Gamestop.com/EBgames.com Promo Codes

d4rk

CAG Veteran
Gamestop/EBgames (online) codes and Special Offers

(Last Update: May 10th, 2011)

Valid Promotional Codes (as of 4/3):

VSHIP
- Free value shipping on orders of $24.99 or more. Offer excludes game consoles. Expires 4/30 - Doesn't seem to stack with PUR and CAG16 at the same time. This is the successor to the now defunct SAVER code. Not valid on preorders.
CAG16 - 16% off all in-stock used games & dvds. Online only. Other restrictions may apply - Will usually stack with Edge 10% discount for a total of 26% in savings on pre-owned games. Supposedly does not work with PUR.
FREESHIPORDER20 - Free value shipping on in-stock game orders of $20 or more. Continental US only. While supplies last. Not valid with other offers or bundles. Expires 6/5/11 - does not seem to stack with CAG16. Will work with PUR discount.
15SAVE
Receive 15% off the purchase of in-stock Xbox 360 or PS3 games totaling $79.99 or more after PUR discount. Offer excludes consoles and DLC. Expires 5/15/11. Stacks with PUR 10% off for 25% off (roughly). Games can be New or Preowned.

Other Offers

PUR/Edge Discount
- If you have a qualifying Gamestop/EBgames card which gets you 10% off in store on used products, you can use the same card online to receive a similar discount. Unfortunately, this doesn't always stack neatly with promos and can sometimes be a pain in the ass. There is a section specifically to input your card number on the cart page.
Free Shipping - In-stock items only. Consoles and downloads not included. Online only - Supposedly applies automatically when you have two qualifying products in your cart. Fine print says it can't be stacked with other offers, but who knows. This is value shipping, thus pretty much identical to VSHIP.

Recently Expired Codes

SAVER
- Pretty much identical to VSHIP but stacked with CAG16 perfectly.
20PRE - Was 4% better than CAG16.
10FREE - This was a 10 from 80 code with free shipping.

FAQ

Q) A code you say is valid isn't working or stacking with other promos as it's supposed to.
A) Read the error you're getting. If it says the code isn't valid it either is no longer valid or you entered it wrong. If it says that it can't be applied on that order read the fine print and make sure you're using it right. If you didn't make a mistake with either of those steps, try adding it and other promos in various orders (and with varying amounts of items in your cart, adding the rest later). Sometimes you have to jury rig it, Gamestop's promo system is notoriously screwy.

Q) I have a 10/20 dollar off unique promo code from a previous purchase that no longer works, but according to the expiration date it should.
A) Gamestop shut down almost all of those promotion codes after a couple of them were found to be buggy and have unlimited uses (they're intended to be a 1 time thing). Very few, if any, are still functional. Some people have had success in having the codes honored after talking with customer support. Typically if you arrange it in advance they'll take the code from you by email after you've placed your order then retroactively give you the discount. Don't hold me to this though, you'll have to go through customer support so it's YMMV.

Q) Will my pre-owned games bought online from Gamestop/EBgames come with a proper instruction booklet and case?
A) Maybe, but don't count on it. The quality of the discs is reportedly lower than in-store merchandise as well. Some people have gotten around this issue by bringing them to their local Gamestop and convincing the management to swap out for different discs and/or cases. This is also YMMV.

Q) Can I use in-store credit online?
A) Yes, easily. You will need the card number and its pin (which is concealed via a scratch off barrier on the back). Please keep in mind however that you will be charged sales tax for online purchases made with store credit even if Gamestop doesn't tax in-store credit purchases in your state.

Q) These deals suck. Gamestop sucks. I remember when they used to have good promos. So on and so forth, etc.
A) Yup.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']Whaaa?? Did a mod clean this thread out or something? If discussion of glitches on Gamestop.com is frowned upon then I guess there shouldn't be any threads created about Gamestop at all, lol.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, they didn't like the discussion that was going on. Didn't get a PM about it, so congratulations to the mods on making me more confused.
;)

Since when is $15 off of $80 worth of games a 'good deal'? That was the deal, wasn't it? Buy two $39.99 games and get $15 off, right? Between price drops and shopping on Amazon.com you can find MUCH better deals than ANY of the ones GS has had recently.
uh no what people were doing was exploiting the shopping cart by putting two games worth 40 bucks total in there then putting in the discount code removing one of the legitimate games and then adding another game cheap filler game... so they were getting two games for around 10$ instead of the $25 that was the minimum you could legitimately get with the code.

then there were people on here bragging about buying a bunch of game orders for like 10~15$ by exploiting the code.

