Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love UPS! Dropped off packages on the 20th at 4:00 PM at the UPS Store. UPS picked them up the 20th @ 5:00 PM. Packages arrived in Hunt Valley, MD the 21st @ 10 AM. Gazelle checked and accepted all the contents of 2 packages. Expecting payment in 3-5 days. Still awaiting results on the last package.

USPS used to take 1 week to deliver the same package to MD.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Love UPS! Dropped off packages on the 20th at 4:00 PM at the UPS Store. UPS picked them up the 20th @ 5:00 PM. Packages arrived in Hunt Valley, MD the 21st @ 10 AM. Gazelle checked and accepted all the contents of 2 packages. Expecting payment in 3-5 days. Still awaiting results on the last package.

USPS used to take 1 week to deliver the same package to MD.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I hate you ;). I haven't sent anything since they changed labels, but whereas I was getting 2-3 day delivery with USPS from the West Coast (using Priority since they overpaid on the Parcel Post labels and it qualified for Priority) I expect 8-10 days via UPS Slow. I fucking hate UPS.

I'll have some packages to send out later this week. The change effectively cuts off about 10 days I have to submit stuff to Gazelle since I'll have to mail things much earlier to ensure they get there before the 30 days are up.

So how has everyone's experiences with Gazelle been? I used NextWorth (the one that gives back Target gift cards) and they totally screwed me over on a video game, claiming it was cracked. These type of sites can lie about what condition your items are in and that's the end of that.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']So how has everyone's experiences with Gazelle been? I used NextWorth (the one that gives back Target gift cards) and they totally screwed me over on a video game, claiming it was cracked. These type of sites can lie about what condition your items are in and that's the end of that.[/QUOTE]

So far so good, I've traded in probably about 600 dollars worth of stuff so far and everything's been verified and paid. Wish they were as fast as Amazon, but the higher TIV's and 30 days to send in makes it worth the trade off.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']So how has everyone's experiences with Gazelle been? I used NextWorth (the one that gives back Target gift cards) and they totally screwed me over on a video game, claiming it was cracked. These type of sites can lie about what condition your items are in and that's the end of that.[/QUOTE]

That site must blow then.

Gazelle is 5 stars definitely the best out there. When I sent my phone away it was actually better than expected so they added more money on. Any other site wouldnt have even mentioned that.

Gazelle is far and away the best place to send games in terms of acceptance. I have never once heard of a game rejected by them on here. I mean, seriously, has anyone had anything rejected or reduced in value, ever? They can handle multi-UPC and "not for resale" games unlike Amazon/NorAm, and don't randomly reject stuff (also unlike Amazon/NorAm).

I'm skimming over these threads and I'm about to send out some packages under the new labels. So just to verify even if I drop off at the post office they will hold for UPS to pick it up?

Reason I ask is because the bottom half has USPS stuff on it with a barcode, tracking, and says something about Parcel Post.

so if i already locked in a trade before gazelle took the TIV for lego indian jones to $0, i shouldn't have a problem sending it in right?

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']I'm skimming over these threads and I'm about to send out some packages under the new labels. So just to verify even if I drop off at the post office they will hold for UPS to pick it up?

Reason I ask is because the bottom half has USPS stuff on it with a barcode, tracking, and says something about Parcel Post.[/QUOTE]

yes, I droppoed off a package with the new label at the local usps office and had no problems. Everything made it to Gazelle fine.

I have to say I was expecting the worst, but USPS picked up my package on Monday, and I just got an email stating the game was received and verified. I think that was even quicker than the last thing I dropped off at UPS.

[quote name='botticus']I have to say I was expecting the worst, but USPS picked up my package on Monday, and I just got an email stating the game was received and verified. I think that was even quicker than the last thing I dropped off at UPS.[/QUOTE]

Well, I dropped off two packages at UPS today and am not expecting delivery until the week after next based on my previous UPS Ground experience with Amazon trade-ins. That is a far cry from the 2 day delivery + 1 day verification I got on my last Priority Mail package to Gazelle.

Or is it possible that USPS will do the work to get it across country and then give it to UPS on the other end? If that is the case (ie, UPS handles it as little as possible) then I would have dropped it off at USPS since they can get stuff across country 3-4x faster. I guess I just figured the way everyone was talking here that they just took the packages you dropped off and handed them right off to UPS after a few days delay - so I figured I'd at least cut out that delay by bringing them right to the UPS store. Maybe I'll try a little experiment with my next one.

I believe that USPS just gives it to UPS and UPS does all the actual shipping. I think USPS only does shipping if it is returned to you, which is my guess based on the fine print on the shipping label it says Return Parcel Post or Parcel Post Return with some #.

here's a tracking example for a USPS drop off

[quote name='biuevenom']Sorry if i wasn't clear, the UPS number goes into effect and works as a normal tracking number once they pick up your package from the post office.

