Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

I wonder how many people would quit matches if the host could select what weapons were available to use and turned off the sawed off. It would probably be over 85%.

I am sure that is the most popular weapon for kills and Epic will change it whenever they do their first real patch. Then you will see the sawed off people complaining on the forums just like the reverse of what is happening now.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Maybe I need to get into the Gears 3 MP more, but am I wrong in thinking the SOS, with its range smaller then the Gnasher, is soooo overpowered? Its supposed to be deadly strong if you can get it to land on somebody, but it only has one round in it before a reload and has quite small ammo capacity as well......?[/QUOTE]

4 shots (1 and 3 in the clip), very wide range, distance varies from like 1-3 ft. to 5-8 ft. at all times. OHKO, all the time.

OHKO only if you can land it though. Keeping range and peppering people who just run up to you should avoid them getting so close they blast you into bits (barring lag)...IDK...

Except that the range varies wildly. That's the main problem of it.

EDIT: It seems like they can fix stuff in the background on this game. I just noticed a couple of things while playing Public Horde

#1 - Host Migration for Horde is now in apparently. I got disconnected from a Match and it migrated the game.
#2 - If the Lambent Beserker is the last kill of a round it now ends the round before it kills everyone in a radius of its' explosion.

I don't know what else they're doing, but that's kinda neat.

And I'm Lv.44 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today in horde i got my first Trick Shot ribbon. Thats when you headshot someone with a torque bow and the same shot leads to a 2nd kill. I shot the torque at a boomers head and ended up taking 2 boomers heads off with the same shot. LOL. It was pretty sweet. Apparently i got 2 Trick Shot ribbons during that play, but i only remember that one.

[quote name='KingBroly']#2 - If the Lambent Beserker is the last kill of a round it now ends the round before it kills everyone in a radius of its' explosion.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I don't think that's changed, since it just happened to me last night around the time you were posting. :lol: I killed the Lambent Zerker in wave 10 on Drydock and then was killed in the explosion as the round ended.

The shotgun thing doesn't bother me any more, I use the Lancer and if someone gets close before I can down them then I'm likely gonna die, I can live with that. Better that than ending up in constant shotgun duels which I'll likely lose anyway.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Actually, I don't think that's changed, since it just happened to me last night around the time you were posting. :lol: I killed the Lambent Zerker in wave 10 on Drydock and then was killed in the explosion as the round ended.[/QUOTE]

Odd. When it went down for us, I revived (I was down at the time) and the round ended immediately, stats screen came up, and then it blew up.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but is anyone excited about the first new piece of DLC, Horde Command? It's Horde-centric, but includes new maps (Blood Drive!), defense upgrades (Silverback rockets!!!), new characters and two new weapon skins (meh!). 800 MSP seems like a good deal, and its included in the season pass if you've bought it/are going to buy it.

Details here:
The pack will contain three new maps:
  • Blood Drive: A remake of the Gears 2 map, set outside a bombed-out Jacinto hospital. It’s the one with the overhead train tracks and the three tiered stairs that have formed the last stand for many a horde skirmish.
  • Rustlung: A brand new map set on a decommissioned warship that has seen better days (isn’t that always the way).
  • Azura: Another new map set on the colorful island paradise that appears in a latter act of the game’s campaign.
It will also feature a number of new fortifications:
  • Command Centre: A fortification that will allow players to call in hammer of dawn strikes, mortar fire, and sniper teams. I cannot stress how useful this will be in the later waves.
  • Silverback Upgrade: The all powerful mech suit can now be upgraded to fire rockets.
  • Decoy Upgrade: Decoys can be upgraded into an Onyx guard bot who will fight along side you until the bitter end. Could be more skilled than some of the people I’ve had the “pleasure” to fight with.
  • Sentry Upgrade: Sentries can be upgraded to use fire bolts, which are supposed to be supremely useful against those pesky Berserkers.
Three playable characters:
  • Big Rig Dizzy: Everybody’s favorite cowboy-hat wearing COG comes dressed in fetching dungarees.
  • Bernie: Hoffman’s dreadlocked squeeze from the campaign.
  • Onyx Guard: Shiny black armored COG soldier (I am reliably informed that they’re kind of a big deal)
Last, but not least, the pack will feature two brand new weapon skins, one of which will be jungle camo, while the other is entitled Team Plasma, which changes color based on team. Anything to maintain the illusion that you’re a badass hanging on against insurmountable odds, of course…

For as many times as people complain and get mad that they got killed by a sawed off, I almost guarantee that there an equal amount of missed shots with the sawed off as well that those same people don't even take note of because getting killed sticks more in your mind than someone missing a shot on you in the heat of battle.

I can attest to the inconsistent ranges at which the sawed off kills, regardless of what shotgun I'll be using, but I'm fairly sure the lag is the culprit.

People want the sawed off out because of the shit it is capable of in a laggy game when lag is really what's to blame.

I wonder if the horde ticker event will work in private matches. I was gunna do it solo on drydock, sit on those metal beams they wouldnt be able to get to me on and shoot them all, upgrading all my stuff as i go. But it might be online only. Not sure if playing on insane earns you more money than casual or not. Can anyone confirm this?

