Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chris in Cali']What are the other two deals? The OP just says "nnn", and I have no clue as to what that means.[/QUOTE]

For the PS2 or XBOX with 3 games will get you $40.oo extra trade-in Credit. and the other one was a gameboy advance and somthing

[quote name='gizmogc']A new game (since this will be $30 retail) will cost EB roughly $22 to purchase directly from Nintendo. Each game they sell, they make $8.

When they are buying back your cheap games that they sell for $4.99 they wind up losing quite a bit.

Example
You trade in 3 GBA games that retail for $4.99. They give you a free Nintendodogs.
So far they are losing the entire $30. IF, and thats a big IF, they sell your $4.99 games, they make $15. So now they are only losing $15. But in reality,if this starts to become widespread, not everyone will trade in uber cheap games. ...just us CAGs[/QUOTE]

giz is making some good points but this is even worse for EB . . . it doesn't take a genius to figure out how good this deal is for CAGs.

They WILL sell the $4.99 games but mainly to people trading them in again!

Anyone coming in is going to see that they are getting $10 for each game and that EB sells some GBA games for $5-6 each. But the games don't really leave the store.

One amazing fact about this deal is that the more people participate in it the better it gets for consumers. I just "dumped" 6 cheap games at an EB (actually 5 because one I parted with Cartoon Network video sells for over $10--but I got it for $2 and my son didn't care about it) . . . at the same time, I cleaned out 4 cheapies from the store 2 $5 and 2 $6 games. But now the games I traded in are there for someone else to buy!

The only thing I would disagree with is that EB likely has a deal with Nintendo on this one so EB is likely getting these copies of Ndogs for less than wholesale . . . maybe they are getting them for $15 . . . so, EB breaks even on 3 $5 games and makes money on 3 $10 games.

But these deals are also about traffic for EB and impact for Nintendo DS sales.

N has decided to make a big push with Ndogs and will take a loss on some sales at EB (will likely discount it heavy at other stores) in order to push this game "streetwise" . . . the association is interesting. Of course bastards like me who cancel a preorder are working against their plan but most (like me) are going to keep at least one and will tell many people about the game and the system.

That is why they aren't keeping Ndogs for Xmas sales . . . they want to get the DS into more hands and also current ones dusted off as the holiday buying season rolls around.

Also, don't be concerned with EB getting "stuck" with a bunch of cheap games at the end of this promo . . . these are probably some of their best sellers (consistent volume) at least in mall stores. I see tons of parents (and grandparents) wanting to buy a game for little Johnny and these cheapies allow them to leave with something even if they have no idea what they're doing. And GBA PO games are going to keep selling because of the huge installed base.

I want to pick up two pre-orders for this and transfer one to Advance Wars DS since they come out around the same day, you think I should do this all at one store or goto two different stores?

also keep in mind that they not every game EB will get is cheap. Some people here already mention they are trading in games like advance wars and mario advance because they already beat them.

Eb is also tougher on offer like this becase once you brought the game you wont be able to return it.

[quote name='ajh2298']I want to pick up two pre-orders for this and transfer one to Advance Wars DS since they come out around the same day, you think I should do this all at one store or goto two different stores?[/QUOTE]

just do the one store... then when you go in the next time "change" the credit to another game ;)

Sorry if i was wrong about the explanation on why eb games is doing this deal, i was just trying to justify it in some way. It looks like eb games is just trying to get people in the door and to trade in more games to them, also they probably have something going with nintendo to get the DS in people's hands and to get people to buy nintendogs. Also we have to remember that Nintendogs is supposed to be a ground breaking "anyone" game so they are trying to attract as many non gamers as possible with this, and to get the DS into the hands of people who are normally not gamers.

I played the demo at target today and it looked really good, when i pressed start and power the DS download demo icon showed that it was usuable, so i am wondering if you can download the demo to your own ds, im gonna bring my DS with me one day and try it out.

