Gamestop: Smash Bros Wii U game, gamecube controller, controller adapter bundle $100

Hopefully Best Buy will carry the bundle and we can get 20% off in GCU.

Hoping the same, and I'd be surprised if they don't. They had Smashfest, and have had a good relationship with Nintendo as a whole lately. I think I'd grab this with the 20% GCU. Hoping the $5 GC is available again, it was only for Smashfest folks last I heard (and that was a line I wasn't waiting in!)

As stated before, I really hope this pops up on BB's site. I don't think it's to great of a deal on it's own, but if i can combine it with my 20% (and possibly a certificate if they decide to add one) then it would be a pretty sick deal.

I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that GCU would work on this. It has never worked on any bundle package where hardware is included with a game. Doesn't work on Wonderbooks, doesn't work on Luigi U or Just Dance bundled with WiiMotes, doesn't work on any WiiFit bundles. Hardware always negates GCU.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive never owned a wii u (will have one by tommorow) and i was under the assumption that there was a usb port or two in the system. if so couldnt they just make a gamecube controller which uses usb and not need the adaptor ?
Sorry, but under the circumstances, what Nintendo did makes a hell of a lot more sense than what you're suggesting. If you want a GameCube controller without having to buy an adapter then buy the one PDP is making.

So I kind of want to get a Mayflash adapter to tide me over until the official one comes out. Can anyone confirm that it works for both Mario Kart 8 and for N64 Virtual Console games that I have on my Wii menu? And it works for just one controller, right?

Edit: Mayflash adapter, not Wavebird.

So I kind of want to get a wavebird adapter to tide me over until the official one comes out. Can anyone confirm that it works for both Mario Kart 8 and for N64 Virtual Console games that I have on my Wii menu? And it works for just one controller, right?
What the heck are you talking about?

Edit: Oh.

The GC adaptor is a good idea, but this price is completely asinine. $30 for a Gamecube controller? fuck you too Nintendo.

I mean for fucks sake, they were MSRP'ing for $25 a decade ago weren't they? And controller prices have come way down since then..... I've bought PC controllers comperable to the GC pad for $10 or less several times over the last few years. If this were a wireless wavebird with rumble, then maybe I could understand the $30 price tag, but as it stands pricing these controllers even a penny over $20 is a giant middle finger to us all. And in typical fanboy fashion the Nintendo base is lapping it up like it's ice cream. I suppose they should overcharge so grossly when everyone else is so willing to overpay :whistle2:?

I mean fuck, aren't some wireless GC knockoffs going for $20 or $25 at GAMESTOP right now? Because we all know Gamestop would never gouge prices either :roll:

I swear, between this crap and Amiibo being shoved down our throats, SSB has moved from an essential Day 1 purchase to a solid "maybe". At this rate Nintendo is gonna destroy any hype I have left for this game before it even launches.

Hopefully Best Buy will carry the bundle and we can get 20% off in GCU.
Best. Buy. GCU. Does. NOT. Give. Discounts. To. Hardware. Bundles.

This includes controllers and in all likelihood the adapter too. Assuming a bundle even exists that just includes the game and adapter, which AFAIK doesn't.

I swear others on this site have addressed this hundreds of times by now, so why do so many supposed veterans constantly ask for it? It isn't gonna happen under the current GCU ToS, and the one or two exceptions people CLAIM to have gotten away with (funny how I tried some of them afterwards with no luck whatsoever) were just simple mistakes. If you want it at a discount do what I do for DECENTLY priced bundles and save up some RZ certs. Or do what I plan on doing for SSB and hit up ebay to try to find some fairly priced controllers.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a statement one way or the other, but I feel that the wavebird would work. I mean, plug the dongle into the adapter port, the adapter is going to see it like any other controller, right?

Anyhow, I, for one, was excited to hear about the GC controller adapter. I have several sealed first party GC controllers that I got on clearance a long time ago, and this could make them sellable for a decent price, I hope.

I just googled "wii u gamecube adapter wavebird" and I saw plenty of results from different sources saying it does work. Trust me, google really is awesome.

I wouldn't hold your breath for selling old controllers off. 1- Nintendo is re-releasing the gamecube controller that people can buy brand new for 30 bucks. 2- This is the only game that's going to make it worth while, I don't see a million people rushing to ebay to buy an old GC controller just for this especially when you consider 1.

[quote name="guessed" post="11845935" timestamp="1402892615"]
Anyhow, I, for one, was excited to hear about the GC controller adapter. I have several sealed first party GC controllers that I got on clearance a long time ago, and this could make them sellable for a decent price, I hope.[/quote]
It may cause the sellable value to increase but maybe not as much as you would hope. The original GC controllers were known for having a short cord while the upcoming smash controller will likely have the longer cord found in the white import controller. If there is a shortage then that may also be favorable but I doubt that will happen.

