GameStop Trade & Promos XXVII: Values available on the website and on Android/iOS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
WELCOME TO THE NEW GAMESTOP TRADE-IN THREAD.

The new thread format will be a work in progress but this first post will be the promos that are active and useful information, but also wikified. The second post will currently be frequently asked questions but may move it into the first post. Post three will be historical trade-in values from before the list.

Trade-in Values Available at: http://www.gamestop.com/trade

Also on GameStop app on iOS and Android

Upcoming Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Guaranteed $30/$40 on select games (Varying End Dates)

GameStop.com said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded in $200 worth of games for store credit using the division coupon. These were games just sitting in the backlog that I probably wouldn't get to for some time. Will buy back some of them eventually once I make some headway on this ridiculous backlog. I didn't figure you could trade in multiple games in one transaction with the coupon until reading this forum. Thanks guys !

The dude went ragging to cs and now has the attention of loss prevention, which will be worse than the 90 day ban he would have been looking at. My guess is while he was flipping games from one store to the next, he caught the eye of a suspicious employee.

Nick, you have a 90 day ban for being a dumbass :) 7 cables? Come on, man.
It's what I get for letting a friend use my account to get the boost and I get the points. I knew he had 3 controllers but 7 cables? Geeze.

Tried to use a $50 cert on Division and Siege with 50% bonus trade coupon yesterday. Too many promotions maybe because the full value of the cert would not apply to Division. I had a $15 one so I used that instead- brought Division down to 44.99.

Tried to do a small trade in today only to have the computer tell me I have "exceeded trade in limit". This is my first time getting any kind of trade ban (or even warning message) from GS so I am wondering what the trigger was and if they started tightening trade in restrictions. I did trade a decent amount of stuff (guessing maybe $600-700 through multiple trades) during the last good trade window on 3/19-3/20 and I may have sold back a few B2G1 or 4/$20 titles to a different store either the same day or the following day, but this is all stuff I have had no problem with doing in the past. I am generally very careful to "walk the line" and do not believe I have ever traded more than 3-4 of a game in a 30 day window. Heck, I even got in on almost $2K worth if trades/flips last summer without any issues. I haven't even done any trade ins since 3/20 so I have no idea when the "ban" went into effect.

I called CS and of course they are fucking worthless at giving you any idea of what the issue is. All they could tell me was that they would have their LP people look at it and that I "might" hear something from them in terms of questions for me, or removing the ban. They also mentioned that the max time of not being able to trade stuff would be 90 days but that doesn't necessarily mean that is what is on my account or if that is how long I would have to wait to trade again.

Has anyone ever had a shorter ban (like 30 or 60 days?) and what can I expect to hear (if anything) from LP?
The threshold was somewhere between $1.5K - $2K within 30 days. Although you made trades within 30 days (3/20), those law few days either got you over the threshold, a junior detective escalated it, they lowered the threshold, or the 4 copies may have caused it. If you tallied everything using the mobile site correctly, then it couldn't have been the first reason. You sound like you're pretty careful to be discreet so I'm not sure if it's even the second reason. That means it may have been the lowering of a threshold or even trading in 4 copies of the same item. I know people say never to trade 5 copies so 4 should be safe but I do recall people mentioning 4 copies can get you flagged too. Your story does make me wonder if they did lower the threshold. If so, that's a big drop. I'd be suprised if they lowered it down to $700 at the same time.

I dunno if this is the right thread, but when I went to trade recently, they told me I had "exceeded the trade limit." I called corporate, and they didn't even know what that meant. Anyone have any idea when I'll be able to trade again?

If you are hit with the ban hammer, just take your lumps and don't pester corporate. It seems that, at best, it gets you nowhere because they are clueless. At worst, you escalate the situation and manage to get hit with a ban sledge-o-matic.

It's also why, with the exception of one store that charges a refurb fee for every disk-only trade because they, "don't have time to make cases," I try to be extremely nice to the employees and not arouse suspicion by trading multiples of the same game in one transaction. That shitty store only gets my business for pre-order promos I plan on canceling, so I don't have to hurt the staff at the better stores in the district.

I dunno if this is the right thread, but when I went to trade recently, they told me I had "exceeded the trade limit." I called corporate, and they didn't even know what that meant. Anyone have any idea when I'll be able to trade again?

