Gamestop - Trade in a system get bonus $20!

deadlykeyboard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just got back from my local GS, they had signs that they were about to put up stating that they would give a bonus $20 for trading in a system with one controller and all the cables.

They accept all systems except for GBA and GBA Micro, if I remember correctly.

So, I'm going to want that new PSP-3000 they just announced on Kotaku. So, do I go ahead and trade in my PSP-Slim right now and take advantage of the 20$ extra or wait 'till they have one of those "trade in your old PSP and get the new version for BLANK?" Will they even have one of those deals? The new psp will be 170$.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extra 360 that I don't want and want a portable system to play around with while sitting and doing the dialysis thing. Do you need to have the av cables or will an hdmi cable work?

[quote name='kingchaos']I have an extra 360 that I don't want and want a portable system to play around with while sitting and doing the dialysis thing. Do you need to have the av cables or will an hdmi cable work?[/quote]

You probably need the av cable, since they'll probably be looking for "the wire with the colors"

[quote name='Link927']You probably need the av cable, since they'll probably be looking for "the wire with the colors"[/quote]

Thanks for the fast reply.

[quote name='jalopez86']So, I'm going to want that new PSP-3000 they just announced on Kotaku. So, do I go ahead and trade in my PSP-Slim right now and take advantage of the 20$ extra or wait 'till they have one of those "trade in your old PSP and get the new version for BLANK?" Will they even have one of those deals? The new psp will be 170$.[/quote]

I'd wait to see the new unit and how good the new screen actually is and if there are any trade offs (like worse battery life). Specs wise, outside the screen, there isn't much difference between the two...built in mic...big whoop

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/20/psp-3000-also-coming-to-north-america-this-fall/

According to Joystiq, the PSP-3000 will only be available in $200 bundle packages....at least at the beginning, which makes sense since this lets them clear out the stand alone PSP-2000s in retail channels in a more orderly fashion....when the PSP-2000s came out there were tons of daxter bundle version but the stand alone versions took a few months to roll out to retail, which gave enough time to move the PSP-1000s out the doors of retailers.

I sold my slim PS2 and only got $35 bumped up to $55 yesterday? I was under the impression from this thread that it was $55 base, $75 after bonus...guess I should have known that was too good for gamestop.

It's still more than I bought it for 3 years ago, and i've got an 80GB with BC now, so it's okay, but was I mistaken in reading that?

traded in a fat ps2 with a 2 original controllers and a memory card, used that 30 dollar coupon no problem and got $75 for the lot. decent return i suppose.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']How much does a DS Lite net trading it in regularly (IE before the $20 bonus).[/quote]
:ds:DS Lite: $60
:ds: DS Phat: $20
:gba: GBA SP: $20
:ps2: Fat PS2: $35
:ps2: Slim PS2: $40
:xbox: Xbox: $26 / $30
:360: 360 core: $80-$120

[quote name='jer7583']It's still more than I bought it for 3 years ago, and i've got an 80GB with BC now, so it's okay, but was I mistaken in reading that?[/quote]

Yeah, it trades in at $55 with bonus. Gotta keep in mind that they sell the thing for around $80. If they bought it from you for $75, they'd make a $5 profit if they sell it.

EDIT: Actually, you said slim. The slim should go for a little bit more, if I remember correctly. $5-10. That seems odd.

[quote name='sum41rcks1']Could I trade in a GBA SP with a charging dock instead of the official charger?[/quote]

Ask your local Gamestop. It's likely YMMV depending on the clerk.

I just traded in my fat PS2 today and got $60 for it with the $30 extra trade in credit coupon. I also used the 25% off used PS3 coupon that came out today to get resistance, assassin's creed, and warhawk with the store credit. Not a bad deal.

hey guys i REALLY need some help!

few questions...

1 - this is probably easy but, u obviously dont need the box the system came in, right?

2 - does trading in more or less controllers affect the amount of credit given back to you?

3 - do they test the systems on the spot? i was thinking of trading ps2's that don't work :) they say nothing about it being functional.... (just wondering dont shoot me!)

thanks guys!!!

