Gamestop - Trade in a system get bonus $20!

deadlykeyboard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just got back from my local GS, they had signs that they were about to put up stating that they would give a bonus $20 for trading in a system with one controller and all the cables.

They accept all systems except for GBA and GBA Micro, if I remember correctly.

[quote name='dg7md']I have a PS2 modem adapter wedged in the back of mine, I see those themselves go for quite a bit on eBay, so I took it off and well, there is a very wide open slot that it went in with no cover in sight. I imagine they won't take the system with that big slot missing, and I am not sure I want to trade-in the system with the network adapter and get nothing for it, anybody have any advice?[/quote]

They'll take it since when they were bundled together it didn't come with a cover.

This is still not enough to justify trading in your old systems. With a huge library of cheap games, those older systems are worth more than $60 each in my opinion. If you have a working PS2 or Gamecube, give it away as a gift to someone instead. Spread some gamer love!

Yeah seriously guys. These trade-in values for game systems are laughable. I understand that the trade two get $10 extra for games was a really good deal (for games with low trade in values) but for systems...I just don't see the value there even with the extra $20.

If any of you are seriously selling your PSPs/Wiis/360s/DSs for these TIV let me know because I'd rather buy them from you and give you cash for them.

Anyone know if they're still taking back the GameBoy Advance system? I still have a Glacier/purplish one sitting around...and a GameBoy Camera..hehe

[quote name='yuy104']Anyone know if they're still taking back the GameBoy Advance system? I still have a Glacier/purplish one sitting around...and a GameBoy Camera..hehe[/quote]

All but GBA, GBA Micro and Gamecube.

my friend traded in his slim ps2 & got $40 plus an extra $30 from a coupon GS has floating around plus the edge card towards his ps3

Edit: This promotion is nationwide just so if anybody wasn't for sure (there aren't really any signs up at the stores I've been to).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a huge size, but I found the Trade a System, get $30 extra coupon, with the Extra 50% Trade in Credit coupon. Both are valid until 8/31/08. Sorry for noob hosting abilities.

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2wy1zo0.jpg

Also, hasn't really been asked - but I have a Nintendo 64 with 3 controllers. How much would a console only fetch? I imagine not much, but the coupon / Edge should help a bit.

[quote name='msam']It's a huge size, but I found the Trade a System, get $30 extra coupon, with the Extra 50% Trade in Credit coupon. Both are valid until 8/31/08. Sorry for noob hosting abilities.

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2wy1zo0.jpg

Also, hasn't really been asked - but I have a Nintendo 64 with 3 controllers. How much would a console only fetch? I imagine not much, but the coupon / Edge should help a bit.[/quote]

Where did you get that coupon?

[quote name='DarkRider23']Where did you get that coupon?[/quote]

Looks like one of those GS coupon books they give out for select pre-orders sometimes. I am unsure if a printed out version of those will go over very well, but it's worth a shot if you have a ton of black ink to use.

But here's a much smaller/cropped version of that slip, probably closer to the size the original one was: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1292/picture2wy1zo0ir8.jpg

[quote name='DarkRider23']Where did you get that coupon?[/quote]

Don't remember, really. I think I may have been browsing some Gamestop threads here and stumbled upon it - it was on my desktop, so it must have been fairly recent, within a few weeks.

Guys, that $30 coupon hit CAG a month ago and was part of a HUGE thread. I can't believe you all missed it.

1. It only works if you have the WHOLE flyer the coupon is on. Believe me, I have one. If Gamestop accepts a print-out, you are damn lucky.

2. Either way, this coupon only works in Wisconsin, Michigan, maybe a couple of other Midwest states. I think they also had a version of it for Southern California.

This is a great deal IMO, depending on the system... If you were to sell a regular used slim ps2 on ebay with just the cables and 1 controller for $70 (if you're lucky) you'd only make roughly 63$ after ebay and paypal fees. AND you wouldn't have to deal with waiting for the auction to end, shipping out, non-paying bidders, waiting 3 days to transfer the money from paypal to your bank account, etc. With all the hassle it takes to sell on ebay (and the horrible new changes they've made lately) I'd gladly give up 3$.

I traded in a fat PS2 today, and there were no signs up about this promotion and no one made any mention of it when I was inquiring about the trade-in value and whatnot. However, at the last minute I brandished one of the coupons to add $30 to a system trade in (that I printed from the link above), and he took that without hesitation.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']I traded in a fat PS2 today, and there were no signs up about this promotion and no one made any mention of it when I was inquiring about the trade-in value and whatnot. However, at the last minute I brandished one of the coupons to add $30 to a system trade in (that I printed from the link above), and he took that without hesitation.[/quote]

Where is this Gamestop located at?