Those idiots are the reason the promotion isn't working, sure I could blame gamestop for programming it incorrectly but I blame the tripe that were trying to steal as much as they possibly could during the error and getting the deal shut down for legitimate users.

Like I said my order went thru and has already shipped, but I told my friend about the code today and it didn't work.

All of my orders shipped, although the filler games shipped seperately. Only one of 5 orders was cancelled, and that was a duplicate of another.

[quote name='retrad']uh no what people were doing was exploiting the shopping cart by putting two games worth 40 bucks total in there then putting in the discount code removing one of the legitimate games and then adding another game cheap filler game... so they were getting two games for around 10$ instead of the $25 that was the minimum you could legitimately get with the code.

then there were people on here bragging about buying a bunch of game orders for like 10~15$ by exploiting the code.

Those idiots are the reason the promotion isn't working, sure I could blame gamestop for programming it incorrectly but I blame the tripe that were trying to steal as much as they possibly could during the error and getting the deal shut down for legitimate users.

Like I said my order went thru and has already shipped, but I told my friend about the code today and it didn't work.[/QUOTE]
So it's not ok to 'steal' from GS, but it's ok for them to shut down $10/20 codes that they said would expire in 2013 three years early? Neither is right and it does suck that people will exploit these promos like crazy, but it happens. You just have to get your 'legit' orders in before the torrent of people spamming and scamming get theirs in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So it's not ok to 'steal' from GS, but it's ok for them to shut down $10/20 codes that they said would expire in 2013 three years early? Neither is right and it does suck that people will exploit these promos like crazy, but it happens. You just have to get your 'legit' orders in before the torrent of people spamming and scamming get theirs in.[/QUOTE]

So... I tried to use mine earlier today and it said it was "expired"

Does that mean GS will not do anything to reimburse me?

[quote name='kyrhon']So... I tried to use mine earlier today and it said it was "expired"

Does that mean GS will not do anything to reimburse me?[/QUOTE]
I've heard of people getting GS to refund them $10/$20 for expired codes before. Just give them a call when you're ready to place an order and they'll likely tell you to place the order and they'll credit you.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've heard of people getting GS to refund them $10/$20 for expired codes before. Just give them a call when you're ready to place an order and they'll likely tell you to place the order and they'll credit you.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's good to hear. I'll give it a shot soon and see how it goes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So it's not ok to 'steal' from GS, but it's ok for them to shut down $10/20 codes that they said would expire in 2013 three years early? Neither is right and it does suck that people will exploit these promos like crazy, but it happens. You just have to get your 'legit' orders in before the torrent of people spamming and scamming get theirs in.[/QUOTE]

Eh I dont know the details of said promo codes you are referencing. However if its just a promo code for 10$ off its their business they can do what they want with it, including canceling promotions they are running early. If that angers customers to the point of not shopping there anymore thats on gamestop and the customer.

Unless im misunderstanding the term promo code and you meant to say promo credit (like amazon does when you buy a specific product as a bonus) then I dont see anything wrong with them ending their promo codes early.

I do have a problem with people abusing exploits and getting good deals canned. Im sure a lot of people would have loved to save money on the 2 games 15$ off 40$ order deals and now they cant. It could even impact them offering future deals to us.

Certainly gamestop is to blame as well in the fact they didn't have the offer setup correctly. But I dont excuse the dbags who were on here bragging about all the stuff they essentially were stealing.

I dont like gamestop more than anyone else but if there is a good deal I will shop there. Im a true cag'er in that regard.

I hope all of the shady orders got canceled tbqh.

^ IATCG meant promo credit that got killed off early, i.e. credit that you got for buying a certain game from Gamestop. We all got credit that not only couldn't be stacked, much to everyone's chagrin, they just expired them without any advance warning whatsoever. This would be like Amazon saying you get $20 with pre-order of something, telling you it expired in a year, and then taking it off your account if you didn't use it within a month or something and then not telling you about it at all.

[quote name='ithebigc']^ IATCG meant promo credit that got killed off early, i.e. credit that you got for buying a certain game from Gamestop. We all got credit that not only couldn't be stacked, much to everyone's chagrin, they just expired them without any advance warning whatsoever. This would be like Amazon saying you get $20 with pre-order of something, telling you it expired in a year, and then taking it off your account if you didn't use it within a month or something and then not telling you about it at all.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats messed up right there.

