Gamestop - Trade in a system get bonus $20!

deadlykeyboard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just got back from my local GS, they had signs that they were about to put up stating that they would give a bonus $20 for trading in a system with one controller and all the cables.

They accept all systems except for GBA and GBA Micro, if I remember correctly.

Fat DS is base of $20 if I am not mistaken. Traded in my old GBA SP for $40 and used $10 of my flipping credit to get a newer bright one.

[quote name='doubledown']What does the FAT PS2 trade for? I'm trading mine tomorrow. Anyone get the $30 coupon that was floating around to work?[/quote]

Fat PS2 is $35.

So I asked about some of the hand-held trade-in values today.

First Gamestop told me, $15-$20 base trade value for a GBA SP, depending on condition. This Gamestop also told me, $30-$40 base for a DS phat.

The second Gamestop I was at told me $60 base for a DS Lite, half that if it's broken. But the bonus $20 will still apply if it's broken.

Neither of them looked anything up when telling me these prices.
Can anyone else share quotes they've gotten? Maybe add them to the OP? Thanks!

Not sure how much Gamestop is buying the DS's for, but I'll buy one of the fat or lite ones from one of you guys if they are giving back little money for one.

[quote name='Aleins4u']Not sure how much Gamestop is buying the DS's for, but I'll buy one of the fat or lite ones from one of you guys if they are giving back little money for one.[/quote]

I've got one, but it's kinda broken.

[quote name='jacknicklson']So this is like them sticking in 1 finger instead of 2?[/QUOTE]

Thats funny man. lol

I traded my FAT PS2 today. I got $65 for it with the bonus $30 coupon that was floating around in this thread. Not too bad. They also give $4 for an extra PS2 controller. I had no need for it, so it is gone. Not bad....nearly $70 for something that was collecting dust. I used it to pay off my Madden CE with money left over. yeah!

Ive been tempted about seeling my Cube or my Slim PS2...but this is still a hard decision. I got a backwards-compatable Wii and PS3 so I should be good. I really need to see on this. Is this deal gone yet? Any idea when its going away?

I just tried to trade in my GBA SP and they would not take it. Apparently it used to have a sticker with a serial number on the back which is gone now.

Funny thing is that I don't remember removing it.

Oh well no credit for me this time :(

How much is a 360 with wireless controller but no hdd go for?

looking to pay the difference to get a arcade version next month

[quote name='supaet']How much is a 360 with wireless controller but no hdd go for?

looking to pay the difference to get a arcade version next month[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='yourlefthand']My ps2 has the warranty seal broken. Would they still take it as a trade-in?[/quote]

Yes, but it probably wouldn't qualify for the promotion and there would be a refurb fee.

Had multiple systems to trade in from recent yard sale scores. 3 GBA SPs, 1 DS Phat, and 1 PS2. Disappointed to say that the DS when for the same price as the SPs. 20 + 20. Would only accept one SP at each store. Could still trade it in, but would only receive $20 each for the 2nd and 3rd one. So, decided to drive a couple of miles to get rid of another SP. Same story, could ony take one. Didn't have time to drive the 1/4 mile to the next Game Stop. Will do it tomorrow after work.

Would not take the PS2 because the controller cord was frayed. Had elecrical tape over it, but they caught it. My fault for bringing it in. Have plenty of others to attach. After trading in PS2 and last SP tomorrow will have enough to get a white DS Lite and Mario Kart with a little credit left over.

damn, do they always look at the warranty stickers? Are they trained to check this?

I peeled mine off my Xbox to clean the inside out with compressed air. It hasn't been modded or anything. Is there any chance they will take it?

[quote name='yourlefthand']My ps2 has the warranty seal broken. Would they still take it as a trade-in?[/quote]

It all depends on IF they notice it or not, as I've traded in a couple PS2's with a missing sticker. If they know what IS or isn't supposed to be there, then they may call you on it. If that happens, you could just say that the sticker 'fell off' due to the age of the system.

Of course, if you removed it yourself and the back of the system still says 'void void void' where the sticker was, then be prepared to explain that as well. That's when a little Goo Gone comes in REALLY handy, since it takes that leftover sticker gunk right off.

Last week they told me over the phone that if it's a 20GB Premium with a Wired controller, it's $80. With Wireless it's $100. The hard drive is treated as a seperate accessory and would net me around $15 for the 20gb drive.

I brought my Xbox360 Premium (20GB) in last week. I got $130 in store credit for bringing in the console and one game ($4 store credit for the game).

As a note, I brought back the console back in excellent condition. Box and all the docs for the Premium were there, even the bags for the cables. One of the employees said, "Oh! That one's mine!". I guess the majority brings their consoles back in not-so-great condition or not complete? :(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It all depends on IF they notice it or not, as I've traded in a couple PS2's with a missing sticker. If they know what IS or isn't supposed to be there, then they may call you on it. If that happens, you could just say that the sticker 'fell off' due to the age of the system.

Of course, if you removed it yourself and the back of the system still says 'void void void' where the sticker was, then be prepared to explain that as well. That's when a little Goo Gone comes in REALLY handy, since it takes that leftover sticker gunk right off.[/quote]

My brother, about a week or two ago, traded in his 360 (got around $86 cash for it, can't remember how much credit he would of got for it though. He wanted a "good time." Stupid choice). Anyways, I "modified" it and so I had to take of the sticker underneath the faceplate. Usually I would take a hairdryer to it (with mine, I did it flawlessly, sticker still looks perfect and is intact), but I didn't and so it actually had no sticker. Well, what they did was just plugged it in and tested it to see if it would work. I was just standing there thinking, "Is that 360 gonna RROD now?" It was known to overheat on occasions. All in all,wasn't bad, just depends on who you get as the employee. Someone is gonna get a nice 360...