I am thinking about selling my Xbox 360 (if they honor the coupon which my local one has for every coupon thus far so here is to hoping), plus the 7 games I have with the other 50% added credit. I live in Ohio which is one of the midwest states so we shall see.

[quote name='bond0007']So is this deal currently going on.[/quote]

Saw the sign myself at my local GameStop. It was hanging from the ceiling and was quite easy to miss.

Does anyone know when this deal ends? I wanna finish MGS3 before I sell my ps2 and put the money towards a PS3.

gamestop.com says the deal is going on thru 8/10...same as the trade in 5 get 30% bonus credit deal

Anyone considering getting rid of their working Xbox systems during this promo should definitely consider selling them on here instead, since you can get more than the meager $40 they're offering with bonus for them.

I actually know someone who may be in the market for an XBox, so if any of you considering selling one to Gamestop wanna hit me up via PM's with a price shipped for it(has to be unopened and well taken care of with all wires and at least one controller), lemme know...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Anyone considering getting rid of their working Xbox systems during this promo should definitely consider selling them on here instead, since you can get more than the meager $40 they're offering with bonus for them.

I actually know someone who may be in the market for an XBox, so if any of you considering selling one to Gamestop wanna hit me up via PM's with a price shipped for it(has to be unopened and well taken care of with all wires and at least one controller), lemme know...[/QUOTE]

Anyone considering selling thier xbox on here should remember that there are a lot of drawbacks, such as the fact that many people would expect you to send your item out first, which is risky to say the least. Of course, if you're the type to feel personally insulted by an offer to buy your old stuff, I guess that might be worth it to you.

There's nothing wrong with taking less money than you 'could' make because it is more convenient to sell something to gamestop, it's just choosing to make a tradeoff of money for time. I'm thinking of trading a bunch of stuff in to gamestop just because nobody on here seems to want it. It's easier to just be rid of it than wait forever to find a buyer/trader on CAG.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Anyone considering selling thier xbox on here should remember that there are a lot of drawbacks, such as the fact that many people would expect you to send your item out first, which is risky to say the least. Of course, if you're the type to feel personally insulted by an offer to buy your old stuff, I guess that might be worth it to you.

There's nothing wrong with taking less money than you 'could' make because it is more convenient to sell something to gamestop, it's just choosing to make a tradeoff of money for time. I'm thinking of trading a bunch of stuff in to gamestop just because nobody on here seems to want it. It's easier to just be rid of it than wait forever to find a buyer/trader on CAG.[/quote]

While it may be more convenient, I'm glad I waited when I did earlier this year, since a CAG came through and made me an offer for all of my older games that trumped the offer I received from even the local shop guy who said he would 'offer more than Gamestop'. The offer I got from on here was 100% more than I was offered by the local game shop and I'm still thankful for Nemesis98 coming through when he did.

I traded in my old xbox and ended up getting 46$ with the 20$ extra promotion. It was just collecting dust anyway. I would never trade in either of my PS2 (slim and fat) because one, my fat PS2 is the one I got launch day and the slim PS2 just looks so cool.

I got charged a $15 refurb fee for my PS2 fat. I didn't say anything because it was in pretty lousy shape and was happy they took it. It was missing the front CD drive cover and the back network adapter cover.

BTW it was in full working order.

Interesting....I gave my brother a fat PS2 years ago, and I don't think he uses it anymore. Maybe I will get it back and get $20 more (or maybe $30!).

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I got charged a $15 refurb fee for my PS2 fat. I didn't say anything because it was in pretty lousy shape and was happy they took it. It was missing the front CD drive cover and the back network adapter cover.

BTW it was in full working order.[/quote]

So how much did you get? My PS2 Fat is exactly like that and if I can trade it in, oh god.

Edit: I might not be able to trade it in. I don't have a controller for it and my Warranty sticker is missing. The Playstation 2 works perfectly though, Ive been running it non-stop since 2004.

[quote name='svt1029']so does the gba sp work with this or nope[/quote]

Yeah it does. I traded in my sister's GBA SP tonight because she already had a DS Lite and it was just sitting around collecting dust. It ended being $40 back ($20 TIV + $20 bonus). I ended up turning that around and getting a Cobalt DS Lite with the bonus and credit from flipping some games and was lucky enough to find a used copy of Final Fantasy IV which I used the 10% off coupon on.