This is what the UPS tracking shows me after they picked mine up from the post office;
SPARKS, MD, US 07/14/2010 9:26 A.M. DELIVERY
07/14/2010 7:07 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
07/14/2010 6:13 A.M. DESTINATION SCAN
07/14/2010 6:12 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ, US 07/14/2010 3:52 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/14/2010 12:56 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN , NY, US 07/13/2010 10:12 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/13/2010 10:55 A.M. AT LOCAL POST OFFICE US 07/07/2010 2:29 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JediJames2']Looks like Gazelle now has a limit of 5 per each video game. Had to happen eventually I guess.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so it does - this was not there yesterday. Well, 5 isn't bad at all - that really shouldn't bother anyone here except the exteme types ;). I do have a currently submitted trade that does put me a bit over for one game though. I'm going to assume they will honor submissions made before the change (ie, before today).

Just as a test I added another copy of that particular game and it doesn't say anything about being over the limit. I didn't check all the way out with it though. It would be nice if it just cut you off like Amazon does (and, also like Amazon, frees up that slot if you cancel).

A couple of good printing and shipping tips for Gazelle and other trade-ins that I have used...

You can highlight only what you want to print....like the actual label...and then when print dialog comes up choose the radio button "selection", this way it will only print that.

Installing a PDF printer and saving a document as a PDF can be helpful. I use Adobe Reader's booklet sytle printout to shrink the Gazelle labels for bubble mailers (although there are probably 100 other ways to do it.) I use it because it lets me get it to one half of my avery labels so I can use the other half for something else.

Don't print all the unnecessary trade-in info...again selection is your friend.

Those using boxes...afraid of using an old FedEx or heavily marked up box? Go to the Dollar store and buy a roll of brown shipping paper. Simple and highly effective for re-using boxes.

Bubble mailers and boxes in bulk are a lot cheaper than buying them at the store. I try to re-use boxes though. Uline is good for mailers and boxes. If you don't have the room or need for 100 bubble mailers this might not be for you but between trading stuff, selling stuff, and trading in stuff...it could be a good option for you.

[quote name='JediJames2']Looks like Gazelle now has a limit of 5 per each video game. Had to happen eventually I guess.[/QUOTE]
when dealtree/bestbuy did this did they still honor the qoutes of multiple games made before the change? becuase i had 7 copies of guitar hero 5 i got estimates for 2 days ago but im not gonna be able to ship them out till like saturday.

[quote name='bredbu']when dealtree/bestbuy did this did they still honor the qoutes of multiple games made before the change? becuase i had 7 copies of guitar hero 5 i got estimates for 2 days ago but im not gonna be able to ship them out till like saturday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Deal Tree still honored the quotes after the fact, if it was postmarked and sent out before update. It just took them like a month to get out the payments.

Good!

People like the jackass who traded in 25 Guitar Hero 5s will leave Gazelle alone. Idiots like that are what cause values & restrictions to go over board.

It's 34 and counting now. Why would you be pissed in the first place. They have not dropped values and the select few of us that do this are the only one it penalizes. Even then I don't think it will be that hard to work around that by just setting up another account with another email address. Quit your crying it's not that big of a deal

I asked Gazelle about the 5 limit of the same game, they said there was no limit.

I asked em about trading in a game that I thought had cover art/manual, but it doesnt, and now the trade-in value is 0 and what to do.

They said they can recycle it if I cant get the artwork. Guess a few games are going back to Gamestop.

[quote name='ttonylema']It's 34 and counting now. Why would you be pissed in the first place. They have not dropped values and the select few of us that do this are the only one it penalizes. Even then I don't think it will be that hard to work around that by just setting up another account with another email address. Quit your crying it's not that big of a deal[/QUOTE]

you're pathetic.

has this been answered or brought up, when does Gazelle update with new games?
i trade trading in splinter cell conviction about a month or two ago and it wasnt in the system, i had like 4-5 games i wanted to trade in(skate 3,lost planet 2,red dead redemption, alan wake) and i couldnt :/

At amazon they are 16 a piece and trade at gazelle for 23.10 with the amazon option. So I just am increasing my amazon credit that I aleady have. It's actually the easiest way to do it. I see it being thrifty not pathetic but you guys can call what ever you want.

[quote name='ttonylema']At amazon they are 16 a piece and trade at gazelle for 23.10 with the amazon option. So I just am increasing my amazon credit that I aleady have. It's actually the easiest way to do it. I see it being thrifty not pathetic but you guys can call what ever you want.[/QUOTE]
thats capitalism buy low sell high right lol or something like it

[quote name='confoosious']you're pathetic.[/QUOTE]

+1 with confoosious too. it's people like this, who overscrew the system, that will ruin it.
Will cause Gazelle to add game limits, change from 30 day ship (which is awesome, Amazon only gives you 7), etc.

the 30 day trade in window is awesome.

There's taking advantage of something and then there's completely raping it. 34 copies of GH5? Come on. That's just a bit excessive. People are so stupid. And it's never their fault. But I guess they're thinking is always selfish: I better kill the golden goose or someone else will. Pathetic.

[quote name='ttonylema']It's 34 and counting now. Why would you be pissed in the first place. They have not dropped values and the select few of us that do this are the only one it penalizes. Even then I don't think it will be that hard to work around that by just setting up another account with another email address. Quit your crying it's not that big of a deal[/QUOTE]

It penalizes everybody buddy.