On a side note, I'm thinking of trading in my lite, don't want to go through the hassle of boxing it up and selling it on ebay (too lazy) along with FFIII and some other games. Then all that money will go towards reservation of WAR and Socom.

Here's a summary of prices in the thread... so you don't have to go hunting around like I did.

All TIVs listed without any bonus.

:ds: DS Lite: $60
:ds: DS Phat: $20
:gba: GBA SP: $20
:ps2: Fat PS2: $35
:ps2: Slim PS2: $40
:xbox: Xbox: $26 / $30
:360: 360 core: $80-$120

Notes
The Edge does not work Systems

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! So that's 40, then 20 bonus, then add 20 more for the Madden 40% coupon + 10% Edge = 80 dollars. I can buy another PS2 later on this winter. This 80 could help me right now.

Traded mine in...didn't want the hassle of selling it/shipping it out...and didn't want to worry about it breaking on someone the day after I shipped it out ;)

Xbox 360 w/ wireless controller: $120 (includes the additional $20 until the 10th)
20 GB hard drive: $15
Xbox remote: $4
Play and charge cable: $2
Rechargeable battery: $4
Wired headset: $4
Extra wired controller: $10

The Edge card tacks on an extra 10% on the accessories.

edge card doesnt count for systems. only games and accessories.

Also "Thanks! So that's 40, then 20 bonus, then add 20 more for the Madden 40% coupon + 10% Edge = 80 dollars. I can buy another PS2 later on this winter. This 80 could help me right now."

You gotta pick one or the other. Unless the employee is that stupid, you will not get both discounts.

[quote name='sum41rcks1']edge card doesnt count for systems. only games and accessories.

Also "Thanks! So that's 40, then 20 bonus, then add 20 more for the Madden 40% coupon + 10% Edge = 80 dollars. I can buy another PS2 later on this winter. This 80 could help me right now."

You gotta pick one or the other. Unless the employee is that stupid, you will not get both discounts.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, thanks. I'm so dumb, I worked there last year. I should have known that! :) Thanks again!

Depends on your local gamestop though, like at mine there's one stupid one, but everytime she is there, the manager is there.

A-holes at My Gamestop only gave me $10 for my Xbox. The warranty sticker had been peeled off on the bottom. I did it when I cleaned the system out a while back. I put the sticker back on but the guy seemed to notice. I thought I would at least get the $20 bonus for it..so $30 total, but NOPE! He just gave me the standard $20 - $10 refurb fee = $10. Should I have gotten the bonus or did I get ripped off?

[quote name='Capitalizt']A-holes at My Gamestop only gave me $10 for my Xbox. The warranty sticker had been peeled off on the bottom. I did it when I cleaned the system out a while back. I put the sticker back on but the guy seemed to notice. I thought I would at least get the $20 bonus for it..so $30 total, but NOPE! He just gave me the standard $20 - $10 refurb fee = $10. Should I have gotten the bonus or did I get ripped off?[/quote]

I would say you got ripped, but then again, if I'm not mistaken, warranty stickers are required to be on (part of their policy). He might of deducted money off because it was missing the sticker. If I were you, I would go back to the store later tonight (seeing that there might be a different, more knowledgeable person there) and telling him what happened (I would also bring in a printout of the GS website that says $20 bonus trade-in for consoles).

Will they take a DS Lite without a charger or do I have to buy one?

...Edit-Nope they wont. Dang.

I got a full $30 for a broken Xbox. You should still get the promotion, if your receipt cites refurbishing fees.

Brought in a semi-broken ps2 I've been meaning to sell on ebay for parts and got the full $60 credit for it at gamestop (i accidentally pulled off the connector to the fan when i was replacing its laser). Console was missing warranty sticker, the square tiles on the bottom, and the screws weren't the stock screws that the original had. Pretty obvious it had been opened - but you can always count on gamestop employee incompetence.

Best part? I learned today that when you use credit, taxes don't apply. NICE.

[quote name='applesplz']does anyone know if you need the original box the system cam in as well?
Thanks in Adavance[/quote]
No you don't need the box.

[quote name='Capitalizt']A-holes at My Gamestop only gave me $10 for my Xbox. The warranty sticker had been peeled off on the bottom. I did it when I cleaned the system out a while back. I put the sticker back on but the guy seemed to notice. I thought I would at least get the $20 bonus for it..so $30 total, but NOPE! He just gave me the standard $20 - $10 refurb fee = $10. Should I have gotten the bonus or did I get ripped off?[/quote]

Why did you still trade it in after getting only $10? You practically gave you system away.

Does anybody know when this deal ends. I just got my PS3 and I'm pretty impressed with the backwards compatibility, so far. I'm finally ready to let go of my fatty PS2.

Be careful. Some games have problems with BC. Though getting rid of the fat one is a good idea. Slim is far superior.

[quote name='daminion']

:ds: DS Lite: $60
:ds: DS Phat: $20
:gba: GBA SP: $20
:ps2: Fat PS2: $35
:ps2: Slim PS2: $40
:xbox: Xbox: $26 / $30
:360: 360 core: $80-$120

[/quote]

Anyone know what a PSP (non-slim) goes for?

bread's done
Back