Gamestop: Smash Bros Wii U game, gamecube controller, controller adapter bundle $100

Why are you guys paying $30 for gamecube controllers? lol
I personally do not like buying used controllers, and I refuse to buy 3rd party GC controllers of subpar quality. What are my options? Allow someone price gouge and pay them $60 for a brand new GC controller off of eBay/Amazon? Or pay Nintendo $30? I'm going to go with the latter.

I've had four 1st party GC controllers for roughly 10-13 years now, and they're still fine. In my experience, 3rd party controllers have never lasted me that long, and I treat them with even more care than I do my 1st party controllers, out of fear that they might just decide to crap out on me during a game.

ull all b sorry when these amazing pdp ones go oos and they go for $500 on ebay 

they look sick and slick 

So my mom is over in Europe right now. I've looked into having her pick me up a Yoshi controller while over there. The problem is that the only store I quickly found it on wanted 54.99 Euro. On top of that, Italy (where she is now) has an asinine 20% tax rate. So, once you add on the tax and convert it back, the price of the controller actually runs up to about $85, which is asinine, considering that's only a couple bucks less than the post-tax price for the Mario and Luigi controllers at Target COMBINED.

eBay has some lots of the Yoshi controllers from Japan and Hong Kong, but IDK how much I trust them. The controllers were supposed to be European exclusives, yet the boxes are in Japanese (I assume). So, it makes me wonder if either the exclusivity extends to Japan, or if those aren't legit controllers.

Oh, and those PDP controllers look good. I'll be watching for them. I just wish we got more character options. They should release a Pokémon game with a Charizard Wii remote. I want that.

So my mom is over in Europe right now. I've looked into having her pick me up a Yoshi controller while over there. The problem is that the only store I quickly found it on wanted 54.99 Euro. On top of that, Italy (where she is now) has an asinine 20% tax rate. So, once you add on the tax and convert it back, the price of the controller actually runs up to about $85, which is asinine, considering that's only a couple bucks less than the post-tax price for the Mario and Luigi controllers at Target COMBINED.

eBay has some lots of the Yoshi controllers from Japan and Hong Kong, but IDK how much I trust them. The controllers were supposed to be European exclusives, yet the boxes are in Japanese (I assume). So, it makes me wonder if either the exclusivity extends to Japan, or if those aren't legit controllers.
Came out in Asia, Japan, and Europe. I'm going to import mine online. Can't remember where its the cheapest right now though.

I agree with the common consensus about 3rd party controllers.

As stated, I have 1st party GC controllers that I still use whereas the 3rd party ones got extremely loose sticks and other crap within a year or two. The longevity on 3rd party controllers has, in my experience always been garbage.

I was super hesitant to get the Madcatz fight sticks when they first came out but I feel like those are an exception seeing as they are made with legit cabinet parts and what not.

Yeah these controllers are neat as a novelty but I would never seriously use one.

I already have 4 controllers like I said but I will most definitely buying this bundle to get my hands on the first 'new' gamecube controller I have touched in MANY years hah 

Came out in Asia, Japan, and Europe. I'm going to import mine online. Can't remember where its the cheapest right now though.
Oh, the article I found said it was a Euro exclusive. eBay has them for about $50 from Japan and Hong Kong, so I could so that route.

To be fair I never said they were first party (or if I did that was a typo, I didn't mean my rant to go that long lol). But some of those 3rd party controllers are more or less functionally identical. Or so I've been told by others gamers online anyways, I don't own one myself. I am holding off on a purchase until I have 100% confirmation that they will work with WiiU, but I don't intend to spend an extra $20 just to have that pretty smash emblem drawn onto the controller. Honestly, there's no reason I can think of that they shouldn't work, but like I said I am not a hardware guy so I dunno. If they work I will consider them + a used adapter, if not then I'll pass altogether.

I am a huge supporter of 3rd party controllers for just this reason. I'm sick of how all the big companies charge out the ass for their controllers. If you don't just blindly buy whatever is at Wal-Mart there are some good options out there, but I always here somebody talk about their one oh-so-traumatic experience with Madcatz and everyone writes them off forever. And when people do that, what reason do any of the 1st parties have to lower prices to something more reasonable?

I'm not angry, just extremely disappointed. I don't know why, but I didn't think Nintendo would actually RAISE the MSRP of these things. Stupid in hindsight I guess.....
Not that it matters, but original MSRP on GCN controllers was $35 in the US.

ive never owned a wii u (will have one by tommorow) and i was under the assumption that there was a usb port or two in the system. if so couldnt they just make a gamecube controller which uses usb and not need the adaptor ?
Sure they could. Or, ya know, they could just make an adapter so that your existing Gamecube controllers will work without having to buy a new one, and you don't get stuck with a GC controller that only works on Wii U.