I just googled "wii u gamecube adapter wavebird" and I saw plenty of results from different sources saying it does work. Trust me, google really is awesome.

I wouldn't hold your breath for selling old controllers off. 1- Nintendo is re-releasing the gamecube controller that people can buy brand new for 30 bucks. 2- This is the only game that's going to make it worth while, I don't see a million people rushing to ebay to buy an old GC controller just for this especially when you consider 1.
To be clear, I'm not looking for huge profits on the controllers. It is the fact that they are re-releasing the controllers at $30 that makes me hopeful that I can get about $20 a piece for the sealed ones I have.

The GC adaptor is a good idea, but this price is completely asinine. $30 for a Gamecube controller?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

I'd recommend taking an economics class if you don't understand that the price of goods generally increases over time. $25 in 2001 money is $33 now. So these new controllers are actually cheaper when adjusted for inflation.

Also, I have no clue what you're talking about when you say controller prices have come down. Most first party controllers are $60 now (which is absurd)! Sure you can buy knock off Yobo shit, but that's like buying Mad Catz back in the day. Third party controllers are generally trash, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to controllers.

I still regret buying Astro Pads for my Dreamcast. I saved $5, but woof - those were terrible quality controllers.

It's hard to believe but when Brawl came out Wavebirds were selling for $50 - $60 used. One game can actually cause a frenzy for controllers.

[quote name="mask-air-raid" post="11845965" timestamp="1402893423"]$39.99 + tax for me. Sucka.[/quote]

I'm getting:

2 3DS copies
1 Wii U copy
1 GC controller adapter
3 themed GC-style CCs
All of the Amiibos

Even with GCU it's going to be rough.

I'm getting: 2 3DS copies 1 Wii U copy 1 GC controller adapter 3 themed GC-style CCs All of the Amiibos Even with GCU it's going to be rough.
I'm getting:

2 3DS copies

1 Wii U bundle (with game, GC controller adapter, and GC controller)

I already have a silver GC controller, but I may get a few official GC controllers off Amazon or eBay (dat spice orange).

The $25 limited edition ones are much nicer imo i preordered mario and yoshi
How do you know they're "much nicer"? 3rd party peripherals usually feel different than the legit ones.

They're by PDP though will have the Nintendo endoresed 'seal"...which doesn't mean much nowadays
You may be right, but I read that they'll be limited and may end up being difficult to find especially if it's gonna be a gamestop only thing. Also I've been wanting a Yoshi themed controller since they announced the Wii mote being Europe only.

If you can't get GCU with this, then getting it is pointless at Best Buy. If the savings is only $10, then you're better-off getting the game with GCU for a $12 savings, then getting the peripherals. You'd save $2 that way.

I think you'll be waiting forever, it looks like it's gamestop exclusive
Based on what? It doesn't say Gamestop exclusive on Gamestop.com and they usually make that very obvious. Also, Nintendo issued a press release last week announcing the bundle and said nothing about it being exclusive. Considering that E3 was just last week and BB and Amazon still haven't added most of the regular announced games yet, I think it's way too early to think this is somehow exclusive.

Ok you may be right because I haven't seen anything say it either, but it just seems that way so far.

[quote name="Ranch Wings AKA RiceQuakes" post="11846668" timestamp="1402938180"]I'm getting:
2 3DS copies
1 Wii U bundle (with game, GC controller adapter, and GC controller)

I already have a silver GC controller, but I may get a few official GC controllers off Amazon or eBay (dat spice orange)..[/quote]

lol I just bought a Spice Orange controller yesterday at a local shop. I already have four official black ones...just couldn't resist dat sexy orange plastic.

lol I just bought a Spice Orange controller yesterday at a local shop. I already have four official black ones...just couldn't resist dat sexy orange plastic.
I found an Orange Spice bundled with a generic off brand controller for $6 at a Goodwill several months ago. Was pretty stoked.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

I'd recommend taking an economics class if you don't understand that the price of goods generally increases over time. $25 in 2001 money is $33 now. So these new controllers are actually cheaper when adjusted for inflation.

Also, I have no clue what you're talking about when you say controller prices have come down. Most first party controllers are $60 now (which is absurd)! Sure you can buy knock off Yobo shit, but that's like buying Mad Catz back in the day. Third party controllers are generally trash, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to controllers.

I still regret buying Astro Pads for my Dreamcast. I saved $5, but woof - those were terrible quality controllers.
Hardy har har.