You gotta press start and power together to bring up the DS main menu where you can get to this option.

[quote name='SaraAB']Sorry if i was wrong about the explanation on why eb games is doing this deal, i was just trying to justify it in some way. It looks like eb games is just trying to get people in the door and to trade in more games to them, also they probably have something going with nintendo to get the DS in people's hands and to get people to buy nintendogs. Also we have to remember that Nintendogs is supposed to be a ground breaking "anyone" game so they are trying to attract as many non gamers as possible with this, and to get the DS into the hands of people who are normally not gamers.

I played the demo at target today and it looked really good, when i pressed start and power the DS download demo icon showed that it was usuable, so i am wondering if you can download the demo to your own ds, im gonna bring my DS with me one day and try it out.

You gotta press start and power together to bring up the DS main menu where you can get to this option.[/QUOTE]

A downloadable demo would be cool. Looking forward to hear whether it works.

Called my two EBs again...no clue for the second day in a row.
"Uhhhh...the trade in promotion for Nintendo-dogs won't be ready until later."
WTF?? lol

Like A lot of CAGs, I returned heartbroken from my local EB after striking out. But I read through all 17 pages in this thread so far, and it looks like everybody else is having troubles too. So I feel a bit better (lest my $13 worth of crab gba games go to waste!) I guess we've all gotta sit tight on this one and see if the flyer or the street team or whatever pans out.

It is kind of like a stakeout...

Ok i just called another eb games store and they heard about the deal

They said it started the 29th and what it is is you trade in any 3 gameboy advance games and recieve 30$ toward a preordered nintendogs. They also said it goes until the 22nd of august, so there is plenty of time. They didnt say anything about a coupon.

They also said there is no way to look up promotion numbers in the computer so that wont help.

I would do it asap though in case the deal gets canned like other people said.

Heads up to the people in the bay area. I came back from EB over at E14th/International Blvd. and they looked up the deal in the computer and it's there. No titles excluded and no mention of a "streetwise coupon". Also the deal last until Aug. 27th.

I didn't trade any GBA games because I'm waiting for the ones I ordered online.

O.k. so I tried my hand at this deal and came up empty. The employees and manager didn't even know that the promo started on the 29th and I had forgotten my GBA games that I was going to trade in for Nintendogs, but he was cool with letting me flip some of their games since he wanted to see if it would work. So I went for three $5.99 games (i.e. Fire Pro Wrestling, some Disney sport game, and Aggressive INline). First off there does indeed seem to be an Pre-owned exclusion list, but it is very minute. It only involves some games that are usually POX like Iridion. So I tried out the games and indeed this deal is in their computers but it wouldn't go through no matter what the employee tried. He said to come another day and try since it could just be their POS (piece of shit or pre-owned system, your choice ;)) wasn't working. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I know lots of people are getting shut out as well. This really sucks. If this deal falls through then I'll probably just wait and hope out for a deal from good ol' reliable Fry's.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Is the deal still going on?

If so, where can I find info?[/QUOTE]

Just ask your local EB associate.

I just went to the EB Games in the Fashion Square Mall in Orlando and the employee knew of the deal. He scanned my GBA games and took down what version I was getting (Dachshund & Friends). He said to call back in a couple days to make sure he was able to get the code or get his manager to make it work without the coupon/code and I can pick up the pre-order slip when I wanted.

I already preordered my version and paid 10 bucks toward it. Do you think I could use this deal to get a different version? (Preordered Dach, would use this to get Lab, but only if it's possible, I don't wanna BUY another one)

Just transfer your money to another game for now, or tell them to put it on a store credit card for you to use on another game. You could always transfer to random DS game X and then switch the 10$ to what you really want.

So go to ebgames one day cancel the order, come back the next and say you changed your mind and bring in 3 gba games to trade in.

YES! Mwahaha! It worked!