More than likely it is 90 days. That's what the timeframe was for most of us that have received that message.

If you are hit with the ban hammer, just take your lumps and don't pester corporate. It seems that, at best, it gets you nowhere because they are clueless. At worst, you escalate the situation and manage to get hit with a ban sledge-o-matic.

It's also why, with the exception of one store that charges a refurb fee for every disk-only trade because they, "don't have time to make cases," I try to be extremely nice to the employees and not arouse suspicion by trading multiples of the same game in one transaction. That shitty store only gets my business for pre-order promos I plan on canceling, so I don't have to hurt the staff at the better stores in the district.
I seem to recall gamestop promoting the fact that you didn't need to trade in cases with your games to get the same value. I googled gamestop's trade in policy and found tons of stories from 2014 talking about how they were going to nix trade in promos and raise the tivs of games across the board.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Haha, found this

I seem to recall gamestop promoting the fact that you didn't need to trade in cases with your games to get the same value. I googled gamestop's trade in policy and found tons of stories from 2014 talking about how they were going to nix trade in promos and raise the tivs of games across the board.

its on the trade value for every game

"Don’t have the box? Not a problem! GameStop offers the same trade price even without the box."

They did stop the promos and raised the bases for a while, but trade ins went down so they brought back the promos. that was part of the big flip fest last summer because the base values were higher but there was also a 50% trade bonus.

its on the trade value for every game

"Don’t have the box? Not a problem! GameStop offers the same trade price even without the box."

They did stop the promos and raised the bases for a while, but trade ins went down so they brought back the promos. that was part of the big flip fest last summer because the base values were higher but there was also a 50% trade bonus.
Yup, there it is.

And as for the promos I know and remember it well. I just found it funny how much media attention was paid to it. I don't remember any stories about it reverting back.

That's what my former manager told us to do. His reasoning is that in the time it takes us to print cover art+ ink and paper costs the value isn't worth it. I don't agree all the time but still.
Had to see if that guy is from DFW because that sounds like the same logic as the store I referred to.

I could actually get behind a refurb fee if they reprinted genuine cover art and supplied cases, but trying to tell me it costs $3 or $4 in ink + paper to make a standard insert is laughable.

So I went in today to trade a couple games towards the extra $10 for 2 X1/PS4 games.  All my games are played by me only and I take good care of my games. I had a junior detective that rang my games up and I noticed a $4 refurb fee.  I questioned him on the $4 refurb fee since he didn't mention it to me after he told me how much I was going to get.  He said the PS4 game I was trading in was scratched and they would have to refurbish it.  Now I know that was a lie because they were all pristine and I asked him where the scratch was.  He handed me the disc and said it was by the inner ring and once blu ray discs are scratched, they are done for..  Can anybody help me find this scratch on my disc?  I still couldn't see it after he pointed to some fingerprint area. I think I want to burn his ass on a survey.

[attachment=21457:wheres the scratch.jpg]

So I went in today to trade a couple games towards the extra $10 for 2 X1/PS4 games. All my games are played by me only and I take good care of my games. I had a junior detective that rang my games up and I noticed a $4 refurb fee. I questioned him on the $4 refurb fee since he didn't mention it to me after he told me how much I was going to get. He said the PS4 game I was trading in was scratched and they would have to refurbish it. Now I know that was a lie because they were all pristine and I asked him where the scratch was. He handed me the disc and said it was by the inner ring and once blu ray discs are scratched, they are done for.. Can anybody help me find this scratch on my disc? I still couldn't see it after he pointed to some fingerprint area. I think I want to burn his ass on a survey.
yeah I had something like that happen to me as well. just burn his ass on the survey.

Had to see if that guy is from DFW because that sounds like the same logic as the store I referred to.

I could actually get behind a refurb fee if they reprinted genuine cover art and supplied cases, but trying to tell me it costs $3 or $4 in ink + paper to make a standard insert is laughable.
Ritchardf quoted their terms. I would honestly bring it up and make a stink about it. Probably nothing will come from it since there is fine print about all trades being at manager descretion. Still doesn't seem right.

Also I'm pretty surprised so many people have refurbs snuck on them. I have never had that happen.