But assuming you are serious and not trying to rile me up further, let's take your link and move on up to Economics 201 here: Inflation isn't exactly a set number, at least beyond the most basic sense. Costs fluctuate constantly based on gazillions of factors, such as the industry you are in. In the tech industry, it hardly exists (more or less - this is debatable based on how you look at costs and components) as prices typically go down for a variety of reasons. The tech in controllers is part of this. Putting aside the endless debates on layout preferences, by today's standards, the gamecube controller isn't anything special. But having rumble built in as opposed to the way N64 did it, on top of those pressure sensitive shoulder buttons, was a pretty big deal at the time even if it is pretty much standard today.

Now, the cost for a good deal of these components has went down over time. Hence the PC controllers I mentioned. You can buy a controller functionally identical to the Gamecube (sans rumble I suppose, I honestly don't recall since I don't use it) with a few extra buttons and bells/whistles from several companies for under $20 on PC. Being a CAG, I have scored several Logitechs for under $10 myself. Meanwhile the PS3 controller that MSRPs for $50 or so (often on sale for $35) has EVERYTHING the Gamecube controller does + wireless functionality, a built in battery, and sixaxis motion. Needless to say all of this adds a good deal to the cost, though I think most of us here would agree that the Dualshock 3 is still grossly overpriced. And frankly your "argument" about 3rd party controllers sucking is just... well... ignorant. I will be the first to curse Madcatz name, but there are plenty of other good options out there that nobody considers because they blindly scream that all 3rd party options suck.

Now using your logic, a PS3 should potentially cost more than a PS4 right now becuase INFLATION! That's just bullshit. It really is the same principal here. Arguments about layout and nostalgia aside, Nintendo is releasing a (again, by today's standards) pretty barebones controller here and charging a pretty nice premium for it. Not a huge deal if you only need one controller, but for anybody who wanted 4 (or even myself who wanted 3) this sucks pretty hard. $30 may be cheaper than all the overpriced console controllers in the market, and I'm sure that's how Nintendo calculated their pricing, but it still sucks.

Now lets factor in that this is Nintendo we are dealing with here. This is the same company that released Wii Speak... the e-reader... the DS rumblepack.... the Circle Pad Pro..... the SNES mouse..... I can go on and on but hopefully you see the point. Nintendo utulizes these perephrials on one or two games then forget they even exist. Hell, even Wii Motion + was ignored outside of Skyward Sword and a couple of casual titles with "Wii" in the title. But at least in most of these instances 3rd parties picked up some slack and made use of them, I don't even see that happening with this adapter (especially not in any scenario where it would be preferable to the wireless WiiU Pro controller). For anybody who wants to argue that GC is "so obviously" coming to VC, I urge you to take a hard, objective look at Nintendo's history with emulation, even if it's just the current WiiU/3DS eshop. Not to mention that they just raked in a ton of dough with a relatively basic $50 HDified port. Then come back and seriously say that Nintendo is going to not only port over Gamecube to the VC but will take the time to create a save system for it to replace the memory cards like what Sony has done on PS3. It could happen, but it isn't bloody likely, it sure as hell won't come cheap, and either way maybes shouldn't factor into your purchase unless you are prepared to be burned.

It's just frustrating to me because, as somebody who has ventured outside the console market, I know these prices are way up there. I know, it was stupid of me to ever think Nintendo would price these fairly when they are known for charging top dollar for everything. I was just hoping that, after seeing tons of new (unopened) GC controllers going under $10 on ebay for forever now (still plenty there right now BTW, so stock up now ;) ) that Nintendo might possibly charge a reasonable price ($20) for these. Being the huge SSB fan that I am, I would have been satisfied even if they just charged the same $25 they always had. But obviously I was wrong, so now I am going from buying an adaptor + 3 controllers to nothing.

Last edited:
I just took a look because $10 GCN controllers?!?! Gimme gimme. And the unopened ones I saw were 3rd party. As someone noted earlier, you get what you pay for. I'm not sure why you don't go ahead and buy the adapter and some of these $10 controllers though. Just more fun being angry?

I just took a look because $10 GCN controllers?!?! Gimme gimme. And the unopened ones I saw were 3rd party. As someone noted earlier, you get what you pay for. I'm not sure why you don't go ahead and buy the adapter and some of these $10 controllers though. Just more fun being angry?
To be fair I never said they were first party (or if I did that was a typo, I didn't mean my rant to go that long lol). But some of those 3rd party controllers are more or less functionally identical. Or so I've been told by others gamers online anyways, I don't own one myself. I am holding off on a purchase until I have 100% confirmation that they will work with WiiU, but I don't intend to spend an extra $20 just to have that pretty smash emblem drawn onto the controller. Honestly, there's no reason I can think of that they shouldn't work, but like I said I am not a hardware guy so I dunno. If they work I will consider them + a used adapter, if not then I'll pass altogether.