I traded in Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and NES Classics Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the Dachshund version without a hitch! The guy looked it up in the computer, found it, and was able to do it without any coupon or anything (never even mentioned one). He had to manually raise the prices himself, but that was the only problem. I also bought Kirby Canvas Curse while I was there, making my DS collection 6 complete games plus one demo, and come the 23rd, 7 complete games plus one demo!

Best. Deal. Ever.

Okay, I think I'll call them up tomorrow and ask if they know of the deal. If they do, I'll go in and cancel my order, and I'll go in the next day and bring in 3 GBA games.

Question: Is there a restrictions list? o_O

Damn, I did it again but my stores don't have any info in the system about it . . . so they are saying that POX games don't count . . . so, I'm sitting with a $5.40 Dragonball Z collectible card game that they wouldn't take and a $3 Iridion . . .

But I do have three preorders in with very little outlay . . . although I'll likely replace some of the games I traded in (at about $5 each).

I wonder if they are brewing up a POX list before they put this offer in the system?

I hope to still trade these games in.

Funny, the guy at my store didn't know about the deal but he's good friends with the guy at the store that did the deal . . . plus I had a receipt . . . so he did it!

[quote name='Kayday']Heads up to the people in the bay area. I came back from EB over at E14th/International Blvd. and they looked up the deal in the computer and it's there. No titles excluded and no mention of a "streetwise coupon". Also the deal last until Aug. 27th.

I didn't trade any GBA games because I'm waiting for the ones I ordered online.[/QUOTE]
I check the other store in San Leandro and they didnt even bother checking if there is any deal.

Got here after the OP's post was edited to nothing.

Anybody care to fill in the blanks for the latecomers? (I removed the space between the last two words to cut down on sexual references, but mentioned it so the under 18 crowd could get a chuckle before September.)

[quote name='sixersballernum3']POX games? o_O[/QUOTE]

I think it just happened to me . . . when the first games were put in . . . the computer didn't automatically take the deal and the clerk said "oh there's a POX game there (Iridion)." OK, then they tried it with only PO games and it still didn't automatically take but the guys held to no POX games. Today, I tried to give only PO games right away knowing he would have to adjust them up and then do a second one with the POX games . . . but I didn't think Dragonball Z was going to be POX :whistle2:(

whether the final deal (with coupon or whatever) has excluded games remains to be seen.

Personally, I prefer the other deals buying $5 games and trading them in for $10 . . . at my store they don't care if they are sealed so I can get my cash back if a game is unexpectedly POX.

Can someone sum up this deal for me? i've gone back a few pages and i'm having trouble grasping exactly what the deal is. why did the OP erase his intial post?

anyways, i would appreciate some help. thanks.

[quote name='schultzed']Damn, I did it again but my stores don't have any info in the system about it . . . so they are saying that POX games don't count . . . so, I'm sitting with a $5.40 Dragonball Z collectible card game that they wouldn't take and a $3 Iridion . . .

But I do have three preorders in with very little outlay . . . although I'll likely replace some of the games I traded in (at about $5 each).

I wonder if they are brewing up a POX list before they put this offer in the system?

I hope to still trade these games in.

Funny, the guy at my store didn't know about the deal but he's good friends with the guy at the store that did the deal . . . plus I had a receipt . . . so he did it![/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happened to me at my store. The guy was totally cool with letting flip some games in (forgot mine), but he said not to take any of the POX games. So I only took games that were $5.99 non POX and the deal still wouldn't work. My guess is that it either was tooken out of the system/wasn't in and they are turning up some huge massive POX list which will suck.

OK, here goes...
The OP posted a deal: Trade in ANY 3 GBA games and get Nintendogs free. People went and tried it. Turns out you actually need some mystery "StreetWise" coupon for the deal to go through. Some EB stores ignored this and let the deal work. Other EB stores just turned aside CAGs because they didn't have the coupon code.
As of now, it is a YMMV. It works at some stores, while other stores are more stubborn and reject you. We are all waiting for a coupon, possibly in the next flyer or possibly available in the near future on streetwise.com
Go out and try your luck...