Ritchardf quoted their terms. I would honestly bring it up and make a stink about it. Probably nothing will come from it since there is fine print about all trades being at manager descretion. Still doesn't seem right.

Also I'm pretty surprised so many people have refurbs snuck on them. I have never had that happen.
Ideally, the advertised company policy should supersede the manager's discretion. If anyone tried pulling that shit with me, I'd walk out and then burn them on a survey, since you don't need to even buy anything to do surveys now.

Would I have to remove the Redbox sticker or do gamestop employees usually not care?
It seems like they generally do not care, but it's always possible to get a jr. detective. I've never had an issue, but I usually try to bring in some games with cases so I'm not just walking in with a stack of Redbox discs.

A certain pickle suggested burning them on the survey/calling corporate, which is what I'll do the next time it happens. I just haven't been back to that store. I will calculate exactly what I should be getting so I know immediately if there are any shenanigans.

I suppose most people don't give a shit, because I have never had an employee tell me they are charging the fee, they just add it and move on.

You also don't need a receipt to use tell Gamestop.com anymore and write a comment. They changed the website. Just use the prompts and find the store and store #. Once you're there you fill out the survey. No receipt needed. One of the gs managers mentioned this to me the other day.

I don't bother with redox flips because the stores near me ask for a receipt from redox and charge refurb.

That and the hassle of getting paper discs or no disc makes it not worth the time. I don't even like having disc only games to play either.

He handed me the disc and said it was by the inner ring and once blu ray discs are scratched, they are done for..
It's hard to tell in a picture like that, but it sounds like you already know the disc was fine. Blu-ray discs are way more scratch resistant than DVDs. I don't think I've ever seen a Blu-ray disc with real visible scratches on it, let alone scratched to the point that I would be concerned with it working properly.

You guys and surveys. All you're doing is getting that person in more trouble, go to or call the store when the manager is there and ask them to deal with it. No need to get the District Manager involved in such a petty issue.

You guys and surveys. All you're doing is getting that person in more trouble, go to or call the store when the manager is there and ask them to deal with it. No need to get the District Manager involved in such a petty issue.
Some people are claiming that the employees are doing it by the managers directions. In that case, yes, it does warrant getting the DM involved.

depends on what you did to get banned
I did a lot of trading during their same as cash promo. Pretty much traded half my games and my whole Skylanders collection. Then I went to Target, bought a bunch of $3 Skylanders and traded them for $6-7 cash each.

So the ban was honestly deserved.

So the whole GS employees getting penalized for having a preorder get canceled on them is still a thing? Now I feel guilty about going into my local store and canceling Star Fox after taking advantage of the 20% bonus... Pretty much all of the employees there are cool

That's a pretty stupid policy to have though. Now I have to go out of my way to go to a bad store so I can screw them over rather than doing it to the employees I actually like

To my surprise, a Gamestop I went to today gave me the "if you don't have cases we will have to run them as defective".  I was gonna pull up the website and show them their policy was in direct contradiction of the website policy, but it was faster to me to just say never mind, pack up my games, and go to another Gamestop literally 5 minutes away.  Although in the same district they happily took my games without cases and were really awesome.

Part of me wants to do a survey and complain about the first store, but I'm a big believer in Karma.  Instead, I'll leave a glowing feedback for the second store, and bask in the afterglow of my $150 ----> $360 flips thanks to Redbox, the 50% Division promo, and the +$10 for 2 game PUR coupon.

Yes, if they try charging a refurb for no case burn their ass from orbit with a nuke.

The DM should get involved and shut that shit down immediately.

It is funny what they can get away with. I should tell them that, since they don't have a original case that they should charge me $3 less for the game.

namcoMuseumPS2.jpg

Update to my story:

As a matter of precaution i cashed out a good chunk of my points tonight and had a brief discussion with a manager that I am cool with and knows what I do (or don't do) when it comes to trading.  As was suggested by SharkSocks above it comes down to cash trades (which I have never done in the past). Cash trades have a much lower threshold to get flagged and it is widely believed (including by this manager) that anything over $500 of cash trades in a month can trigger the "trade limit exceeded" ban. Since I know i did a total of about $600-700 of cash trades during the "Cash same as trade credit promo" over the course of a few days, that is most certainly the trigger. This promo most likely caused a few bans with us higher volume traders and I would bet that if you did over $500 in cash trades during that promo, you could be looking at a ban as well. I will update in this forum if I ever hear anything from LP or if the ban gets lifted before 90 days.