[quote name="pittsnoggle" post="11849723" timestamp="1403041292"]what is the point of the pelican version? it seems people with sense are going to buy the good nintendo versions[/quote]

They match the character-themed Wiimotes, have a Z button on both sides, have a C stick that is a standard analog, cost $5 less, and they don't require the new GC adapter. Only thing up in the air is build quality.

They match the character-themed Wiimotes, have a Z button on both sides, have a C stick that is a standard analog, cost $5 less, and they don't require the new GC adapter. Only thing up in the air is build quality.
having to plug into a wiimote kills it for me both the inconvenience and the need for batteries. also its pelican the build quality is most likely gonna suck

I'll get both and just play with what feels better. I like the GC controller with the Smash logo but I love the Yoshi PDP one. Having it basically wireless is also nice for me since I have a shitty cat who likes to fuck everything up.

I just realized one of my wavebirds has a dead c-stick. Now I need to find a 4th wavebird.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the usual cost on a pre-order for something thats $100?  Are the aiimbos going to launch the same day as the game?

[quote name="Crygor64" post="11850860" timestamp="1403090321"]What's the usual cost on a pre-order for something thats $100? Are the aiimbos going to launch the same day as the game?[/quote]

IIRC $25, but it might be lower. Amiibos will launch with the Wii U version.

its basically a classic controller pro with a gamecube design so chill the fk out before i drop u. early impre$$ions say its pretty cumfy. take a look urself:

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg

ill buy 2 of these over 1 gaymecube controller + adapter anyday.
I'm with you.... I'm gonna have to take a closer look into this. I will miss the rumble, but that's a trade-off I can live with if it's "wireless" via attachment to the wiimote. Besides I could use another Wii CCP more than a Gamecube controller now anyways.

I personally do not like buying used controllers, and I refuse to buy 3rd party GC controllers of subpar quality. What are my options? Allow someone price gouge and pay them $60 for a brand new GC controller off of eBay/Amazon? Or pay Nintendo $30? I'm going to go with the latter.

I've had four 1st party GC controllers for roughly 10-13 years now, and they're still fine. In my experience, 3rd party controllers have never lasted me that long, and I treat them with even more care than I do my 1st party controllers, out of fear that they might just decide to crap out on me during a game.
I take it you never played games like Geist of DBZ Budokai (2). Most of my 1st party gamecube controllers are worn out to the point that they are useless in any game requiring the joystick and B button, but to be fair I played both those games heavily and they are brutal on controllers.

Still, you guys give Nintendo too much credit and make it sound like their controllers are made of diamond and adamantium. I can tell you from personal experience that they do wear out just as quickly as the GOOD 3rd party controllers assuming you actually use them. I have a whole bin of 1st party controllers that aren't good for much beyond..... well, anything really. Some still work ok on Double Dash I guess since you don't need to push up.

And yes, I take good care of my shit :/

Either way, I will always find it funny how people think that little Nintendo seal magically makes their controller into an unbreakable juggernaut of gaming tech :roll: Nintendo and Sony both make a nice controller, but they are hardly the only worthwhile options. I mean yeah, I will prefer 1st party given a choice, but it's not worth paying the premium when there are other alternatives that work just as well for so much less.

Not that it matters, but original MSRP on GCN controllers was $35 in the US.
Yeah I remember. I also remember that somewhere around 2003 or 2004, the MSRP was lowered.

Last edited:
[quote name="breakingcustoms" post="11850963" timestamp="1403098282"]i only had to put down $5[/quote]

Awesome. I wonder at what dollar amount they start charging $25 down.

For whatever it's worth, I just got my Mayflash adapter, and it works perfectly. I played Mario Kart 8, original Smash Bros, and a few other Virtual Console games, and didn't notice any lag. I'm sure that I will still get the official one when it comes out, but this is a great replacement in the meantime.

i just preordered them and ill choose later. I WILL ADMIT THEY MIGHT TURN OUT FLIMSLY BUT THEY ARE SO DANG CUTE. i can always go the gamecube route i already have a gc controller but $20 for an adapter is way too damn much why are you peeple so blind. those things should be $10 max

ull all b sorry when these amazing pdp ones go oos and they go for $500 on ebay

they look sick and slick
Have PDP/Pelican ANYTHING been rare?

