GameTap for less than $5/month (NiGHTS Into Dreams coming this year) !!!

Legolas813

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The awesome GameTap anniversary deal from last year is back. For a limited time, if you sign up for a year of GameTap, you will pay the equivalent of less than $5/month. This is 50% off the normal price of GameTap. Once subscribed, you will be locked in at this price (possibly forever).

GameTap offers unlimited play of over 1,000 new and old games (and growing every week) across multiple platforms. Not to mention the TV show episodes and video features released each week. Don't forget: challenge play on select games, leaderboards, online message boards, parental controls and more. This IS the best deal in gaming.

GameTap even gets day and date releases with certain games when they release in store. Some recent examples of this include Clive Barker's Jericho and Conflict: Denied Ops.

A complete list of GameTap's game catalog

NiGHTS Into Dreams coming next year!

Subscribe now

Please note that some pictures and descriptions above are slightly outdated/inaccurate, as GameTap has recently released a new version of the GameTap Player. TV shows are now on the website, not in the client.

I will have to look into this. How long do we have to decide? To clarify how long is this sale going a week or what? I need to think for a day or two on this.

[quote name='Snake2715']I will have to look into this. How long do we have to decide? To clarify how long is this sale going a week or what? I need to think for a day or two on this.[/QUOTE]

Last year it ran through October 31, but this year they have not disclosed the ending date.

Great site I just signed up, but it was better for me to set up montly subscribtion rather then instantly paying $60. I love playing original Price of Persia :D

[quote name='kipz']I know about that. Actually there is a website that can test your computer and it tells you how well your computer will run a certain game. It said that my CPU runs at 4.9ghz but I assume thats core 2 dual standards.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not, but that doesn't really matter, a Core 2 at that clock speed will run any game out just fine.

No, I don't have intergrated video. I have an ATI x1300 PCI-E.

The game that I'm having problems with is Hitman:Blood Money. Acording to that website I mentioned earlier my computer is above the recomended specs. When I try to start the game it brings up the "luancher" where I can choose the resolution and other graphic related options, and then when I press the start button in there gametap just comes back up.

Do you have the newest drivers from ATi.com installed correctly? I'd guess most likely it's a driver issue. You might need to use driver cleaner pro to make sure your old drivers are completely off there before installing the new ones. The x1300 is low end, but it should probably at least launch the game so you can see how it runs.

[quote name='jthieme'] Also can I install the player and download and play games on another computer as long as I'm only signed in at one at a time?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it basically is like Steam in that regard. You can run it on 30 computers if you really wanted to I suppose, just one at a time (I do it on two, my home computer, and, well, you know :D )

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']did it. Hopefully they will make the pc games work on my mac. This is an investment towards the future...[/QUOTE]

It sounds like they're working towards that, but in the mean time you can always use Boot Camp to run the games in Windows.

[quote name='linkpwns']Wait, this doesn't run on 64bit processors? Someone said that, not sure if it is correct.[/QUOTE]

It might not run on 64-bit WINDOWS, it of course runs on 64-bit processors. It's just one more example of 64-bit windows not being ready for prime time. If you don't know which version you have, it"s 32-bit :)

[quote name='linkpwns']Wait, this doesn't run on 64bit processors? Someone said that, not sure if it is correct.[/quote]
It runs fine on 64 bit processors. It's the Windows games that won't run under a 64 bit Operating System (due to the encryption they use).

i am very very interested in this... but I won't have any money until next week for it...

I want to use game pads what are some good console to pc controller ports out there?

The wired (or I guess wireless, with adapter) Xbox 360 controller works great on Gametap. Never been a huge fan of converters, though, they seem flaky at best.

[quote name='awp']I'd be interested by my computer sucks. Something like Jericho probably wouldn't even run.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you haven't played the demo, it's pretty much trash.

Yeah, I'd just go with the 360 pad which is kind of the generic Windows pad now, or else get a Logitech pad if you like those better. The 360 pad is pretty good all around except it's dpad isn't the greatest (decent on some, TERRIBLE on others, seems to be random).

EDIT: What I mean to say is some 360 controllers have decent d-pads, most I've used are terrible. I have one that for some reason is good...come to think of it, this is probably another widespread 360 hardware issue, technically...

[quote name='chriscolemanis']I signed up after seeing how much money I could save compared to Gamefly, but the site sucks. They do not have anywhere near the same amount of games, and the games they do have, well good luck getting a copy since almost all of them are very long wait to receive. Just a lil heads up for some people be4 making the switch or the start[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that gametap was an online service for games? i.e. they don't ship you a physical copy of anything, you simply download it and play from your system.

[quote name='hepcat1']I was under the impression that gametap was an online service for games? i.e. they don't ship you a physical copy of anything, you simply download it and play from your system.[/QUOTE]

It is. That poster is either totally confused about what Gametap is, or somehow completely misread what site this deal is for.

Thanks Wolfpup. I saw they have all the old black isle games (planescape, bg1 and 2, etc.). How's the service reliability? I've got a windows media center system with rollup 2. any issues that a current subscriber would warn new users about?

[quote name='hepcat1']Thanks Wolfpup. I saw they have all the old black isle games (planescape, bg1 and 2, etc.). How's the service reliability? I've got a windows media center system with rollup 2. any issues that a current subscriber would warn new users about?[/QUOTE]

I think there might be the usual Vista weirdness, but works great under XP. I haven't seen any issues, although specific Windows games could have the same issues they'd have if you had a physical disc.

