Gamestop: Smash Bros Wii U game, gamecube controller, controller adapter bundle $100

yep and dispite it being brand new you are still forced to use an adaptor, bussiness wise its smart as us smash zombies love the cube controller for the game. it sucks cause nintendo is forcing us to buy another accessory :(
Are you for real? Forcing you? no way, you should be grateful they are still supporting this shit.
Unlike MS/Sony.

Wii U beats the tar out of everything when it comes to backwards compatibility in every area including accessories and controllers.

The argument of a deal or not is stupid.

Yes this is MSRP for the bundle, but the bundle in itself is below MSRP of the individual parts.

Bringing this to people's attention and then discussing it is good for the community. I personally did not know about this bundle until it was posted here, so I am appreciative. Get your head out of your butt and just dont look at the thread then if it is not considered a true 'deal' to you.

Are you for real? Forcing you? no way, you should be grateful they are still supporting this shit.
Unlike MS/Sony.

Wii U beats the tar out of everything when it comes to backwards compatibility in every area including accessories and controllers.
Too bad their sharing/cross system compatibility on classic games is absolute trash compared to Sony's. Did they say if the GC controller would be compatible with existing wii u games or is it just smash? if not im going to sell my 2 wave birds

The argument of a deal or not is stupid.

Yes this is MSRP for the bundle, but the bundle in itself is below MSRP of the individual parts.

Bringing this to people's attention and then discussing it is good for the community. I personally did not know about this bundle until it was posted here, so I am appreciative. Get your head out of your butt and just dont look at the thread then if it is not considered a true 'deal' to you.
I agree that it's stupid, but I disagree on it staying here. This forum is quickly becoming a news forum (largely the point of my first post) and these threads are ultimately ideology differences with the people on the MSRP side not willing to look beyond their beliefs. You figure, this bundle was announced during Nintendo's E3 event, which is something a LOT of people are both aware of and follow. As far as I'm concerned, just about everyone should know about it and it doesn't need to be covered in a forum dedicated to deals. However, thats what happened and when you say "get your head out of your butt," I have to ask if you wonder WHY people dislike these threads?

The issue isn't helping people, which is why the preorder and collector's edition master threads were made, the issue is that these "deals" clutter up the deal section. So instead of having a few threads, we're having more and more people make these posts that are more news than deal (such as this one) and in turn, it bumps arguably better deals off the front page / makes them harder to find. Thats the issue people are trying to get across. It's not like we or at least I care about threads that help people, its that these threads make it harder and harder to find a good deal. However, more and more people defend these posts causing them to become more common and more of a problem and the worst thing of all is that all the arguing is admittedly counter productive, as nothing is ever accomplished* and it just causes these threads to be more of a problem.

* I only post in these threads once in a while because I don't want to sit idly by. It's quite the catch 22, since doing something goes nowhere and assuming it will go nowhere accomplishes nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true, and I don't care about the thread's existence. However, I can get the point of not needing this thread. It's MSRP and available at every retailer, it seems, so calling it a deal because it's a bundle is a bit excessive. Why don't we have threads for the Titanfall and Forza 5 Bone bundles floating around, when they allegedly save you $10?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327697-titanfall-xbox-one-bundle-49999/?fromsearch=1

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/328276-free-digital-code-of-forza-5-with-purchase-of-xbox-one-console-at-select-retailersbb/?fromsearch=1

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331030-xbox-one-forza-5-additional-game-500/?fromsearch=1

Bonus one for the MK8 bundle:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330351-mario-kart-8-wii-u-bundle-32999-plus-free-wii-u-game/?fromsearch=1

The first two are dumb. The third was an extra game for free. The MK8 was a legitimate deal, as it came with a controller and the wheel.

Past stupidity doesn't excuse current stupidity. In fact, it should be a bad example we've learned from and improved upon.

I can't believe people are still thinking the GCU discount won't work with the bundle. If it were an accessory that happened to include a game, then it wouldn't work. This is a game in the form of a bundle that includes an accessory, so, like every similar bundle before it, it will work with GCU.

