean who really cares.[/QUOTE]

GOG writes their own synopsis. Raising a fuss could lead to more sales for GOG.

The real point:
Subtext: In light of what I pointed out before, this could be further indication that it is the GOG version of the game.

[quote name='warreni']I disagree. There isn't a massive amount of extra content, that's true, but it is nice to revisit the Sword Coast on my Windows 8 PC without having to jump through a lot of hoops. I'm about 70% (IIRC) through my first playthrough of BG since the '90s and so far I've seen why it was viewed as a significant achievement in the history or CRPGs and also many of the problems that we just shrugged off as "part of the experience" (rather high difficulty level, atrocious pathfinding, not-too-great AI scripting).[/QUOTE]
I don't even know what you're saying. All I said was that you can mod the original BG to be better than the EE version (since afaik there are no mods for EE). So unless you're lazy and don't feel like modding the original (not that difficult, just a little time consuming), there's no reason at all to have EE. The mods change out the engine, link BG 1 and 2 together, fix bugs, restore content, etc etc.

I wasn't saying anything against the game itself. I have the original modded and I've enjoyed it so far (though it does have a learning curve).

[quote name='asheskitty']GOG writes their own synopsis. Raising a fuss could lead to more sales for GOG.

The real point:
Subtext: In light of what I pointed out before, this could be further indication that it is the GOG version of the game.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and the GOG writer is pretty good. I always enjoy reading their descriptions. That's... plagiarism.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yeah, I always assumed the devs had a set summary they made retailers use. It would make sense IMO otherwise you'd have different people describing it different ways and let's face it most retailers wouldn't know what a game is really about unless they played it.[/QUOTE]

Most major industries have 1 or 2 major data feeds (usually a 3rd party entity for a yearly fee) that most individual publishers/devs/etc post data to via EDI. Those feeds contain things like MSRP, Title, Release Date, Vendor Name, Format, and a Copy-Write (etc). I'd be shocked if the Video Game industry didn't have something similar.

I just find it strange any business would waste time/money writing their own copy-write in this day and age. But apparently GOG has an on-staff copy-writer, which I guess is cool.

[quote name='Izod517']Most major industries have 1 or 2 major data feeds (usually a 3rd party entity for a yearly fee) that most individual publishers/devs/etc post data to via EDI. Those feeds contain things like MSRP, Title, Release Date, Vendor Name, Format, and a Copy-Write (etc). I'd be shocked if the Video Game industry didn't have something similar.

I just find it strange any business would waste time/money writing their own copy-write in this day and age. But apparently GOG has an on-staff copy-writer, which I guess is cool.[/QUOTE]

GOG would need to because their games are coming from often defunct publishers.

Who's going to write the synopsis if they don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back