[quote name='Chucki Norris']Yeah it does. I traded in my sister's GBA SP tonight because she already had a DS Lite and it was just sitting around collecting dust. It ended being $40 back ($20 TIV + $20 bonus). I ended up turning that around and getting a Cobalt DS Lite with the bonus and credit from flipping some games and was lucky enough to find a used copy of Final Fantasy IV which I used the 10% off coupon on.[/quote]

Whoa... my sister has a DS Lite also, and a GBA SP lying around. I'm doing this tomorrow, then. Yet another step closer to that PS3. ^_^

[quote name='ParticleReality']So how much did you get? My PS2 Fat is exactly like that and if I can trade it in, oh god.

Edit: I might not be able to trade it in. I don't have a controller for it and my Warranty sticker is missing. The Playstation 2 works perfectly though, Ive been running it non-stop since 2004.[/quote]

It's strictly YMMV on whether or not they'll take a console that's missing it's warranty sticker or not. But, I know from experience that they took 2-3 shittastic(scratching discs, wouldn't read, broken memory card ports) PS2's from me and all were sans sticker.

Of course, what do you expect when I was buying them for $10, finding some cheap controller and wires to go with them and waiting for the trade deals.

Couple this with the time I traded in a fourth PS2 I got cheap to them, with some super cheap games I got from Kmart or Sears for $1-3 each when they had the 'trade a PS2 and 2-3 games and get $100 credit' deal WAYYYYY back.

Yes, I take advantage of the system, but judging from the condition of some of the garbage they try to pass off as 'fully tested' and working systems, I don't feel so bad.

Where do you guys think I would make more money? EBay or this deal?

I have a Slim PS2 complete with box, 4 1st party Sony controllers total, a 1st party DVD Remote, 1st party multi-tap, and both Guitar Hero 1 and 2 complete with box, game and guitar.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's strictly YMMV on whether or not they'll take a console that's missing it's warranty sticker or not. But, I know from experience that they took 2-3 shittastic(scratching discs, wouldn't read, broken memory card ports) PS2's from me and all were sans sticker.

Of course, what do you expect when I was buying them for $10, finding some cheap controller and wires to go with them and waiting for the trade deals.

Couple this with the time I traded in a fourth PS2 I got cheap to them, with some super cheap games I got from Kmart or Sears for $1-3 each when they had the 'trade a PS2 and 2-3 games and get $100 credit' deal WAYYYYY back.

Yes, I take advantage of the system, but judging from the condition of some of the garbage they try to pass off as 'fully tested' and working systems, I don't feel so bad.[/quote]

So you sell them grabage, and then complain that they sell garbage?

any idea where i can get a cheap charger for the gba sp cause i need one to trade mine in correct? i was just gonna buy one from eb buy there 10 dollars which seems over priced

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I thought about trading in my DS Lite. I never play the damn thing.[/quote]

same-does it trade for 60$ flat without bonuses?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's strictly YMMV on whether or not they'll take a console that's missing it's warranty sticker or not. But, I know from experience that they took 2-3 shittastic(scratching discs, wouldn't read, broken memory card ports) PS2's from me and all were sans sticker.

Yes, I take advantage of the system, but judging from the condition of some of the garbage they try to pass off as 'fully tested' and working systems, I don't feel so bad.[/quote]

you have some moral issues trading in your broken crap. no offense but i would hate to be the person on the receiving end wasting gas just because of your indecency.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Wondering the same.[/quote]

Just called in, confirmed @ 60$ here in Texas

What the fuck is up with EB not telling you trade-in prices over the fucking phone?

Anyone know what a complete PS2 GH1 and GH2 bundle would bring in?

[quote name='Distrato']So you sell them grabage, and then complain that they sell garbage?[/quote]

[quote name='dmonk']you have some moral issues trading in your broken crap. no offense but i would hate to be the person on the receiving end wasting gas just because of your indecency.[/quote]

Well, I'm obviously not the only one doing it, since I myself was on the receiving end of at least one shoddy system. So, I just returned the favor.

I do feel bad about it, but quite frankly with Gamestop's lovely TIV's, this kind of makes up for them just a little bit. They sell garbage condition stuff to begin with, so what's a couple more items that're junk? It may not be right, but I know I'm not the ONLY one doing it. I haven't done it recently though, but that's only because there hasn't been a promo that's been worth it AND most of my local shops no longer sell the used systems for $10-20 each.

Oh and Happy Panda, they do that to get you to bring the stuff into the store, so you'll be more likely to trade the stuff in rather than lug it home.

bread's done
Back