If, like somebody else said, Gazelle starts acting like Amazon and killing values on a daily basis, people who maybe only had 1 of a game can't trade it in because people like you traded in 30. Wasn't Amazon a lot better in the beginning? Now they're like the KGB of video game trade ins. I'd like if Gazelle didn't turn out that way as well.

Heck, I already had the game and traded it in. Did I take advantage of them never updating their value? Sure.

But at this point, I rather they update their database so newer games are on there and I don't have to use eBay or Amazon to dump things I don't want.

Oh and to 3rd somebody else's point. You're pathetic. I check on Amazon and you can only order 3 of that game at a time. So you actually made 11 different Amazon accounts just to do this? Wow. I hope Amazon catches you with 11 accounts to 1 address.

[quote name='confoosious']the 30 day trade in window is awesome.

There's taking advantage of something and then there's completely raping it. 34 copies of GH5? Come on. That's just a bit excessive. People are so stupid. And it's never their fault. But I guess they're thinking is always selfish: I better kill the golden goose or someone else will. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Wait, that's what he meant by "34 and counting?" Shit, that IS overboard. I can kind of understand six or seven, ten is pushing it, but 34 is CRAZY.

There's taking advantage of something and then there's completely raping it. 34 copies of GH5? Come on. That's just a bit excessive. People are so stupid. And it's never their fault. But I guess they're thinking is always selfish: I better kill the golden goose or someone else will. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully somebody with a brain checking them in sees the same zip code popping up with the same stupid game. Would love to see him stuck with 20 Guitar Hero 5s. :bouncy:

:applause: Does this Tony guy realize if he had spread his trades out there would be no limit right now or possibly for a long long time? He wonders why we're mad :roll: Some of us spread our trades out and send a couple of a game per order every now and then and nothing happened. We do end up with over 5 trades per year for many games, just not all at once. Now this brainiac comes along sends out 34, ruins it, and thinks we're the one with the problem. Pathetic indeed. Now we got this stupid limit and we may have to keep track of how much we've sent for every title. :applause:

[quote name='ttonylema']At amazon they are 16 a piece and trade at gazelle for 23.10 with the amazon option. So I just am increasing my amazon credit that I aleady have. It's actually the easiest way to do it. I see it being thrifty not pathetic but you guys can call what ever you want.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to how you were able to do this. Amazon seems to limit purchases of the game to 3 per household.

[quote name='cheeky']I'm curious as to how you were able to do this. Amazon seems to limit purchases of the game to 3 per household.[/QUOTE]

amazon ware house had no limit it was available there for a while

[quote name='cheeky']I'm curious as to how you were able to do this. Amazon seems to limit purchases of the game to 3 per household.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure making alternate accounts allows you to bypass things like that.

The problem with the "people" who trade in 20-30 of the same title is that they have no idea why it's a bad thing to do. They can't think 2 minutes ahead and see the effects of their own little greed. instead think "man, they just be hatin'" and think the people chastising them are the assholes.

I know that it shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it still surprises me how dumb and selfish people are.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I'm pretty sure making alternate accounts allows you to bypass things like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah some people have nothing better to do than make 11 different emails, accounts and name variations on Amazon. :roll:

[quote name='rp71284']Yeah some people have nothing better to do than make 11 different emails, accounts and name variations on Amazon. :roll:[/QUOTE]

you didnt need to do that they had them at amazon ware house with no purchase limit from other sellers

where are they stating this? Link?

OK, I removed the post about trading 34 of one game in and the backlash that it caused. Please don't discuss that any more here!

[quote name='io']OK, I removed the post about trading 34 of one game in and the backlash that it caused. Please don't discuss that any more here![/QUOTE]

good man. it is a waste of time to argue. im shipping out all the games i had planned on sending out in the next 30 days today, just in case they try to pull anything with this new limit

[quote name='io']OK, I removed the post about trading 34 of one game in and the backlash that it caused. Please don't discuss that any more here![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Oh and an update to anybody wondering about the database, they're still saying within a month. They also said within a month at the beginning of July too. :cry:

35 would have been pushing it, but 34 is completely within reason. I've sent in high quantities before, but I never had the balls to chance that many at once...I guess you probably did in smaller batches though.

While on the topic of Gazelle updating/changing things...how about we see some progress with adding new games and TIV's? It's like they have given up since March/April and they are playing dead until we go away!

34 at once would have gotten him Estebanned (sorry, couldn't resist! :p )

I had actually contacted Gazelle last Fall and spoken to a guy named Yuri about how they had their video game trade-ins setup. He seemed really interested in what I had to say, we spoke for about 30 minutes, and then he didn't return any calls after the fact. I don't know if he disappeared to greener pastures or what. I've always felt like Gazelle was asleep at the wheel, but didn't mind picking the till while they were.

Well, its not like I don't have a work around for the 5 limit. However, it didn't stop me from submitting more games right now. Will they return them, or do they expect people to go, "Hey, I already submitted 5 games of this already, so I can't". Guess i'll find out next week. I'll report to YOU the results.

Tried the local drop off at the Gazelle hq today in Allston, MA. Took a little time to get someone, but very easy overall.

bread's done
Back