I've never seen the service go down or anything as far as reliability goes. You do have to be connected to the service to launch a game though (but if you're disconnected from the internet while playing, it seems to let you keep playing unless you quit the game).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Do you have the newest drivers from ATi.com installed correctly? I'd guess most likely it's a driver issue. You might need to use driver cleaner pro to make sure your old drivers are completely off there before installing the new ones. The x1300 is low end, but it should probably at least launch the game so you can see how it runs.[/quote]

I went to Gametap's forum, apparently I had a common problem with Hitman. I just had to update Direct X. I retract what I said about gametap not working with dual-core. Thanks for the help wolfpup.

[quote name='kipz']I retract what I said about gametap not working with dual-core.[/QUOTE]

You may want to delete your previous post then.

Could somebody tell me why the Start button never seems to work in the game when quickly pressed? It only seems to work when i hold it down for ~2 seconds, then it takes me out to the gametap menu. Is there no way to just pause the game like normal?

Ive tried this in several games w/ keyboard and xbox controller...is there something else that i could be doing wrong?

[quote name='Legolas813']^ What game(s) in particular are you referring to and what exactly are you trying to do? I'll see if I can help you out.[/quote]
well ive tried SF2, 1941, Fatal Fury, metal slug, and ghost and goblins. Its not really that big of a deal, i just wish i could pause instantly instead of waiting a few seconds, and i just was wondering if i was doing anything wrong. Thanks in advance for the help :)

^ To pause the games immediately, use the ESC key. For all emulated games within GameTap, the ESC key will always work to pause. Also, in case you didn't know, while you are paused, you can save your progress in many of the games, even in those that never had a save feature when they were originally released.

You're not really "pausing" per se, the start button is being used to get back to the menu, so for whatever reason they require you to hold the button. Possibly because some games will actually use Start for a function? I'm not sure.

in games with actual pause capabilities those would work like normal.

Yep, that sounds about right.

In games with a built-in pause function, use the pause key that is configured. In games without a pause function, use the ESC key, because the Enter key has a delay, possibly because that key could also be used for something else.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I think there might be the usual Vista weirdness, but works great under XP. I haven't seen any issues, although specific Windows games could have the same issues they'd have if you had a physical disc.

I've never seen the service go down or anything as far as reliability goes. You do have to be connected to the service to launch a game though (but if you're disconnected from the internet while playing, it seems to let you keep playing unless you quit the game).[/quote]

I never played those which is the whole reason i joined GameTap. I can say the Planescape runs great on my MacBook Pro using Vista. Haven't tried either Baldur yet.

[quote name='kipz']I went to Gametap's forum, apparently I had a common problem with Hitman. I just had to update Direct X. I retract what I said about gametap not working with dual-core. Thanks for the help wolfpup.[/quote]

There is still some weirdness with Dual Core support and i hear it's getting fixed soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

OK, I'll bite. This site has a lot more to offer than when I last looked at it (about 2 years ago). The Neo Geo games did it for me. And to think I was about to spend $9 on the Virtual Console!

[quote name='kevlar51']OK, I'll bite. This site has a lot more to offer than when I last looked at it (about 2 years ago). The Neo Geo games did it for me. And to think I was about to spend $9 on the Virtual Console![/QUOTE]

Hey, that's almost two months of service! :D

I took a gamble and bit on this deal after seeing the selection of games, and have been blown away at how well everything works. I love the huge selection of 2D fighters, playing the old Black Isle RPGs on my new laptop is a great blast from the past, and having all the Sam and Max episodes? Plus being able to share my account with up to 7 friends and family members?

Amazing, amazing buy, thanks for the deal OP.

Just signed up. The number of educational games sopld me.. those thjings will muck up your PC if intalled separately....but with gametap it should work better....

Guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but is this offer still on? It seems its $9.99 a month (with the first month for $0.99).

[quote name='hilld']Guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but is this offer still on? It seems its $9.99 a month (with the first month for $0.99).[/quote]

Choose the annual plan ($59.xx per year)

It seems they finally added the feature for existing members to change their plan online, so if you haven't yet switched over to the anniversary deal, there is no need to contact customer service. You can just do it yourself.

Just saw that Jericho comes out the same day as stores so for those who are interested and have the rig to run it i figured you would want to know.

[quote name='Dibol13']i heard it was for free?[/quote]
There are around 30 free games which you can play on GameTap.

The free thing is just so you can sample how GameTap works. If you want unlimited ad-free access to the complete GameTap library, you will have to subscribe.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I just wish they had effing deluxe player for mac....[/QUOTE]

They have not forgotten Mac users. There is just a little more development and beta testing to be done before any further support and releases.

[quote name='Doomed']Only had it 9 days and think I got my money's worth. Great service.[/quote]

I've been a free user for a couple of months and signed up for the yearly subscription 8 days ago. It is well worth the money. Even if I only play one night a week, I'm satisfied.

I'm sure this was asked already, but it's between me spending ten minutes to read this thread and someone else who already knows spending ten seconds to reply...

So.. sorry to be a douche.. but how long is this supposed to last?

I'd like to wait as long as possible.

Last year it ended on October 31. This year, no end date has been given.

However, I will try to ask one of the staff members for you.

[quote name='Legolas813']Last year it ended on October 31. This year, no end date has been given.

However, I will try to ask one of the staff members for you.[/QUOTE]

That would be wonderfully appreciated, as if it ends soon, I'll just have to bite the bullet.

[quote name='Archgarth']That would be wonderfully appreciated, as if it ends soon, I'll just have to bite the bullet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have such a huge backlog that I don't need it now, so I'm trying to hold out for as long as possible. But I'm figuring I'll have to get it this week or next Monday at the latest.

bread's done
Back