GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno, apparently they did. But there are still those few people posting pics saying they didnt.

I'd just rather be safe than sorry, 5-10$ to keep my screen scratch free is better than raging after i somehow accidentally scratch it in a freak accident.

[quote name='cigaro']1. yes it is backwards compatible. And you can play it fullscreen or at a smaller native screen resolution.

2. Yes the 3D can be turned off completely.[/QUOTE]

Much obliged

Just got off the phone with my local GameStop. They said they have printed off direction sheets for the 3DS to 3DS XL along with WiFi to accommodate everyone tomorrow. Music to my ears!

[quote name='Raider']Anything yet about DS Lite values? I was hearing $40 dollars. Can that be combined with the $100 for the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

I also want to know this. Looking to trade in my 3ds and dsixl. Really hoping I can...

Oh I wanted to come in and tell everyone thanks for making this thread one of the most popular on the CAG front page....

First thread I have actually created here, I am glad it has been such a help to some people :D

Yup, I will be lined up Monday morning for this. Unless they do have it Sunday, then I will be there tomorrow AM. If you can afford it, why the hell not!

[quote name='NEP']I tried to trade in my 3ds without a stylus or charger the other day.

They offered to take $10 off my trade to cover the charger, but said they couldn't do the same for the stylus.

Doesn't make any sense, but this is Gamestop were talking about here.. they hire idiots without hesitance.[/QUOTE]

Best buy has screen protectors, cart case, stylus sets on sale for 99 ¢ 3ds and dsixl.

[quote name='vasco']Yup, I will be lined up Monday morning for this. Unless they do have it Sunday, then I will be there tomorrow AM. If you can afford it, why the hell not![/QUOTE]

Isn't the official release date tomorrow?

If I choose to back up my SD Card but forego the system transfer (since my local Gamestops refuse to oblige), I won't lose any save data or anything right? However, since I bought some DLC songs from FF Theatrhythm, I'm guessing I'd lose those without a system transfer; is that correct?

[quote name='imac2much']If I choose to back up my SD Card but forego the system transfer (since my local Gamestops refuse to oblige), I won't lose any save data or anything right? However, since I bought some DLC songs from FF Theatrhythm, I'm guessing I'd lose those without a system transfer; is that correct?[/QUOTE]

if you dont do a system transfer you lose everything on your 3ds

backing up your memory card does nothing

[quote name='Raider']Anything yet about DS Lite values? I was hearing $40 dollars. Can that be combined with the $100 for the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

The manager at my GameStop told me $40 for the lite and $100 for the 3DS as part of the promotion this past Monday.

He said "hey that's $140 off the XL, not bad." I assume that meant i could trade both in but I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Have a ton of GameStop credit (about $160 worth) but don't know if I want to just get it from best buy with a price match from frys. I also have a little bit of best buy credit.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should hold out and hope they release a white one here?

[quote name='iiSaviour']For me it is the screen and the controls (even with CPP) that kill it for me. I just can't do it. I am hoping the XL fixes this. I've heard from quite a few people it is an entirely different game on the XL.[/QUOTE]

Oh trust me it is. I thought the small screen and KH3D didn't add up. It was just a bad experience. I got the XL early, earlier this morning, and it feels completely different. I played it for 5 hours straight and had a blast. Games like KH shouldn't be played on small screens.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I can't justify losing the extra $70 I originally paid then having to pay another $100 plus tax for a bigger screen.[/QUOTE]
Bigger screens, proper 1:1 ratio for DS games, better Start/Select/Home buttons, better stylus and a proper place for it, none of that stupid top screen scratching.

[quote name='fullcourt']Is there any way I can both wait for a black or white 3DS XL and get the exchange deal?[/QUOTE]

I think you could buy the 3DS XL after doing the deal and return it a day later to get money/credit back (depends on how you pay). Should work unless they've changed it.

[quote name='Tygamr']I think you could buy the 3DS XL after doing the deal and return it a day later to get money/credit back (depends on how you pay). Should work unless they've changed it.[/QUOTE]
Well I'd like to have a 3DS to play. I just wish GS would offer this deal again when a new color comes out.

[quote name='fullcourt']Is there any way I can both wait for a black or white 3DS XL and get the exchange deal?[/QUOTE]

no cause the deal only goes on for a week and i think you only have 30 days to return the items

Now they will offer something in 6 months or a year if or when those colors come out

will it be 100 bucks (doubtful) will be it 50 bucks or 25 bucks noone knows

(before this promo the were offering between 45 and 55 for a 3ds base price

[quote name='slidecage']if you dont do a system transfer you lose everything on your 3ds

backing up your memory card does nothing[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
Since my local gamestop's won't allow me to bring the XL home to do system transfer, can I buy the XL at Fry's for $180, system transfer to that XL, trade in my 3ds at gamestop for $100 with purchase of another XL, then return the XL at gamestop? Would I be able to keep the $100 credit from my traded in 3DS?

Sorry if this sounds confusing :)

[quote name='imac2much']Thanks for the info.
Since my local gamestop's won't allow me to bring the XL home to do system transfer, can I buy the XL at Fry's for $180, system transfer to that XL, trade in my 3ds at gamestop for $100 with purchase of another XL, then return the XL at gamestop? Would I be able to keep the $100 credit from my traded in 3DS?