So I went in today to trade a couple games towards the extra $10 for 2 X1/PS4 games. All my games are played by me only and I take good care of my games. I had a junior detective that rang my games up and I noticed a $4 refurb fee. I questioned him on the $4 refurb fee since he didn't mention it to me after he told me how much I was going to get. He said the PS4 game I was trading in was scratched and they would have to refurbish it. Now I know that was a lie because they were all pristine and I asked him where the scratch was. He handed me the disc and said it was by the inner ring and once blu ray discs are scratched, they are done for.. Can anybody help me find this scratch on my disc? I still couldn't see it after he pointed to some fingerprint area. I think I want to burn his ass on a survey.

attachicon.gif
wheres the scratch.jpg
Sorry to hear. You know that game would have gone right to the shelf, too. If a store sends that disc to corporate, 1 of 2 things would happen-
1) Corporate tells the store to quit sending them perfectly fine games
2) Corporate "refurbs" the disc and it ends up looking worse than when it got there.

I have a guy locally that is a refurb maniac. He really caught me off guard the first time, like you were today. I let him know what he was doing was bullshit, and took my games to the next store without issue.

I didn't fill out a survey, as a matter of fact I never have for an in store purchase. I try to resolve the issues on my own...or completely avoid the problem employee. The next time I went to that store, that dude was ready and waiting at the cash reg nearest the door. I walked right past and stood in line and waited for the other employee. A little awkward, but I was happier in the end. I'll probably give him a chance down the road, but he's way too green right now.

It'd have to be pretty bad for me to burn a local store on a survey. Now if I was a couple hours away down by no658, I'd burn that bitch down :twisted:

Nothing like receiving a disk that looks like a tiny ghost used it as a masturbatory aid.

More like Ski-Goo

oSNL55v.jpg

We all make so much money off of GS, let them have the refurb fee or whatever every now and then. The more you complain the more they will remember you.

only time I fight refurb fees is if they want to charge them for not having the case. had to pull out the app and show the employee the official statement saying its the same price with case or not

This. I didnt even have to call the manager. He was on the next register over and heard our convo. He fixed it and apologized. All the stores in my area are good. I rarely have issues.

But leaves more scratches, right?
An expensive, well-maintained, and high quality machine will make the disks looks great, some will even look almost new.

Gamestop does not use such a machine, which is why their disks have the swirl marks all over them.

My local retro store has the best machine. Those disks look amazing. It's sometimes cheaper for me to pay him to fix them (4 for $10 or $3 each) rather than pay the GS refurb fee. For the quality and service he provides (his employees also carefully check each disk for any un-fixable issues), that's quite a steal of a price.

An expensive, well-maintained, and high quality machine will make the disks looks great, some will even look almost new.

Gamestop does not use such a machine, which is why their disks have the swirl marks all over them.

My local retro store has the best machine. Those disks look amazing. It's sometimes cheaper for me to pay him to fix them (4 for $10 or $3 each) rather than pay the GS refurb fee. For the quality and service he provides (his employees also carefully check each disk for any un-fixable issues), that's quite a steal of a price.
Agree with this 100%. The disc the way Gamestop currently does it, I would rather they didn't touch the disc at all.

Yup, there it is.

And as for the promos I know and remember it well. I just found it funny how much media attention was paid to it. I don't remember any stories about it reverting back.
Because no press release was issued by GS about it & games media is under the impression that physical media is out the door & dying b/c they don't have room for it in their tiny, uber expensive apartments in SF & NY.

So the whole GS employees getting penalized for having a preorder get canceled on them is still a thing? Now I feel guilty about going into my local store and canceling Star Fox after taking advantage of the 20% bonus... Pretty much all of the employees there are cool

That's a pretty stupid policy to have though. Now I have to go out of my way to go to a bad store so I can screw them over rather than doing it to the employees I actually like
You can't cancel preorders at a store the preorder wasn't placed at. So if you're going to just cancel a preorder, place it at the store you hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back