Hotel is a pretty good map for horde, you can camp by the elevator and it has a ton of barriers, two sentrys in each corner, 2 turrets looking out each side door, brumaks cant get into the doors, not sure about those giant lambent things though. But its a pretty badass map to play on.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I wonder if the horde ticker event will work in private matches. I was gunna do it solo on drydock, sit on those metal beams they wouldnt be able to get to me on and shoot them all, upgrading all my stuff as i go. But it might be online only. Not sure if playing on insane earns you more money than casual or not. Can anyone confirm this?

Hotel is a pretty good map for horde, you can camp by the elevator and it has a ton of barriers, two sentrys in each corner, 2 turrets looking out each side door, brumaks cant get into the doors, not sure about those giant lambent things though. But its a pretty badass map to play on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the ideas and reminding me about the ticker event, I don't do horde very much, but I'll definitely try and knock it out during this event.

Interesting achievements for the Horde Command DLC...

Host with the most (25) - Host a full five person private Horde on any DLC map
Places to see, people to destoy (25) - Host a full five person private Beast on any DLC map
What does this button do? (50) - Get 500 rocket kills from a fully upgraded Silverback in Horde
It's Hammer Time (50) - Upgrade your command center to max level (4)
Kill Locust like a BOSS (100) - 5 players using the DLC Onyx Guard skin finished any boss wave (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) on Hardcore Horde

'What does this button do?' is the only hard achievement there. I don't know what to think of 'It's Hammer Time.' Making Command Posts cheaper is good, but what will they do?

Has anyone been experiencing slightly foggy/grainy graphics and an unattractive speed reduction in the overall game since last night's server maintenance?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Will playing Big Head mode, Ticker Horde...etc. count as the events needed to unlock the Golden Gear character?[/QUOTE]

Yes, playing in epic special events gets you closer to getting that medal, and unlocking golden gear. Ill will be playing during both of these events, and any other event until i get the gold medal. You probably only have to play 1 match for it to count, so nothing too serious.

I need help going through 4 player co-op on insane. I've gotten through the first 3 acts, but it's so hard to find what i need with enough players in act 4 that I've just been skipping around forever, going nowhere. Please if some CAGs could add me to go through acts 4 and 5 on insane, I'd be grateful.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I need help going through 4 player co-op on insane. I've gotten through the first 3 acts, but it's so hard to find what i need with enough players that I've just been skipping around forever. Please if some CAGs could add me to go through acts 4 and 5 on insane, I'd be grateful.[/QUOTE]

Standard or Arcade? I've already beaten the game on Insane and wouldn't mind playing through it again as I need the 4 player co-op achievement as well.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I wonder if the horde ticker event will work in private matches. I was gunna do it solo on drydock, sit on those metal beams they wouldnt be able to get to me on and shoot them all, upgrading all my stuff as i go. But it might be online only. Not sure if playing on insane earns you more money than casual or not. Can anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about the spot under the bridge where the grenades usually spawn? If so, that's a pretty good idea. I was wondering if there would be a spot on any of the maps the tickers couldn't get you ala Security on GOW2.

I don't think Insane nets you any more money unfortunately. You would however get the Onyx medal for completing all 50 waves on Insane (& possibly completing all 50 waves in one session medal as well).

[quote name='MtlTom']Are you talking about the spot under the bridge where the grenades usually spawn? If so, that's a pretty good idea.[/QUOTE]

No, I think he means the metal beams on the top portion of Drydock. Not many people know that it is possible to run across them, although they completely leave you open to fire.

If anyone has a little bit of time free, me and my buddy are trying to finish co-op with 4 players. We only need to beat the last boss and the Bezerker fight. We're looking for two people to help us beat those last two boss fights while playing on Casual (I'll be on Insane).

Shoot me a message on Live if you can help. Thanks

[quote name='dotCody']No, I think he means the metal beams on the top portion of Drydock. Not many people know that it is possible to run across them, although they completely leave you open to fire.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there is a metal beam on each side of the long middle path up top that you can jump over the barriers to get to. Tickers wont be able to touch you unless their explosions can hit you from below (outside of where the nades spawn) but i dont think it would be that close.

im going positive more, still getting robbed yes. overall i had an ok day. just mild bullS***

the game needs to allow you to LEAVE WITH PARTY

in one match it separated a guy and his guest it was funny until my team lost :p

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I wasn't directing my post to you timesplitt[/QUOTE]
i figured as much after, i was just reeling from an awful day

Have they said whether or not it's explicitly Tickers the entire game? Do people want to try and go for an Insane Horde game (this is if the event transfers over to private games)? You get more XP with Insane, and even more with 5 people from the survival bonus. I have everything maximum upgraded so I wouldn't mind helping people with this.