I rarely ever buy from Gamestop as this is only my second purchase from them in the last 6 years and I only did it because I got two new games for 25$ free shipping.

I can't imagine they made much profit off of that.

I mostly buy my games directly from amazon so Im not familiar with any current gamestop dbaggery.

Im sorry, but this is cheapassgamer.com. We get on here to find the best deals anywhere. If a certain retailer messes up on their promotion, it's their fault. We will take advantage of it. It is up to them to either process or cancel the orders. Again, this IS cheapassgamer.com, and we are cheap-ass gamers. We will take advantage of the best deal possible, even if it gives the retailer a disadvantage.

[quote name='retrad']Eh I dont know the details of said promo codes you are referencing. However if its just a promo code for 10$ off its their business they can do what they want with it, including canceling promotions they are running early. If that angers customers to the point of not shopping there anymore thats on gamestop and the customer.

Unless im misunderstanding the term promo code and you meant to say promo credit (like amazon does when you buy a specific product as a bonus) then I dont see anything wrong with them ending their promo codes early.

I do have a problem with people abusing exploits and getting good deals canned. Im sure a lot of people would have loved to save money on the 2 games 15$ off 40$ order deals and now they cant. It could even impact them offering future deals to us.

Certainly gamestop is to blame as well in the fact they didn't have the offer setup correctly. But I dont excuse the dbags who were on here bragging about all the stuff they essentially were stealing.

I dont like gamestop more than anyone else but if there is a good deal I will shop there. Im a true cag'er in that regard.

I hope all of the shady orders got canceled tbqh.[/QUOTE]
So it's perfectly alright for Gamestop to take away $10 off coupon codes that they gave customers for BUYING SOMETHING that many of us could have gotten a better deal from Amazon on($20 promo credit, free release day shipping) without jumping through Gamestop's hoops? That's bullshit.

In my opinion I PAID for that $10 off code by buying from GS and I had expected them to honor it up until the expiration date. For them to take that code and invalidate it is akin to car dealers adding back in the price of your trade-in or cash back offers they 'give' you to the total you owe on a vehicle purchase, which I'm pretty sure they do anyway via finance charges et. al.

Would you stand idly by and let them get away with that? No? Well then imagine how those of us who were being loyal GS customers felt when these codes they gave us to use on future purchases were suddenly invalid and expired, when we were originally told we had 2+ years to use them.

It's not right what Gamestop did and it's not right in the way that some of us exploited these promo glitches, but it's happened and you can't take back that which is already done.

So let's just agree to disagree because all of the namecalling is NOT getting us anywhere and is only going to lead to another purging of this and many other threads where such arguments will pop up.

[quote name='retrad']Eh I dont know the details of said promo codes you are referencing. However if its just a promo code for 10$ off its their business they can do what they want with it, including canceling promotions they are running early. If that angers customers to the point of not shopping there anymore thats on gamestop and the customer.

I hope all of the shady orders got canceled tbqh.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that you have the authority to tell whether someone is a "True cag'er" or not. Especially when I have been on here longer.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I find it funny that you have the authority to tell whether someone is a "True cag'er" or not. Especially when I have been on here longer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think seniority should have any relevance when it comes to being an honest CAGer. I've never had the pleasure of enjoying a CAG gamesharing group, but given the risks, I'm not sure I want to do that now nor in the near future.

My piddly 0.02

[quote name='aptanor']Anybody else having an issue with used stuff not getting the 10% edge card/CAG16 discounts?[/QUOTE]

I was having an issue getting them to stack a couple of months ago but it works fine now. Maybe clear your cookies or sign out and back in.

[quote name='aptanor']Anybody else having an issue with used stuff not getting the 10% edge card/CAG16 discounts?[/QUOTE]

It was like that before with the 10% EDGE/PUR discount not applying at all. They fixed that recently, but I guess the recent glitches and whatever they're doing to try 'fixing' the system is what's causing this issue now.

You might want to try clearing your cache/cookies/history and putting the CAG16/EDGE/PUR stuff back in again.

Moreover, you may want to look into merging your PowerUpRewards account with your GS.com account, as linking the two is what finally got me to start getting the 10% off automatically applied to every used order.

But on a final note I think CAG16 and EDGE were viewed of by GS as being two coupon codes at one point, so that may be the issue if you can get the EDGE/PUR discount but NOT the CAG16 one to apply or vice versa.

