Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess io doesn't want me to know about those Guitar Hero 5 trees or something :cool:

anyway, what exactly is this "new" label? I have a few orders in but haven't looked at the pdfs yet. also what's the max amount of item's allowed in one shipment? I think I have one for 5 or 6, hope the Amazon boxes I have lying around could fit.

[quote name='caedeskhan']Tried the local drop off at the Gazelle hq today in Allston, MA. Took a little time to get someone, but very easily overall.[/QUOTE]

i almost did that for FF13, but they payed the shipping label and i was lazy so i just dropped it at the post office

if i do another trade on Gazelle, i'll do the drop off location :D

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I guess io doesn't want me to know about those Guitar Hero 5 trees or something :cool:

anyway, what exactly is this "new" label? I have a few orders in but haven't looked at the pdfs yet. also what's the max amount of item's allowed in one shipment? I think I have one for 5 or 6, hope the Amazon boxes I have lying around could fit.[/QUOTE]

My biggest order so far was like 22 games. I don't think they have a max. I say you're better off with 5-6 game orders. It would suck if you lose that one box of 22 games. At least with smaller orders of 5-6 if you lose one, it's not that bad.

Does anyone know if we can use those UPS bubble mailers / boxes with these labels? The boxes/mailers say not for ground packages but Gamestop and other retailers seem to use them for ground anyways. Has anyone tried it?

everytime i've gotten a GS package in those ground mailers, it's been shipped via the USPS. The USPS just doesn't care (probably hates) UPS so they don't care.

But UPS would care if they used their bubble mailers incorrectly.

Since Gazelle well overestimates weight, just find a box. It's not that hard.

[quote name='biuevenom']Does anyone know if we can use those UPS bubble mailers / boxes with these labels? The boxes/mailers say not for ground packages but Gamestop and other retailers seem to use them for ground anyways. Has anyone tried it?[/QUOTE]

I've used them several times however I give all my boxes to the ups guy that delivers to my work and so I've seen him 3-4 times a week for the past 4 years and he just laughs if I have a box that states it weighs 5 lbs and is closer to 10. Says maybe I need a new scale and walks out the door. Moral of the story very ymmv

[quote name='mrright4you4now']I've used them several times however I give all my boxes to the ups guy that delivers to my work and so I've seen him 3-4 times a week for the past 4 years and he just laughs if I have a box that states it weighs 5 lbs and is closer to 10. Says maybe I need a new scale and walks out the door. Moral of the story very ymmv[/QUOTE]

You've used the UPS branded bubble mailers?

There's a lot of other solutions you can use:

-Shoebox with paper bags around it
-Paper Bags just wrapped around a bunch of games (not recommended)
-UPS/USPS priority boxes with paper bags

Plus if you're on here, you probably have bought something online in the past, which means it had to come in something.

the USPS is losing enough money as it is -- please don't use their priority boxes at UPS.

If you go into any retailer (walmart, target, supermarket) and ask them they always have tons of extra boxes you can have. Like I said, since you're not paying for shipping, it doesn't matter if the box is bigger than you need.

[quote name='confoosious']You've used the UPS branded bubble mailers?[/QUOTE]

Yes dozens of times. Like I said though I know the drivers name and everything so I'm not sure if he does it because of that or if they just don't care.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Yes dozens of times. Like I said though I know the drivers name and everything so I'm not sure if he does it because of that or if they just don't care.[/QUOTE]

It's probably one of those things where if you don't do it all the time they don't really want to bother correcting you on the misuse.

Although the people at the UPS Store are huge dickheads and will probably say something. I've heard multiple stories where they refuse or chastise you for prepaid labels because they don't make money on them.

So I've had Guitar Hero 5 in my cart for a few days and was looking around the sight before I actually checked out just now. After some looking I found a game I wanted to trade-in and added it to my cart. Surprising it said there was only one item in my box and GH5 was no longer there.

So I figured no big deal and went to re-add the game to my cart and the tiv is now $15 instead of $23 or whatever it was at.

Anyone else experience something like this? Definitely not a good first impression dealing with Gazelle.

Never said it was. I just don't understand why it would clear out my cart like that. I had some other games in there as well and everything was gone.

It's not a big deal but im just not impressed

You have to make sure to actually submit the trade in. Putting it in the cart does nothing until you go through the entire checkout procedure. Basically its as if you put one of gamestops games in your cart thats on sale with their promo this week and then coming back in a week and being like wtf how dare they want $10 more for this game now.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']You have to make sure to actually submit the trade in. Putting it in the cart does nothing until you go through the entire checkout procedure. Basically its as if you put one of gamestops games in your cart thats on sale with their promo this week and then coming back in a week and being like wtf how dare they want $10 more for this game now.[/QUOTE]
Oh okay I wasn't aware that was how it works. Thanks for the response!