Also, don't forget that Rod said they're trying to get a Torque Bow Tag Event going this weekend, so keep watch for that. It's not definite, as they weren't sure if they had enough time to slot it for all regions, but they're trying.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I need help going through 4 player co-op on insane. I've gotten through the first 3 acts, but it's so hard to find what i need with enough players in act 4 that I've just been skipping around forever, going nowhere. Please if some CAGs could add me to go through acts 4 and 5 on insane, I'd be grateful.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to help. I'll add you. You can add me as well.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Also, don't forget that Rod said they're trying to get a Torque Bow Tag Event going this weekend, so keep watch for that. It's not definite, as they weren't sure if they had enough time to slot it for all regions, but they're trying.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this time everyone starts with a torque instead of having to race and try to pick one up. :roll:

[quote name='The 7th Number']Hopefully this time everyone starts with a torque instead of having to race and try to pick one up. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Yeah he said they're gonna try to figure out how to spawn everyone with one because last time it just turned into a shotgun battle

I ended up getting through everything on insane, but not all with 4 players. I have like a smattering of levels I need to get through to get the 4-player-co-op achievement (1.1, 4.3, 5.2, 5.5).

[quote name='The 7th Number']Hopefully this time everyone starts with a torque instead of having to race and try to pick one up. :roll:[/QUOTE]

If they do, expect people to get the Socialite Achievement this weekend.

Yeah during the stream Rod said they can change everyone's starting loadouts and spawn weapons. And according to his twitter they will shoot for next weekend for Torque Bow Tag (Oct. 14).

Finally finished campaign tonight, had multiple out of town trips when the game came out and then got sick so it took a while. I managed to avoid every spoiler possible - who lives and dies, Carmine's fate, how it ends, etc. The only thing I had spoiled for me was that they (spoiler]used Mad World[/spoiler] again during the game, and of course that's probably the thing I would have not wanted spoiled MOST. Oh well.

Finally finished campaign tonight, had multiple out of town trips when the game came out and then got sick so it took a while. I managed to avoid every spoiler possible - who lives and dies, Carmine's fate, how it ends, etc. The only thing I had spoiled for me was that they
used Mad World
again during the game, and of course that's probably the thing I would have not wanted spoiled MOST. Oh well.

[quote name='100xp']that doesn't sound bad at all.

does it need to be consecutive?[/QUOTE]No its a medal.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Five events for the Golden Gear, but you need like 30 for the Socialite achievement, right?[/QUOTE]dunno

[quote name='sendme']Just read that the controller comes with skins for the guns. Anyone know what they look like?[/QUOTE]
gear-of-war-3-infected-omen-lancer.jpg
and it pulsates

[quote name='GUNNM']
gear-of-war-3-infected-omen-lancer.jpg
and it pulsates[/QUOTE]
Looks totally awesome in-game, I traded my Savage Kantus code for the IO skins and I'm so glad I did.

Oooo...it pulsates. Thanks for the info.

The haze skin looks pretty decent, it's looks a lot more like jungle camo than anything...looks awesome for most of the non-urban maps.

Savage Kantus looks awesome. My favorite skin in the game.

[quote name='100xp']Oooo...it pulsates. Thanks for the info.

The haze skin looks pretty decent, it's looks a lot more like jungle camo than anything...looks awesome for most of the non-urban maps.[/QUOTE]
Did you download the haze skin when it was free?

[quote name='GUNNM']Savage Kantus looks awesome. My favorite skin in the game.

Did you download the haze skin when it was free?[/QUOTE]

curious...wouldn't you have been able to get a decent amount for Kantus on ebay and used the profit to buy a gears controller? even though DLC for DLC is totally a smart and fair trade.

Yeah, I was able to get in on the free haze skin, which apparently unlocked the crimson omen lancer skin? (if I'm reading the posts earlier correctly, which also looks nice it just doesn't pluse)

[quote name='100xp']curious...wouldn't you have been able to get a decent amount for Kantus on ebay and used the profit to buy a gears controller? even though DLC for DLC is totally a smart and fair trade.[/QUOTE]
Personally, selling DLC codes on eBay makes me way too nervous... I'd much rather make a clean trade with another CAG than worry about getting screwed by a dishonest buyer.

[quote name='100xp']curious...wouldn't you have been able to get a decent amount for Kantus on ebay and used the profit to buy a gears controller? even though DLC for DLC is totally a smart and fair trade.

Yeah, I was able to get in on the free haze skin, which apparently unlocked the crimson omen lancer skin? (if I'm reading the posts earlier correctly, which also looks nice it just doesn't pluse)[/QUOTE]
I got both. I bought the console from gamestop and someone traded my dom code for kantus. #winning

@Ryuukiski - fair enough, i'm seeing the prices for the DLC skins are avg about $20-$30. If I could sell my walmart code for that price it I'd would just get the controller or even go as far as buying the whole weapon bundle. (side note - strange seeing you with an avatar that doesn't showcase a ingame female character or anime chic for a change)

@GUNNM - yeah, I managed to get all the preorder DLC skins through trading except the Kantus one. If I had known I would have enjoyed Gears so much I would have participated in the beta. oh well.

I was going to get the console but timing was the main issue for me when sellingmy Resident evil elite to someone. If I had waited til gears console released I probably would have gotten $60 less for my sale...and currently the gears console didn't offer a $40 GC, I got the $75 GC from BB for the 250 elite.

bread's done
Back