I take it you never played games like Geist of DBZ Budokai (2). Most of my 1st party gamecube controllers are worn out to the point that they are useless in any game requiring the joystick and B button, but to be fair I played both those games heavily and they are brutal on controllers.
I know I shouldn't feed the rcerboss, but there's your problem right there; if you use a controller rigorously, it'll obviously get worn out.

For whatever it's worth, I just got my Mayflash adapter, and it works perfectly. I played Mario Kart 8, original Smash Bros, and a few other Virtual Console games, and didn't notice any lag. I'm sure that I will still get the official one when it comes out, but this is a great replacement in the meantime.
where did you get it from?

i just preordered them and ill choose later. I WILL ADMIT THEY MIGHT TURN OUT FLIMSLY BUT THEY ARE SO DANG CUTE. i can always go the gamecube route i already have a gc controller but $20 for an adapter is way too damn much why are you peeple so blind. those things should be $10 max
Uh, no? $20 is a good price. It's USB, so it can probably work on PC too. And it has 4 ports so you only need 1. The Mayflash at $15 is overpriced. Only 1 port and you need a Wiimote, which also means wireless delay. And people are still willing to buy it.

102229brp1.jpg

Lamestop has a pic up now.

I guess its too much to hope that the bundle would have been more than just the 3 items separate sold together. I might have been interested if they like came in a cool bundle box, maybe the controller was a different color, or something but I cant get interested in this at all.

I was interested at first but then I realized the wiiu gamepad will work great for this and that nostalgia was making me not think about spending my money, that and seeing others get nostalgic on forums made me want one to. But then like waking from a coma I said "Wait! I have a fucking wiiu gamepad it will work great Im not buying old ass technology for 40-50 bucks just for one damn game"

And why is this getting so much attention on cag? Its fucking MSRP, it isn't collectible, it isn't limited, its just 2 mass produced accessories put with a game that you will be able to find EVERYWHERE. Jesus Christ you people are pathetic excuses for cag members. This isn't a deal, at best it should just have been put into the general Nintendo wiiu discussion forum.

[quote name="soxxx" post="11853335" timestamp="1403183637"]The fact that a deal that is MSRP got 5 pages shows the hype is real for this game. Cant wait.[/quote]

It's not MSRP though. MSRP would be $109.97.

[quote name="soxxx" post="11853346" timestamp="1403184135"]Didnt Nintendo state in their E3 Direct that they would have a $100 bundle?[/quote]

Right, but it's a bundle that saves you money over buying them separately, aka a deal. The whole point of a bundle is to save a little bit by purchasing everything up front.

Not everyone has GCU? Seriously, this is good for CAG as the site makes money off of the referral. I guess we should take down the Destiny Bundle thread too?

Not everyone has GCU? Seriously, this is good for CAG as the site makes money off of the referral. I guess we should take down the Destiny Bundle thread too?
No, but that is something where you get a special edition of a $400, plus a $60 game. The special console holds more generic value than the $400 iteration sold on its own that's everywhere.

[quote name="Lil Frier" post="11853835" timestamp="1403195693"]Because if you buy them separately with GCU, you save $12 on the game. You can't use GCU on the bundle. $12 > $10, screw this.[/quote]

How do you know that GCU won't work? The bundle isn't even on Best Buy's site yet. Plus, AFAIK GCU has applied to game+controller bundles in the past, including Wii Party U. I can get it to appear on SiNG Party w/mic.

Also, it's $2 dude, nothing to grab your balls about. A $10 off deal is still a deal, even if there's also a $12 off one.

but its the msrp of said bundle...
...which is $10 cheaper than the combined MSRP of the game+controller+adapter, making it a deal. The only reason the bundle exists is to save you money.

How do you know that GCU won't work? The bundle isn't even on Best Buy's site yet. Plus, AFAIK GCU has applied to game+controller bundles in the past, including Wii Party U. I can get it to appear on SiNG Party w/mic. Also, it's $2 dude, nothing to grab your balls about. A $10 off deal is still a deal, even if there's also a $12 off one.
Because it makes no sense to spend an extra $2 on the exact same thing at the exact same store. Also, everyone else on here keeps saying that hardware cancels GCU, though I don't have experience with it to say it's true or not. We'll find out in about 5-6 months, but I wouldn't expect them to discount it to $80 with GCU.