[quote name='kylerg']So now my valid coupons don't work. Sweet![/QUOTE]
Correct. Isn't it nice of Gamestop to take away that which they gave you and gave you a concrete expiration date on?;)

I called GS customer service regarding the expired $10 God of War III coupon code and they gave me a new code after I forwarded the e-mail from June to them. I messed up though because I ended up being charged for shipping. I'm not sure if I would've been able to stack SAVER but I was under the assumption that all orders over $20 received free shipping. I guess that promo ended.

Succussfully stacked:
10% off for Date Night (DATENIGHT)
10% Edge Discount
16% CAG 16 (CAG16)
+ Free Shipping (SAVER)

Total was ~33 after tax, got :ps3: Demon's Souls for 12 and :ps3: Toy Story 3... waited to post because Toy Story 3 had a tiny tiny, hairlike scratch and for some reason would freeze out my 60GB...after swapping it out at a store (no problems/questions asked either, suprisingly) the other copy worked fine!!! Thanks to op and all for infos.

[quote name='emg28']I called GS customer service regarding the expired $10 God of War III coupon code and they gave me a new code after I forwarded the e-mail from June to them. I messed up though because I ended up being charged for shipping. I'm not sure if I would've been able to stack SAVER but I was under the assumption that all orders over $20 received free shipping. I guess that promo ended.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had to do the same thing. I spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with the guy, explaining what the codes were, why I received them, how I received them, reading them to him so he could try them, and then finally forwarding him the email so he could see for himself. After not being able to figure out anything, he finally gave up and sent me two new codes. I'm just grateful that guy was willing to help when Gamestop thought it would be good business to screw everybody over.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone getting discounts to work properly online? CAG16 is recognized, but gives no discount, and my PowerUp discount doesn't do anything until I add 2-3 used games to my cart...but doesn't discount every game. How is this still not fixed?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just out of curiosity, is anyone getting discounts to work properly online? CAG16 is recognized, but gives no discount, and my PowerUp discount doesn't do anything until I add 2-3 used games to my cart...but doesn't discount every game. How is this still not fixed?[/QUOTE]

I was about to buy a game earlier and both worked, as well as Saver. Empty the cart and try again perhaps? I dunno. :S

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just out of curiosity, is anyone getting discounts to work properly online? CAG16 is recognized, but gives no discount, and my PowerUp discount doesn't do anything until I add 2-3 used games to my cart...but doesn't discount every game. How is this still not fixed?[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm trying to buy 2 games, I enter SAVER and CAG16 but it just shows them with a red X next to them and doesn't give any discount. I entered my Powerup no. and I'm not getting 10% off either.

Well, I didn't try a used game, but I was able to get 15NEW and SAVER to work off a new game I ordered yesterday. So some things are working at least.

Perhaps it is a certain combination of games and/or special editions? Maybe they ninja changed the terms and conditions? For example, on 15NEW it says it doesn't work for collectors or special editions. So...I don't know since I don't purchase from Gamestop very often.

This happened to me with Dounkey Kong Country Returns, yet for some reason it was working for SSB Brawl.

[quote name='Tonious']Didn't see the 15NEW code on the main page. 15% off new games. Not bad depending on what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

would knock the new TACTICS ORGE PSP game down to 34 + tax

EDIT NEVERMIND

CODE SAYS THIS

15NEW - 15% off new in-stock PS3 and 360 games. Excludes collector and limited editions. Expires 2/21/11.

[quote name='kintanos']Well, I didn't try a used game, but I was able to get 15NEW and SAVER to work off a new game I ordered yesterday. So some things are working at least.

Perhaps it is a certain combination of games and/or special editions? Maybe they ninja changed the terms and conditions? For example, on 15NEW it says it doesn't work for collectors or special editions. So...I don't know since I don't purchase from Gamestop very often.[/QUOTE]

I had a little over $25-worth of giftcards left over that I hadn't used yet, and after eSlaying a Move controller and playing with it over the weekend, it didn't take very long to also want a Navigation controller. It's the same price everywhere, so I took advantage of the SAVER and CAG16 codes (also bought used RDR for 24.99), which appear to have stacked properly even though it showed conflicting amounts in the emails and order confirmation pages... I took screencaps of everything.

They charged my account twice for a total $28.45, which was after the gift cards, sales tax, the free shipping and the $4 off for RDR.

[quote name='Ketsui']CAG16 no longer stackable with power up????[/QUOTE]

It was never supposed to; whereas the EDGE card was its own thing, PowerUp is meant to function in the same way as a coupon, and coupons aren't supposed to stack. I know it used to stack, as I've used it many many times, but they've caught up with it for now.