I can't believe people are still thinking the GCU discount won't work with the bundle. If it were an accessory that happened to include a game, then it wouldn't work. This is a game in the form of a bundle that includes an accessory, so, like every similar bundle before it, it will work with GCU.
I think people will be skeptical until they are able to do it successfully themselves. I really hope it works but I have my doubts as well

So let me get this straight.

The fancy looking gamecube controllers with Mario/Yoshi design is NOT by nintendo, is a Classic Controller Pro (not a Pro Controller)

While the one nintendo is doing is a legit gamecube controller which means wont be a replacement for the Pro Controller (as it lacks push-in sticks and a 2nd Z button)

Never say never they a 3ds without 3d ;)
They won't. Ever.

The entire UI is developed around the gamepad and multiple apps and games are developed around the gamepad. In the case of the 3DS, it isn't a requirement of the game to have 3D as you are able to turn off the 3D in the games and it doesn't make a different in the gameplay.

They will never abandon the gamepad as pretty much everything is based around it and there would be a large division between all owners of the Wii U.

They won't. Ever.

The entire UI is developed around the Kinect and multiple apps and games are developed around the Kinect. In the case of the 3DS, it isn't a requirement of the game to have 3D as you are able to turn off the 3D in the games and it doesn't make a different in the gameplay.

They will never abandon the Kinect as pretty much everything is based around it and there would be a large division between all owners of the One.
Fixed.

I knew someone would bring up Kinect.

Hey why not just take the 2nd screen out of the 3ds while we are at it?
If the second screen wasn't built into the system, then sure, I could see it happening. Nintendo could make design a second screen attachment.

Look, I'm not saying I think the Wii U and Gamepad should be sold separately, just that there's always a chance. CAG was filled with people saying how the Kinect and One would never ever be sold separately and you see how that turned out.

Nintendo really shit the bed with the controllers. I applaud them for the backwards compatibility, but the fact that I need 5-6 different controllers to access every game is crazy. They need to update the Wii U e-shop with N64 games and allow the pro controller to be used. I don't want to have to use two wii motes, and two classic controllers just to play Mario Party 2 with my GF.

Of course if they did emulate  the N64 on Wii U they would make me repurchase my games. My Wii U would get a lot more use if my 3DS e-shop purchases transferred over.

That's a horrible comparison... There's almost no games designed around Kinect, while about 20% of the Wii U's library would no longer work without the gamepad(at least not the way the games were meant to be enjoyed).

Kinect was a worthless add-on forced upon consumers, while the Gamepad has been supported since day one.

I love the Little Babies Ice Cream GIF.

But besides that, it is nothing like the Xbox One. Some games are completely unplayable without the gamepad (Nintendoland, ZombiU, etc.) Its more like the Vita and the Vita TV. Most games cannot be used on the TV due to the fact that there isn't a touchpad,

So... Yeah. A lot of Apps on the Wii U menu actually only use the gamepad. I don't think Kinect was an integral part of the UI ike the gamepad. The System Settings and Netflix can only be used with the gamepad.

I can understand them making a wired adapter for the GameCube controllers but why not also make a wireless GameCube controller, one you don't need an adapter for? Not the wavebird, but a new one that's designed exactly like the wired ones, minus the cord/heft, no plugin wireless adapter, and maybe add a home button somewhere.

I guess maybe because it won't be used for anything outside of smash and maybe a few vc titles, but still, it would be popular, as not all people who prefer GameCube controllers, or even most, will be participating in tournaments where having a wired controller is necessary. Nintendo could start adding gc support to their games and maybe patch in support for existing ones. They seem to have no problem adding tons of old controller options to newer games . A GameCube controller designed just like the original, minus the cord and minus the need for a wireless adapter would be amazing, it could replace or just complement the pro controller.

Also note: They listed 10/24 as the release date... not sure where they got that but it does fall on their new release day :Friday.

I JUST WANT RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCEMENT

Also note: They listed 10/24 as the release date... not sure where they got that but it does fall on their new release day :Friday.