Because it makes no sense to spend an extra $2 on the exact same thing at the exact same store. Also, everyone else on here keeps saying that hardware cancels GCU, though I don't have experience with it to say it's true or not. We'll find out in about 5-6 months, but I wouldn't expect them to discount it to $80 with GCU.
You see why I don't argue with these people anymore and for the most part don't even post in the threads I don't approve of? Pretty much everyone is going to justify what they want, for whatever reason they want, regardless of how logical it is. Heck, around half of the thread is just talking about GameCube controllers with maybe 10% (if that) are actually about the bundle. In the end, this is not a deal, it's MSRP. I don't see why Nintendo making an official bundle and charging $10 less than retail is considered a deal, yet I can guarantee there will be at least 3 people here that will defend it and the thread will stick around.

@ Deader2818

Please read the thread. After my first comment mentioning how I felt about the thread, it continued on as a topic about the GameCube controller. Up to Lil Frier's comment it was just 1 negative comment, so no, the thread would have remained on the first page regardless of bitching.

@ MetalSlugger

See, people like you and the flipper make me hate this site. I mean, how fucking semantic do you want to get? Can I consider preordering Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel from GameStop a deal too? It comes with the "shock drop slaughter pit," which if we look at Borderlands 2, is a savings of $4.99, so clearly this is a deal too, right? How about the Far Cry 4 season pass? Thats currently only $29.99 and includes something, though if we go off Watch Dogs, you're saving 25% buying that over everything separately. I mean, these are all bundle deals that involve buying something at MSRP, so naturally these are all deals too, right? :3

You know, if you all stopped bitching about it, this "not a deal" thread wouldn't even be on the first page and everyone would forget about it, lol.

[quote name="admiralvic" post="11854172" timestamp="1403200263"]You see why I don't argue with these people anymore and for the most part don't even post in the threads I don't approve of? Pretty much everyone is going to justify what they want, for whatever reason they want, regardless of how logical it is. Heck, around half of the thread is just talking about GameCube controllers with maybe 10% (if that) are actually about the bundle. In the end, this is not a deal, it's MSRP. I don't see why Nintendo making an official bundle and charging $10 less than retail is considered a deal, yet I can guarantee there will be at least 3 people here that will defend it and the thread will stick around. [/quote]

Because it saves you $10. Which is a deal. You can play MSRP semantics all you want, but at the end of the day the bundle is $10 less and has the exact same product.

If this was a GS exclusive bundle instead of a Nintendo SKU there wouldn't be any bitching about it.

That's true, and I don't care about the thread's existence. However, I can get the point of not needing this thread. It's MSRP and available at every retailer, it seems, so calling it a deal because it's a bundle is a bit excessive. Why don't we have threads for the Titanfall and Forza 5 Bone bundles floating around, when they allegedly save you $10?

That's true, and I don't care about the thread's existence. However, I can get the point of not needing this thread. It's MSRP and available at every retailer, it seems, so calling it a deal because it's a bundle is a bit excessive. Why don't we have threads for the Titanfall and Forza 5 Bone bundles floating around, when they allegedly save you $10?
We did lol.

Because it saves you $10. Which is a deal. You can play MSRP semantics all you want, but at the end of the day the bundle is $10 less and has the exact same product. If this was a GS exclusive bundle instead of a Nintendo SKU there wouldn't be any bitching about it.
So, we should go ahead and start a new thread for every single bundle any publisher or manufacturer puts out? I guess we should just do a new thread for every single possible variant of every video game related SKU that comes along because apparently the people on this site are now too lazy to look at any other news site or retailer website for items being sold at full MSRP. This bundle is full MSRP at Gamestop. It just happens to contain three items that if you bought them separately would go for $10 more. That doesn't change the fact that this bundle is MSRP and not a deal as that term is commonly understood on this site and elsewhere. But please, feel free to keep cluttering up the forum with more junk like this that makes it harder and harder to find actual deals for the rest of us.

So, we should go ahead and start a new thread for every single bundle any publisher or manufacturer puts out? I guess we should just do a new thread for every single possible variant of every video game related SKU that comes along because apparently the people on this site are now too lazy to look at any other news site or retailer website for items being sold at full MSRP. This bundle is full MSRP at Gamestop. It just happens to contain three items that if you bought them separately would go for $10 more. That doesn't change the fact that this bundle is MSRP and not a deal as that term is commonly understood on this site and elsewhere. But please, feel free to keep cluttering up the forum with more junk like this that makes it harder and harder to find actual deals for the rest of us.
CAG has been so much more pleasent since i put metalslugger on the ignore list. I suggest you do the same, but agreed this isnt a deal.

bread's done
Back