OK, the bigger news here that everyone is overlooking is that they actually changed a trade-in value! Does that mean they have updates prices/added anything? I don't see anything else that changed but I only checked a few things. Maybe that was just a better response than making it only recyclable like they did with Xbox 360 Lego Indy 2.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']They have had some games going up and down lately io.. Sadly though they haven't added any games recently[/QUOTE]

Besides the ones they effectively removed I have not seen any price changes for well over a month. I have not seen any discussion of it here either.

I noticed new super mario go down to 26 then back up to 32 in the past couple of weeks. I had it locked in at the end of last month for 26 but figured I would wait it out and see and it went back up to 32. Thats the only one other then the lego that I've noticed a change in. Just checked they lowered super street fighter from 25 to 20 as well.

Definitely looking like Gazelle is starting to pay attention to game trades again, these are the first price changes in months other than that New Super mrright mentions. With many here giving up on Dealtree it looks like Gazelle is getting hit a lot harder with recent flips, perhaps to a degree where they have to take some action. Maybe the new Gazelle is coming soon too or they really are going to have new games up in a few weeks. I'm sad because I prefer these old flips where you just gotta find deals and not try to find high tivs and deals.

okay so i just got off chat with the people over at gazelle when I asked them about the limit of 5 per game

1) If your order is still open, the limit does not apply to you. Only applies to new future orders

2) As of now, there isn't a real way to let you know if you reached your limit BUT

3) The 5 game limit is "rolling 30 days" (thats what they called it), so after 30 days you are able to trade another 5. They said its from when you first placed the order.

Well that sucks, I had a trade in of a few games late last month and since I was waiting on the label I didn't do anything. Well then I went out of town for awhile and when I came back I just let the trade lapse since I never did get the label.

Since I didn't have a printer I just said screw it, but now they updated the prices and they went way down lol. Like I was going to trade FFXIII in for like 32 and now they're giving 10 dollars. fuck that haha, I'll keep it and finish it someday instead of trading it in for a pittance. Not saying Gazelle is bad, because I like them. This is more my fault than anything. Should've taken my lazy ass to the library to print out a label. :/

Well this sucks so we have to tally everything we've sent to Gazelle to make sure we don't go over 5. Did they say what happens if you're over 5 and you ship the game to them? I'm hoping they'd at least let you pay to get it shipped back but we all know what Dealtree fucking does.

[quote name='J7.']Well this sucks so we have to tally everything we've sent to Gazelle to make sure we don't go over 5. Did they say what happens if you're over 5 and you ship the game to them? I'm hoping they'd at least let you pay to get it shipped back but we all know what Dealtree fucking does.[/QUOTE]

Gazelle used to be so innocent and simple.

Was checking today and noticed the following were lowered: for the Wii Lego Indiana Jones 2 & Guitar hero 5. Both were lowered to $15.00.

They've probably got a crap load of these titles in already ;), and I don't know what's going on, but only lowing it by $5 & $ 7 respectively, means that they're not losing money like people are stating. If that were the case they would have completely tanked the values or put it on recycle only ie LIJ2 360, Hasbro Family Game Night Wii, but just my 2 cents. Those were some good flips; RIP.

It is disappointing that values are being lowered with no new titles added. Gazelle still one of the best if not the best trade in spot imo. It seems the people behind the curtains know moreso what they're doing than others *Cough**Best Buy**Cough**. But time will tell.

a week is not "forever". guess you've never used Dealtree/Bestbuy. That was a horror show.

Actually just got paid right now for a package they received on the 21st.

3 days!

[quote name='YawnAmuroYawn']Was checking today and noticed the following were lowered: for the Wii Lego Indiana Jones 2 & Guitar hero 5. Both were lowered to $15.00.

They've probably got a crap load of these titles in already ;), and I don't know what's going on, but only lowing it by $5 & $ 7 respectively, means that they're not losing money like people are stating. If that were the case they would have completely tanked the values or put it on recycle only ie LIJ2 360, Hasbro Family Game Night Wii, but just my 2 cents. Those were some good flips; RIP.
.[/QUOTE]

HFGN wii is back up for $20....get ur 5 in before it closes again.

edit: WOW that was quick. I went back after posting this and it's back to recycle mode! Guess they only needed 5 more lol.

[quote name='YawnAmuroYawn']Was checking today and noticed the following were lowered: for the Wii Lego Indiana Jones 2 & Guitar hero 5. Both were lowered to $15.00.

It is disappointing that values are being lowered with no new titles added. Gazelle still one of the best if not the best trade in spot imo. It seems the people behind the curtains know moreso what they're doing than others *Cough**Best Buy**Cough**. But time will tell.[/QUOTE]

If they can sell something for $25, then buying it for $20 and paying for shipping and processing it is either very small profit or losing money. Buy it for $15 and sell it for $25 and there is some room for profit. Saying they're not losing money because they only lowered something by $5 does not make any sense. If you're losing money you lower the value to get into a profit margin again. You don't have to completely tank the value. The ones that were tanked were probably low profit/losing money AND tons of copies. Don't be surprised to see the others tank if people here start sending in lots of copies. By the time they sell all those copies they'll be progressively less.