Sorry if this sounds confusing :)[/QUOTE]It might look a bit shady, but I think you should be able to do that. Just make sure the XLs' color is the same (obviously). :)

Sorry if this sounds confusing :)[/QUOTE]

That's called return fraud, and the answer is NO. Ridiculous.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Just got home with both, swear the screens on this thing are huge.

Time to begin the transfer![/QUOTE]

They let you bring it home to transfer then bring back for credit? Sorry, just wondering on confirmation of this or if it is YMMV.

[quote name='Zmonkay']They let you bring it home to transfer then bring back for credit? Sorry, just wondering on confirmation of this or if it is YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Let me bring it home to transfer, and he counted the 100$ toward the price.

Sorry if this sounds confusing :)[/QUOTE]

So you want to return the frys xl to gamestop? That won't work because they check serials.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Let me bring it home to transfer, and he counted the 100$ toward the price.[/QUOTE]

Sweet thanks! I'm out of town now, but hopefully tonight when I get back my store will have stock and let me do that.

[quote name='blankempathy']So you want to return the frys xl to gamestop? That won't work because they check serials.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, to clarify, I wanted to return the Gamestop XL back to Gamestop. I'm not sure why this would be return fraud. I want to keep the Fry XL since I performed the system transfer on it. I only wanted to get the $100 trade in credit from Gamestop for my old 3DS. I don't even want to open the Gamestop XL, I'd only buy it because that's necessary to get the $100 trade in credit for the 3ds. If they just allowed me to perform system transfer on it, I would gladly give all my business to Gamestop, but I'm not sure why none of my local stores will accommodate that.

[quote name='imac2much']Sorry, to clarify, I wanted to return the Gamestop XL back to Gamestop. I'm not sure why this would be return fraud. I want to keep the Fry XL since I performed the system transfer on it. I only wanted to get the $100 trade in credit from Gamestop for my old 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt work lol, serial numbers. Sorry man

Jeez, i can see why people complain about the transfer speed now (I barely even have that many things outside of Ambassador stuff on my system, everything else is on the SD card). On the upside....atleast i get to watch Pikmin working

I just traded in a DSiXL and 3DS towards a 3DS XL and both traded in for $100. Not sure if it's a glitch in the system or employee mistake but the DSiXL was supposed to be $60. If you have one to trade in, it might be good time to trade one in.

[quote name='Makoclouds']I just traded in a DSiXL and 3DS towards a 3DS XL and both traded in for $100. Not sure if it's a glitch in the system or employee mistake but the DSiXL was supposed to be $60. If you have one to trade in, it might be good time to trade one in.[/QUOTE]

Does it say DSI xl on the receipt or did he accidentally do two 3ds'?

Got the last non-reserved XL at local Gamestop. Guy told me to return both later for return/refund rebate.

[quote name='atc250es']Does it say DSI xl on the receipt or did he accidentally do two 3ds'?[/QUOTE]

^ Same question i was going to ask

[quote name='atc250es']Does it say DSI xl on the receipt or did he accidentally do two 3ds'?[/QUOTE]

It actually says 3ds XL but she scanned the barcode of the system and that's what it came up as. So I don't know if she did indeed make a mistake or it's some error in the system. Not that I'm complaining. Clean trade, no cash necessary :)

So do regular DS games look the same on the 3DS XL as they do on the DS XL? And is it a good idea to trade in my Mario Anniversary DS XL?

Ok,

I'm back. At Gamestop at opening. Bought the 3DS XL, went to Panera. Set up the XL's internet. It took roughly 30 minutes to do a complete transfer of systems. The ONLY thing you need the internet for, it seems, is an initial system query to verify we can transfer. The transfer itself is local. Then a connection again on the end system to the Nintendo store.

Verified my ambassador transferred.

Took the receipt back to the store, did the return and got my 100 off. They only wanted the 3DS, the charger, the stylus.

Easy peezy but MAN it was slow. 2 Panera coffees and a pee. That's a bit for me :)

Games look pretty good. I expected a stretch of the image but it's pretty good. I like the 3 buttons at the bottom and the new screen opening click is nice. I won't use the 3D slider click but it's nice to have I guess. Moving the stylus to the side is awesome cause it's right there. No searching for it. I've played KH on it. Looks nice. About to boot up Zelda to make sure the Ambassador games look the same after it finishes charging.

How many times can you transfer a DS or 3DS game using system transfer. I want to say I remembered reading that you could only transfer games so many times and I already transferred games from DSi to 3DS. Anyone have facts about this?

Also, how do Virtual Console games look on the bigger screen. GBA games do not look great unless you hold pause when launching the game and shrink it down on the 3DS. Do GameBoy and NES games still look good?

From the receipt:

3DS XL System w/ AC & Stylus < -100.00
S Num: WW406044783 (my dsxl serial)

3DS System w/ AC & Stylus < Used - 100.00
S Num: WW#######
Bonus: 50.00 Promo #13649

I mean it's probably just her mistake but it seems kind of odd to me and made me wonder.

[quote name='KingofGames']Yeah, it looks like she took it in as a 3DS XL, lol. Oops![/QUOTE]

Well, I guess we know what the trade in value of a 3DS XL is now.

Is it easy to swap memory cards later on? What I mean is, if I do the system transfer to the 4GB card in the XL, can I simply copy it over to a 32GB card later if it's in the same system, or do I have to do another transfer?

bread's done
Back