The rumors are November 21st. I doubt they are going to release the 3DS version on 10/3 and then release the WiiU version three weeks later. That just doesn't make sense.

Its likely November 21st, or November 14. The 21st is the same day as Ruby and Sapphire but we saw Zelda 3DS AND Mario 3D World launch the same day. But I think November 14 is more likely because both are huge series.

I was going to get this at Gamestop since I didn't think GCU would work because of the hardware but pre-ordered. 

I kept my gamecube controllers for this very reason. 

So, has there been any confirmation as to whether this is just going to be the 3 items boxed together or if it's going to be 3 separate items? 

So, has there been any confirmation as to whether this is just going to be the 3 items boxed together or if it's going to be 3 separate items?
Nope. There are even rumors that one free Amiibo starter figure will be included. I guess details will be revealed in the coming months. Having said that, I can't imagine a big box retailer like Best Buy packaging together three different items under a single SKU on their own. They will undoubtedly require some kind of retail packaging for the bundle.

My Best Buy account is still  fuck

I can't log in. I have reset my password countless times and each time the new password doesn't work. I contacted the Chat help and they were useless.

I dont have time to call in until this weekend. Stupid Best Buy.

i posted the fix on another thread, you have to exactly follow the steps that customer service reps tell you when you ask on unboxed.  namely, you must immediately logout after resetting your password, clear all your bestbuy cookies, wait 15-30 mins, then login again.  If you stay logged in after a reset it screws up your password somehow.

the steps are

logout of bestbuy.com & my.bestbuy.com

initiate a password reset

delete all the bestbuy cookies (easy in chrome)

click on the password reset link in your email

reset password, use different one than before

immediately logout

clear bestbuy cookies again

wait 15-30 mins

login to bestbuy now

i had the same problem of having to reset pw every time I wanted to order, doing the above steps fixed it up for me

If this is an actual bundle (as in a physical package together) this will be a huge collectors item down the road...

i posted the fix on another thread, you have to exactly follow the steps that customer service reps tell you when you ask on unboxed. namely, you must immediately logout after resetting your password, clear all your bestbuy cookies, wait 15-30 mins, then login again. If you stay logged in after a reset it screws up your password somehow.

the steps are

logout of bestbuy.com & my.bestbuy.com

initiate a password reset

delete all the bestbuy cookies (easy in chrome)

click on the password reset link in your email

reset password, use different one than before

immediately logout

clear bestbuy cookies again

wait 15-30 mins

login to bestbuy now

i had the same problem of having to reset pw every time I wanted to order, doing the above steps fixed it up for me
I did too, but that method didn't work. Ultimately, I had to have one of the community mods on the BB forums do a reset on their end and once I changed my password using the link they triggered, everything was fine again.

add to cart, it'll show the gcu discount when you are logged in and item is in your cart
FYI. I used to be a best buy manager and my wife still works there. This is a not a simple bundle of three different items as a package. You can tell that buy the SKU on bb's site. If it were such a bundle it would be super long and start with a 9 and many zeroes. The sku listed shows it is a single product coming from the manufacturer so it's like a special edition repackaged from Nintendo to retail as a totally separate item on its own.

Too bad their sharing/cross system compatibility on classic games is absolute trash compared to Sony's. Did they say if the GC controller would be compatible with existing wii u games or is it just smash? if not im going to sell my 2 wave birds
I can play none of my digital PS3 content on my PS4. fuck SONY!

I can play none of my digital PS3 content on my PS4. fuck SONY!
Doesn't negate the fact that nintendo's sharing/cross system compatibility on classic games is absolute trash compared to Sony's. Considering most ps1 classics are cross compatible between PSP, PS3 & Vita off of a single purchase. Plus lots of PS3/Vita cross buy titles like Sly 4, PSASBR & countless indies and now PS3/PS4 free upgrades like DCUO, FF14, Fez & Hotline miami. Nintendo makes you rebuy classics per system and pay a upgrade fee to play your already purchased classics directly through the wii u. I still like nintendo I just don't support the VC anymore. You seem buttsore for no reason.

bread's done
Back