I just came back from EB and did the deal (I called in ahead of time, so should anyone else). I traded in 3 GBA games. It was put towards a fully paid copy of Nintendogs (each game rings up $10, the game is valued at $30). They NEVER asked for a coupon or even brought it up. They just started ringing up the games.

Summary: It works

In that case, I plan on calling up my local EB and see if the deal is good.

If it is, I'll transfer my credit. If not, I'll keep my preorder.

Ok I went into eb earlir today. I had two of my own games and bought a $5 one there to use. I asked about the deal and the guy didn't know about it, but thankfully he went looking into the computer system and said "Oh wow, we do" so I did the trade process, and right at the end he saw "Oh...it says you need a coupon?" and he said hrrm, and called up another EB and they told him to just make the games $10 each for trade in. I didn't have to pay tax on it (some people here did). SWEEEEEEEEEET DEAL

It worked great for me. Traded in 6 crappy old games, got 2 copies of Nintendogs. The dude said I needed a coupon, but then he got the manager to overwrite it.

I don't have a DS though, so I'm probably gonna put preorders down for Death Jr. and GTA: Liberty City Stories with the credit.

[quote name='TJordan522']OK, here goes...
The OP posted a deal: Trade in ANY 3 GBA games and get Nintendogs free. People went and tried it. Turns out you actually need some mystery "StreetWise" coupon for the deal to go through. Some EB stores ignored this and let the deal work. Other EB stores just turned aside CAGs because they didn't have the coupon code.
As of now, it is a YMMV. It works at some stores, while other stores are more stubborn and reject you. We are all waiting for a coupon, possibly in the next flyer or possibly available in the near future on streetwise.com
Go out and try your luck...[/QUOTE]

great. thanks for that. i am going to try it this week!

PLEASE stop forcing employees of eb to do this deal for you without coupon, just follow the rules and get the coupon...my job is on the line..I had someone call the local mall and say that I told them to overide for the promotion cosidering that I NEVER said that...NOW i am on the brink of losing my job...stop abusing this or i will lose my job. My DM has received calles from the Chicago area about me also. I have a family to think about here! The whole state of WI thinks im telling people to force the promotion, and some of the chicago area....

[quote name='munch']great. thanks for that. i am going to try it this week![/QUOTE]

I'm going to try my luck at it later this week as well. If it doesn't work, I'm not losing anything by trying, so I might as well have a go at it. By the end of the week, the mysterious coupon may actually be appearing somewhere as well. :D

[quote name='jrbernal83']PLEASE stop forcing employees of eb to do this deal for you without coupon...my job is on the line..I had someone call the local mall and say that I told them to overide for the promotion cosidering that I NEVER said that...NOW i am on the brink of losing my job...stop abusing this or i will lose my job. My DM has received calles from the Chicago area about me also. I have a family to think about here![/QUOTE]

You're supporting your family on an EBGames salary? You can make that money anywhere, so don't act like you're losing your corporate position at Microsoft or some shit.

Second of all, if you didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. There's something fishy about this post.

Would I be able to PM this at GameStop? The closet EB to me is 22 miles and I can't drive AND my parent would never take me that far "just for a game".

[quote name='Chris in Cali']You're supporting your family on an EBGames salary? You can make that money anywhere, so don't act like you're losing your corporate position at Microsoft or some shit.

Second of all, if you didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. There's something fishy about this post.[/QUOTE]

NO not just my eb salary, IM still collecting unemployment until Jan and my wife works...I have 2 kids, Im just pissed cause someone, if not most of you are abusing this to get the game. If you are, dont tell them about me, I only told you guys about the deal. DONT KILL THE MESSENGER
doesnt anybody do the right thing nowadays

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Okay, so show us where the coupon is.[/QUOTE]
The computer says it is in Streetwise magazine. I have no idea how to get it? im sure someone will post it soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back