[quote name='yesitsreallyjosh']hey guys i REALLY need some help!

few questions...

1 - this is probably easy but, u obviously dont need the box the system came in, right?

2 - does trading in more or less controllers affect the amount of credit given back to you?

3 - do they test the systems on the spot? i was thinking of trading ps2's that don't work :) they say nothing about it being functional.... (just wondering dont shoot me!)

thanks guys!!![/quote]

1 - No box needed just the accessories that came with it

2 - Just need one controller

3 - Yes they definitely will test the system with a game on the spot.

[quote name='Bad']

3 - Yes they definitely will test the system with a game on the spot.[/quote]

Dunno what Gamestop you seem to be going to, but I've never in my life had a console I've traded in to them tested.

[quote name='Megaten']Dunno what Gamestop you seem to be going to, but I've never in my life had a console I've traded in to them tested.[/quote]

They're supposed to be tested and the vast majority of Gamestops use the TVs on their counters to test the systems as they come in.

[quote name='GuardianE']They're supposed to be tested and the vast majority of Gamestops use the TVs on their counters to test the systems as they come in.[/quote]

There are no tvs for play at my gamestop. I've never traded in a system, but they always tell people that they'll test them, but I see quick 3 minuete transactions all the time w/o a test.

[quote name='jalopez86']So, I'm going to want that new PSP-3000 they just announced on Kotaku. So, do I go ahead and trade in my PSP-Slim right now and take advantage of the 20$ extra or wait 'till they have one of those "trade in your old PSP and get the new version for BLANK?" Will they even have one of those deals? The new psp will be 170$.[/quote]
Seeing as the PSP-slim trades in for $90 normally (at least right now) and you get an extra $20 this month, I'd trade it in now because I doubt whatever deal they have when the new one comes out will be that good. I've been thinking about doing it myself.

Always remember to bring a full jar of vaseline when you go to gamestop to trade anything.

Try ebay first. You'd be surprised at what people will pay you.

[quote name='yesitsreallyjosh']hey guys i REALLY need some help!

few questions...

thanks guys!!![/quote]

1- You don't need the box, since they'll just put the system in their own blah black & white Gamestop box anyway.

2- If you want to, you CAN trade in other controllers to them when getting rid of the system(s). However, if they're Sony brand you'll get $5 extra per controller. If they're off brand, like Mad Catz or Interact(a great former third party controller manufacturer), then you'll get $2 each.

3- The bottom of the coupon that I used said that the PS2 had to be in 'full working condition', but unless they test them, they won't know for sure. Best bet if you want to try and sneak in under the radar is to go in on a weekend during the daytime. For the $20 bonus coupon, you have until 8/31(which is a Sunday), so go on the 30th at like 2-3 pm when all the mommies and daddies are bringing their kids in to look around the store.

The one I just traded in had an RF switch, a third party replacement power cord(universal one) and originally had an Interact controller that worked on 90-95% of PS1 and PS2 games flawlessly. However, I took in a Dual Shock 2 that I paid $5 for at a thrift store and cleaned up which worked perfectly, as I had been told prior that they wouldn't take the system without an 'official Sony controller'.

It's YMMV on whether or not they'll nitpick like that, since they even said I needed to have a composite cable to trade it in, but another store took it in no problem.

What's the problem(s) with your PS2's though? If it's just a disc read error, look on YouTube, since they have some good videos to show how to clean the lens and get the DRE to disappear. If it's just that they won't even power on, it may be a bad battery on the motherboard or something cheap like that, which requires ALOT more work to take apart, but is doable and the battery costs like $3-4 tops.

Just remember that if you open the system, to do it slowly and put the warranty seal someplace where you can easily peel it back off and restick it, since they don't take systems without it.

Bump - I saw this is still going on until Nov on the Gamestop website. Anyone know what the going rates are for an original PSP, GBASP or a Gamecube currently. I called the store, but they said they couldn't give amounts over the phone......

:roll:

Bump - I saw this is still going on until Nov on the Gamestop website. Anyone know what the going rates are for an original PSP, GBASP or a Gamecube currently. I called the store, but they said they couldn't give amounts over the phone......

:roll:

bread's done
Back