I am a huge supporter of 3rd party controllers for just this reason. I'm sick of how all the big companies charge out the ass for their controllers. If you don't just blindly buy whatever is at Wal-Mart there are some good options out there, but I always here somebody talk about their one oh-so-traumatic experience with Madcatz and everyone writes them off forever. And when people do that, what reason do any of the 1st parties have to lower prices to something more reasonable?

I'm not angry, just extremely disappointed. I don't know why, but I didn't think Nintendo would actually RAISE the MSRP of these things. Stupid in hindsight I guess.....

Last edited:
You may be right, but I read that they'll be limited and may end up being difficult to find especially if it's gonna be a gamestop only thing. Also I've been wanting a Yoshi themed controller since they announced the Wii mote being Europe only.
Don't get me wrong, ocd collectors like me will probably still buy this shit

All right, WtF?

Now that I know of this Yoshi controller, I must know how to get it into America. They're not region-locked or anything (can controllers do that?), are they? I was lamenting the lack of a Yoshi controller (and a Pikachu one), as I need a decent third controller for my Wii U (got Mario and Luigi already, forget the dumb Peach one).

So, anyone know where to get a Yoshi controller without spending about $75?

Hardy har har.

But assuming you are serious and not trying to rile me up further, let's take your link and move on up to Economics 201 here: Inflation isn't exactly a set number, at least beyond the most basic sense. Costs fluctuate constantly based on gazillions of factors, such as the industry you are in. In the tech industry, it hardly exists...
So why are VCRs are more expensive now then they were in 2002? These new GameCube controllers are being manufactured in smaller quantities for a decidedly lower demand - the price to manufacture them has probably gone up simply because they're only producing a couple thousand versus millions. You're concerned over a $5 increase in price, which frankly is a pretty fair increase considering inflation and the fact that they could probably charge $40 and get away with it.

I don't think there is such a thing as third party controllers in the PC world, so comparing them with third party GameCube controllers is moot. The $10 GC controllers out there have a terrible build quality, sticky buttons, and thumbsticks with HUGE dead zones. You can't beat first party quality when it comes to console controllers.

gonna get this bundle and probably an extra gc controller just because the 2 first party gc controllers I have are starting to get loose joysticks from smash and the drifting in excessive double dash sessions

They're by PDP though will have the Nintendo endoresed "seal"...which doesn't mean much nowadays
its basically a classic controller pro with a gamecube design so chill the fk out before i drop u. early impre$$ions say its pretty cumfy. take a look urself:

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg

ill buy 2 of these over 1 gaymecube controller + adapter anyday.

people need to remember the controller with the bundle is not the pdp one. pelican always made shit controllers so I will stick with the WIRED official version by nintendo

its basically a classic controller pro with a gamecube design so chill the fk out before i drop u. early impre$$ions say its pretty cumfy. take a look urself:

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

i think you still need the adaptor for this new one. correct me if im wrong

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg

ill buy 2 of these over 1 gaymecube controller + adapter anyday.

people need to remember the controller with the bundle is not the pdp one. pelican always made shit controllers so I will stick with the WIRED official version by nintendo
For the longest time I thought Pelican made the Wavebird and wondered why everything else they made was shit LOL. Got them mixed up cause they're both birds.

Is the controller that comes with the bundle a Pelican branded one? If so I'll just buy each thing separately. Planning on getting one of those adapters for my Wavebird and figured why not just buy the bundle. I'm still going to get the PDP controller though. That Yoshi one looks really nice.

For the longest time I thought Pelican made the Wavebird and wondered why everything else they made was shit LOL. Got them mixed up cause they're both birds.

Is the controller that comes with the bundle a Pelican branded one? If so I'll just buy each thing separately. Planning on getting one of those adapters for my Wavebird and figured why not just buy the bundle. I'm still going to get the PDP controller though. That Yoshi one looks really nice.
the smash bundle is the adapter and the official made by nintendo one its looks identical to cube just with a smash logo. its WIRED so its more responsive and less lag the pdp controller is separate and plugs into a wiimote so its inconvenient

the smash bundle is the adapter and the official made by nintendo one its looks identical to cube just with a smash logo. its WIRED so its more responsive and less lag the pdp controller is separate and plugs into a wiimote so its inconvenient
Wait so why were you bringing up Pelican? That's what I was really confused by. Is there something being made by them here?

Edit: Oh shit nevermind. What you meant is that PDP is the same as Pelican. Didn't know that. Unsure if I should buy that PDP controller now.

Wait so why were you bringing up Pelican? That's what I was really confused by. Is there something being made by them here?

Edit: Oh shit nevermind. What you meant is that PDP is the same as Pelican. Didn't know that. Unsure if I should buy that PDP controller now.
pelican simply changed their name sorry if i didnt make that clear

bread's done
Back