[quote name='J7.']If they can sell something for $25, then buying it for $20 and paying for shipping and processing it is either very small profit or losing money. Buy it for $15 and sell it for $25 and there is some room for profit. Saying they're not losing money because they only lowered something by $5 does not make any sense. If you're losing money you lower the value to get into a profit margin again. You don't have to completely tank the value. The ones that were tanked were probably low profit/losing money AND tons of copies. Don't be surprised to see the others tank if people here start sending in lots of copies. By the time they sell all those copies they'll be progressively less.[/QUOTE]

Has anybody actually figured out WHERE all these games go anyway? IIRC somebody said they have an eBay account.

And to be honest, I'm happy they're tanking some values. Nothing I've traded in has even changed since early June. Guess I'm just lucky. :booty:

so question for anyone who has ups dropbox before, how soon do you see tracking info online? i dropped my package off on thursday afternoon and so far it still says billing information received.

[quote name='y2jasper']so question for anyone who has ups dropbox before, how soon do you see tracking info online? i dropped my package off on thursday afternoon and so far it still says billing information received.[/QUOTE]

Usually later that night/early morning, after its left town.

[quote name='idckay']Usually later that night/early morning, after its left town.[/QUOTE]

damn this kind of worries me since it's been over 2 days and nothing.

hi all, I was wondering if there are any current promo codes going on at the moment. The ones from the first 10 pages are expired (no surprise there i guess), and I've checked the last 10 pages but haven't seen anything yet. thanks!

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']hi all, I was wondering if there are any current promo codes going on at the moment. The ones from the first 10 pages are expired (no surprise there i guess), and I've checked the last 10 pages but haven't seen anything yet. thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't think promo codes work with video game trade ins. That's how it's been for a while now.

[quote name='Eric1285']I don't think promo codes work with video game trade ins. That's how it's been for a while now.[/QUOTE]

K, thanks! I'll just lock in my first trade-in then. hope everything works smoothly...

I seem to remember reading in here that Gazelle will accept games without the manual for full credit. Can someone confirm that they have sent in game(s) without the manual, but with original case/artwork, and have gotten full credit? I hope I'm not mistaken...

[quote name='rp71284']Has anybody actually figured out WHERE all these games go anyway? IIRC somebody said they have an eBay account.

And to be honest, I'm happy they're tanking some values. Nothing I've traded in has even changed since early June. Guess I'm just lucky. :booty:[/QUOTE]

I think they sell through GamersFactory, who also sells the ones Best Buy trade in.

[quote name='DustBoogie']I seem to remember reading in here that Gazelle will accept games without the manual for full credit. Can someone confirm that they have sent in game(s) without the manual, but with original case/artwork, and have gotten full credit? I hope I'm not mistaken...[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that they do accept games without manual for full credit.

[quote name='candymaker789']I can confirm that they do accept games without manual for full credit.[/QUOTE]

Same. I have even sent in generic DVD cases with original artwork and they accept those too. They seem fairly lax about what they need. Also, a ton of my orders were paid today within a 5 hour span. Nothing rejected. Happy face.

[quote name='kataztrophik']Same. I have even sent in generic DVD cases with original artwork and they accept those too. They seem fairly lax about what they need. Also, a ton of my orders were paid today within a 5 hour span. Nothing rejected. Happy face.[/QUOTE]

Same here... except I did mine by check (I loathe Paypal having any cash of mine).

Their check system is funny though... their HQ is in Boston, MA apparently, and the bank issuing the checks is in Pittsburgh (a bank I never heard of either), but the envelope came from Tacoma, WA.

[quote name='rp71284']Same here... except I did mine by check (I loathe Paypal having any cash of mine).

Their check system is funny though... their HQ is in Boston, MA apparently, and the bank issuing the checks is in Pittsburgh (a bank I never heard of either), but the envelope came from Tacoma, WA.[/QUOTE]

Yep and you ship your items to MD LOL

Ugh! I just have to say that I hate these new Gazelle shipping labels. I dropped off several packages at my local post office in Vancouver, WA on 7/20. They made it to Portland, OR later that evening. Then on 7/22, they arrived in Federal Way, WA only to be shipped back to Portland, OR on 7/23. On 7/24 they have left Portland (again) and are on their way to Gazelle (through UPS) with a scheduled delivery of 7/30.

I guess I learned my lesson though and will be dropping off future packages directly with UPS, even though it is far less convenient. It looks like it was the postal service that took the packages for a 4-day trip to Federal Way, WA and back before delivering them to UPS.

bread's done
Back