I called Gamestop Customer Sevice and she said because of this forum even mention it by name Gamestop has decided to kill SAVER and CAG16 to stop people from taking advantage of them. She also said that the PUR Card can't be combined with the $10 Off Coupons from previous promotions and that is all she could tell me and help me with. But I did call back later got a nice person and was able to have him honor my $10 Off. But he also confirmed that CAG16 andd SAVER are dead or will be dead soon.

*As of RIGHT NOW...CAG16 does work but will replace the PUR 10% Off but you will still get your points. BUT you cant use your $10 Off Coupon if you have one. I just tried with Dead Rising 2 and Madden 11. Can anybody else confirm this.

[quote name='H3m1 R4m']I called Gamestop Customer Sevice and she said because of this forum even mention it by name Gamestop has decided to kill SAVER and CAG16 to stop people from taking advantage of them. She also said that the PUR Card can't be combined with the $10 Off Coupons from previous promotions and that is all she could tell me and help me with. But I did call back later got a nice person and was able to have him honor my $10 Off. But he also confirmed that CAG16 andd SAVER are dead or will be dead soon.

*As of RIGHT NOW...CAG16 does work but will replace the PUR 10% Off but you will still get your points. BUT you cant use your $10 Off Coupon if you have one. I just tried with Dead Rising 2 and Madden 11. Can anybody else confirm this.[/QUOTE]Well.. fml. CAG16 isn't stacking with PUR. I'm sure they'll have fubared codes again in the future but that really sucks.

[quote name='H3m1 R4m']I called Gamestop Customer Sevice and she said because of this forum even mention it by name Gamestop has decided to kill SAVER and CAG16 to stop people from taking advantage of them. She also said that the PUR Card can't be combined with the $10 Off Coupons from previous promotions and that is all she could tell me and help me with. But I did call back later got a nice person and was able to have him honor my $10 Off. But he also confirmed that CAG16 andd SAVER are dead or will be dead soon.

*As of RIGHT NOW...CAG16 does work but will replace the PUR 10% Off but you will still get your points. BUT you cant use your $10 Off Coupon if you have one. I just tried with Dead Rising 2 and Madden 11. Can anybody else confirm this.[/QUOTE]
OH MY GOD!!!! Are you serious!?!? This is Gamestop, they take advantage of people everyday!!

I just tried to order a game and SAVER appears to be dead. Very stupid move on their part imo, I don't really shop anywhere that doesn't have free shipping, and this will definitely decrease the amount of stuff I buy from them.

well, I just tried to place an order and I was unable to get any promo or coupon codes to work. This sucks. I guess now that I have to pay tax AND shipping for a half-ass used product, I'll just be giving Amazon that much more business.

So... $9 dollars plus $6 shipping for a poorly reviewed, and old, used game, or get the same game new for $12 on amazon with free shipping... ya, I wonder which one I'll go for...

[quote name='Nightmarecast25']OH MY GOD!!!! Are you serious!?!? This is Gamestop, they take advantage of people everyday!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I think they're okay when it's that direction.

Yeah, I am done with GS, with saver gone and cag16 on the way out, there is no reason for me to shop at Gamestop anymore, I usually shop on Ebay and other various sites with deals and the only thing that made anything gamestop called a deal a deal were the promo codes.

[quote name='Aughiskie']

So... $9 dollars plus $6 shipping for a poorly reviewed, and old, used game, or get the same game new for $12 on amazon with free shipping... ya, I wonder which one I'll go for...[/QUOTE] Get the one from Gamestop of course! Those GS cases are gonna be collector items :lol:

I just renewed my card in store the other night so I could get the discount with the online B2G1. Now I find out the PUR is not the same as the EDGE. I'm going to demand a refund since I was not informed about this when I purchased the card. I don't like the magazine and, as it's a product, if I whine they have to refund since it's only been a few days. I had to do it when I worked for GameStop occasionally so I know which buttons to press.

I'm done with GS if this is the how it's going to be from now on. The online was a shot in the dark whether you'd get a decent or piece of crap game and the prices were usually higher than other gaming outlets. The stores are often dirty and there are absolutely no deals for new release titles (Unlike the badass-ness of Kmart recently.). And lastly, it's just no fun. The majority of "gaming" employees are being snuffed out at an alarming rate and being replaced with failed Walmart greeters. Sad days...

bread's done
Back